Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Soon: Puppet Master: The Blu-ray Col… ()

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.42
18 hrs ago
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
8 hrs ago
Steven Seagal 4-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Princess Principal: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Justice League vs The Fatal Five 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.26
1 hr ago
A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Man of Steel 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
12 hrs ago
Dragon Ball Super: Broly (Blu-ray)
$22.99

If Beale Street Could Talk (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

San Andreas 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
23 hrs ago
Happy Death Day 2U (Blu-ray)
$23.78

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International

Old 03-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #41

Dec 2010
MA, USA

Yes, the restoration is costly, although bit cheaper when done in Poland. Based on these sources is between 100-200k PLN (35-70k USD) per movie. I don't think it's that crazy expensive:

http://film.onet.pl/wiadomosci/cyfro...wiadomosc.html
http://www.nina.gov.pl/o-instytucie/...wych-diamentow

Anyway, it has been largely paid for from public funds:

Quote:
Koszt renowacji jednego filmu to kwota ok. 200 tys. zł. Pieniądze można zdobyć w różnych instytucjach. Wspomniane filmy Konwic-kiego rekonstruowano ze środków Ministerstwa Kultury, nowe projekty KinoRP będą finansowane przez Narodowy Instytut Audiowizualny, pieniądze są też w PISF-ie, KADR wykłada też własne środki.
Sure, it's understandable and desired that additional revenue is brought from the video sales, but given the public funding behind the restoration I take an issue with an exclusive deal that is basically a tax fraud.

And from the get go the project promised releases exclusively on blu-ray: http://kinorp.pl/info/tekst_3.pdf

Quote:
(...) KinoRP to projekt długofalowy, łączący elitarność z powszechnością, tak by każdy widz, niezależnie od swoich odbiorczych preferencji, miał stały dostęp do wybitnych polskich filmów w najwyższej cyfrowej jakości. Dlatego też specjalna seria arcydzieł polskiego kina ukaże się na płytach blu-ray, a później zostanie pokazana przez kanały telewizji HD. Wyróżnikiem projektu jest wysoka jakość, stąd rezygnujemy z nośników takich jak płyty dvd, które nie mogą jej zapewnić (...)
While I have nothing against releasing them on dvd, especially that blu-ray players are not ubiquitous in Poland yet, I believe, still I am mad the promise of blu-ray releases is not kept (and most of these movies were supposed to be released last year).

Last edited by unclemat; 03-24-2011 at 01:05 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #42

Dec 2010
MA, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
But if these restorations have largely been paid for by public funds, then surely that creates a much stronger case for the end result to be made available to as many people as possible? Why should Polish taxpayers in general be forced to fund things that will only benefit that tiny minority that owns a Blu-ray system?

I'm still playing devil's advocate, obviously, but I've had to deal with questions like these myself on more occasions than I care to remember!
I think the solution was simple: release as DVDs and Blu-rays at the same time and distribute via normal channels without tax evasion "book" scheme. Simple, customers can choose which version they prefer. And you could buy them via both B&M and online retailers. They should think about export markets as well, since the releases are English friendly and there is clearly interest abroad in these releases.

Last edited by unclemat; 03-22-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:16 PM   #43

May 2010

Is the restoration the major cost? If the restoration is already done and paid for, doesn't that mean that one of the main obstacles for releasing it on blu-ray has been removed.?
And even if they don't release it now, don't they have a hd master so they can release it at some time in the future when all Poles have blu-ray players?

Anygrounds for hope, MichaelB? I notice on another forum you mentioned rumours that the blu-ray probably won't be happening.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:22 PM   #44

Dec 2010
MA, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool hand bluke View Post
Is the restoration the major cost? If the restoration is already done and paid for, doesn't that mean that one of the main obstacles for releasing it on blu-ray has been removed.?
And even if they don't release it now, don't they have a hd master so they can release it at some time in the future when all Poles have blu-ray players?

Anygrounds for hope, MichaelB? I notice on another forum you mentioned rumours that the blu-ray probably won't be happening.
Of course the restored masters are available and will stay around. Part of the KinoRP restoration project's goals was to keep the digital copies on hand in digital cinemas and make these movies more available to the general public.

So I hope it's matter of time before blu-rays get released. However when I called Pro-motion (the distributor for the first three blu-ray titles), they said they don't know when they will get the masters for the blu-ray releases, but they did not say they will never get them. Once whatever argument there is (about money, I guess) is over, hopefully will see the blu-rays some day.

Btw, I noticed there is a pre-order up for Ashes and Diamonds blu-ray on Amazon.co.uk. No idea if this is the same transfer as released by Pro-motion:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ashes-Diamon...0821452&sr=1-4

Last edited by unclemat; 03-22-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:46 PM   #45

May 2010

Or maybe they could licence them out. They could get the BFI treatment. Or MoC.
Afterall, the Polish govt in exile was based in Britain during the war. Could the same happen with blu-rays
Old 03-23-2011, 04:42 AM   #46

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool hand bluke View Post
Or maybe they could licence them out. They could get the BFI treatment. Or MoC.
Afterall, the Polish govt in exile was based in Britain during the war. Could the same happen with blu-rays
Polish Cinema in Exile? Lawl.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:57 PM   #47

Dec 2010
MA, USA

Ok, I reached someone in "the know". Can't disclose any details, but for now indeed the blu-ray releases are postponed. They are however planned. No definite dates.

I also heard the DVDs are of top notch quality, with highest possible bitrates, surpassing Critierion DVDs overall in quality. I guess if someone cannot wait these may not be a bad buy.

Last edited by unclemat; 03-23-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:19 PM   #48

May 2010

That's great that they could get a release before too long. Thanks for taking the time and trouble Unclemat
Old 03-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #49
Special Member

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemat View Post
Ok, I reached someone in "the know". Can't disclose any details, but for now indeed the blu-ray releases are postponed. They are however planned. No definite dates.

I also heard the DVDs are of top notch quality, with highest possible bitrates, surpassing Critierion DVDs overall in quality. I guess if someone cannot wait these may not be a bad buy.
Did this person "in the know" say whether there were any english subtitles on the DVDs?
Old 03-24-2011, 02:57 AM   #50

Dec 2010
MA, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by charnier View Post
Did this person "in the know" say whether there were any english subtitles on the DVDs?
Good question. Trying to find out.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #51
Special Member

Feb 2010

Even though this is not blu, just to confirm that the new Polish DVD of Saragossa Manuscript does not have any English subs.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #52

Dec 2010
MA, USA

That stinks. I never heard back from my "source".

Anyway, I am waiting for blu-rays.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #53

Jun 2011
somewhere deep in Russia
Question

When will be released Vabank/Vabank II on blu-ray?
Old 07-04-2011, 02:57 PM   #54

Sep 2010
PL

this year, but the didn't (pro-motion) say when exactly
Old 09-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #55

Aug 2008
Exclamation

POLISH BLU-RAY LIST .... (info site)

http://www.poral.eu/filmy_polskie.php
Old 09-12-2011, 07:57 PM   #56
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoDeX View Post
POLISH BLU-RAY LIST .... (info site)

http://www.poral.eu/filmy_polskie.php
thanks for that list - there seems to be a lot of tempting Polish blu-rays. And I like that the majority of them have English subtitles.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:31 PM   #57

Dec 2010
MA, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
thanks for that list - there seems to be a lot of tempting Polish blu-rays. And I like that the majority of them have English subtitles.
It's appalling that majority of them are 1080i50. One would think the days of PAL speedup would be long gone. I guess, they just dump HD TV masters to blu-ray.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #58

Oct 2011
Detroit MI, USA

Can anyone recommend which movies would be good to start out with? I'd like to place an order for 3-4 titles.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #59

Sep 2010
PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbannow View Post
Can anyone recommend which movies would be good to start out with? I'd like to place an order for 3-4 titles.
definitely you should start with :
Dom zly - superb thriller
http://www.poral.eu/dom_zly.php
Katyn - WWII - historical
http://www.poral.eu/katyn_ver_uk.php
Ogniem i Mieczem
http://www.poral.eu/ogniem_i_mieczem.php
Popiol i diament - one of the best polish classic
http://www.poral.eu/popiol_i_diament.php

and:
Vabank
Vabank II
Wielki Szu
Rekopis znaleziony w Saragossie
Matka Joanna od Aniolów
Seksmisja <<<< must have, fantastic comedy
Faraon
Wesele
Old 11-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #60
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulec View Post
and:
Seksmisja <<<< must have, fantastic comedy
Faraon
These two still haven't got released on blu-ray in Poland, right?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International