Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Parks and Recreation: The Complete Series (DVD)
$29.99

Gunsmoke: The Complete Series (DVD)
$244.99
10 hrs ago
The Big Bang Theory: The Twelfth and Final Season (DVD)
$14.99

WWE: WrestleMania 36 (DVD)
$9.99

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (DVD)
$14.65

The Hunt (DVD)
$17.96

Descendants / Descendants 2 (DVD)
$5.99

Robert the Bruce (DVD)
$9.96

The Last Full Measure (DVD)
$9.96

Emma. (DVD)
$13.79

I Still Believe (DVD)
$14.96

Doris Day: The Essential Collection (DVD)
$24.96
3 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 10-20-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
Special Member

Dec 2010
Oklahoma
Default Who else is into concert DVD's ?

One of the things that has me excited about the new DVD section is having a convenient way to keep track of my concert DVD's. I've added 55 Concerts to the database to help in this regard. Concerts are mainly what I still watch on DVD and the only thing I still ocassionally buy on DVD. Of course I buy them on Blu-Ray if they are available but due to cost I rarely upgrade from DVD. I wanted to start a thread to discuss concert DVD's so hear it is.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:16 AM   #2
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
-

I have plenty plenty of concerts on DVD. To be honest though, I no longer play any of them. One of the greatest advantages Blu-ray has (as far as I am concerned) is that live shows/concerts simply sound incredible. For me personally, the upgrade in quality here is even more dramatic than film's transition from DVD to Blu-ray.

Plus, Eagle Rock Entertainment have been absolutely incredible. With the exception of their Ted Nugent: Motor City Mayhem, which I could not bring myself to like, every other release has been simply amazing.

And Universal Music should release Depeche Mode: One Night in Paris already.

Pro-B
Old 10-21-2011, 08:51 AM   #3

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

I couldn't have said it better myself. I rarely play my concert DVD's any longer (with the exception of The Eagles Farewell I Tour and a few others not available on BD), and that's simply because the AQ/PQ on Blu-ray is vastly superior to their DVD counterparts.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
Canada

I still have a few Blu ray concerts but I like my DVD concerts (ordered 7 more this past week), sure the Audio PQ is better on the BD but I found that the AQ on the concert BDs I use to have were 1080i not much better looking than my upconverted DVDs...
Old 10-21-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMN8R View Post
One of the things that has me excited about the new DVD section is having a convenient way to keep track of my concert DVD's. I've added 55 Concerts to the database to help in this regard. Concerts are mainly what I still watch on DVD and the only thing I still ocassionally buy on DVD. Of course I buy them on Blu-Ray if they are available but due to cost I rarely upgrade from DVD. I wanted to start a thread to discuss concert DVD's so hear it is.
I've added 35 of mine so far I think I still have another 20-30 in my changer to upload here...
Old 10-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
Special Member

Dec 2010
Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
I have plenty plenty of concerts on DVD. To be honest though, I no longer play any of them. One of the greatest advantages Blu-ray has (as far as I am concerned) is that live shows/concerts simply sound incredible. For me personally, the upgrade in quality here is even more dramatic than film's transition from DVD to Blu-ray.

Plus, Eagle Rock Entertainment have been absolutely incredible. With the exception of their Ted Nugent: Motor City Mayhem, which I could not bring myself to like, every other release has been simply amazing.

And Universal Music should release Depeche Mode: One Night in Paris already.

Pro-B
I agree the AQ is normally superior on BR but I have so many that will never be on Blu. I can't however imagine not watching one of my Stevie Ray Vaughn, (older) Rush or Pink Floyd: Pulse, Etc... any more.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #7
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by John72953 View Post
I couldn't have said it better myself. I rarely play my concert DVD's any longer (with the exception of The Eagles Farewell I Tour and a few others not available on BD), and that's simply because the AQ/PQ on Blu-ray is vastly superior to their DVD counterparts.
I tried playing an old Tangerine Dream disc I have a couple of weeks ago, and it was just horrible. The sounds was so incredibly flat, I could not believe how I had enjoyed it in the past.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #8

Jul 2007

Quote:
I tried playing an old Tangerine Dream disc I have a couple of weeks ago, and it was just horrible. The sounds was so incredibly flat, I could not believe how I had enjoyed it in the past.
The other night I was in the mood for some Annie Lennox, so I took out her Live In Central Park DVD.....I couldn't listen to it or watch it. A real bummer as I love Annie Lennox.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #9
Special Member

Dec 2010
Oklahoma

Just ordered from Amazon, Experience Hendrix (tribute) mainly for the Kenny Wayne Shepherd performances. Reviews were mostly good, hope the DVD is.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #10

Jul 2007

The DVD of The Dixie Chicks "An Evening With The Dixie Chicks: Live From The Kodak Theatre" is actually quite good.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:02 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011

Genesis - When in Rome
Phil Collins - Finally....The First Farewell Tour
Eagles - Farewell Tour
Leonard Cohen - Live in London
Depeche Mode - Devotional
Depeche Mode - Touring The Angel Live in Milan
Depeche Mode - One Night in Paris
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Live at Slane Castle

Does anyone know when/if these will be released on Blu-ray anytime soon? I remember Genesis was supposed to be but was cancelled. What's the status of it today?

I love music but only a few of those I like are on Blu-ray.

Last edited by KrugerIndustrial; 10-25-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:54 AM   #12
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
-

I don't have any info, Matti, but have to say that One Night in Paris should have been amongst the very first music releases to transition to Blu-ray. I've commented so many times on it.

I also keep hoping that Warner would release Everything But the Girl: Like the Deserts Miss the Rain. I would love to replace my DVD.

EBT are my favorite band.

http://www.amazon.com/Everything-But...9604274&sr=1-1

Old 10-26-2011, 06:10 AM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
R-Point

I have a few concert VHS and DVDs. I have some Depeche Mode concert which is from the late 80's, I want to say. And I have the uncut Live Aus Berlin from Rammstein on VHS since the DVD is missing one of the songs. And I have Rammstein's two other DVD releases; Lichtspielhaus and Volkerball.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Deep in the jungle.

I'm really glad that I've not succumbed to the "it's not crystal clear A/V so I can't enjoy it anymore" disease.

I have footage of bands/musical events/concerts on DVD/DVD-R/blu-ray that true fans would give their eye-teeth for, and I still enjoy it immensely, and expect to for the rest of my life.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #15
Special Member

Jul 2008

This is a Custom DVD cover I had made:

This live DVD from WEDNESDAY 13 was only sold in a Jewel case and I wanted to be able to display it with my other DVD's

I hope someday it gets a Blu-Ray release but until than the DVD will have to do
Old 10-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #16

Jul 2007

Quote:
EBT are my favorite band.
Nice to get a glimpe into what your musical preferences are!
Old 10-26-2011, 09:09 PM   #17
Special Member

Dec 2010
Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmy Lugosi View Post
I'm really glad that I've not succumbed to the "it's not crystal clear A/V so I can't enjoy it anymore" disease.
Me too, I have too many great performances not to watch them any more. Sure I prefer great AQ/PQ but prefer great performances even more.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #18
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by John72953 View Post
Nice to get a glimpe into what your musical preferences are!
Hey John

Only as far as non-rock music is concerned (I love EBTG because Tracey's voice is the best I have heard in my lifetime, and I have seen live quite a few great singers, from Sade to Mick Hucknall). Otherwise, I would go as far back as Deep Purple and Creedence Clearwater Revival (the Fortunate Son ). As sacrilegious as it may sound, I always thought that Creedence were a lot better than the Stones.

This cover is superb:

And this is pure bliss:

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 10-26-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:56 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011

Quote:
Hey John

Only as far as non-rock music is concerned (I love EBTG because Tracey's voice is the best I have heard in my lifetime, and I have seen live quite a few great singers, from Sade to Mick Hucknall). Otherwise, I would go as far back as Deep Purple and Creedence Clearwater Revival (the Fortunate Son ). As sacrilegious as it may sound, I always thought that Creedence were a lot better than the Stones.

This cover is superb:

Creedence Clearwater Revival: Fortunate Son - YouTube

And this is pure bliss:
I heard it through the grapevine - Creedence - YouTube

Pro-B
I heartily agree with you, Svet. Great, great band.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:13 AM   #20
Special Member

Dec 2010
Oklahoma

Picked up Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: Runnin' Down A Dream for $8 new and enjoyed it quite a bit. Also picked up Neil Peart: Anatomy of a Drum Solo for $15 used (still sells for close to $50 new) and recommend it to any Peart fan. A lot of insight into where the ideas come from and of course a lot of ridiculous drumming. He's my single favorite musician (and lyricist) so of course my opinion is slanted but you don't have to be a drummer (I'm not) to appreciate it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies