Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.42
9 hrs ago
Westworld: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Westworld: Season Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Man of Steel 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
3 hrs ago
Steven Seagal 4-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Reign of the Supermen 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
13 hrs ago
Princess Principal: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

First Man (Blu-ray)
$17.00
10 hrs ago
San Andreas 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
14 hrs ago
If Beale Street Could Talk (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Casablanca (Blu-ray)
$5.99
10 hrs ago
The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot (Blu-ray)
$15.41

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 07-25-2018, 10:41 PM   #1

May 2009
Question Blu-rays keep slowing/stuttering/stopping

Hi,

Since a while now, my not at all old (maybe a couple of years at most) Samsung Blu-ray player doesn't seem to be able to play a blu-ray disc without intermittent image slowdowns/stutters leading to an eventual freeze. At first I thought this was a disc problem, but it seems this happens with just about every Blu-ray I try to watch.

Using a lens-cleaning disc seems to temporarily alleviate the problem, but only temporarily. I sometimes can't watch a 45 minute episode of a TV show without having to take out the disc twice because it froze and putting the lens-cleaning disc in for 10 minutes. Again, twice.

Strangely, this does NOT seem to affect DVD playback whatsoever, just Blu-rays. So would anyone know what the problem could be and if there are any solutions? Is my player just really massively dirty inside and I need a better lens-cleaning disc (like one with those fluids you put on, mine just has the brush)? Does it need to go for repair? Or is it just good for the trash heap?

Thanks in advance for any and all answers.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:57 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Evil_Dude View Post
Hi,

Since a while now, my not at all old (maybe a couple of years at most) Samsung Blu-ray player doesn't seem to be able to play a blu-ray disc without intermittent image slowdowns/stutters leading to an eventual freeze. At first I thought this was a disc problem, but it seems this happens with just about every Blu-ray I try to watch.

Using a lens-cleaning disc seems to temporarily alleviate the problem, but only temporarily. I sometimes can't watch a 45 minute episode of a TV show without having to take out the disc twice because it froze and putting the lens-cleaning disc in for 10 minutes. Again, twice.

Strangely, this does NOT seem to affect DVD playback whatsoever, just Blu-rays. So would anyone know what the problem could be and if there are any solutions? Is my player just really massively dirty inside and I need a better lens-cleaning disc (like one with those fluids you put on, mine just has the brush)? Does it need to go for repair? Or is it just good for the trash heap?

Thanks in advance for any and all answers.
Might just be the player. I have a player from late 2015 made by Sony that still gets heavy use and I havenít had any problems with it. Still plays all my old discs and current manufactured discs that I keep purchasing. Maybe you have a bad or failing lens/laser.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:03 PM   #3
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Beautiful Pacific Northwest

time for a new player... they really don't cost much these days.

There are two lasers on a blu ray player-- one to read blu rays, a different one to play dvds....

that's why your dvd movies play fine (I had a similar problem with the very first blu ray player I bought...)
Old 07-26-2018, 12:27 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2015
Myrtle Beach, SC

It's just wore out. Not worth trying to fix it.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:11 PM   #5

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
-
-

Your Samsung Blu-ray player lasted two years?
I think that's average. These things are not built to last too long.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:27 PM   #6
Special Member

Jul 2017
Elles Belles, Costa Plonka

I bought my Sony 550 back in 2010, faithfully playing anything I threw at it. I noticed last years that the image wasn't looking as great as it should, with most movies looking darker than they should. Alien Covenant looked dreadful, prompting me to plug it into another TV.

The result was night n' day, as the image on the Sony 550 was ridiculously dark, no matter now much adjusting was done to both TV & player. Given that I had just bought an Atmos amp (and that the 550 was not able to stream such a signal) I picked up the Sony 7800 and have had no problems.

My old player gave up the ghost without ever skipping or freezing, etc. But then again, it was probably made before companies starting cutting back on the quality to knock 'em out cheaper.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:41 PM   #7

Jul 2009

If not already tried I would check firmware update
Old 07-29-2018, 09:48 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Samsung's first generation 4K UHD Blu-ray Players were not very good to begin with. I bought the 8500, and all of a sudden it quit encoding Dolby True HD soundtracks. I had to manually reset the audio output to PCM to play Dolby True HD soundtracks in PCM uncompressed audio. I didn't bother to get it fixed because I didn't want to go through all of the hassle of sending the player to Samsung for them to repair it, so I just went on and purchased an Oppo 203, and I've never been happier, and it was worth every penny...I've Never regret it! Right now, the Samsung is stored away in my closet to use for a rainy day.

Last edited by slimdude; 08-15-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:43 PM   #9

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
-
-
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
Samsung's first generation 4K UHD Blu-ray Players were not very good to begin with. I bought the 8500, and all of a sudden it quit encoding Dolby True HD soundtracks. I had to manually reset the audio output to PCM to play Dolby True HD soundtracks in PCM uncompressed audio. I didn't bother to get it fixed because I didn't want to through all of the hassle of sending the player to Samsung for them to repair it, so I just went on and purchased an Oppo 203, and I've never been happier, and it was worth every penny...I've Never regret it! Right now, the Samsung is stored away in my closet to use for a rainy day.
I did similar, hated the curve of the 8500, I guess it was supposed to match their TV's? Anyway, gave it to the daughter who watches barbi DVD's and Scooby Doo shows. She has no blu rays, although now she wants Isle of Dogs.
I'll see if it hits the $5 bin at Mal-wart soon!
Old 08-14-2018, 02:38 PM   #10

May 2009

Thanks for the replies. I bought a lens cleaning disc with cleaning fluid and it seemed to staunch the problem for a couple of days but now doesn't do a thing anymore. I've now done the firmware update which I had no idea was a thing and will now have to see if it has resolved the issue in any way.

If not I guess I will indeed have to go for a new player. If that's the case though, I find it ridiculous that we can't expect blu-ray players to last more than a couple of years. My Panasonic CD player must be 20 years old at this point and still works like a charm and my LG Blu-ray/HD-DVD combo PC drive is over 10 years old and also works perfectly. Darn.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:15 PM   #11
Special Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteCount View Post
I bought my Sony 550 back in 2010, faithfully playing anything I threw at it. I noticed last years that the image wasn't looking as great as it should, with most movies looking darker than they should. Alien Covenant looked dreadful, prompting me to plug it into another TV.

The result was night n' day, as the image on the Sony 550 was ridiculously dark, no matter now much adjusting was done to both TV & player. Given that I had just bought an Atmos amp (and that the 550 was not able to stream such a signal) I picked up the Sony 7800 and have had no problems.

My old player gave up the ghost without ever skipping or freezing, etc. But then again, it was probably made before companies starting cutting back on the quality to knock 'em out cheaper.
i have the same model and love it, may buy a second one for a spare.
Thanks given by:
CompleteCount (10-12-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 10:54 PM   #12

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
-
-

Quality of media players vary model to model, as well as within manufacturers. The 'bottom" or budget line of players (under $100) are not built to the same lasting & quality standards as say an Oppo 203/205 which was considered the "Cadillac" level of media players. Nor do identical models carry the same standards throughout their life. This is why manufacturers come out with new models every year with minuscule improvements. Shop around, do you diligence, and NEVER purchase a product without seeing if it has a history of good ratings by those who actually bought them.
Another hint, a LOT of these so-called "reviewers" on YT are funded from the manufacturers of the products they review...if a product has a slew of awards....they likely bought them. I want to hear from REAL people, those who bought a product and have used it for some time. A LOT of the products I buy, were bought by some of my customers first, and I was asked to set it up or calibrate it for them.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:25 AM   #13

Jun 2016
Wisconsin

I am happy just using my Xbox One S. I play FIFA 18 and Forza on it from time to time, but I love it as a media hub. I can watch all my 4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD and digital files on it, I can stream VUDU or Hulu, and with the Live TV add-on in Hulu, it serves as a TV also. For the price, find me a Blu-ray player or set top box that does it better.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:09 PM   #14

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
-
-
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonesfan129 View Post
I am happy just using my Xbox One S. I play FIFA 18 and Forza on it from time to time, but I love it as a media hub. I can watch all my 4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD and digital files on it, I can stream VUDU or Hulu, and with the Live TV add-on in Hulu, it serves as a TV also. For the price, find me a Blu-ray player or set top box that does it better.
Well, I would say consider this:
I am "old skool", my education to hi-fi was in the 70's. I used to set up quad systems for Listening Booth (remember them?) before I learned TV & the older satellite technology and went on my own in the '80's. In that time I was trained to assemble "components" instead of relying on all-in-ones or "consoles" as they were called at the time. Individual components have an advantage where if a component needs to be repaired, fixed or replaced, you don't lose the value of that system...only what the component does. So what I do may not be "the thing" but it is intertwined in my DNA...and I still do that today.
So I would argue that your XB, being the "console" as it were, takes more wear and tear than any of my components...and as a result is more likely to need R-F-R before mine. My PS4 P plays games, that's all it does, except for the occasional 3D movie BD while I use the VR headset. Until they included FW to view 3D movies, the drive was used for a single disc, the Forgotten Films ver of NOTLD, because it wouldn't play on any other disc player in the house and I wanted to see if it was a faulty disc...didn't play on that either. All the games I have are digital versions, I'm not a heavy game player, tho i do have a few favorites I play daily when I can. MLB TS18 & GT:Sport are my current faves, I'm waiting till i hear user reviews on Madden 19 before I purchase that.
I have an Oppo 203 for all discs, I have several DVD/A discs from 20-odd yrs ago. A few CD's, and a whole slewful of BD's. Because there ARE so many, I have them cataloged with a desktop program. With my advanced age, and acquiring so many digital forms via codes, I find most of my viewing of movies is through my 4K ATV. Since I also have a collection of films & music via iTunes and other outlets, I love the simplicity of pressing a few buttons on the remote whenever I need entertainment.
With my age comes other problems, my arthritis prevents me from getting in and out of bed without help. I've had to "accept" early retirement tho I cannot actually claim it until I'm 62...a few yrs away from that. So, relying on the digital means, even tho I know its frowned upon by some users who swear by owning physical copies....suits me fine.
All my TV is through the ATV, I have DTVNow, FilmStruck, Starz & MLB games, all which require a monthly sub I'm more than happy to provide. With a few exceptions all are in glorious 4K with HDR, some are even in DV...which I still have a 5.1 soundbar setup...so that doesn't apply to me.
Price is a relative thing, it doesn't really matter if you can afford them. I've worked long enough in my life to afford everything I want and I don't give my money away foolishly. Well, except for the time I bought a Sega Saturn....that's a tale for another day....
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders