Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (iTunes)
$29.99

The Dark Knight Trilogy (iTunes)
$14.99

Seinfeld, The Complete Series (iTunes)
$49.99
16 hrs ago
Spider-Man: Far from Home (iTunes)
$9.99

Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (iTunes)
$49.99
16 hrs ago
DreamWorks 17-Movie Collection (iTunes)
$79.99

O Brother, Where Art Thou? (iTunes)
$7.99

Community, The Complete Series (iTunes)
$29.99
16 hrs ago
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (iTunes)
$7.99

How To Train Your Dragon Trilogy (iTunes)
$24.99

Star Trek: The Original Series (iTunes)
$39.99

The A-Team (iTunes)
$4.99
11 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies

Old 03-08-2020, 12:03 AM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2012
Default DC Ratings

Is there someplace where the quality of digital copies is rated? I purchased two recently from VUDU and even though they are marked HDX, they look like SD at best.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:36 AM   #2

Jan 2019
Singapore

The quality of digital streaming varies between the providers.

See this thread for a comparison https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=12
Old 03-08-2020, 12:37 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
The quality of digital streaming varies between the providers.

See this thread for a comparison https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=12
Thank you but I was more talking individual titles. I purchased two HDX codes at Vudu and they look SD at best (Jurassic Park & Christmas With The Kranks.)
Old 03-08-2020, 03:23 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2014

There is at least one site I found a couple months ago that reviews streaming versions (and had a review for a digital-only movie that I was at the time considering for purchase). I'll have to hunt that up again, but there are more digital-only movies than ever, and it would be nice for reviews to start including those.

Because: Vudu is the worst at providing "HDX" versions of movies that are total fake HD. (for the record, it's not been dismantled, but on Vudu HD = 720p and HDX = regular 1080p. This was more a thing in the earlier days of Vudu et al when there were much lower max bitrates in homes, and HD or even SD was the only way to watch something at the lower max).

Vudu probably upconverts an SD scan (e.g. your movies, or The Fighting Kentuckian, plenty of others) and passes it off as HD. Or buys an upconverted scan and sells that as HD.
Old 03-08-2020, 06:10 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze_Chamberlin View Post
Thank you but I was more talking individual titles. I purchased two HDX codes at Vudu and they look SD at best (Jurassic Park & Christmas With The Kranks.)
Those Movies should have Ported over to MA, have you checked the Quality there? I have a large Collection of Movies in Vudu, and most in HDX I find there Quality is Excellent. I have very few in SD, but I can tell the difference. What is your Display, Streaming Devise, set up, and Bandwidth? I'm a big advocate of Hard Wired as opposed to Wireless, and I think all of this makes a big difference in Streaming Quality.
Old 03-08-2020, 06:55 AM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Those Movies should have Ported over to MA, have you checked the Quality there? I have a large Collection of Movies in Vudu, and most in HDX I find there Quality is Excellent. I have very few in SD, but I can tell the difference. What is your Display, Streaming Devise, set up, and Bandwidth? I'm a big advocate of Hard Wired as opposed to Wireless, and I think all of this makes a big difference in Streaming Quality.
I'll check MA again and see, but I have a 4k smart TV that runs off wireless internet. I thought about slimming down my collection by using M2D but I'm wearing of what is actually HDX and what isn't.

I chose HDX of Christmas With the Kranks do to no Blu-Ray being available. If the copies were decent, I thought about getting Small Soldiers and What About Bob as well, but at this rate, I might as well stick with DVD.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:25 PM   #7

Apr 2014

Something that may also come into play is the app its self. I found this out just yesterday. I actually just happened to be comparing a couple tv's for my office that I had. A 43" TCL 4 series, and a 1080P Samsung TV that I picked up about 6 or so years ago.

I was using an Apple TV 4 (not 4k) on the Samsung and the Apple TV app on the TCL. I noticed that the TCL was very soft looking (like it had a lot of DNR on it) compared to the Samsung TV (which was very sharp) ... by a lot actually. It was enough that I did some checking to see if the TCL had a resolution control somewhere. I switched to VUDU on the TCL and noticed the same thing (TCL still looked very soft).

So I moved the Apple TV over to the TCL and all that smoothness went away and was very sharp (just like the Samsung was) and much more clear. So it appears that the device (or app) doing the decoding (in this case the TCL vs the Apple TV) can make a big difference. This may be a difference because the TCL was doing the decoding and smooths things out, maybe the Apple TV 4 pulls from a better source compared to what the app does (similar to how Apple TV streaming is a better quality to what can be downloaded). Regardless there was a noticeable difference.

Now this test was only using the TCL (both the VUDU and Apple TV+ app) vs the Apple TV 4 using the Jumanji: The Next Level movie to compare, but I don't have any reason to think it would have been different between movies. So, just something to consider as well.
Thanks given by:
Blaze_Chamberlin (03-08-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 06:26 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Good Streaming Video requires some important considerations. Display, Streaming Device, Connection, and Bandwidth. My Sony UHD 4K TV has Android Apps, and it's Hard Wired straight into a Fiber Feed Switch at 85Mbps Symmetrical. My Picture Quality and Sound are Excellent!
Thanks given by:
Blaze_Chamberlin (03-08-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies