Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
The Pink Panther Cartoon Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.99

The Mask of Zorro 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
6 hrs ago
Top Gun 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Thir13en Ghosts (Blu-ray)
$24.96
18 hrs ago
Taza, Son of Cochise 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.89

Come and See (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Father of the Bride / Father of the Bride Part II (Blu-ray)
$12.96
13 hrs ago
The Barbara Stanwyck Collection (Blu-ray)
$33.49

Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Bloodshot (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Bloodshot 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Friday Night Lights: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$35.08
8 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 03-26-2020, 03:59 PM   #21
Special Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot View Post
Currently, I have a standard 5.1 setup. I haven't had the opportunity yet to hear a setup with Atmos and I'm wondering if it has really taken off or is more a 3DTV gimmic, destined to fall away. Is Atmos used as extensively and as effectly as regular surround. Is it subtle or aggressive in general.....worth the price of addition? I'd have to buy a Marantz SR-8012 to replace my old SR-7009, so I can still be able to use two of the amps to biamp the fronts for when listening to music. I have Paradigm Monitor 11v7's in the front and Monitor 9v7's in the rear. If I was going to add 4 height channels, say from SVS or Klipsch, would there be an issue with timbre matching? I kinda doubt it, I'm thinking it's more like being able to buy any manufactures sub and it works well with what one has, but never-the-less wanted some feedback on my all questions.....

Thanks!
It all depends.

If you are willing to invest in the additional equipment you will need to justify setting up a Dolby Atmos system.

You will need an UHD blu ray player. Keep in mind that optical disc is on the way out we are uncertain as to how long UHD disc will last in the market. UHD blu ray players are very limited to a few manufacturers, Sony, Panasonic and Pioneer. Although you could probably find a used $500 Oppo 203 price at $2,500 on Ebay.

Netflix has the most content streamed in Atmos, however you need to purchase their premium UHD subscription. And then you need to a device that will stream Netflix in Atmos. Apple TV, Xbox One X/S, Fire TV Cube 2 are the devices that I'm aware that you can stream Atmos. Firestick 4K wont do it unless you add download Kodi.

Amazon Prime has only one program that streams in Dolby Vision and Atmos, that would Jack Ryan. The Fire Stick 4K will stream Atmos from Amazon Prime, however for some reason they refuse to to add Atmos to any more content.

Can you see how this is adding up?
Old 03-26-2020, 05:19 PM   #22
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post
It all depends.

If you are willing to invest in the additional equipment you will need to justify setting up a Dolby Atmos system.

You will need an UHD blu ray player. Keep in mind that optical disc is on the way out we are uncertain as to how long UHD disc will last in the market. UHD blu ray players are very limited to a few manufacturers, Sony, Panasonic and Pioneer. Although you could probably find a used $500 Oppo 203 price at $2,500 on Ebay.

Netflix has the most content streamed in Atmos, however you need to purchase their premium UHD subscription. And then you need to a device that will stream Netflix in Atmos. Apple TV, Xbox One X/S, Fire TV Cube 2 are the devices that I'm aware that you can stream Atmos. Firestick 4K wont do it unless you add download Kodi.

Amazon Prime has only one program that streams in Dolby Vision and Atmos, that would Jack Ryan. The Fire Stick 4K will stream Atmos from Amazon Prime, however for some reason they refuse to to add Atmos to any more content.

Can you see how this is adding up?
He might as well update his receiver, so he can pass 4k and use Atmos/DTS-X. My receiver from 3 years ago does this. As far as physical discs being on their way out, I think UHD will most likely grow since the new PS5 and XBOX will have 4k disc drives, and more people will most likely try them out. My entry price was only the additional speaker, and it was well worth it.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:55 PM   #23
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk504 View Post
He might as well update his receiver, so he can pass 4k and use Atmos/DTS-X. My receiver from 3 years ago does this. As far as physical discs being on their way out, I think UHD will most likely grow since the new PS5 and XBOX will have 4k disc drives, and more people will most likely try them out. My entry price was only the additional speaker, and it was well worth it.
Depending on the age of the OP current receiver, it may not be upgradable to Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. The receiver could be too old.
Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM   #24

Aug 2018
Finland

Atmos is awesome, it's not a gimmick. I have 5.1.4 setup and it's really nice when say a helicopter flies over your head in a movie and it sounds like that in your viewing area. But to me the biggest difference between atmos track and normal 7/5.1 is that you can pinpoint different sounds more clearly in the soundstage. The overheads are nice bonus to that but the overheads aren't usually that noticeable in movies. Some cool effects time to time and some ambient noices but they aren't usually active all the time.

But is it worth it? It depends how much you have money and what you have to upgrade to achieve atmos. If you have loads money, go for it. If your tight on money, I just might stay with the 5.1.
To me the atmos setup cost me about 2000 more than a 5.1, but I had the extra cash, so I felt it was worth it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion