Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
The Pink Panther Cartoon Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.99

The Mask of Zorro 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
5 hrs ago
Top Gun 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Thir13en Ghosts (Blu-ray)
$24.96
17 hrs ago
Taza, Son of Cochise 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.89

Come and See (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Father of the Bride / Father of the Bride Part II (Blu-ray)
$12.96
12 hrs ago
The Barbara Stanwyck Collection (Blu-ray)
$33.49

Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Bloodshot 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Bloodshot (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Glengarry Glen Ross (Blu-ray)
$17.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-20-2020, 02:06 PM   #1
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City
USA The Mad Fox (1962) (Arrow Academy) - June 23, 2020

Arrow will be releasing Tomu Uchida's The Mad Fox (Koi ya koi nasuna koi ) (1962) on June 23rd.

Quote:
In stark contrast to the monochrome naturalism of his earlier masterwork Bloody Spear at Mount Fuji, visionary master director Tomu Uchida took inspiration from Bunraku and kabuki theater for arguably his strangest and most lavishly cinematic film, The Mad Fox. Amidst a mythically-depicted medieval Japan, a court astrologer foretells a great disturbance that threatens to split the realm in two. His bitter and treacherous wife conspires to have the astrologer killed, as well as their adopted daughter, Sakaki. The astrologer's master apprentice, Yasuna, who was in love with Sakaki, is driven mad with grief and escapes to the countryside. There, he encounters Sakaki's long-lost twin, Kuzunoha, and the pair meet a pack of ancient fox spirits in the woods, whose presence may be the key to restoring Yasuna's sanity, and in turn bringing peace to the fracturing nation. Finally available outside Japan for the first time, Uchida's stunning, wildly stylized widescreen tableaux - using expressionist sets and color schemes - are highlighted in a world premiere Blu-ray release.
Quote:
Bonus Materials
  • Brand new restoration by Toei
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
  • Original uncompressed mono Japanese audio
  • Optional newly translated English subtitles
  • Brand new audio commentary by Japanese cinema expert Jasper Sharp, recorded exclusively for this release
  • Original theatrical trailer
  • Image gallery
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matt Griffin
  • FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Ronald Cavaye and Hayley Scanlon

Last edited by MifuneFan; 03-24-2020 at 03:00 PM.
Thanks given by:
Blu_Beard (03-21-2020), dr727 (03-21-2020), Lardmeister (03-20-2020), movieben1138 (03-20-2020), oildude (03-20-2020), StarDestroyer52 (03-24-2020)
Old 03-20-2020, 02:08 PM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...

I misread the thread title as Mad Max, lol.

Since I have some time to myself coming up, it might be a good time to pop in Bloody Spear at Mount Fuji, then see if I'd want this one too.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:22 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2012
California

Excellent news. We have known that Arrow had at least one other Tomu Uchida film for awhile, so glad it's finally coming. I'm guessing they were waiting for Toei to restore this one.

Did this leak early? Arrow Academy hasn't made their official announcement yet.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:58 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

So incredibly excited!
Old 03-24-2020, 12:11 AM   #5

Jul 2012

IMBD has the title listed as 'Love, Thy Name Be Sorrow', for those interested in reviews, etc.
Thanks given by:
MifuneFan (03-24-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 12:28 AM   #6
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2011

I hope this one is better than Bloody Spear at Mount Fuji, which someone at another forum recommended enthusiastically (saying it was better than anything Kurosawa and Kobayashi had ever done) but I found quite disappointing.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:26 AM   #7
Special Member

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cremildo View Post
I hope this one is better than Bloody Spear at Mount Fuji, which someone at another forum recommended enthusiastically (saying it was better than anything Kurosawa and Kobayashi had ever done) but I found quite disappointing.
Well, I guess it depends on why you found Bloody Spear so disappointing. Mad Fox is certainly a much different sort of film than Bloody Spear, but much as I love stylish Japanese supernatural folktales (which Mad Fox certainly is), I found Mad Fox by far the weaker of the two. You may feel just the opposite.

Last edited by Telstar; 03-24-2020 at 02:26 AM.
Thanks given by:
Lardmeister (03-24-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 01:49 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cremildo View Post
If you're going with expectations of that level, disappointment is a given. If someone told you that they were certainly being hyperbolic. It's a very good film (elements of Kobayashi's Harakiri in the climax), but certainly does not top the best of those masters.
Thanks given by:
Areopagita (03-25-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 02:55 PM   #9
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
Well, I guess it depends on why you found Bloody Spear so disappointing. Mad Fox is certainly a much different sort of film than Bloody Spear, but much as I love stylish Japanese supernatural folktales (which Mad Fox certainly is), I found Mad Fox by far the weaker of the two. You may feel just the opposite.
Yes, I suppose that'll be the case. Given what the user had said about the Bloody Spear, I wasn't expecting a mostly lighthearted road movie, which is hardly the kind of stuff I usually go for. If Mad Fox is more like Kuroneko, I'm sure it'll hit my sweet spot. In any case, after checking Uchida's filmography on IMDb, he seems to have made some interesting films and the fact that Arrow is releasing another one is a welcome development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
If you're going with expectations of that level, disappointment is a given. If someone told you that they were certainly being hyperbolic. It's a very good film (elements of Kobayashi's Harakiri in the climax), but certainly does not top the best of those masters.
True. It was nave of me to even entertain that notion.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:58 PM   #10
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Someone posted this Japanese trailer (with English subs) of it in another thread. Not sure how it compares visually or thematically to Bloody Spear, but it looks good to me

Old 03-24-2020, 04:27 PM   #11
Special Member

Feb 2009

I found Mad Fox to be pleasant enough viewing but (outside of the sporadic hyper-stylized sequences) ultimately pretty muddled and forgettable -- literally forgettable, as much of the film has faded from my memory in the few years since I've seen it, unlike Bloody Spear which features richly fleshed-out characters, themes and details that continue to stick with me.

And by the way, don't go into this expecting anything resembling the consistently elegant supernatural atmosphere of Kuroneko. Mad Fox is all over the map, and much of it feels almost campy (although it's uncertain if that's intentional or not).

Last edited by Telstar; 03-24-2020 at 04:40 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America