Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Naked Lunch (Blu-ray)
£24.99
12 hrs ago
Back to the Future: The Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
£30.65

House of the Dragon 4K (Blu-ray)
£40.00

Lovers Lane (Blu-ray)
£17.99
12 hrs ago
House of the Dragon (Blu-ray)
£25.00
1 day ago
Schindler's List 4K (Blu-ray)
£12.76
6 hrs ago
The Matrix Resurrections 4K (Blu-ray)
£12.14
10 hrs ago
In the Mood for Love (Blu-ray)
£17.99
1 day ago
Beast (Blu-ray)
£9.99
1 day ago
Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore (Blu-ray)
£6.99
1 day ago
Westworld: Season Four - The Choice (Blu-ray)
£24.99

Maniac (Blu-ray)
£16.99
20 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 04-04-2022, 04:26 PM   #261
Expert Member

Apr 2010
UK

This is hands down the worst packaged set I've ever seen. 18 discs. 12 hubs. A shit tonne of rattlers when I opened it. I hate stacked discs. No room for the meagre booklet with the contents (4 pages) in the case, so it just sits in the slipcase. As fancy as the packaging on the Aussie set is, this is the exact opposite. Contents-wise, this is a bargain at under £50, but be prepared to make custom cases.
Thanks given by:
Aclea (04-06-2022), mar3o (04-06-2022), royalrusts (04-06-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 01:45 AM   #262
Expert Member

Jul 2011
Tampa FL area

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
It's there and it's on all sets. Many people just don't notice it. Look at the very edge of your screen right where the frame begins. That's where the blue line is, top to bottom. Season 1 has it, season 2 doesn't.
Well i don't see it with all my OPPO players and OLED tv's.
Old 04-06-2022, 10:29 AM   #263
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2013
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Do you have “just scan” or whatever Sony calls it turned on? If not you won’t see it.
Old 04-06-2022, 11:59 AM   #264
Expert Member

Jul 2011
Tampa FL area

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
Do you have “just scan” or whatever Sony calls it turned on? If not you won’t see it.
I have no clue. I just don't see it is all i know.
Old 04-06-2022, 06:06 PM   #265
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011

Quote:
Don't know what to tell you. I've even taken screenshots of it with my software on my PC. It's on all copies of year one on blu-ray world-wide. If you don't see it, you don't know what to look for. Turn down the lights and look at the far right side of the screen, right at the screen's edge. It's there - I guarantee it.
Old 04-06-2022, 06:08 PM   #266
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent999 View Post
This is hands down the worst packaged set I've ever seen. 18 discs. 12 hubs. A shit tonne of rattlers when I opened it. I hate stacked discs. No room for the meagre booklet with the contents (4 pages) in the case, so it just sits in the slipcase. As fancy as the packaging on the Aussie set is, this is the exact opposite. Contents-wise, this is a bargain at under £50, but be prepared to make custom cases.
I have Network's original releases, and the Australian set, which is very nice. After the nice Super Space Theatre release with 5 separate cases with original theatrical artwork, it's a shame to see a release like this get such poor treatment. What were they thinking? And the cover "art" is laughably poor.
Thanks given by:
agent999 (04-06-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 07:07 PM   #267
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2012

The earlier sets were aimed at the reserved seat carriage trade with all the mod cons. The new set is for the charabanc crowd at popular prices.
Old 04-07-2022, 12:17 PM   #268
Expert Member

Jul 2011
Tampa FL area

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
Don't know what to tell you. I've even taken screenshots of it with my software on my PC. It's on all copies of year one on blu-ray world-wide. If you don't see it, you don't know what to look for. Turn down the lights and look at the far right side of the screen, right at the screen's edge. It's there - I guarantee it.
Don't you have PAL where you live? Maybe the scan rate is diff? I am watching Year 2 now and will really try to see it with my hacked Sony player. I am Episode 2.
Old 04-07-2022, 01:39 PM   #269
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2013
UK

Quote:
Don't you have PAL where you live? Maybe the scan rate is diff? I am watching Year 2 now and will really try to see it with my hacked Sony player. I am Episode 2.
You won't see it at all if you have any overscan on your TV going on. That's what I was trying to stress to you earlier, and is what some people have done to get rid of it while viewing. PAL has nothing to do with it, the discs have the same 1080p24 transfers worldwide for the episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I always used a lil' dab of overscan to get rid of the line.
Old 04-07-2022, 04:49 PM   #270

Mar 2013
United Kingdom

Quote:
Year 2 doesn't have the issue, only year 1. I tried to take a photo of my TV below, it's at the very far right of the screen, the blue lines:

In all honesty I didn't even see them the first time I watched the set too. Only after it was pointed out here did I look and have that "Oh yeah, now I see it" moment. As others have said there's a very good chance your TV is over scanning the image so you won't've seen them.
Old 04-07-2022, 07:23 PM   #271
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011

Quote:
- That line is visible even if you rip the blu-ray to your hard drive using software, or view the blu-ray with a PC software player. Again, it is on all blu-ray releases of year one worldwide, because they all use the exact same master, which had this flaw that nobody caught. It's minor, but it's there. It doesn't affect the 4:3 image of the episode itself - It's on the far, far right side of the screen edge, right at the edge of the TV's screen, not the 4:3 edge of the episode.

- It is not on year 2, as year two was remastered by Network many years later. It's only on year one, which was remastered in part by the BBC well over a decade ago.

If you're still not seeing it even after looking closely for it, your TV might be set to overscan in your picture settings, which means the TV crops in slightly in all 4 directions. That would hide the line, but cut off a bit of image on all four sides.

I will also mention that the line isn't as bright on all 24 year one episodes, which is odd. It seems to be more noticeable/brighter on some episodes than others. Some it's rather bright, some it's pretty dim.
Old 04-13-2022, 01:20 AM   #272
Expert Member

Jul 2011
Tampa FL area

I will try this fall when i start looking at Year 1 again. I am at episode 5 now on Year 2.
Old 05-25-2022, 12:31 PM   #273
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011

The Network Super Space Theater set has a couple embarrassing typos in Journey Through the Black Sun during the opening credits:

- The Barry Morse credit appears as "Staring Barry Morse"

- The Anthony Terpiloff credit appears as Anthony Terriloff

Doesn't anybody spell-check anymore? This isn't just on the box - it's the titles that appear in the film.

This affects the new opening titles. The original titles that are included as an extra show they were spelled correctly originally.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:36 PM   #274

Apr 2021
UK

Getting the name of the actor wrong is a common mistake with rebuilt titles.

Have seen a few time on the Doctor Who BDs where they get names wrong as they work with clean titles and then overlay new computer generated titles over the top.

They aren't restoring that segment with the titles already burnt in.
Old 05-26-2022, 08:48 AM   #275
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011

Sadly, that does happen, which is why I hate recreated titles, since I know how common mistakes are with spelling. The new titles do look terrific. At least they spelled Barry Morse correctly, and just misspelled "staring".

Journey Thorough the Black Sun in widescreen was odd because it had an entirely new pre-credits sequence which was very similar to Destination Moonbase Alpha. So it wasn't even just recreating the original titles - it was an entirely new title sequence, and that threw me off. At least Alien Attack actually recreated the original titles almost exactly the same.
Old 06-16-2022, 08:09 AM   #276

Mar 2012
Sweden

I just sampled "Journey Through the Black Sun" and the "original movie version soundtrack" sounded very weird. LPCM 2.0.
I normally matrix every 2.0 track into PLIIx but got most sound from left surround speaker!
I tried with straight stereo but it sounded very off, like the left and right were out of phase or something, I got a very odd sound placement experience.
So what is the "original movie version soundtrack"?
Is it supposed to be a stereo soundtrack or just mono 2.0 or what?
Old 06-17-2022, 09:05 PM   #277
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011

Maybe it's worth sending an email to Network asking about this question in case they can answer it? They probably couldn't answer but the frustrating thing is somebody there must know.
Old 06-17-2022, 10:22 PM   #278
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2013
UK

It sounds like an error, either out of phase as you say or just the channel levels badly mismatched.
Old 09-29-2022, 01:14 PM   #279
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2018

Question about Moonbase: Alpha and the rest of the movies. I'm correct in hearing that the version of the former on both the Bringers of Wonder BD and Imprint Complete Series BD set is sourced from a 35mm release print? (and also reporditly opens with a BBFC rating card and an ITC Film Distributors logo)

People are also saying Moonbase: Alpha on the Super Space Theater BD and the Network Ultimate Collection BD set is an HD reconstruction with OCN epsiode footage and rebuilt titles, and the widescreen version has some VFX touchups? I imagine the HD reconstructions dont have the ITC Film Distributors logo unless they added it to them?

Now in a more confusing twist, Alien Attack, Journey to the Black Sun, and Cosmic Princess on the Imprint Complete Series are believed to be from the original, unaltered 35mm versions while the versions on the Super Space Theater and Network Ultimate Collection BDs, are said to be HD reconstructions simluar to the new version of Moonbase: Alpha.

Supposidly, the widescreen versions of Alien Attack to Cosmic Princess run slightly longer while the 4:3 versions of Black Sun and Princess are longer on the Imprint BDs than they are on the SST/UC BDs. I also hear that the reconstructed versions on the SST/UC BD set open with the ITC "Spinning Diamonds" TV logo (as Alien Attack to Cosmic Princess were TV movies after all), while the versions being derived from 35mm elements are actually UK release prints sporting an ITC Film Distrubutors logo up front.

Can anyone confirm?
Old 10-04-2022, 06:53 AM   #280
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2018

Got my Super Space Theatre BD set in and checked discs 14-18 first thing since those are new. Discs 1-13 are the old Network BD sets and being older HD masters done by ITV lack ITC logos (except for the VHS sourced US syndication opening on the disc 7 bonus features DVD).

Normally I could care less about packaging and just go for the main course, but the case and disc structuring is one of the worst I've ever seen! Discs stacked on top of another and kinda hard to get out, plus some were and can get loose inside. Luckily nothing got scratched and everything played back fine. Guess that's why this set was so cheap I only paid about $55 for mine (via Amazon Global Store) vs $120 for the Imprint and Shout sets.

All 4 films are reconstructions and have most of the 35mm footage assembled from the episode HD masters (which were done off the OCNs back in 2008). Some shots not in the series episodes, like the additional footage for Alien Attack, are definitely recent scans from 35mm OCN elements. Compare them to the episode HD footage and notice the new material has a fine grain pattern compared to the filtered look of the rest of the HD episode footage. All 4 have the ITC Spinning Diamonds logo at the beginning (even the widescreen versions, which have them weirdly expanded on the sides and not just a zoom-in job).

These all have digitally rebuilt opening & closing credits on both 1.37 and 1.78 versions, sometimes not in the original font and having new CG VFX combined with 35mm elements. The 1.78 versions also have the series intro before the opening credits. The widescreen version of Destination: Moonbase Alpha does not have the text scroll and has shortened narration in the opening credits (to account for the added series intro and remove references not in the original series like taking place in the year 2100). The opening and closing credits for Journey to the Black Sun and Cosmic Princess are not only totally redone, but completely different from the originals (done on SD betatape as they were TV movies) which are included as extras.

Several shots in the 1.78 versions have tons of digital recompositing and entirely new CG VFX (sometimes very tacky), most noticeable with scenes that have both practical and CG addons in the same shot, and one morphing effect (which is intact in the 1.37 version) was totally redone! Luckily, Network gave us (mostly 80%) original versions of the Space: 1999 features in the 1.37 versions. The alternate widescreen versions are nice curios (since the series was shot for a widescreen crop in mind as Moonbase: Alpha and Alien Attack were UK theatrical releases), but the expanded and remade stuff reek of Star Wars SE levels of revisionism (I should add 60's Star Trek also has elements completely redone with tacky looking CG, but Paramount hasn't had the heart to include the original elements in some form or another).

As for audio, there are choices of "movie" 2.0 tracks for the 1.37 versions and "episodic" 2.0 tracks for the 1.78 versions. The latter "episodic" tracks are brand new remixes utilizing the production M/D/E stems and the stock soundtrack libraries. Despite being 2.0 they're also surround encoded, so playback through DPL IIx or DTS Neo-6 will yeild a 5.1 approximation to the series 5.1 tracks (why these SST versions don't have a 5.1 version in even DD is anyone's guess, but it probably has to do with disc space and time/budget constraints).

The "movie" tracks are not entirely the original mixes ether. Some brief sections of audio are reconstructed from the master recording elements and the opening/closing credits music are pure stereo. Technically these are dual mono tracks with small sections in L/R stereo, so any processing will send the stereo sections to 4 channels but the mono info out the front right and back rear channels. Best play these "direct".
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland