Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
John Wick: Chapter 4 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.53
1 day ago
Mexico Macabre: Four Sinister Tales from the Alameda Films Vault, 1959-1963 (Blu-ray)
$49.99
20 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapter 4 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.53
1 day ago
John Wick: Chapter 4 (Blu-ray)
$24.72
1 day ago
Danza Macabra Vol. One: The Italian Gothic Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.99
2 hrs ago
Soundies: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
1 day ago
Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
1 day ago
Blackhat 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
 
The Last of Us: The Complete First Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99
 
Shazam! Fury of the Gods 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
 
Insidious 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Pasolini 101 (Blu-ray)
$174.99
2 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2016, 10:22 PM   #1801
alchav21 alchav21 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
alchav21's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
ST George, Utah
1
2
2
52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
I just wanted to reiterate my thoughts on this in light of recent events. I've always said digital is obviously more convenient for extremely large collections, but my preference will always be physical. Case in point...hurricane Matthew. I have had power through that storm this entire time (except for a one and a half hour window) but my internet/TV has been down for three days now. I can't stream anything. Luckily I have physical movies to keep me occupied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOz View Post
At the same time, a hurricane could roll through your house and destroy your physical movie collection, whereas a hurricane would do nothing to a digital collection.

I'm playing devil's advocate here, but of course physical media wins out for me too. I agree that ownership is having a copy on the shelf.
Yes, I don't wish disasters on anyone, but they happen and the best is to have both. If one gets wiped out you still have the other. As for having a copy on the shelf, a good record will help too. If you keep good records of your Digital Library, you should be able to retrieve anything missing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:44 AM   #1802
Themodafokinley Themodafokinley is offline
Member
 
Oct 2016
new York
9
167
1
52
Default

I'm doing more digital than physical atm, only getting movies I really like in physical disc.
Should start collecting 4k physical soon just need to get a 4k bd player, already have the TV.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:10 AM   #1803
Cranston37 Cranston37 is offline
Senior Member
 
Jul 2014
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
I just wanted to reiterate my thoughts on this in light of recent events. I've always said digital is obviously more convenient for extremely large collections, but my preference will always be physical. Case in point...hurricane Matthew. I have had power through that storm this entire time (except for a one and a half hour window) but my internet/TV has been down for three days now. I can't stream anything. Luckily I have physical movies to keep me occupied. I will never consider a digital library to truly be considered "ownership" when you also rely on a secondary service to access it.
Hurricane Matthew could also act as a counter argument - what if all your discs had been wiped out but your UV account remained safe? The only thing that matters though is that you are safe!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:13 AM   #1804
headphones headphones is offline
Expert Member
 
headphones's Avatar
 
Mar 2016
Don't worry about it.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
I just wanted to reiterate my thoughts on this in light of recent events. I've always said digital is obviously more convenient for extremely large collections, but my preference will always be physical. Case in point...hurricane Matthew. I have had power through that storm this entire time (except for a one and a half hour window) but my internet/TV has been down for three days now. I can't stream anything. Luckily I have physical movies to keep me occupied. I will never consider a digital library to truly be considered "ownership" when you also rely on a secondary service to access it.
When I buy something on digital, I don't need internet access to view it though. I can access it without no service at all. Never had a problem regarding that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:19 AM   #1805
headphones headphones is offline
Expert Member
 
headphones's Avatar
 
Mar 2016
Don't worry about it.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themodafokinley View Post
I'm doing more digital than physical atm, only getting movies I really like in physical disc.
Pretty much my thoughts in a nutshell. I only get movies I plan on watching at least 4 or 5 times a year. With the exception of a few movies that haven't been released on bluray. I pretty have every movie I'll ever want to own on bluray. I have about 25 or so. Everything else, I'll rent digitally. It's only $3.99 on amazon. A lot cheaper than the $14 movie ticket.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:16 AM   #1806
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
123
870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headphones View Post
Pretty much my thoughts in a nutshell. I only get movies I plan on watching at least 4 or 5 times a year. With the exception of a few movies that haven't been released on bluray. I pretty have every movie I'll ever want to own on bluray. I have about 25 or so. Everything else, I'll rent digitally. It's only $3.99 on amazon. A lot cheaper than the $14 movie ticket.
There are only 25 films you have ever wanted to keep? how old are you? 12!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:26 AM   #1807
PenguinMaster PenguinMaster is offline
Banned
 
May 2009
1800
380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headphones View Post
Pretty much my thoughts in a nutshell. I only get movies I plan on watching at least 4 or 5 times a year. With the exception of a few movies that haven't been released on bluray. I pretty have every movie I'll ever want to own on bluray. I have about 25 or so. Everything else, I'll rent digitally. It's only $3.99 on amazon. A lot cheaper than the $14 movie ticket.
A Blu-ray rental at Redbox is even cheaper.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:36 PM   #1808
Carlanga Carlanga is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Carlanga's Avatar
 
Feb 2013
I live where you vacation
5
604
62
472
590
572
1
1
81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headphones View Post
Pretty much my thoughts in a nutshell. I only get movies I plan on watching at least 4 or 5 times a year. With the exception of a few movies that haven't been released on bluray. I pretty have every movie I'll ever want to own on bluray. I have about 25 or so. Everything else, I'll rent digitally. It's only $3.99 on amazon. A lot cheaper than the $14 movie ticket.
IDK, I prefer to buy the BD, either sell part of the digital to recoup cost and have digital and physical or just sell the digital and watch it as many times as I want, most of my collection has cost less than your rental due to sales everywhere throughout the years. Plus not all movies that I like are available to rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston37 View Post
Hurricane Matthew could also act as a counter argument - what if all your discs had been wiped out but your UV account remained safe? The only thing that matters though is that you are safe!
Home Insurance can cover it, but as a counter argument to yours, what if UV decides to close down suddenly due to low sales of digital content it cannot be supported and you are left w no movies unless you download them and copy them onto a hard drive or discs that have less lifetime than a pressed disc and still with DRM so you are stuck w whatever can support the app, of course support of bd is dependent on bd players as well? In the end the only way to truly keep it basically forever is no drm digitalization and loading it into your personal cloud and backup.

Last edited by Carlanga; 10-13-2016 at 05:41 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
rui no onna (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 07:43 PM   #1809
headphones headphones is offline
Expert Member
 
headphones's Avatar
 
Mar 2016
Don't worry about it.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
There are only 25 films you have ever wanted to keep? how old are you? 12!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:49 PM   #1810
headphones headphones is offline
Expert Member
 
headphones's Avatar
 
Mar 2016
Don't worry about it.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlanga View Post
Home Insurance can cover it, but as a counter argument to yours, what if UV decides to close down suddenly due to low sales of digital content it cannot be supported and you are left w no movies unless you download them and copy them onto a hard drive or discs that have less lifetime than a pressed disc and still with DRM so you are stuck w whatever can support the app, of course support of bd is dependent on bd players as well? In the end the only way to truly keep it basically forever is no drm digitalization and loading it into your personal cloud and backup.
It wont close due to low sales. And they cant just legally take away movie you purchased. That's a class-action lawsuit waiting to happen. If anything, it would be bought out by a bigger company, like amazon, and everything would transfer over.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:58 PM   #1811
headphones headphones is offline
Expert Member
 
headphones's Avatar
 
Mar 2016
Don't worry about it.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlanga View Post
IDK, I prefer to buy the BD, either sell part of the digital to recoup cost and have digital and physical or just sell the digital and watch it as many times as I want, most of my collection has cost less than your rental due to sales everywhere throughout the years. Plus not all movies that I like are available to rent.
If they don't match the criteria of 'I'm going to watch it 4 or 5 times a year,' I consider it hoarding. I live in an apartment, and have very limited space. It's a waste of time for me to buy a movie, watch it once and sell it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:00 PM   #1812
headphones headphones is offline
Expert Member
 
headphones's Avatar
 
Mar 2016
Don't worry about it.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinMaster View Post
A Blu-ray rental at Redbox is even cheaper.
Maybe. But it's not easier by any means. I can rent a movie right from my TV with amazon, and I have 30 days to watch it. And titles are never unavailable.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:48 PM   #1813
PenguinMaster PenguinMaster is offline
Banned
 
May 2009
1800
380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headphones View Post
If they don't match the criteria of 'I'm going to watch it 4 or 5 times a year,' I consider it hoarding. I live in an apartment, and have very limited space. It's a waste of time for me to buy a movie, watch it once and sell it.
At $3.99 per rental, most movies are easy to find on Blu-ray for only a little higher than that. If you only watched a movie twice in your entire lifetime it would still be a better deal than your rentals.

Last edited by PenguinMaster; 10-13-2016 at 09:01 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:55 PM   #1814
headphones headphones is offline
Expert Member
 
headphones's Avatar
 
Mar 2016
Don't worry about it.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinMaster View Post
At $3.99 per rental, most movies are easy to find on Blu-ray for only a little higher than that. If you only watched a movie twice in your entire lifetime it would still be a better deal than your rentals.
It's not about the money. Otherwise I would just stream them illegally like everyone else. Saving a few extra dollars over the course of a lifetime, isn't worth the added inconvenience. I don't want to own a movie that I'm only gonna watch twice in my entire lifetime.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:01 PM   #1815
PenguinMaster PenguinMaster is offline
Banned
 
May 2009
1800
380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headphones View Post
And they cant just legally take away movie you purchased.
Think of the implication of what you are saying: digital providers are legally required to continue to provide support for every title they've ever offered for all time. That law would be absurd. I firmly believe that no company or individual should be required to provide support for anything forever but they also shouldn't make products that require their continued support.

Physical media doesn't require any companies' continued support. If I choose to I can still watch (and buy) any of titles released on VHS, LaserDisc, or HD DVD even though none of those products have any official support anymore.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:21 PM   #1816
headphones headphones is offline
Expert Member
 
headphones's Avatar
 
Mar 2016
Don't worry about it.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinMaster View Post
Think of the implication of what you are saying: digital providers are legally required to continue to provide support for every title they've ever offered for all time. That law would be absurd. I firmly believe that no company or individual should be required to provide support for anything forever but they also shouldn't make products that require their continued support.

Physical media doesn't require any companies' continued support. If I choose to I can still watch (and buy) any of titles released on VHS, LaserDisc, or HD DVD even though none of those products have any official support anymore.
I don't think it's absurd at all. There was a time when if a bank closed down, you lost all your life savings, and any interest forever. To me that's absurd. Point being. It doesnt work like that anymore.

I highly doubt a company would just shut down one day and say "everything you've ever bought is gone forever." That's a lawsuit in the making.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:35 PM   #1817
rui no onna rui no onna is offline
Expert Member
 
Sep 2016
-
-
-
-
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinMaster View Post
Physical media doesn't require any companies' continued support. If I choose to I can still watch (and buy) any of titles released on VHS, LaserDisc, or HD DVD even though none of those products have any official support anymore.
Not quite. Some newer Blu-ray discs require internet connected players with up-to-date firmware in order to play back the disc. DRM on Blu-ray is more invasive compared to DRM on DVD. There are several threads on AVSForum asking for help with troubleshooting HDCP. DRM on online services (iTunes, Amazon, Vudu, etc) is even more restrictive.

What's frustrating is pirates don't have to deal with the crap that consumers who go by legal avenues do.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:36 PM   #1818
PenguinMaster PenguinMaster is offline
Banned
 
May 2009
1800
380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headphones View Post
I don't think it's absurd at all. There was a time when if a bank closed down, you lost all your life savings, and any interest forever. To me that's absurd. Point being. It doesnt work like that anymore.

I highly doubt a company would just shut down one day and say "everything you've ever bought is gone forever." That's a lawsuit in the making.
I'm far more concerned about individual titles being removed than entire libraries being removed. Let's say your favorite movie is only available digitally. You buy the movie digitally through Amazon. The movie never becomes popular and 20 years from now it is removed and you can't download it or stream it anymore.

Do you really think you'd have a case? "I bought that movie 20 years ago for $10 and now I can't access it anymore." Even in the highly unlikely instance where they sided with you all you'd get is your $10 back. You still wouldn't have access to the movie anymore.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (10-14-2016), rui no onna (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 09:37 PM   #1819
rui no onna rui no onna is offline
Expert Member
 
Sep 2016
-
-
-
-
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headphones View Post
I don't think it's absurd at all. There was a time when if a bank closed down, you lost all your life savings, and any interest forever. To me that's absurd. Point being. It doesnt work like that anymore.

I highly doubt a company would just shut down one day and say "everything you've ever bought is gone forever." That's a lawsuit in the making.
There's no FDIC or NCUA for digital media purchases.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:38 PM   #1820
PenguinMaster PenguinMaster is offline
Banned
 
May 2009
1800
380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
Not quite. Some newer Blu-ray discs require internet connected players with up-to-date firmware in order to play back the disc. DRM on Blu-ray is more invasive compared to DRM on DVD. There are several threads on AVSForum asking for help with troubleshooting HDCP. DRM on online services (iTunes, Amazon, Vudu, etc) is even more restrictive.

What's frustrating is pirates don't have to deal with the crap that consumers who go by legal avenues do.
I have never connected any of my Blu-ray players to the internet and I've never had a problem playing any titles either. I'm just as strongly against physical media with online DRM as downloads and streaming, but I haven't encountered that problem on any Blu-rays.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:51 AM.