Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Taza, Son of Cochise 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.89

Saw: The Final Chapter 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.86
20 hrs ago
3-D Rarities Volume II (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Goosebumps 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.04
5 hrs ago
Those Redheads from Seattle 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.35

Prototype 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.25

Spy Kids: All the Time in the World 3D (Blu-ray)
$10.11

Wonder Woman 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.58

Drive Angry 3D (Blu-ray)
$10.74

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology

Old 03-05-2020, 09:59 PM   #1

Mar 2018
Default Custom Mods to Newer TVs for 3D

A while back I heard of a shop in Chicago,IL that did country conversions and 3D firmware installations into newer sets. Allowing the use of B locked and give 3D capabilty. At the begining you were give a choice to load into a 3D firmware or 2D firmware, and what region code. Anybody remember hearing about this place or what brand of TV they were modding?
Old 03-06-2020, 05:07 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC123ABC View Post
A while back I heard of a shop in Chicago,IL that did country conversions and 3D firmware installations into newer sets. Allowing the use of B locked and give 3D capabilty. At the begining you were give a choice to load into a 3D firmware or 2D firmware, and what region code. Anybody remember hearing about this place or what brand of TV they were modding?
Nice idea! Places the additional cost for 3D capability to only 3D enthusiasts who want the option that no one else would have to deal with.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:05 PM   #3

Nov 2014
-
-

Every time I see one of these posts I wish someone would test one of these fury devices with an oled tv, preferably The new lg cx.
https://www.hdfury.com/product/hdfury-x4/
I believe they pretty much do the same with out modding the tv, thus not removing the warranty.
It really a shame this company has never made a promotional video demonstrating this functionality.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:29 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by grazina31 View Post
Every time I see one of these posts I wish someone would test one of these fury devices with an oled tv, preferably The new lg cx.
https://www.hdfury.com/product/hdfury-x4/
I believe they pretty much do the same with out modding the tv, thus not removing the warranty.
It really a shame this company has never made a promotional video demonstrating this functionality.
This device to me is a no no, they have a disclaimer that it is not supported on LCD TVs.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:37 PM   #5

Mar 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Nice idea! Places the additional cost for 3D capability to only 3D enthusiasts who want the option that no one else would have to deal with.
If I recall, it was an older 3D firmware that could be flashed into a chip then one could boot up the TV. It only needed to be changed when switching to 3D media. It must be done prior to, and cannot be switched while TV was on.

I think it was a passive line of TVs. It had 4k and 3D in a newer model.

?

Last edited by MC123ABC; 03-10-2020 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:36 PM   #6

Jul 2015
Default Customizing Firmware

If a project gets underway to have customized firmware for current sets, count me in. I'll contribute the software programming knowledge gained over many years, to this custom 3D software project. That includes coding!! Would love to be a part of keeping 3D sets available.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:03 PM   #7

Mar 2018

If all the material that is needed be the passive dark glasses. Look how long Red and Blue anaglyph lasted, and how basic the glasses became to fit the packaging. Stuck in dime store comic books for instance.

If it is only firmware that allows the display to happen, that is software. Why couldn't it add the 3D display level to any modern set? A Brand seems to run its particular engine of display on all sets. Similar options and menu trees.

An OLED display emitter can already change the polarization of the light emitted from each pixel to the desired orientation for each eye.

Last edited by MC123ABC; 03-12-2020 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:24 PM   #8
Power Member

Aug 2010
Default Could companies provide software update/option to add 3D to current/future TVs?

I'm not fully sure about the technology generally involved with 3D and TVs, so please be patient with my ignorance.

Is it feasible for companies to provide a software update/option to add a passive 3D feature for their current/future TVs? Or is certain hardware in addition to software needed to make this work? Or, could an independent company create an app for smart TVs that could be purchased to view 3D movies in passive 3D?

If it can be done via software only, I would happily pay a (reasonable) fee in addition to the cost of a new TV to a company for this to be able to be done.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:05 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Southern NH

you will need hardware, current panels cannot do 3D with just a software update.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:13 PM   #10
Power Member

Jan 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLMN View Post
you will need hardware, current panels cannot do 3D with just a software update.
I thought I read here differently. I would innately agree with you but I believe I was told I was wrong about that. Would be nice if you could!
Thanks given by:
BLMN (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 05:16 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
I thought I read here differently. I would innately agree with you but I believe I was told I was wrong about that. Would be nice if you could!
i think i remember a theory about that here but honestly if it was that simple it would've been done already.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:22 PM   #12

Mar 2018

I was told from a tech about 10 years ago.

"An OLED display emitter can already change the polarization of the light emitted from each pixel to the desired orientation for each eye."

If this is true then , all the hardware you will need are the passive glasses.

There is no extra screen level, or filter layer. It is all done by the OLED emitter.

Much has changed since I was told this. They stopped selling 3D TV's for one. I do not remember the brand it was. Also if it was that at one time all OLED emitters had 3D capability and in 2017 that changed? I do not have that information. That would explain the old firmware unlocking common functions in the hardware. Just speculating.

The company could? have been Multi System Electronics out of ElkGrove, IL. The location fits. At one time they had a website. Their phone number is still working. I called and they have no idea what i was talking about. Yet they sell modded 3D blu ray players to play A,B,C regions on ebay. Curious? So it is a dead end either way. Also the screen name of the tech was Dan the TV Repair Man, they never heard of him. Still my intuition tells me that has got to be the place.

Last edited by MC123ABC; 03-24-2020 at 03:00 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology