Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
21 hrs ago
Mad Max: Fury Road 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 hr ago
Hannibal 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.42

Vampire Hunter D (Blu-ray)
$7.99
3 hrs ago
Justice League vs the Fatal Five (Blu-ray)
$18.99
9 hrs ago
If Beale Street Could Talk (Blu-ray)
$19.99

A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Steven Seagal 4-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Dragon Ball Super: Broly (Blu-ray)
$22.99

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Aura Battler Dunbine: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.99
9 hrs ago
First Man (Blu-ray)
$17.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 09-24-2018, 11:23 AM   #1

Aug 2011
Ireland
Default Importing region A Blu Ray player

Iam looking to invest in a multi region player but was also just thinking of importing a player from the states because its working out much cheaper. my only concern is would the player work with an adaptor plug or would the voltage be an issue. I live in Ireland.

this is the player i was thinking about

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

any feedback appreciate.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:57 AM   #2

Mar 2014

Okay, many Sony players just need an outlet adapter, like the cheep sets found in stores and airportshops and online.
I have imported, via Amazon, the X700 4K player, and it works fine here in Denmark with 240v in����, think I payed $8 localy for the adapterset, so it fits with our wall outlets.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:10 PM   #3
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2008

Yeah, Sony's have an internal converter. You just need to buy the UK equivalent of whatever power cord it requires.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:52 PM   #4

Mar 2007
Rochester NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickal1983 View Post
Iam looking to invest in a multi region player but was also just thinking of importing a player from the states because its working out much cheaper. my only concern is would the player work with an adaptor plug or would the voltage be an issue. I live in Ireland.

any feedback appreciate.
From the manual:

DC IN:
BDP-S3700/BX370: 12 V DC,
650 mA
BDP-S1700: 12 V DC, 600 mA

Power requirements:
12 V DC with AC adaptor
Rating: Input 120 V AC, 60 Hz

It would seem if you got an adapter that converted the power to 12v DC and 600 mA it should work fine.

You may need to get an equivalent adapter as the manual warns against travel adapters. Although not sure why as it would seem the travel adapter might heat up and not the player but i would think travel adapters are designed for this type of power conversion so not sure why they would warn you about it.

On AC adaptor
• Use the supplied AC adaptor for this player,
as other adaptors may cause a malfunction.
• Do not disassemble or reverse-engineer.
• Do not confine the AC adaptor in a closed
place such as a bookshelf or an AV cabinet.
• Do not connect the AC adaptor to a
traveler’s electric transformer, which may
generate heat and cause a malfunction.
• Do not drop or apply shock.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:57 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickal1983 View Post

any feedback appreciate.
I just bought a region A ps3. They have a universal power supply and you just use a local power cable. I love it as a player, and I have a multi region Oppo, but the PS3 is a better player IMHO- no disc errors, fast, and an infinite disc memory (the oppo is none of these). And easy to replace and parts like an optical assembly.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:25 PM   #6

Aug 2011
Ireland

thanks for all the replies.

Ended up going with the Sony BDPS3700.
with shipping and duites fees it cost 81 euro to import to ireland.
It arrived 8 days after date of purchase.

I bought a travel adaptor from a local hardwear for 9 euro. this is the one https://travel-blue.com/product/visitors-to-uk-adaptor/

Only got time today to hook it up and i can safely say it works perfect, tried region 1 dvds works perfect and tried region A locked blu rays and again works perfect.

If people are on the look out for a region free player or multi region player i highly recommend importing, you save a good bit money and your getting a player that hasn't been hacked or modded.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:23 AM   #7
Expert Member

Jul 2014
Egypt

The idea of getting 2 players is indeed much better than getting a modded expensive multi-region player.

I went that route 4 years ago with a US Region A PS4 and bought a Sony BDP-S5200 Region B Player from the UK.

The US PS4 worked fine too at 220v here although it stated 110v.
Thanks given by:
Mobe1969 (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 12:19 AM   #8
Banned

Aug 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by r9800pro View Post
The idea of getting 2 players is indeed much better than getting a modded expensive multi-region player.

I went that route 4 years ago with a US Region A PS4 and bought a Sony BDP-S5200 Region B Player from the UK.

The US PS4 worked fine too at 220v here although it stated 110v.
2 players just to have multi region annoys me.
My UK Bluray recorder is multi region for Blurays and dvd's while my other BD devices are all locked to Region B.
But the recorder started failing a few months ago when it was burning to BD-R so I expect the Bluray laser is on the way out. I discovered that new Panasonic Bluray gear is not able to be modified for Bluray (ok for dvd though) and nobody else makes recorders so I had to get a new recorder just for the recordings and keep the old one purely for multi region playback.

Not sure why anyone would prefer to have 2 separate devices. Unless you buy cheap it doesn't work out cheaper to buy 2 devices than it does a good multi region one - not in the UK at least
Old 10-08-2018, 12:25 AM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2011
Brazil

Not sure how buying two players is advantageous or practical. There are modestly-priced region-free players - just check out 220electronics.com.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:08 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdigriz. View Post
My UK Bluray recorder is multi region for Blurays and dvd's while my other BD devices are all locked to Region B.
But the recorder started failing a few months ago when it was burning to BD-R so I expect the Bluray laser is on the way out. I discovered that new Panasonic Bluray gear is not able to be modified for Bluray (ok for dvd though) and nobody else makes recorders so I had to get a new recorder just for the recordings and keep the old one purely for multi region playback.

Not sure why anyone would prefer to have 2 separate devices. Unless you buy cheap it doesn't work out cheaper to buy 2 devices than it does a good multi region one - not in the UK at least
Pretty easy for me - and I have a multi region oppo as well.

1. The PS3 is cheap. and has universal power supply
2. The PS3 is fast, and has pretty well infinite disc memory
3. Easy to repair or replace
4. I don't have to play silly buggers keying in ridiculous codes, ejecting, power cycling etc on a SLOW player to switch regions.

If it was auto multi region, AND I knew it had a cast iron optical drive, I would consider one. But I'm honestly not aware of any you don 't have to do some ridiculous sequence to change the region.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:56 AM   #11
Expert Member

Jul 2014
Egypt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdigriz. View Post
In my case, it is a PS4 and a player.
The Region B Sony BDP-S5200 was £55 shipped and it is really small in size so it was a win-win decision for me.

Luckily, with new UHD players, it is not the case anymore as there is no region lock and since 3D isn't so popular in the US anymore, I will be mostly getting more 3D discs from Europe and UHD discs from both regions so an EU UHD player will be my next single player along with the PS4.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:43 PM   #12
Banned

Aug 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
Pretty easy for me - and I have a multi region oppo as well.

1. The PS3 is cheap. and has universal power supply
2. The PS3 is fast, and has pretty well infinite disc memory
3. Easy to repair or replace
4. I don't have to play silly buggers keying in ridiculous codes, ejecting, power cycling etc on a SLOW player to switch regions.

If it was auto multi region, AND I knew it had a cast iron optical drive, I would consider one. But I'm honestly not aware of any you don 't have to do some ridiculous sequence to change the region.
My first player, and the most popular ones in the UK change regions by pressing 1,2 or 3 in standby. That's it for the hardware modded ones.

My current recorder is hacked with firmware which also allows for the UOP to be disabled so you can skip or FF through sections your PS3 won't allow you to do and get to the menu quickly. However, the original key sequence was a pain but as I have a Logitech remote the multiple keys were installed on one button which is all it takes to switch Bluray regions. DVD multi is auto on all MR models.

Virtually every Bluray player in the UK is cheaper than the PS3. That actually seems to have been deleted now so you can't buy the ones with a decent hard drive new anymore and the few retailers that still have them charge the cost of more than 2 multi region Bluray players.

While my first Bluray player was interminably slow , the Panasonic UHD, Sony SACD and Bluray recorder I have now all load faster than the PS3 which I've always used for media storage but since they stopped the service that adds the track info to cd's I'm looking at the PS3 as an aging device starting to lose support. The web browser is a joke too.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:46 PM   #13
Banned

Aug 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by r9800pro View Post
In my case, it is a PS4 and a player.
The Region B Sony BDP-S5200 was £55 shipped and it is really small in size so it was a win-win decision for me.

Luckily, with new UHD players, it is not the case anymore as there is no region lock and since 3D isn't so popular in the US anymore, I will be mostly getting more 3D discs from Europe and UHD discs from both regions so an EU UHD player will be my next single player along with the PS4.
While the UHD's are not region coded the Bluray and dvd section still will be although I have a Panasonic UHD player which is multi for dvd only. Apparently all new Bluray players from Panasonic are now designed so that they cannot be hacked for MR on Bluray
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders