Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Samurai Champloo: Anime Classics Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$15.99
3 hrs ago
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Hannibal 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.42

Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99
3 hrs ago
Vampire Hunter D (Blu-ray)
$7.99
9 hrs ago
If Beale Street Could Talk (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Wolf Children (Blu-ray)
$11.99
3 hrs ago
Justice League vs the Fatal Five (Blu-ray)
$18.99
15 hrs ago
A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Aura Battler Dunbine: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.99
15 hrs ago
The Boy and the Beast (Blu-ray)
$12.99
3 hrs ago
Steven Seagal 4-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$8.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 03-21-2016, 05:28 PM   #1
Special Member

Sep 2009
Default PS4 and Recordable Blu-rays

I posted this in an old thread of mine but the title was no longer relevant so I've decided to created a new one.

My goal is to create some blurays from files that are originally Mp4.

So I have learned that the PS4 will only read a recordable bluray if it is in the proper Video_TS format. You can't just drop a MP4 file onto a disc and play it. I've been doing some research on DVDfab, Nero and Leaow blu Ray disc creators. But I can't get a handle if these will create the TS folder format for me as well as burn it to a disc.

I did contact Leaow and Nero and the both suggest getting their separate converter softwares to do that first. Not sure if they are just trying to sell me more stuff or if the disc creator version just won't convert MP4 to video_ts

I also tried imgburn to do this but it doesn't seem to be able to do this for blurays. It shrinks the file size from 12gbs to 2gbs and the video looks compressed, choppy and much lower quality.

Anyone who has used either Nero, Leao or DVDfab have any helpful info?

Thanks
Old 03-21-2016, 07:28 PM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
R-Point

If you're using for legit reasons, video editing should give you the options to do .m2ts files. Sony Vegas let me do the output for Traumatic Possession 3D: The Tape in the .m2ts file stream to make a Blu-ray copy.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:48 PM   #3
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoEastwood View Post
If you're using for legit reasons, video editing should give you the options to do .m2ts files. Sony Vegas let me do the output for Traumatic Possession 3D: The Tape in the .m2ts file stream to make a Blu-ray copy.
Yeah, I see no reason why an MPEG can't be burned into a playable BD-R.

I've edited all my video as either AVC or M2T files (I think) and burned them onto BD-R and REs with Cyberlink PowerDirector. It's suited my needs perfectly, and I have been able to use AVIs and MPEGs in my projects. I never thought to try my discs in a PS4 yet, but they do work just fine in a PS3 and other home players.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:23 PM   #4
Special Member

Sep 2009

Thanks for the responses. Yeah all the videos are legit. Just backing up lots of random videos which would then be viewed on a PS4.

Apparently the PS4 reads recorded blurays differently than the PS3 did. Part of their anti-piracy initiative. But if they are in the correct folder structure format (VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS) they should work.

OrlandoEastwood - Have you tried your discs on a PS4?

SonyVegas is little more powerful than what I need. I don't need any editing software, just something that will convert to that format and has BD burning capabilities. I just can't figure out if those are two different products or not.

I have another Sony Blu ray player that reads them fine if I just dump the MP4 file as a data file but my setup isn't convenient for that.

Last edited by hamchuck1; 03-21-2016 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:42 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
Covington, KY PSN/NNID:varmintx

VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS are DVD folders. BDs are separated into BDMV and CERTIFICATE with a STREAM, PLAYLIST, and other folders depending on the disc's structure, under the former.

Have you tried TSMuxer? It will not re-encode videos, but simply mux them into the BD format. You may need to use something else to re-encode if the video format is not supported.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:07 PM   #6
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintx View Post
VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS are DVD folders. BDs are separated into BDMV and CERTIFICATE with a STREAM, PLAYLIST, and other folders depending on the disc's structure, under the former.

Have you tried TSMuxer? It will not re-encode videos, but simply mux them into the BD format. You may need to use something else to re-encode if the video format is not supported.
Ugh, you're right. I was wrong this whole time. Thanks for educating me!! That helps me out a lot to know that. If I had to guess I think that may solve my problem. Most of the creators I listed above don't explicitly say "BDMV" but they do say BD-25, which is disc size only.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:32 AM   #7
Expert Member

Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca

I've been burning Data Files like mp4/mkv/etc onto a Blank DVD formatted DVD-ROM (UDF) and they usually play fine.

Not having any luck with Blank Blu-Rays. Anyone know how to Toast these data Files for a Blank BR Disc?
Old 09-18-2018, 04:34 AM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Central Florida
Default It's so easy a caveman could do it.

To create the BD folder structure I'd recommend BD Rebuilder. It's a free application and very easy to use. Just import your MP4 file (File->Import->Video Files) once setting your "working" directory and the application generates the BD folder structure on the fly. From there burn the resulting BD folder structure (BDMV and CERTIFICATE) to a blank Blu-ray disc and you're done.

To burn to disc I'd recommend ImgBurn, another free application. (Recommend Verbatim BD-R's: 25gb, 50gb) Drop the blank Blu-ray in your drive, launch ImgBurn selecting the "Write files/folders to disc" option, give the disc you're about to burn a label (Labels\Volume Label\UDF), browse individually selecting the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders (Source\Browse for a folder...), go to the "Options" tab setting the Data Type to "MODE1/2048", File System to "UDF" and UDF Revision to "2.50" in addition to checking the "Recurse Subdirectories" option, then start your burn. Bada bing, bada boom.

Last edited by AmishParadise; 09-18-2018 at 05:02 AM.
Thanks given by:
Naiera (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 06:39 PM   #9
Expert Member

Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca

Thanx! Actually, I figured it out yesterday right after posting this. Just FYI: I'm on a 2010 Mac Pro in Sierra, so the apps you suggest won't work.

I had bought a Re-Writable BR 50 GB Disc to experiment with. I used Toast Titanium 16. My Re-Writable Disc Mounted on my Desktop and I Burned some Data Files (mkv and mp4) onto the Blank BR as: Data > DVD-ROM (UDF). It didn't work...

And then I figured out that there must have been some Basic Formatting to the Re-Writable Disk for it to even Mount... so I erased the Disc (and it didn't mount) and re-burned the Files the exact same way in Toast Titanium 16 as Data > DVD-ROM (UDF) and it worked perfectly. Both Files played perfectly on my PS4. Yay!

~Caveman
Thanks given by:
AmishParadise (09-18-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders