Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Westworld: Season Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Westworld: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Underworld: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.09
21 hrs ago
The White Princess (Blu-ray)
$7.99
1 hr ago
The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot (Blu-ray)
$15.41

Gotham: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

If Beale Street Could Talk (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Kimagure Orange Road (Blu-ray)
$63.68

A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Bourne: The Ultimate Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Star Wars Rebels: Complete Season Four (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 12-02-2011, 05:42 AM   #1
Expert Member

Feb 2008
Default Region Free Players at 220-electronics.com.

I've been wanting to buy a region free blu-ray player that can also play DVDs and convert PAL to NTSC.

When online, I keep seeing links to the store at http://www.220-electronics.com My questions are...

1. Has anyone here bought any region free players (or anything else) from this vendor?

2. What was the store's service like?

3. How's the blu-ray player you bought been working for you? How long have you owned it? Has it worked reliably well for a long time?

I want a player that will not only play my growing batch of Region B blu-rays and convert any PAL content on them to NTSC, but also have very good picture & sound playback capabilities, comparable to that found in the PS3 I currently use.

So far, I'm considering one of 220s Pioneer or Panasonic models.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:14 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2009
PA

Panasonic does not convert PAL to NTSC.

Last edited by HyperRealist; 12-02-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:32 AM   #3

Oct 2008
United States

I had experienced buying from them, this was a dvd player converted to multi region, I messed it up by upgrading a firmware which switch it back to plain Region 1, called them and told me to send it back, they paid shipping both ways!
Old 12-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
Expert Member

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperRealist View Post
Panasonic does not convert PAL to NTSC.

Thanks again for that clarification. Looks as if I'll also be purchasing a good receiver down the line. By the way, are there any receivers you would recommend? One that not only converts PAL to NTSC but also has a fairly substantial number of HDMI and other ports along with support all the latest audio and video formats, etc., reliable and at a very cost-effective price point.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
Expert Member

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyv View Post
I had experienced buying from them, this was a dvd player converted to multi region, I messed it up by upgrading a firmware which switch it back to plain Region 1, called them and told me to send it back, they paid shipping both ways!
Good to know. It seems a link to their site usually turns up whenever searching for region free players.

Is there any particular region free blu-ray player (from that site or elsewhere) that you would recommend in terms of reliability and technical quality?
Old 12-02-2011, 09:10 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2009
PA

I didn't know any receivers convert PAL to NTSC. Maybe they do, IDK...
Old 12-03-2011, 06:41 AM   #7
Expert Member

Feb 2008

Quote:
I'll have to look into it.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #8

Oct 2008
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPix View Post
Good to know. It seems a link to their site usually turns up whenever searching for region free players.

Is there any particular region free blu-ray player (from that site or elsewhere) that you would recommend in terms of reliability and technical quality?
Nobody in the forum who owns one had chimed in...if I would buy one region free and reliable I would go for the Oppo, the reason without me researching all of them is that every now and then there's always firmware upgrades and when you upgrade the players that are originally region locked it'll locked itself again, just saying from my experience...
Old 12-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #9
Power Member

Jun 2010
Florida

I bought a region free JVC dvd player about 7 years ago (for all my British shows like Rising Damp, Auf Weidersen Pet and Only Fools and Horses). It's still working great, I was thinking about buying a region free blu ray from them.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:56 AM   #10

Sep 2011
California, USA

I just placed an order for the all region version of the Toshiba BDX-1200. Of course, I'm hoping for the best...
Old 03-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #11

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPix View Post
Thanks again for that clarification. Looks as if I'll also be purchasing a good receiver down the line. By the way, are there any receivers you would recommend? One that not only converts PAL to NTSC but also has a fairly substantial number of HDMI and other ports along with support all the latest audio and video formats, etc., reliable and at a very cost-effective price point.
Quote:
I don't believe any receiver will convert PAL -> NTSC content and vice versa. This is generally done by a converter in the player.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #12

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

I might also add, I would highly advise not going with this model. Since it does not have a built in PAL->NTSC converter, being Region Free will not help you much if your player cannot access PAL content. A majority of Region B locked films have PAL content.

I personally own the Oppo BDP83 and cannot say enough good things about it. It is the best Region Free player on the market, aside from maybe the new Oppo's (BDP93, BDP95).
Old 03-29-2012, 02:07 AM   #13

Sep 2011
California, USA

Received my Toshiba player today and verified a few things. PAL to NTSC worked fine with a DVD and, after entering the code sequence, region B was successful too. DVD region playback is automatic while BD regions must be manually changed via the code sequence. Also tried the region free UK release of Cleopatra, which tripped up my OPPO prior to the last firmware update, and it played fine. Otherwise this thing is a very basic, entry level player. As long as it's reliable I'll be happy to have it as a dedicated region B player in my system.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:58 AM   #14

Sep 2009

I finally broke down and placed an order for a region free Blu-ray player. I chose the LG BD630. I have ordered from 220-electronics before and have not had any problems with their service or products. I hope to have this player by next week. Now to buy some region encoded Blu-rays.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:20 AM   #15
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2007
Utah

I have never seen this site before. Are they saying that these players will play Region A,B, and C out of the box?

Also, are they a reliable company?
Old 04-08-2012, 04:55 AM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
San Antonio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvm View Post
I have never seen this site before. Are they saying that these players will play Region A,B, and C out of the box?

They seem like it according to the previous posters. I say go for it. I would go for it if I had the money.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:37 AM   #17

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvm View Post

To answer your questions...yes, and yes. I still have my region free JVC DVD player that I purchased from them several years ago and it is still working fine.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #18
Power Member

Dec 2008
Madison, WI

I got the Oppo BDP-93 from 220. With their price match guarantee minus $20 I got it for $20 less than Bombay had it for. My price was $564.25 shipped. 220's price is $590 shipped. I emailed them with the price comparison (Bombay has it for $615 but with 5% off and free shipping which comes to $584.25 and beats their $590. Minus $20 makes it $564.25. They said yes, they would honor their guarantee. I just had to order it by phone instead of online. They were 100% professional and helpful.

And great service! I live close (they're in the Chicago area and I'm in Madison, WI) but I couldn't believe it came the day after I ordered it.

The first thing I tried was the Torchwood Miracle Day I had gotten from Amazon UK, the only BD I had that is perhaps not playable in Region A. The Amazon UK site says it is region free but it wouldn't play on my Sony or Samsung Region A players. I emailed them and they refunded my money and told me I didn't have to send it back. I had it for sale on half.com. It didn't sell in a couple of weeks and when I got seriously thinking about finally getting a region free player I delisted it. That turned out to be fortunate as it plays flawlessly on the Oppo.

Today I received Brotherhood of the Wolf from Amazon France. I just finished watching it.

It's great to not have to worry about regions coding any more.

And 220 seems to be a first class operation.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:21 AM   #19

Apr 2012

I bought a Sharp region free PAL/NTSC converter blu-ray player about 18 months ago. However, the conversion of PAL DVDs to NTSC was grainy and way worse than my region free PAL/NTSC converting Yamaha DVD player I already have. I wasn't able to test the conversion of PAL blurays but obviously I sent the player back and got refunded, so 220 operates fine.

However, I am since then reluctant to buy a region free bluray players in fear that the conversion might be sub par.

How are these converter blu ray players now? How is the picture quality of PAL DVDs and Blurays on NTSC equipment? Any quality loss? Or do the new models they offer today have that problem solved?

Thanks for any comments.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:38 AM   #20
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2007
Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olexus View Post
I bought a Sharp region free PAL/NTSC converter blu-ray player about 18 months ago. However, the conversion of PAL DVDs to NTSC was grainy and way worse than my region free PAL/NTSC converting Yamaha DVD player I already have. I wasn't able to test the conversion of PAL blurays but obviously I sent the player back and got refunded, so 220 operates fine.

However, I am since then reluctant to buy a region free bluray players in fear that the conversion might be sub par.

How are these converter blu ray players now? How is the picture quality of PAL DVDs and Blurays on NTSC equipment? Any quality loss? Or do the new models they offer today have that problem solved?

Thanks for any comments.
MAybe I am not following you, but what conversion are you talking about?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders