Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Westworld: Season Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Westworld: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Underworld: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.09
21 hrs ago
The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot (Blu-ray)
$15.41

The White Princess (Blu-ray)
$7.99
38 min ago
Gotham: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

If Beale Street Could Talk (Blu-ray)
$19.99

A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Kimagure Orange Road (Blu-ray)
$63.68

Bourne: The Ultimate Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Star Wars Rebels: Complete Season Four (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 04-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #21

Sep 2009

My LG BD630 arrived today. I have only played a region 3 DVD and it works like a charm. I am waiting for some region B bluryas to arrive so I can test it out with a bluray. My only minor quirk with this player is that I have to manually select the region whenever watching a bluray. The DVD's are automatically switched to the correct region when playing.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #22
Power Member

Dec 2008
Madison, WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by monque View Post
My LG BD630 arrived today. I have only played a region 3 DVD and it works like a charm. I am waiting for some region B bluryas to arrive so I can test it out with a bluray. My only minor quirk with this player is that I have to manually select the region whenever watching a bluray. The DVD's are automatically switched to the correct region when playing.
That seems to be the case with most, if not all, of the modified players. I have to manually change the BD region with my new Oppo. For the most part I'm going to use it for Region Bs and use my Sony for Region As.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:20 AM   #23

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by movielib View Post
That seems to be the case with most, if not all, of the modified players. I have to manually change the BD region with my new Oppo. For the most part I'm going to use it for Region Bs and use my Sony for Region As.
Thanks movielib. I guess Im not alone. I was hoping that the USPS would deliver some region blu's I ordered last week, but no such luck. I guess I wil have to wait till next week.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:27 AM   #24
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2007
Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by movielib View Post
That is an "inconvenience" I can live with.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:41 AM   #25
Power Member

Dec 2008
Madison, WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvm View Post
That is an "inconvenience" I can live with.
Yes, no biggie. I just have this irrational fear that I'll change it to Region A and won't be able to get it back to B. I really only need it for B locked discs so...
Old 11-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #26
Banned

Aug 2011
Thumbs up

I just bought my first Code Free Blu Ray Player the Toshiba BDX 1200.
I was reading any earlier post about upgrading firmware and the person said it reverted from Code Free to Region A - Is this something that is common or was that just a special case ?
At any rate Im looking forward to having this and testing a few imports.

http://www.220-electronics.com/toshi...vd-player.html
Old 11-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #27
Power Member

Dec 2008
Madison, WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsman71 View Post
I was reading any earlier post about upgrading firmware and the person said it reverted from Code Free to Region A - Is this something that is common or was that just a special case ?

Problems you have read about have not been with professionally hardware modified players.

220-electronics.com (and most other companies that sell hardware modified region free players) guarantee that firmware updates will not nullify the region free capability.

I've done several firmware updates with my Oppo and have had no problems.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #28

Sep 2011
California, USA

Quote:

I've had this player since March and, so far, there hasn't been a need to update the firmware. It's played every disc it's been given.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #29
Banned

Aug 2011

This is all good to know, thank you all. I guess if I needed to check firmware there is a Toshiba website to do so ?
I cant wait to get this , so I can watch my DVDs and Blu Rays from overseas in HD. Its amazing how well DVD sharpness looks when you play it in a Blu Ray player
Old 11-28-2012, 12:53 AM   #30

Sep 2011
California, USA

Quote:
This is all good to know, thank you all. I guess if I needed to check firmware there is a Toshiba website to do so ?
I cant wait to get this , so I can watch my DVDs and Blu Rays from overseas in HD. Its amazing how well DVD sharpness looks when you play it in a Blu Ray player
Regarding this unit - you will find it to be a very basic player, in terms of construction, build quality and features. If not for the multi-region capability it would be a sub $100 unit. The only reason I could ever see a need for a firmware update is for some sort of compatibility issue; there are no apps on the unit to maintain. The upside is that it will indeed provide a fine picture and the company we bought it from does support it if anything goes wrong.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:17 AM   #31
Banned

Aug 2011

Yes I wanted a basic code free player that could play my Import DVDs and possible Blu Rays I might get. Just something simple that will play the movie and supplements.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:57 AM   #32

Dec 2012
Nashville, TN

New poster. I have recently had dealings with 220 and I was searching for a review site to say what I wanted. This forum was one of the top results on Google for "220 Electronics review". Seems a few here have asked the question "has anyone bought from these people" and anyone else searching may well come across this thread too.

This is going to be a glowing review so I need to establish a few things first.

Most importantly I have no affiliation with 220 whatsoever, other than to say I am a customer. I am in fact a Brit, ex-pat now living in TN for the past 5 years. When I emigrated I brought all my region 2 DVDs with me and one of the first things I did then was to buy a DVD player that I was able to set the region to "zero". A Philips served my purpose, bought from BestBuy and cracked using a handset sequence I found on a web site called Video Help. My wife and I decided we wanted to get a Bluray and I tried to go the same route as last time but it was difficult to pin down a 3D Bluray that I could handset crack the DVD region. This is how I ended up finding 220. I did find another 2 sites, (World Distributors and Bombay Electronics), but I chose 220 because of the model player I ended up choosing. That was the only factor in deciding who to buy from. I wanted the Toshiba BDX5300KU.

So, to answer the OP's question.
Yes, I have bought from them and depending on your POV I had a satisfying experience, but one that serves well to answer anyone's suspicions about them.
I ordered the Toshiba. It was pricey, almost double the price I could find on other sites, but theirs was hardware modified and they give a lifetime guarantee on the multizone feature even after firmware updates. At least they gave free shipping after I forked out $200 for this sucker!
Well, the player arrived 3 days later via FedEx. To my surprise and disappointment they only packaged the Toshiba box directly in one of those grey courier plastic bags. That had taken a whack during transit obviously because when I took it out of the box there was a large dent on the top, dead centre just behind the front facia. It was enough to actually cause the player to curve up at the ends. I wasn't happy. So I phoned them. I spoke to a guy called Mike, who after hearing my problem immediately gave me 2 options. 1/ exchange the unit for a new one at their cost or 2/ if the player worked I could keep it and they would issue a partial refund. That turned out to be a $30 offer and I decided I'd rather have a pristine new one. Ten minutes later I had received emails from him to print out the return label and within an hour I received an email from FedEx saying they had received the new shipment and gave me the tracking number.

OK, so i was narked that my player arrived damaged but wow was the solution satisfying and quick. Oh, I need to point out that I asked Mike if he would get his shipping to double box the player as I wasn't happy about the plastic bag crap! He agreed, sent an email with the new receipt on showing the notes mentioning that! They sent that out before I had even repacked the 1st one to send back, which I did the next day.

So, FedEx turn up a couple of days later but I was again disappointed to see the driver climb out carrying a familiar looking plastic courier bag! I explained, (as it was the same driver as before) about the situ and asked if he minded waiting while I quickly opened it to see if it had taken any damage. He waited, I opened, he left.
I set up the new player and over the course of the rest of that day I discovered that there was a fault with this new player. It had an intermittant fault that when the player was powered off it would crash before completely shutting off and would remain with the word "OFF" showing on the front panel and it would be frozen there. No controls on the front or on the remote could budge it. The player basically worked so I was able to use it, but the only way to unfreeze it after this power fault was to unplug it from the wall.

The next day I phoned Mike again. He was so apologetic it was amazing and without me even asking he said that he would get another shipped out to me immediately. He told me to keep this player so that I could at least use it in the meantime and he would include a return label in the box. When the new one arrives I was to keep hold of both players until I was sure that the 3rd one was working before dropping the 2nd at FedEx. Again I feel it important to note that they are paying all the shipping costs, both ways.

This is where my tale actually begins to get funny, because when the 3rd player arrived, the FedEx guy was laughing after I told him this was another replacement, but this time it was double boxed. As the box was in good condition I didn't feel the need to open it while he waited. So with FedEx man headed off into the distance I carried the box in, finished what I was doing and then opened it. I nearly died when I saw that inside there was a Toshiba SD5300 "DVD" player. Not my BDX5300 "BluRay". I thought that this just cannot be happening, but, I had a usable player with a fault so I wasn't screaming yet. I called Mike. He was out and Charles took the helm. I brought him up to speed and he was just as helpful as Mike and he also immediately got a replacement sent out. This would be player number 4. He also said he would include a return label for the DVD player, (player number 3), and would make sure it was double boxed.

Yesterday player 4 arrived. Toshiba BDX5300KU, double boxed, in perfect working condition. No damage. No faults. Today I called them and spoke to Mike again and thanked him. We were both relieved that finally I had got fully working player. I said that my schedule was so full the next couple of days that it might be a couple of days before I get a chance to drop faulty player2 and DVD player 3 at FedEx. He told me not to panic about that, they knew they were coming, drop them at FedEx next chance I have.

Now, obviously the conversations above were paraphrased but the point comes across loud as a 4 foot bell in a shower room. Yes, these guys are expensive, but I have never, and will probably never again, experience customer service like this. I have been totally blown away. I don't know how much they spent on shipping, (4 players to me and 3 players back to them), but they couldn't have much profit left. they made it quite clear that they believe in keeping the customer happy. I said that I believe in telling others about great customer service, hence this is why I was searching for a review site and why I typed this.
My only advise to anyone thinking of buying from them is to call them to place your order and don't place it online. That way you can specifically ask for it to be double boxed for safe transit.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #33

Sep 2011
California, USA

Quite a story, Chas; glad it all worked out in the end!

I forgot about the player being shipped in that plastic bag. I wonder how often they have similar problems.

Thanks for posting and welcome to the site!
Old 12-13-2012, 04:54 AM   #34

Dec 2012
Nashville, TN

I actually said something similar to Charles regarding shipping packing. He said that they rarely have issues. I guess if it's working in the main they don't need to change but I was a courier for several years in West London. I know how these bags get thrown about. I mean, boxes get thrown about but at least they have some packing materials to offer some protection.

That being said The service was amazing and they never questioned or doubted what I was saying and always were on the case to get me a perfect working model.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #35
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Hi all,

So I've stumbled onto this thread in my searching, and I have a few concerns.

I recently bought an Oppo BDP-103 from world-import.com (here) and had a very sticky situation with them. I had previously bought players from them with zero issues, but the Oppo's region-free functionality stopped working after I updated the units firmware days after my purchase. Long story short, the CS was terrible, and they eventually stopped answering my e-mails. I had to open a dispute with PayPal, send the player back, and now I'll hopefully get the money back from PayPal.

I really do want this player, but my issue is that 220-electronics looks an awful lot like the world-import web site. A third option, Bombay Electronics, looks slightly different, BUT:

All three web sites have physical stores in Illinois, and all of them are within about 15 miles of each other, so I'm really concerned that one or more of these vendors are actually the same people.

Bombay has the best price on the player by a large margin, where after 5% off, it's only $584.25 shipped. 220 has it for $630.45 shipped, but I e-mailed them to see if they would price match (EDIT: They say they will, but they don't specify the shipped price or the item price).

Last edited by McCrutchy; 01-26-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:24 AM   #36
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
Hi all,

So I've stumbled onto this thread in my searching, and I have a few concerns.

[Show spoiler]
I recently bought an Oppo BDP-103 from world-import.com (here) and had a very sticky situation with them. I had previously bought players from them with zero issues, but the Oppo's region-free functionality stopped working after I updated the units firmware days after my purchase. Long story short, the CS was terrible, and they eventually stopped answering my e-mails. I had to open a dispute with PayPal, send the player back, and now I'll hopefully get the money back from PayPal.

I really do want this player, but my issue is that 220-electronics looks an awful lot like the world-import web site. A third option, Bombay Electronics, looks slightly different, BUT:

All three web sites have physical stores in Illinois, and all of them are within about 15 miles of each other, so I'm really concerned that one or more of these vendors are actually the same people.

Bombay has the best price on the player by a large margin, where after 5% off, it's only $584.25 shipped. 220 has it for $630.45 shipped, but I e-mailed them to see if they would price match (EDIT: They say they will, but they don't specify the shipped price or the item price).
Just curious why you don't order the player from Amazon.com and the standard region free mod from bluraychip.dk and install it yourself. It's extremely easy to install and roughly the same as Bombay's cost?

I have their standard mod for my 83 and never had a single issue with it. Still need to order one for my 103.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:49 AM   #37
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodolak View Post
Just curious why you don't order the player from Amazon.com and the standard region free mod from bluraychip.dk and install it yourself. It's extremely easy to install and roughly the same as Bombay's cost?

I have their standard mod for my 83 and never had a single issue with it. Still need to order one for my 103.
Yes, I know about them. Unfortunately, I have certain physical limitations that largely prevent me from attempting to mod the player myself. And I am the only home-theater-literate person in my family and circle of friends.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #38

Sep 2011
California, USA

Quote:
Yes, I know about them. Unfortunately, I have certain physical limitations that largely prevent me from attempting to mod the player myself. And I am the only home-theater-literate person in my family and circle of friends.
My BDP-93 is using the external installation of a kit that can also be installed internally. The external mod consisted of plugging it in to the serial port and a USB port on the back panel. Does the 103 not have that option too? My kit was acquired via eBay.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #39
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. If I was close enough (i.e. same city) I would have offered to install it for you. Anyway, another member purchased a region free player from 220 Electronics and once he got it he noticed it lost it's region selection when the player was powered off. He contacted 220 Electronics and was told that all of their players operate this way. Don't know if this would be an issue for you but here is his post:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...&postcount=753

Quote:
Originally Posted by hootowls View Post
My BDP-93 is using the external installation of a kit that can also be installed internally. The external mod consisted of plugging it in to the serial port and a USB port on the back panel. Does the 103 not have that option too? My kit was acquired via eBay.
I haven't seen that type of mod surface yet for the 103. It's possible that the 93 mod will work in the 103 but I'd recommend trying to find someone who has both players and the mod to confirm that first.

Last edited by rdodolak; 01-29-2013 at 04:09 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #40

Jan 2013
Default Toshiba BDX 1200 Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hootowls View Post
I've had this player since March and, so far, there hasn't been a need to update the firmware. It's played every disc it's been given.
Hello,

I just ordered the same player from 220 Electronics. Quick question - did you have to use an "unlock code" to switch Blu-Ray regions or does the player do it automatically? (I ordered the one with A,B, and C regions)

Thanks in an advance. First post from a new user.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders