Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Westworld: Season Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Westworld: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Underworld: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.09
21 hrs ago
The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot (Blu-ray)
$15.41
 
The White Princess (Blu-ray)
$7.99
38 min ago
Gotham: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
If Beale Street Could Talk (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Kimagure Orange Road (Blu-ray)
$63.68
 
Bourne: The Ultimate Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
 
Star Wars Rebels: Complete Season Four (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2018, 04:14 PM   #1
flintmarko1210 flintmarko1210 is offline
Member
 
flintmarko1210's Avatar
 
Aug 2014
NFC North
685
Default Screen flashes black Sony UBP-X800 4k player

I recently hooked up a Sony X800 player to a Samsung NU8000 4k display.

I'm noticing that on the home menu for the player that the screen will intermittenly flash black for a second or two and then come back. The TV menu screen works when this happens so I don't think it's the TV

It's even worse if I try a regular DVD movie in the player with constant flashing black. It will also flash black if I watch older special features on Blu-ray discs (ex. RoboCop Directors cut Blu).

4k movies and Blu-ray movies themselves play fine with no issue. Anybody have a fix idea here. I Googled some stuff for a couple hours but none of the suggestions seemed to help.

Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:40 PM   #2
chip75 chip75 is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
chip75's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Wales
1996
2043
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintmarko1210 View Post
I'm noticing that on the home menu for the player that the screen will intermittently flash black for a second or two and then come back. The TV menu screen works when this happens so I don't think it's the TV.
It sounds like some kind of handshake issue with HDMI or a cable issue. I'd unplug the player for 5-10 minutes and try another cable if you have one.

You can try a different HDMI input too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:29 PM   #3
flintmarko1210 flintmarko1210 is offline
Member
 
flintmarko1210's Avatar
 
Aug 2014
NFC North
685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
It sounds like some kind of handshake issue with HDMI or a cable issue. I'd unplug the player for 5-10 minutes and try another cable if you have one.

You can try a different HDMI input too.
I did try a different cable with the same effect. If it's working fine on Blu-ray and 4k movies, could that be a handshake issue? Is the cable 'confused' and freezing on SD sources?

Thanks again
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:21 PM   #4
chip75 chip75 is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
chip75's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Wales
1996
2043
8
Default

Is is flashing when you're watching the DVD movie itself or when you're, say, switching between the movie, menu and bonus features?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:47 PM   #5
flintmarko1210 flintmarko1210 is offline
Member
 
flintmarko1210's Avatar
 
Aug 2014
NFC North
685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
Is is flashing when you're watching the DVD movie itself or when you're, say, switching between the movie, menu and bonus features?
When watching the actual movie, no switching. Same happens when watching SD special features ported over to Blu.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:39 PM   #6
chip75 chip75 is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
chip75's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Wales
1996
2043
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintmarko1210 View Post
When watching the actual movie, no switching. Same happens when watching SD special features ported over to Blu.
Consistently flashing or flickering? Have you got Black Frame Insertion switched on with your television? It might affect the playback of non 24hz material.

What model TV do you have?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:51 PM   #7
danny24 danny24 is offline
Special Member
 
Feb 2010
47
Default

Check your video output settings on both tv and player.

Check deep color settings on player and tv, turn that off and see if you still have problem.

If all else fails just unplug unit and hdmi cable to tv and player wait a min and replug everything in and see.

Sounds like your player and tv having hdmi handshake issues it does not mean your player and tv is going bad. I have had this happen with the x800 to.

Mess with the settings for video on both tv and player and see.

Last edited by danny24; 08-11-2018 at 11:07 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:21 AM   #8
flintmarko1210 flintmarko1210 is offline
Member
 
flintmarko1210's Avatar
 
Aug 2014
NFC North
685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny24 View Post
Check your video output settings on both tv and player.

Check deep color settings on player and tv, turn that off and see if you still have problem.

If all else fails just unplug unit and hdmi cable to tv and player wait a min and replug everything in and see.

Sounds like your player and tv having hdmi handshake issues it does not mean your player and tv is going bad. I have had this happen with the x800 to.

Mess with the settings for video on both tv and player and see.
Thanks I remember trying some of those a couple weeks back. I'll try them all in the next couple days and report back
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:32 AM   #9
TheWalkingDead TheWalkingDead is offline
Special Member
 
TheWalkingDead's Avatar
 
Jul 2013
996
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintmarko1210 View Post
Thanks I remember trying some of those a couple weeks back. I'll try them all in the next couple days and report back
Any fix?
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:00 PM.