Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
John Wick: Chapter 4 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99
 
The Night of the Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
1 day ago
Scream VI 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.96
2 hrs ago
Danza Macabra Vol. One: The Italian Gothic Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.99
1 day ago
Mexico Macabre: Four Sinister Tales from the Alameda Films Vault, 1959-1963 (Blu-ray)
$49.99
 
Marquis de Sade's Justine 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.51
23 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapter 4 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
25 min ago
Scream 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99
1 day ago
The Fast and the Furious 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.96
7 hrs ago
The Last of Us: The Complete First Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99
 
Party Girl (Blu-ray)
$20.61
1 day ago
Star Trek: The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2021, 03:05 PM   #29541
Ender14 Ender14 is offline
Expert Member
 
Ender14's Avatar
 
Dec 2014
Georgia
382
1074
186
404
120
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Right now I would settle for True Lies and The Abyss on BD. Doubt it will happen but both those titles would be great candidates for a new immersive audio mix.
Well if Cameron will ever stop playing in Pandora and approve the transfers we may get them in 4K as well. This shows Disney is willing to release the Fox catalog in 4K.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 03:34 PM   #29542
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
123
870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender14 View Post
Exciting news for those worried that Disney would abandon physical, especially concerning Fox releases:



Source: https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/m...ts/020221-1500
Disney were never going to abandon discs imo.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bhampton (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 04:12 PM   #29543
bhampton bhampton is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
bhampton's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
617
2127
38
5
18
Default

Wendell,

Are those the reason for your DVHS ? .... Surely one of the only survivors of that format must be True Lies.

I for one never thought Disney showed any indication they are moving away from UHD BD ... I have more Disney UHD BD than any other studio and likewise have zero interest in D+
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 04:42 PM   #29544
Ender14 Ender14 is offline
Expert Member
 
Ender14's Avatar
 
Dec 2014
Georgia
382
1074
186
404
120
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Disney were never going to abandon discs imo.
I never thought that for high profile Disney releases but was worried about the Fox catalog. This just goes to show that Disney knows there is still money to be made in physical regardless of declines.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (02-05-2021), Steedeel (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 04:49 PM   #29545
Wendell R. Breland Wendell R. Breland is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
North Carolina
87
681
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
Wendell,

Are those the reason for your DVHS ? .... Surely one of the only survivors of that format must be True Lies.
I do have True Lies on D-Theater tape also have it on Vudu. Also have quite a few episodes like CSI (from OTA), it is fun to play some of the tapes ever once in a while just for nostalgia. It was so exciting in the early 2000's to see T2 in HD on a flat panel in my office or in the auditorium on a 15' Stewart screen with a Hughes/JVC projector and 3.4.2 THX JBL's (5.2 Dolby Digital). For fun look at what sellers are asking for D-Theater tapes here.

Quote:
I for one never thought Disney showed any indication they are moving away from UHD BD ... I have more Disney UHD BD than any other studio and likewise have zero interest in D+
Have several myself. IMHO, if there is money to be made then product will be made available. We sub to Disney+ when new episodes of Mandalorian is available then suspend account when finished. Will not purchase if series comes to disc. For us the PFRV = 0.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:34 PM   #29546
JohnAV JohnAV is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Sep 2009
Silicon Valley - where you never run out of toys!
223
821
80
243
31
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender14 View Post
Exciting news for those worried that Disney would abandon physical, especially concerning Fox releases:
Source: https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/m...ts/020221-1500
Lets not forget it was Bill Hunt that spread that Yes, it appears that Disney currently has no plans for more live-action catalog on physical 4K rumor. Number of sites used his comments as source. This guy will say anything to boost his site hits.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bhampton (02-03-2021), Steedeel (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 06:39 PM   #29547
JohnAV JohnAV is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Sep 2009
Silicon Valley - where you never run out of toys!
223
821
80
243
31
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender14 View Post
I never thought that for high profile Disney releases but was worried about the Fox catalog. This just goes to show that Disney knows there is still money to be made in physical regardless of declines.
I don't think they ever changed their views on that. It was just a time where pandemic required a portion of their media business to go idle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:32 PM   #29548
bhampton bhampton is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
bhampton's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
617
2127
38
5
18
BJ's Wholesale Club

Is your gizmo out of warranty? If so it's possible some of it's features will just be dis-abled via remote control for seemingly no reason (apart from the suggestion you forgot to upgrade to the latest)

https://9to5mac.com/2021/02/03/older...ng-next-month/

Some people with older ATV devices will have YouTube removed from the device. Why ? ... I guess because you really shouldn't be having this old stuff when they have new stuff they want to sell ya. But actually because the deals they worked for this content have expired on those devices.

Vintage products are those that have not been sold for more than five and less than seven years, and they may or may not be able to receive service based on parts inventories and legal requirements.

Obsolete products are those that have been discontinued for at least seven years, and Apple does not provide any hardware service for these products.

Wandering if you gizmo is obsolete? Well if it hasn't been sold in 7 years it is and it's that simple. Apple doesn't just want you to subscribe to content they want you to subscribe to everything they sell.

My obsolete 2010 Mac Mini can play 24/96 audio over HDMI
My brand new 2020 M1 Mac Mini can not

They abandon hardware after 5 years but people think the $4.99 iTunes movie purchase will be supported until the end of time.

Last edited by bhampton; 02-03-2021 at 09:51 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Ender14 (02-03-2021), Steedeel (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 10:07 PM   #29549
JohnAV JohnAV is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Sep 2009
Silicon Valley - where you never run out of toys!
223
821
80
243
31
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
Is your gizmo out of warranty? If so it's possible some of it's features will just be dis-abled via remote control for seemingly no reason (apart from the suggestion you forgot to upgrade to the latest)

https://9to5mac.com/2021/02/03/older...ng-next-month/

Some people with older ATV devices will have YouTube removed from the device. Why ? ... I guess because you really shouldn't be having this old stuff when they have new stuff they want to sell ya. But actually because the deals they worked for this content have expired on those devices.

Vintage products are those that have not been sold for more than five and less than seven years, and they may or may not be able to receive service based on parts inventories and legal requirements.

Obsolete products are those that have been discontinued for at least seven years, and Apple does not provide any hardware service for these products.

Wandering if you gizmo is obsolete? Well if it hasn't been sold in 7 years it is and it's that simple. Apple doesn't just want you to subscribe to content they want you to subscribe to everything they sell.

My obsolete 2010 Mac Mini can play 24/96 audio over HDMI
My brand new 2020 M1 Mac Mini can not

They abandon hardware after 5 years but people think the $4.99 iTunes movie purchase will be supported until the end of time.
I have a couple of those petite 3rd gen Apple TVs (2012/2013) not cable of running tvOS (variant of iOS), nothing new here with the apps running on that standalone environment not supporting modern app requirements.

Regarding https://discussions.apple.com/thread...2#254073239022

Why don't you sign up to be a public beta tester for macOS Big Sur 11.3 beta (20E5172i) February 2, 2021? So you point out these issue/limitation with Feedback Assistant concerning "HDMI output limited to 48Hz"

Please note this new beta hasn't come out yet for PB testers, real soon. It came out for Devs yesterday. Did you update to 11.2?

Last edited by JohnAV; 02-03-2021 at 10:12 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bhampton (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 10:20 PM   #29550
bhampton bhampton is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
bhampton's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
617
2127
38
5
18
Default

I do run beta on my watch and my ATV4K and my iPhone. I did update to 11.2 and rechecked this issue.
(And .. that's MY post you are referencing ... maybe you know that.)

I suppose I could run beta on my computer ... It's so new I hadn't really thought of that.

When I discovered I couldn't replace my 2010 MM with the new one, I setup the new one as like a regular ole desktop computer which I"m using to post this ... in other words I have kind of lost sight of the issue because I kind of stopped caring.

Thing about that though... I mentioned getting the new Mac mini on Jriver forums and the initial response was very negative and then they turned around and had a Native Apple Silicon version of the app out in almost no time. Before Plex did. They still follow the issue and I sort of think that I should too even though I have given up using the new machine for it's original intended purpose.

Edit - I also did submit feedback to Apple regarding the Audio issue today. You don't have to be enrolled in the beta program to request features

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

-Brian

Last edited by bhampton; 02-03-2021 at 10:31 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:32 PM   #29551
JohnAV JohnAV is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Sep 2009
Silicon Valley - where you never run out of toys!
223
821
80
243
31
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
(And .. that's MY post you are referencing ... maybe you know that.)
I do. Made it a lot easier to understand the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
I suppose I could run beta on my computer ... It's so new I hadn't really thought of that.
Just make sure you back up the computer. A external 256 GB SSD maybe. 11.2 changing to 11.3 beta seems to be advanced enough that we are past some of the initial risks for M1 Mac users. Like people stupidly trying to wipe and reinstall brand new OS on a brand new Mac with the first OS that supported that hardware. Yes there were a few that did that to their brand new Macs. why?

Always repair/reinstall if you have it backed up from the boot repair menu if you ever come to that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:35 PM   #29552
bhampton bhampton is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
bhampton's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
617
2127
38
5
18
Thumbs up

In regards to back up, ... there's nothing on the computer.... I just use it to surf for now and read the news.

My kids all have MacBook Airs and those back up to a NAS using Time Machine.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:59 AM   #29553
gotmule gotmule is offline
Special Member
 
gotmule's Avatar
 
Feb 2010
20
17
Default

March 23 is shaping up to big one of the biggest release days in a long, long time.

WW84 4K
News of the World 4K
Soul 4K
Godzilla (2014) 4K
Gattaca 4K

I am for sure picking up 4 of the 5.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bhampton (02-04-2021), Ender14 (02-04-2021), Steedeel (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 01:52 AM   #29554
alchav21 alchav21 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
alchav21's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
ST George, Utah
1
2
2
52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmule View Post
March 23 is shaping up to big one of the biggest release days in a long, long time.

WW84 4K
News of the World 4K
Soul 4K
Godzilla (2014) 4K
Gattaca 4K

I am for sure picking up 4 of the 5.
This brings up a question I have, are you planning on spending over or under $100 for the 4 UHD Discs? We all like deals, but it's costly to make good 4K UHD Movies. With Discs sales going down, and revenues from UHD below 5% what do you think is a good price to pay for an UHD Movie? Walmart says that $15 is the Sweet Point for Disc Sales. bhampton doesn't want to pay more than $20 for WW84, and most here are happy paying $10 or less for 4K Discs. I don't know the pricing of making good 4K UHD Discs, but I think it's more than you guys are willing to pay!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 02:16 AM   #29555
JohnAV JohnAV is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Sep 2009
Silicon Valley - where you never run out of toys!
223
821
80
243
31
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
I don't know the pricing of making good 4K UHD Discs
I cut out all your other statements, because you seldom get to any point when you post.

Why not monitor the pricing of March 23rd week using Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals then you would know.

Last edited by JohnAV; 02-04-2021 at 03:05 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 04:10 AM   #29556
alchav21 alchav21 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
alchav21's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
ST George, Utah
1
2
2
52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
I cut out all your other statements, because you seldom get to any point when you post.

Why not monitor the pricing of March 23rd week using Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals then you would know.
I'm not interested in deals, I'm talking about Profit Margins and if it's worth it for the Studios and Distributors to make 4K UHD Discs. If the Cost is too high, and the ROI is not there then Disc Distribution will diminish!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:31 AM   #29557
JohnAV JohnAV is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Sep 2009
Silicon Valley - where you never run out of toys!
223
821
80
243
31
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
I'm not interested in deals, I'm talking about Profit Margins and if it's worth it for the Studios and Distributors to make 4K UHD Discs. If the Cost is too high, and the ROI is not there then Disc Distribution will diminish!
Seriously enjoy life instead of trying to pretend your knowledgable.

  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (02-04-2021), Ender14 (02-04-2021), Steedeel (02-04-2021), Wendell R. Breland (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 04:33 AM   #29558
JohnAV JohnAV is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Sep 2009
Silicon Valley - where you never run out of toys!
223
821
80
243
31
2
Default

Need a diversion since alchav21 is posting,

  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 11:10 AM   #29559
CV19 CV19 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
CV19's Avatar
 
Apr 2017
England
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Right now I would settle for True Lies and The Abyss on BD. Doubt it will happen but both those titles would be great candidates for a new immersive audio mix.
Forgive me if you've already looked at this, but there is a Spanish blu-ray of True Lies available (currently 15.00 from Amazon Spain).

More often than not, Spanish discs are usually bootlegs but I have read mixed comments in this case, with some saying they are genuine pressed discs and others saying they are BD-R's.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/True-...lu-ray/269975/
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:55 AM   #29560
PenguinInfinity PenguinInfinity is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Apr 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV19 View Post
Forgive me if you've already looked at this, but there is a Spanish blu-ray of True Lies available (currently €15.00 from Amazon Spain).

More often than not, Spanish discs are usually bootlegs but I have read mixed comments in this case, with some saying they are genuine pressed discs and others saying they are BD-R's.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/True-...lu-ray/269975/
True Lies is a bootleg on a pressed disc. It is not illegal due to different copyright laws in Spain but it is not officially licensed so it is therefore by definition a bootleg.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:27 PM.