Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
19 hrs ago
Hannibal 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.42
 
Vampire Hunter D (Blu-ray)
$7.99
1 hr ago
Justice League vs the Fatal Five (Blu-ray)
$18.99
7 hrs ago
If Beale Street Could Talk (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Steven Seagal 4-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$8.99
 
A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Dragon Ball Super: Broly (Blu-ray)
$22.99
 
The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Underworld: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.09
 
First Man (Blu-ray)
$17.00
 
Justice League vs The Fatal Five 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.26
11 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2017, 09:41 PM   #201
albabe albabe is offline
Expert Member
 
Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca
2
Default Current Recommendations?

Curious if you guys have any current recommendations?

Do you have any recommendations?

I'd like Good/Great/Amazing/Stupendous Quality...

I need Region-Free and PAL, DVD & Blu-Ray.

I'd like it to play Data like mp4, WMV etc. from a Flash Drive or Burned Discs 4 and 8 GBs.

Last edited by albabe; 08-03-2017 at 11:49 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:40 AM   #202
scottc1992 scottc1992 is offline
Member
 
Jan 2010
3
Default

Omg! I forgot which button to push on my Sony BDP-S5100 to change regions! Does anyone know?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:59 AM   #203
scottc1992 scottc1992 is offline
Member
 
Jan 2010
3
Default

It worked!!!! Thank you SO much!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:34 PM   #204
CHASLS2 CHASLS2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Jul 2011
Tampa FL area
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPix View Post
I've been wanting to buy a region free blu-ray player that can also play DVDs and convert PAL to NTSC.

When online, I keep seeing links to the store at http://www.220-electronics.com My questions are...

1. Has anyone here bought any region free players (or anything else) from this vendor?

2. What was the store's service like?

3. How's the blu-ray player you bought been working for you? How long have you owned it? Has it worked reliably well for a long time?

I want a player that will not only play my growing batch of Region B blu-rays and convert any PAL content on them to NTSC, but also have very good picture & sound playback capabilities, comparable to that found in the PS3 I currently use.

So far, I'm considering one of 220s Pioneer or Panasonic models.
I did around 2 years ago and everything has been fine.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:29 PM   #205
albabe albabe is offline
Expert Member
 
Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca
2
Default

Just FYI:

I bought the Seiki SR4KP1 and it was delivered from Amazon last week. We set it up and it seems to work 100% Groovy!

It played my Australian "Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars" BR and it's Bonus Features just fine.

It also played my German PAL Northern Exposure DVD perfectly! In fact, I think it played it better than my now-extinct Oppo DV-981HD. I couldn't compare it to the Oppo but I think the Seiki's Upscaling looks a LOT better!

There is a Programmer Code that let's you into the Region and PAL settings and you can set it up to play PAL AND American DVDs. It seems you only have to change that setting once and from then on it'll play both PAL and American DVDs forever and a day. (I've already been beach-slapped in here for doing something against the rules, so I'm not sure I can post the code here - but it's easy to find, and if I find out it's ok, Ill post it).

The BR Region setting looks like you'll have to reset it whenever you play a "Different" BR Region than the one it's set to. So it's not automatic, but it's pretty easy to do and only takes a few seconds.

It's amazingly LIGHT WEIGHT and I really like the Displays for Time, Chapters, et al.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:48 PM   #206
Lum Lum is offline
Active Member
 
Lum's Avatar
 
Oct 2014
22
24
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by albabe View Post
Just FYI:

I bought the Seiki SR4KP1 and it was delivered from Amazon last week. We set it up and it seems to work 100% Groovy!

It played my Australian "Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars" BR and it's Bonus Features just fine.

It also played my German PAL Northern Exposure DVD perfectly! In fact, I think it played it better than my now-extinct Oppo DV-981HD. I couldn't compare it to the Oppo but I think the Seiki's Upscaling looks a LOT better!

There is a Programmer Code that let's you into the Region and PAL settings and you can set it up to play PAL AND American DVDs. It seems you only have to change that setting once and from then on it'll play both PAL and American DVDs forever and a day. (I've already been beach-slapped in here for doing something against the rules, so I'm not sure I can post the code here - but it's easy to find, and if I find out it's ok, Ill post it).

The BR Region setting looks like you'll have to reset it whenever you play a "Different" BR Region than the one it's set to. So it's not automatic, but it's pretty easy to do and only takes a few seconds.

It's amazingly LIGHT WEIGHT and I really like the Displays for Time, Chapters, et al.
That sounds nicer than other players. Remembering cryptic codes isn't too fun.

Personally I've been more inclined to buy a region B player over region free.
No immediate need for 3D, 4K, or region C. Not sure about NTSC/PAL conversion, I haven't subjected my TV to a PAL test suite.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:55 AM   #207
albabe albabe is offline
Expert Member
 
Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lum View Post
That sounds nicer than other players. Remembering cryptic codes isn't too fun.
It's 4 Numbers - I write 'em in the Manual.... and they're all over the internet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:00 AM   #208
mar3o mar3o is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Dec 2011
2
Default

220 Guarantees the region-free ability for the lifetime of the player. What happens if an update does break region-free playback? One member in the previous page had to send the player back, another one got emailed a link for a firmware which corrected the issue. That sounds like a much better solution than shipping the player back and forth and being without it for weeks. I don't love the idea of being without a player for weeks if I need to send it back for a region-fix. Do they at least cover shipping or do I need to pay for shipping back and forth also?

I need a region-free player and I'm considering 220, but this would be my first purchase. I see a lot of players listed but I need one that is around $200 or less, not Samsung, and supports 3D, and also PAL/50Hz conversion to 60Hz. I would like a newer model, as opposed to one from several years ago. Wondering what my options are.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:21 AM   #209
jdw89 jdw89 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
jdw89's Avatar
 
Jun 2013
City of Angels
514
67
106
150
Default

Anyone know how to change the region for Sony BDP S1500?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:09 AM   #210
hariseldon hariseldon is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
132
Default

I can tell how it works on mine -- a Sony 6700.

Player off (doesn't seem to matter if a disc is in the tray or not)
Yellow Button (left most)- A
Blue Button (2nd from Left) - B
Red Button (3rd from left)- C
Player comes on automatically and I can play the Region Disc.

I tried changing Region with the player on and it didn't work so it has to start in Off.Standby.

I did this with the remote that came with the player from Bombay (RMT-VB200U) and a remote from a run of the mill Region A 2010 era Sony that had never been used on the player so I think the Colored Buttons much be generic and not preprogrammed.

My Old Sony remotes worked on all the other functions on the player as well with have to do anything.

I don't know of any different remote sequence that might work. I read somewhere that if your buttons are in a different Left to Right color order, just forget the exact color and assume the Left-most button is A, second is B, etc. You mentioned having a different Sony Remote so I'm not sure if it's 100% the same as yours, but I think I'd be tempted to borrow or buy a cheap Sony replacement remote and try it first

Otherwise with you current 4K remote, I might just turn the player off and try each color individually to see what happens. I saw 2 different SOny 4K remotes with the buttons ordered differently

Last edited by hariseldon; 10-26-2018 at 04:24 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:17 AM   #211
Gambit1138 Gambit1138 is offline
Active Member
 
Apr 2013
Default

Anyone have any good experiences with warranty claims at 220? My BDP-S1700 is biting the bullet with days left in my warranty, and tech support has been giving me the runaround. They require me to be in front of the player in order to validate any claims, but I'm at work during their exact business hours and the warranty will be up by the time we're both available on Saturday.

Frustrating to say the least–I really love this player, but it feels like they're running out the clock.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:46 AM   #212
Mobe1969 Mobe1969 is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Mobe1969's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia
566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit1138 View Post
Anyone have any good experiences with warranty claims at 220? My BDP-S1700 is biting the bullet with days left in my warranty, and tech support has been giving me the runaround. They require me to be in front of the player in order to validate any claims, but I'm at work during their exact business hours and the warranty will be up by the time we're both available on Saturday.

Frustrating to say the least–I really love this player, but it feels like they're running out the clock.
How good is your acting at being in front of your player, LOL?

I've not tried them, but any sort of hardware warranty is guaranteed pain in my experience. I had issues with my oppo, and they were just not interested in helping. I'm one of the few that really don't mourn their cessation of disk based player manufacture...
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:28 PM   #213
stratford stratford is offline
Expert Member
 
Aug 2009
1
Default

Mobe1969 Get advise, but here in the UK if you pay for things by credit card, in situations like this the card issuer is jointly responcible
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Mobe1969 (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 07:16 AM   #214
oilers73 oilers73 is online now
Suspended
 
May 2016
Point Loma, San Diego
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
220 Guarantees the region-free ability for the lifetime of the player. What happens if an update does break region-free playback? One member in the previous page had to send the player back, another one got emailed a link for a firmware which corrected the issue. That sounds like a much better solution than shipping the player back and forth and being without it for weeks. I don't love the idea of being without a player for weeks if I need to send it back for a region-fix. Do they at least cover shipping or do I need to pay for shipping back and forth also?

I need a region-free player and I'm considering 220, but this would be my first purchase. I see a lot of players listed but I need one that is around $200 or less, not Samsung, and supports 3D, and also PAL/50Hz conversion to 60Hz. I would like a newer model, as opposed to one from several years ago. Wondering what my options are.
I have purchased 2 region free Sony players from 220 Electronics; one was bought about 2 years ago. An update from Sony will NOT affect the region free function. 220 guarantees this. You have nothing to worry about. Trust me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:37 PM   #215
stratford stratford is offline
Expert Member
 
Aug 2009
1
Default

Lum ref 'That sounds nicer than other players. Remembering cryptic codes isn't too fun.'

How hard can it be, just print the region change details on a sheet of A4 and keep the sheet under the player. Yes, I do it my self
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:29 AM   #216
jacobsever jacobsever is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
jacobsever's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Denver, CO
1
557
60
7
Default

15% off for Cyber Monday. Really close to biting a bullet on a region free 4K player. But I have no UHD discs, nor do I have a 4K tv. lol
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:56 AM   #217
jacobsever jacobsever is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
jacobsever's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Denver, CO
1
557
60
7
Default

Ended up just getting a standard blu-ray player, region free. It's been years since I've had a region free player, and I have tons of imports sitting on my shelves not being watched. LG BP350 for $119.00 shipped.

A bit of a stinger, considering the player itself (Region A locked) straight from LG is on sale for $60.00 right now. But I have a PS4 to play standard discs. This was one of the cheapest options.

There is an LG 4K player you could get for $203.15 right now...but it's strictly a blu ray player. No streaming apps at all. The one I got is Wifi enabled and has a bunch of streaming apps to use. So I think it'll be well worth it.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
oilers73 (11-27-2018)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:20 AM.