Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
The Pink Panther Cartoon Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.99

The Mask of Zorro 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
7 hrs ago
Top Gun 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Thir13en Ghosts (Blu-ray)
$24.96
18 hrs ago
Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Taza, Son of Cochise 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.89

The Barbara Stanwyck Collection (Blu-ray)
$33.49

Father of the Bride / Father of the Bride Part II (Blu-ray)
$12.96
13 hrs ago
Come and See (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Friday Night Lights: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$35.08
9 hrs ago
Bloodshot 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Frozen II 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs

Old 03-22-2020, 01:19 AM   #61
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Partly true, ^ but respectfully here's my knowledge on the items you brought up.

OLED panels do become more resistant as they break-in and the OLED modules stabilize themselves, much like how PDP's did. However, it's also true that by a very slight margin OLED displays can have the screen damaged by repeated long viewing of static images over a prolonged period of time. FYI, most PDP owners also experienced burn-in years after owning their TV. Also the number of people that had burned images on their PDP is similar to the amount of folks that experience burnin with an OLED TV.

OLED displays deliver a much deeper black level and better color saturation than the best PDP ever could and significantly better than the best LCD TV. The reason is that PDP have a slower response time so each pixel must be illuminated at all times, of course, it's just a minimal voltage driving them when they are trying to produce black, but PDP can't go to pure black like OLED can.

Regarding your comments about OLED crushing blacks, that's true, but to a very minimal amount from 2016 and earlier, but when Sony brought our the A1E and when properly set-up (even by a DIY) they did not crush the blacks at any level of stimulation. May times I demonstrated this by displaying a full field pattern with 1% luminance level and although very minimally, you can see the panel light up evenly across the entire screen. Then I'd raise the luminance to 2% and you can see the panel get slightly brighter. Also when you compare even older OLEDs blacks to any LCD no one would pick the LCD as the bester black performance.

You are correct that OLED TVs are significantly brighter than any PDP ever could produce and that combined with the deep rich pure blacks and color saturation make owning an OLED a dream TV for the most discerning video enthusiasts.

In regard to motion resolution PDP was better than OLED. However, that's now in the past, in fact, I can easily predict you will read many professional reviewers bragging about the excellent motion resolution performance of the 2020 OLED TVs as they have introduced selectable Black Frame Insertion technology and it works beautifully.

With all this said the most important item to know is that OLED TVs deliver a superior image than any LCD can ever do. So if you want the very best image for your TV it's an OLED. Of course for those who do not want to be concerned about image retention or know they watch content that exhibits static images and they want to watch that same content daily an OLED TV may not be a good choice.

Last edited by Robert Zohn; 03-22-2020 at 01:25 AM.
Thanks given by:
peterv (Yesterday), revgen (03-24-2020), Steelmaker (03-23-2020), Vilya (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 10:26 PM   #62
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post
Partly true, ^ but respectfully here's my knowledge on the items you brought up.

OLED panels do become more resistant as they break-in and the OLED modules stabilize themselves, much like how PDP's did. However, it's also true that by a very slight margin OLED displays can have the screen damaged by repeated long viewing of static images over a prolonged period of time. FYI, most PDP owners also experienced burn-in years after owning their TV. Also the number of people that had burned images on their PDP is similar to the amount of folks that experience burnin with an OLED TV.

OLED displays deliver a much deeper black level and better color saturation than the best PDP ever could and significantly better than the best LCD TV. The reason is that PDP have a slower response time so each pixel must be illuminated at all times, of course, it's just a minimal voltage driving them when they are trying to produce black, but PDP can't go to pure black like OLED can.

Regarding your comments about OLED crushing blacks, that's true, but to a very minimal amount from 2016 and earlier, but when Sony brought our the A1E and when properly set-up (even by a DIY) they did not crush the blacks at any level of stimulation. May times I demonstrated this by displaying a full field pattern with 1% luminance level and although very minimally, you can see the panel light up evenly across the entire screen. Then I'd raise the luminance to 2% and you can see the panel get slightly brighter. Also when you compare even older OLEDs blacks to any LCD no one would pick the LCD as the bester black performance.

You are correct that OLED TVs are significantly brighter than any PDP ever could produce and that combined with the deep rich pure blacks and color saturation make owning an OLED a dream TV for the most discerning video enthusiasts.

In regard to motion resolution PDP was better than OLED. However, that's now in the past, in fact, I can easily predict you will read many professional reviewers bragging about the excellent motion resolution performance of the 2020 OLED TVs as they have introduced selectable Black Frame Insertion technology and it works beautifully.

With all this said the most important item to know is that OLED TVs deliver a superior image than any LCD can ever do. So if you want the very best image for your TV it's an OLED. Of course for those who do not want to be concerned about image retention or know they watch content that exhibits static images and they want to watch that same content daily an OLED TV may not be a good choice.
As an owner of a VT60 (retired to the bedroom), you couldn't have found a more staunch supporter for plasma than me. After having used my LG C9 for a couple of weeks now, I can confidently say this TV is superior to my VT60 is every way.
Thanks given by:
Admiral (03-25-2020), evoll (03-24-2020), revgen (03-24-2020), Robert Zohn (03-24-2020), sapiendut (03-24-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 03:40 PM   #63
Special Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
As an owner of a VT60 (retired to the bedroom), you couldn't have found a more staunch supporter for plasma than me. After having used my LG C9 for a couple of weeks now, I can confidently say this TV is superior to my VT60 is every way.
I owned the VT60, that thing was a mess with it came to IR/burn-in, however out of the box, the colors were more accurate than my C8. The motion handling is better on PDP's, that's not even debatable. Shadow detail was much better on my VT60 than my C8. The blacks are indeed deeper on OLED and the TV is brighter than PDP and the colors pop more.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (03-24-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 04:13 PM   #64
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Agreed that motion resolution is better on PDP, but it's better than any LCD too so with the available TVs today we do not have any display type that can performs as well in regard to motion resolution. Also know that today's OLED TVs from LG and Sony deliver better motion resolution and resolution controls choices than any LCD TV. So again OLED wins in that attribute.

Regarding black crush, it's easier to show shadow detail when you elevate the blacks, like PDP and LCDs do, but when set properly the 2019 and 2020 OLED TVs do not crush ANY shadow detail so again OLED wins in that performance element.

Since Sony came to the OLED market with their 1st generation A1E OLED TV color fidelity and color saturation out of the box is excellent. For 2020 LG caught up to the OOB color accuracy.

With every OLED TV we sell we advise our clients on proper use and care to avoid the possibly of IR, especially for clients that owned PDP and experienced burn-in.
Thanks given by:
Steelmaker (03-24-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs