Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Puppet Master: The Blu-ray Col… $19.95 (90% claimed)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.42
20 hrs ago
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
11 hrs ago
Steven Seagal 4-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$8.99

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
2 hrs ago
Justice League vs The Fatal Five 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.26
3 hrs ago
If Beale Street Could Talk (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Princess Principal: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

First Man (Blu-ray)
$17.00
22 hrs ago
A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Dragon Ball Super: Broly (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Casablanca (Blu-ray)
$5.99
22 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 11-24-2018, 06:39 AM   #561
Expert Member

Aug 2009

how many times do people have to say 'Have you tried 220 electronics gattiweb or multiregion magic'?
Thanks given by:
Shemp (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 10:26 PM   #562
Special Member

Dec 2011
Chicago IL

Having a problem with my sony 3700 that was modified to be region free ,Do you have to keep switching the regions when going from A-B then B-A . BLue is for region B but what is it to get back to A ? Does any free software work on a PC ? I can only watch my region B blu-rays on the Sony . I was trying to get them to work on my PC but no player will work .
Old 01-15-2019, 11:06 PM   #563

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratford View Post
Shemp Some titles need more persistent storage like star ship troopers or the network option turning off. Failing that if it is an option return the player
Thanks. I did try that, hoping it would be an easy fix but it didn't work. I'm pretty sure it's an authoring issue. Their release of HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES was hiccuping in Oppo players too, with the menu not displaying properly. I steer clear of their releases now. Umbrella said they would investigate the issue with Sony but never got back to me.

I did email David at Gattiweb about the issue and he offered to take a look at it if I sent the player back and one of the discs that was locking up in the player but I haven't done it as every other distributors disc plays fine in it. A few people who are in the States have experienced the same issues with Umbrella discs and Sony players which is why I don't think it can be fixed. It doesn't matter what region you put the player in, they still lock up.

Last edited by Shemp; 01-15-2019 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:42 AM   #564
Suspended

May 2016
Point Loma, San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa5150 View Post
Having a problem with my sony 3700 that was modified to be region free ,Do you have to keep switching the regions when going from A-B then B-A . BLue is for region B but what is it to get back to A ? Does any free software work on a PC ? I can only watch my region B blu-rays on the Sony . I was trying to get them to work on my PC but no player will work .
I can answer two questions for you:

- yes, you have to switch the region each time you play a Blu-ray from a region different than the last disc.
- press the yellow button for region A, blue for region B, red for region C.

Sorry, but I know nothing about watching discs on a PC.

Last edited by oilers73; 01-16-2019 at 07:54 AM.
Thanks given by:
Mobe1969 (01-23-2019), sa5150 (01-16-2019), seangodschild (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 02:49 PM   #565

Nov 2009
Thumbs up Rattlebyte Mod chip is the real deal!! Very happy

I just finally last night installed my modification chip (cost about 50 something bucks) from Rattlebyte. And I can tell you, that I am no professional soldering expert, and the job was a bit tough because the wires and solder points are so tiny. After doing the solder job, and hooking up my player, INITIALLY I was a little bit disappointed because the "region unlocking" didn't work yet. BUT!! Upon downloading their custom firmware to a thumb drive, and inserting it in the front of my player (a Sony BDP-S5200) to upload that firmware, that was the magic bullet and everything works awesome now! I am enjoying watching my Region B locked movies now, that I have waited months and months to be able to enjoy. Rattlebyte is the real deal!

Last edited by seangodschild; 01-21-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Thanks given by:
Shemp (01-23-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 04:21 PM   #566
Expert Member

Aug 2009

seangodschild well done to you. They have no solder mods for different brands, though of course your choice.

Things are different now, when I bought my first Oppo a lot of my choice was the easy region mod.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:35 PM   #567

Feb 2018

So, I'm not super familiar with 220 Electronics (I am aware of them, just not versed in how they word things).

I am curious about this listing
https://www.220-electronics.com/lg-b...ay-player.html

The specs list a bullet point that it is Region A, with B and C optional for an extra 40 USD.

But, the bullet point right below it lists it as Blu-Ray "Zones" A, B, and C.

Are zones yet another region coding/locking method I'm unfamiliar with?? If not, why would they list it as A only in one line, but in the next list it as A,B, and C??
Old 01-24-2019, 11:50 PM   #568
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2013
South Midlands town of Denton
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKoA13 View Post
So, I'm not super familiar with 220 Electronics (I am aware of them, just not versed in how they word things).

I am curious about this listing
https://www.220-electronics.com/lg-b...ay-player.html

The specs list a bullet point that it is Region A, with B and C optional for an extra 40 USD.

But, the bullet point right below it lists it as Blu-Ray "Zones" A, B, and C.

Are zones yet another region coding/locking method I'm unfamiliar with?? If not, why would they list it as A only in one line, but in the next list it as A,B, and C??
You get Region("Zones") B and C along with A if you add the $40(Regions B & C Optional $40)!

From my understanding "Zones" are the same as "Regions".
Old 01-25-2019, 10:21 AM   #569
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011
Old Hill, West Midlands
Send a message via AIM to mattyl149

I'd been using a multi region Sony BDP S6700 as my main player as I didn't want to spend twice the price on the 4K UPBX700B as I didn't have 4K at the time

When I eventually got 4K last year, I bought the normal retail version of that player and kept the other one locked to Region A and used that for imports only. It was also handy to take on holiday as it was quite compact

As I haven't need to use it for a while I've left it disconnected as having two Sony players using the same remote signal meant turning one on turned both on. I decided to reconnect it the other day, and wasn't seeing the menu screen. I could put a disc in and the disc would play and I could see it, but I couldn't see the player menu

I tried disconnecting it from my receiver and connecting it straight to the TV, but that made no difference. I contacted Amazon and explained the situation and they arranged for me to send it back via Hermes for a refund. I'd bought it from 220-Electronics for 160 on Amazon, but dealt purely with Amazon for the return

I needed to get another player and so I thought I'd go for a different make, as then I wouldn't have the remote control conflict. I didn't see too many options on Amazon - just Sony and Panasonic, and as the one I was returning was now 198 (although probably cheaper elsewhere), I went with the Panasonic DMP-BDT380EB (the Wi-Fi version with the display panel)

It was 179 from TPS on Amazon, but I felt it was worth spending that bit extra rather than buying the more basic cheaper version. It came yesterday and I connected it to my receiver, but got no picture. I decided to try a different HDMI lead and it worked. I'm thinking now whether the HDMI lead was the issue and not the other player, although it doesn't explain why the disc played and was viewable, but not the menu. I didn't try playing a disc with the Panasonic before I swapped the HDMI lead over to see if the same thing happened

As for the player, it is longer, but it just fits through the gap on my TV stand. I do have a couple of issues with it. The Sony didn't really have many apps (this one doesn't really either although you can add ones from a store unlike the Sony), but they were easily accessible off one screen. You have to go through two or three screens to access them on the Panasonic. I'm also not a big fan of the remote as some of the buttons are small and I keep hitting the Netflix button rather than the up arrow, as the up arrow button is slightly recessed and really close to the Netflix button

There is also no display button on the remote which I find handy to easily press to see on screen how long I have left, chapter number and the audio format. I can access that on the Panasonic, but I have to go through an on screen menu. I haven't checked yet what the player display shows (probably time elapsed) and whether I can cycle through on that. There is also no subtitle button so if I quickly need to rewind something and put the subtitles on to see what was said, again I have to go through on screen menus. Both of these buttons are on the Sony remote

These are probably minor gripes as I mainly use the Sony 4K player to watch discs so this other one won't have a lot of use. I also tend to use the apps on my TV rather than the players and anything the Panasonic player can't support, is supported by the Sony. I suppose it is a little slower and there may well be other issues I have with it after I've used it a few times

Last edited by mattyl149; 01-25-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 01:52 AM   #570
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Quebec City, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers73 View Post
I can answer two questions for you:

- yes, you have to switch the region each time you play a Blu-ray from a region different than the last disc.
- press the yellow button for region A, blue for region B, red for region C.

Sorry, but I know nothing about watching discs on a PC.
Does region C really exist?
Old 01-26-2019, 05:11 AM   #571
Suspended

May 2016
Point Loma, San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_qc View Post
Does region C really exist?
Yes. India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Mainland China, Pakistan, Russia, Central and South Asia.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:59 PM   #572
Special Member

Aug 2013
Washington

So looking into this site: https://www.220-electronics.com/regi...y-players.html, does anyone have recommendations for an all-region model that will play 4K discs? I'd really like one that's user-friendly and easy to navigate for newcomers (such as myself).

I find this whole topic more confusing than I probably should...
Thanks given by:
oilers73 (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 10:46 PM   #573
Suspended

May 2016
Point Loma, San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooked View Post
So looking into this site: https://www.220-electronics.com/regi...y-players.html, does anyone have recommendations for an all-region model that will play 4K discs? I'd really like one that's user-friendly and easy to navigate for newcomers (such as myself).

I find this whole topic more confusing than I probably should...
4K? Sorry, no. I haven't gone the UHD route, and I don't plan to. Surely someone else with a region-free 4K player will read this thread...?

As a general rule, I have always used Sony players (even for my first DVD player), and I've never had any issues. Their interface is easy to read and use.
Thanks given by:
Spooked (01-26-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 04:27 AM   #574

Feb 2017

Quote:
4K? Sorry, no. I haven't gone the UHD route, and I don't plan to. Surely someone else with a region-free 4K player will read this thread...?

As a general rule, I have always used Sony players (even for my first DVD player), and I've never had any issues. Their interface is easy to read and use.
I'm looking at the Sony BDP S-1700 on their site..I am a bit confused. Do I need to buy the extra $40 option, to get it to be region free??
Thanks given by:
oilers73 (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 08:02 AM   #575
Suspended

May 2016
Point Loma, San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie3371 View Post
I'm looking at the Sony BDP S-1700 on their site..I am a bit confused. Do I need to buy the extra $40 option, to get it to be region free??
For DVDs, no. For Blu-rays, yes. Helpful tip: 220 Electronics offers the same region free players on eBay for a lower price. The model you mentioned is $99 (no tax or shipping), and it is already region free. I bought this exact one for my office in December.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-BDP-S1...frcectupt=true
Thanks given by:
Spooked (01-27-2019), Willie3371 (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 01:45 AM   #576

Feb 2017

Quote:
For DVDs, no. For Blu-rays, yes. Helpful tip: 220 Electronics offers the same region free players on eBay for a lower price. The model you mentioned is $99 (no tax or shipping), and it is already region free. I bought this exact one for my office in December.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-BDP-S1...frcectupt=true
Thanks a lot!!
Thanks given by:
oilers73 (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 04:36 PM   #577

Sep 2018
Cork, Ireland

A quick question - I'm looking for a cheap blu ray player that is easily hacked to play region 1 DVDs, I don't need it to play region one blu rays. This is for the TV in the media room where I will be watching a huge collection of region 1 horror dvds that I'm in no rush to be upgrading to blu ray. Any recommendations, preferably something available from amazon as I'm based in Ireland? Ideally something that can be unlocked with a remote control code, if possible!
Old 01-29-2019, 09:06 PM   #578
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2013
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast Within View Post
A quick question - I'm looking for a cheap blu ray player that is easily hacked to play region 1 DVDs, I don't need it to play region one blu rays. This is for the TV in the media room where I will be watching a huge collection of region 1 horror dvds that I'm in no rush to be upgrading to blu ray. Any recommendations, preferably something available from amazon as I'm based in Ireland? Ideally something that can be unlocked with a remote control code, if possible!
Already for you (I do not know what you consider cheap though )!

Sony BDP-S6500 Multi Region Blu-ray DVD Region Free Player 110-240 Volts
Thanks given by:
Spooked (01-29-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 02:28 PM   #579

Sep 2018
Cork, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagios View Post
Already for you (I do not know what you consider cheap though )!

Sony BDP-S6500 Multi Region Blu-ray DVD Region Free Player 110-240 Volts
Was actually looking at the UK equivelant, which is priced about 140 pounds - I saw this one though, which might do the job, and reviews seem ok! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-D...blu-ray+player
Old 01-30-2019, 09:18 PM   #580
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2013
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast Within View Post
Was actually looking at the UK equivelant, which is priced about 140 pounds - I saw this one though, which might do the job, and reviews seem ok! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-D...blu-ray+player
UK equivalent to the US one I have and enjoy... good quality w/added bonus for you for blu-rays!

SONY BDP-S3700
Thanks given by:
The Beast Within (01-30-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders