Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
The Pink Panther Cartoon Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.99

The Mask of Zorro 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
7 hrs ago
Top Gun 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Thir13en Ghosts (Blu-ray)
$24.96
18 hrs ago
Taza, Son of Cochise 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.89

Come and See (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Father of the Bride / Father of the Bride Part II (Blu-ray)
$12.96
13 hrs ago
The Barbara Stanwyck Collection (Blu-ray)
$33.49

Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Bloodshot (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Bloodshot 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Friday Night Lights: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$35.08
9 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-18-2020, 08:15 PM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2011
Criterion An Unmarried Woman (1978) - June 9, 2020

https://www.criterion.com/films/2959...nmarried-woman

Quote:
SPECIAL FEATURES
New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
Audio commentary from 2005 featuring director Paul Mazursky and actor Jill Clayburgh
New interviews with actors Michael Murphy and Lisa Lucas
New interview with author Sam Wasson on Mazursky’s work
Audio recording of Mazursky speaking at the American Film Institute in 1980
Trailer
PLUS: An essay by critic Angelica Jade Bastién
Cover design by F. Ron Miller
Thanks given by:
Page14 (03-18-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 08:49 PM   #2

Mar 2011
orlando,fl

OMG!!!! I can't believe it! One of my most sought after films finally coming to Blu-ray! And on Criterion at that! About time.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:09 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2016
California

I really like the cover. Haven’t seen this but always heard good things and been wanting to watch it!
Old 03-18-2020, 09:21 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2012
California

Is this a Fox film?
Old 03-18-2020, 10:10 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeTogo84 View Post
Is this a Fox film?
Yes it is.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:27 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2012
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwk View Post
Yes it is.
Interesting. Anyone know when Criterion last released a Fox film? Also wondering if they made a deal with Disney or with Fox before the merger and if so, I wonder if they have any other Fox titles?
Old 03-18-2020, 10:29 PM   #7
Special Member

May 2013

I like Jill Clayburgh. She´s also very good in "Starting Over"(she also got an Oscar nomination for that film) with Burt Reynolds.

I also know her from the 1980 film "It´s Your Turn" with Michael Douglas but it´s not a good film.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:33 PM   #8
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Interesting. Anyone know when Criterion last released a Fox film? Also wondering if they made a deal with Disney or with Fox before the merger and if so, I wonder if they have any other Fox titles?
well I hope for one hope a deluxe edition of 'A Hidden Life' is somewhere on the distant horizon with supplement material galore.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:41 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2012
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
well I hope for one hope a deluxe edition of 'A Hidden Life' is somewhere on the distant horizon with supplement material galore.
Normally, I would have said, that's probably not going to happen, but with this title reveal, I would say it's highly possible now.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:47 PM   #10
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Normally, I would have said, that's probably not going to happen, but with this title reveal, I would say it's highly possible now.
to answer your original question, unless I'm wrong I think the last Fox (Searchlight) Criterion edition release was Malick's "Tree of Life" (?) oops, no 'Forty Guns' was a Fox movie.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:28 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2015

Quote:
Criterion have been increasing the pace of Fox titles than ever before, with Leave Her to Heaven, All About Eve, Cluny Brown, The Story of Temple Drake, The Grand Budapest Hotel just in the past year. Usually they’re sparser with the Fox licenses. I expect they’ll be more to come.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:35 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2010
The middle of nowhere, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagal View Post
I like Jill Clayburgh. She´s also very good in "Starting Over"(she also got an Oscar nomination for that film) with Burt Reynolds.

I also know her from the 1980 film "It´s Your Turn" with Michael Douglas but it´s not a good film.
I'd highly recommended seeing Jill Clayburgh in Silver Streak too ... especially if you enjoy the Gene Wilder/Richard Pryor films. Seeing her in that film is what led me to watch An Unmarried Woman back in the 70s. I haven't seen An Unmarried Woman in decades, so will buy this just so I can revisit it again.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:18 AM   #13
Special Member

Sep 2012
London

Another Fox title starring Clayburgh: Bernardo Bertolucci's La luna, a lurid and preposterous incest oater, with the poor actress trying hard - but failing miserably - to portray a famous opera singer having an illicit relationship with her son. Glossy rubbish, really: but it occupies a place in the director's output between Novocento and The Last Emperor and looks absolutely gorgeous, so would respond well to HD treatment chez Criterion.

Last edited by sjt; 03-19-2020 at 05:26 AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:44 AM   #14

Jan 2012
South Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjt View Post
Another Fox title starring Clayburgh: Bernardo Bertolucci's La luna, a lurid and preposterous incest oater, with the poor actress trying hard - but failing miserably - to portray a famous opera singer having an illicit relationship with her son. Glossy rubbish, really: but it occupies a place in the director's output between Novocento and The Last Emperor and looks absolutely gorgeous, so would respond well to HD treatment chez Criterion.

Kino Lorber released it over 3 years ago.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:33 AM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010

Quote:
Given how long it takes them to get stuff out, it is safe to assume that these Fox titles were licensed pre-Disney.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:42 AM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Great news! I've seen An Unmarried Woman several times over the years on the old DVD. Excellent film, and a real time capsule of late '70's NYC. The city may as well have been another character in the film.

This film seems to be a fairly accurate depiction of the changing sexual mores & attitudes in the '70's (that started in the late '60's)....I.e., more couples were divorcing by that time & as such divorced people (especially women) didn't have the stigma that they did in previous decades.

The late Jill Clayburgh was truly gorgeous in the '70's - she also looked fantastic in the film Silver Streak (w/Gene Wilder & Richard Pryor, 1976).

[Show spoiler]-There was a key sequence when JC was unfortunately stuck in a taxi with a middle-aged guy her friends set her up with. She had 0 interest in him, and at one point he practically attacked her - she had to fight him off, and then kicked him out of the taxi. It's notable that this guy had an ugly comb-over, and looked like he had never been to a dentist in his life His teeth were probably as bad - or worse - than the "We don't need no stinkin' badges!" actor in The Treasure of Sierra Madre - LOL. This type of "reality" is not something you typically see in contemporary films, and is one of the many reasons the '70's is my favorite decade for cinema - i.e., in many cases re: films from this era, you actually feel like you're watching a documentary more than a film.

-Really liked the ending scene; this featured JC carrying a painting that she had been given by her bf - and having difficulty doing this. I just thought it was a really cool scene that encapsulated NYC to a great extent. I.e., the crowds not batting an eye at the sight of a woman walking down the street carrying a huge painting - LOL.

[Show spoiler]One of my favorite scenes was somewhat after JC & her husband (the incomparable Michael Murphy, a veteran of '70's Woody Allen films) split up: There was a sequence where the affair with his younger gf was falling apart, and so he was trying to get back together with JC. But, JC stood her ground & refused to take him back - even though the split/divorce had definitely unsettled her to a great extent. I admired this strength/resolve of her character - and, again, this was obviously reflecting the changing social attitudes that the country was seeing in the '70's.
Old Yesterday, 02:07 AM   #17

Mar 2011
orlando,fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
Great news! I've seen An Unmarried Woman several times over the years on the old DVD. Excellent film, and a real time capsule of late '70's NYC. The city may as well have been another character in the film.

This film seems to be a fairly accurate depiction of the changing sexual mores & attitudes in the '70's (that started in the late '60's)....I.e., more couples were divorcing by that time & as such divorced people (especially women) didn't have the stigma that they did in previous decades.

The late Jill Clayburgh was truly gorgeous in the '70's - she also looked fantastic in the film Silver Streak (w/Gene Wilder & Richard Pryor, 1976).

[Show spoiler]-There was a key sequence when JC was unfortunately stuck in a taxi with a middle-aged guy her friends set her up with. She had 0 interest in him, and at one point he practically attacked her - she had to fight him off, and then kicked him out of the taxi. It's notable that this guy had an ugly comb-over, and looked like he had never been to a dentist in his life His teeth were probably as bad - or worse - than the "We don't need no stinkin' badges!" actor in The Treasure of Sierra Madre - LOL. This type of "reality" is not something you typically see in contemporary films, and is one of the many reasons the '70's is my favorite decade for cinema - i.e., in many cases re: films from this era, you actually feel like you're watching a documentary more than a film.

-Really liked the ending scene; this featured JC carrying a painting that she had been given by her bf - and having difficulty doing this. I just thought it was a really cool scene that encapsulated NYC to a great extent. I.e., the crowds not batting an eye at the sight of a woman walking down the street carrying a huge painting - LOL.

[Show spoiler]One of my favorite scenes was somewhat after JC & her husband (the incomparable Michael Murphy, a veteran of '70's Woody Allen films) split up: There was a sequence where the affair with his younger gf was falling apart, and so he was trying to get back together with JC. But, JC stood her ground & refused to take him back - even though the split/divorce had definitely unsettled her to a great extent. I admired this strength/resolve of her character - and, again, this was obviously reflecting the changing social attitudes that the country was seeing in the '70's.
That man in the cab was the director, Paul Mazursky.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America