Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
19 hrs ago
Hannibal 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.42

Vampire Hunter D (Blu-ray)
$7.99
1 hr ago
Justice League vs the Fatal Five (Blu-ray)
$18.99
7 hrs ago
If Beale Street Could Talk (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Steven Seagal 4-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$8.99

A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Dragon Ball Super: Broly (Blu-ray)
$22.99

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Underworld: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.09

First Man (Blu-ray)
$17.00

Justice League vs The Fatal Five 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.26
11 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 07-03-2017, 09:41 PM   #201
Expert Member

Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca
Default Current Recommendations?

Curious if you guys have any current recommendations?

Do you have any recommendations?

I'd like Good/Great/Amazing/Stupendous Quality...

I need Region-Free and PAL, DVD & Blu-Ray.

I'd like it to play Data like mp4, WMV etc. from a Flash Drive or Burned Discs 4 and 8 GBs.

Last edited by albabe; 08-03-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:40 AM   #202

Jan 2010

Omg! I forgot which button to push on my Sony BDP-S5100 to change regions! Does anyone know?
Old 10-06-2017, 02:59 AM   #203

Jan 2010

It worked!!!! Thank you SO much!
Old 10-08-2017, 02:34 PM   #204

Jul 2011
Tampa FL area

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPix View Post
I've been wanting to buy a region free blu-ray player that can also play DVDs and convert PAL to NTSC.

When online, I keep seeing links to the store at http://www.220-electronics.com My questions are...

1. Has anyone here bought any region free players (or anything else) from this vendor?

2. What was the store's service like?

3. How's the blu-ray player you bought been working for you? How long have you owned it? Has it worked reliably well for a long time?

I want a player that will not only play my growing batch of Region B blu-rays and convert any PAL content on them to NTSC, but also have very good picture & sound playback capabilities, comparable to that found in the PS3 I currently use.

So far, I'm considering one of 220s Pioneer or Panasonic models.
I did around 2 years ago and everything has been fine.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:29 PM   #205
Expert Member

Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca

Just FYI:

I bought the Seiki SR4KP1 and it was delivered from Amazon last week. We set it up and it seems to work 100% Groovy!

It played my Australian "Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars" BR and it's Bonus Features just fine.

It also played my German PAL Northern Exposure DVD perfectly! In fact, I think it played it better than my now-extinct Oppo DV-981HD. I couldn't compare it to the Oppo but I think the Seiki's Upscaling looks a LOT better!

There is a Programmer Code that let's you into the Region and PAL settings and you can set it up to play PAL AND American DVDs. It seems you only have to change that setting once and from then on it'll play both PAL and American DVDs forever and a day. (I've already been beach-slapped in here for doing something against the rules, so I'm not sure I can post the code here - but it's easy to find, and if I find out it's ok, Ill post it).

The BR Region setting looks like you'll have to reset it whenever you play a "Different" BR Region than the one it's set to. So it's not automatic, but it's pretty easy to do and only takes a few seconds.

It's amazingly LIGHT WEIGHT and I really like the Displays for Time, Chapters, et al.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:48 PM   #206

Oct 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by albabe View Post
Just FYI:

I bought the Seiki SR4KP1 and it was delivered from Amazon last week. We set it up and it seems to work 100% Groovy!

It played my Australian "Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars" BR and it's Bonus Features just fine.

It also played my German PAL Northern Exposure DVD perfectly! In fact, I think it played it better than my now-extinct Oppo DV-981HD. I couldn't compare it to the Oppo but I think the Seiki's Upscaling looks a LOT better!

There is a Programmer Code that let's you into the Region and PAL settings and you can set it up to play PAL AND American DVDs. It seems you only have to change that setting once and from then on it'll play both PAL and American DVDs forever and a day. (I've already been beach-slapped in here for doing something against the rules, so I'm not sure I can post the code here - but it's easy to find, and if I find out it's ok, Ill post it).

The BR Region setting looks like you'll have to reset it whenever you play a "Different" BR Region than the one it's set to. So it's not automatic, but it's pretty easy to do and only takes a few seconds.

It's amazingly LIGHT WEIGHT and I really like the Displays for Time, Chapters, et al.
That sounds nicer than other players. Remembering cryptic codes isn't too fun.

Personally I've been more inclined to buy a region B player over region free.
No immediate need for 3D, 4K, or region C. Not sure about NTSC/PAL conversion, I haven't subjected my TV to a PAL test suite.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:55 AM   #207
Expert Member

Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lum View Post
That sounds nicer than other players. Remembering cryptic codes isn't too fun.
It's 4 Numbers - I write 'em in the Manual.... and they're all over the internet.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:00 AM   #208
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

220 Guarantees the region-free ability for the lifetime of the player. What happens if an update does break region-free playback? One member in the previous page had to send the player back, another one got emailed a link for a firmware which corrected the issue. That sounds like a much better solution than shipping the player back and forth and being without it for weeks. I don't love the idea of being without a player for weeks if I need to send it back for a region-fix. Do they at least cover shipping or do I need to pay for shipping back and forth also?

I need a region-free player and I'm considering 220, but this would be my first purchase. I see a lot of players listed but I need one that is around $200 or less, not Samsung, and supports 3D, and also PAL/50Hz conversion to 60Hz. I would like a newer model, as opposed to one from several years ago. Wondering what my options are.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:21 AM   #209
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013
City of Angels

Anyone know how to change the region for Sony BDP S1500?
Old 10-26-2018, 04:09 AM   #210
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-

I can tell how it works on mine -- a Sony 6700.

Player off (doesn't seem to matter if a disc is in the tray or not)
Yellow Button (left most)- A
Blue Button (2nd from Left) - B
Red Button (3rd from left)- C
Player comes on automatically and I can play the Region Disc.

I tried changing Region with the player on and it didn't work so it has to start in Off.Standby.

I did this with the remote that came with the player from Bombay (RMT-VB200U) and a remote from a run of the mill Region A 2010 era Sony that had never been used on the player so I think the Colored Buttons much be generic and not preprogrammed.

My Old Sony remotes worked on all the other functions on the player as well with have to do anything.

I don't know of any different remote sequence that might work. I read somewhere that if your buttons are in a different Left to Right color order, just forget the exact color and assume the Left-most button is A, second is B, etc. You mentioned having a different Sony Remote so I'm not sure if it's 100% the same as yours, but I think I'd be tempted to borrow or buy a cheap Sony replacement remote and try it first

Otherwise with you current 4K remote, I might just turn the player off and try each color individually to see what happens. I saw 2 different SOny 4K remotes with the buttons ordered differently

Last edited by hariseldon; 10-26-2018 at 04:24 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:17 AM   #211

Apr 2013

Anyone have any good experiences with warranty claims at 220? My BDP-S1700 is biting the bullet with days left in my warranty, and tech support has been giving me the runaround. They require me to be in front of the player in order to validate any claims, but I'm at work during their exact business hours and the warranty will be up by the time we're both available on Saturday.

Frustrating to say the least–I really love this player, but it feels like they're running out the clock.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:46 AM   #212
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit1138 View Post
Anyone have any good experiences with warranty claims at 220? My BDP-S1700 is biting the bullet with days left in my warranty, and tech support has been giving me the runaround. They require me to be in front of the player in order to validate any claims, but I'm at work during their exact business hours and the warranty will be up by the time we're both available on Saturday.

Frustrating to say the least–I really love this player, but it feels like they're running out the clock.
How good is your acting at being in front of your player, LOL?

I've not tried them, but any sort of hardware warranty is guaranteed pain in my experience. I had issues with my oppo, and they were just not interested in helping. I'm one of the few that really don't mourn their cessation of disk based player manufacture...
Old 11-07-2018, 06:28 PM   #213
Expert Member

Aug 2009

Mobe1969 Get advise, but here in the UK if you pay for things by credit card, in situations like this the card issuer is jointly responcible
Thanks given by:
Mobe1969 (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 07:16 AM   #214
Suspended

May 2016
Point Loma, San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
220 Guarantees the region-free ability for the lifetime of the player. What happens if an update does break region-free playback? One member in the previous page had to send the player back, another one got emailed a link for a firmware which corrected the issue. That sounds like a much better solution than shipping the player back and forth and being without it for weeks. I don't love the idea of being without a player for weeks if I need to send it back for a region-fix. Do they at least cover shipping or do I need to pay for shipping back and forth also?

I need a region-free player and I'm considering 220, but this would be my first purchase. I see a lot of players listed but I need one that is around $200 or less, not Samsung, and supports 3D, and also PAL/50Hz conversion to 60Hz. I would like a newer model, as opposed to one from several years ago. Wondering what my options are.
I have purchased 2 region free Sony players from 220 Electronics; one was bought about 2 years ago. An update from Sony will NOT affect the region free function. 220 guarantees this. You have nothing to worry about. Trust me.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:37 PM   #215
Expert Member

Aug 2009

Lum ref 'That sounds nicer than other players. Remembering cryptic codes isn't too fun.'

How hard can it be, just print the region change details on a sheet of A4 and keep the sheet under the player. Yes, I do it my self
Old 11-27-2018, 05:29 AM   #216
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009
Denver, CO

15% off for Cyber Monday. Really close to biting a bullet on a region free 4K player. But I have no UHD discs, nor do I have a 4K tv. lol
Old 11-27-2018, 05:56 AM   #217
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009
Denver, CO

Ended up just getting a standard blu-ray player, region free. It's been years since I've had a region free player, and I have tons of imports sitting on my shelves not being watched. LG BP350 for $119.00 shipped.

A bit of a stinger, considering the player itself (Region A locked) straight from LG is on sale for $60.00 right now. But I have a PS4 to play standard discs. This was one of the cheapest options.

There is an LG 4K player you could get for $203.15 right now...but it's strictly a blu ray player. No streaming apps at all. The one I got is Wifi enabled and has a bunch of streaming apps to use. So I think it'll be well worth it.
Thanks given by:
oilers73 (11-27-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders