Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Westworld: Season Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Westworld: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The White Princess (Blu-ray)
$7.99
23 hrs ago
Princess Principal: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
22 hrs ago
Triple Threat (Blu-ray)
$22.27
6 hrs ago
Frame Arms Girl: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Underworld: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.09

If Beale Street Could Talk (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot (Blu-ray)
$15.41

A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Kimagure Orange Road (Blu-ray)
$63.68

Star Wars Rebels: Complete Season Four (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 10-09-2018, 05:27 AM   #4161

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
It depends of what you'll be using it for.
If it's mainly for Blu-ray and DVD, there are $40 players out there...brand new.
mmm yes well but no with the Oppo quality, also reads SACD.
I bet better image and audio quality than the $40 players.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:15 AM   #4162
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

If you have a bunch of SACDs then it becomes more specific.
But then you have a bunch of Sony players out there which can play those discs.
...And for less money too and with the latest and best picture quality. ...Brand new players.

The Sony X800 is nicely built (8 pounds), plays SACDs, plays 4K, offers image and audio quality as good as the Oppo 103 (digital outputs), and when on sale is $200 (couple times it was $150). ...Brand new.

If you have a guarantee that the Oppo 103 is in very good working condition, no glitches, you won't upgrade to 4K anytime soon, you like streaming, you have a fair bunch of SACDs, you want good BR and DVD picture, good sound, ...it's a nice player. It's an old player too, but still a good player, all Oppo players are good.

Will it have a better picture quality than most other players? I doubt it.
Better build quality, yes. It weights ten pounds or so.
Most players are made of plastic and they weight three times less on average.

Try $200 for offer. For $250 the 103D. But that's just me.

Last edited by LordoftheRings; 10-09-2018 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:21 AM   #4163

Jul 2015

Quote:
If you have a bunch of SACDs then it becomes more specific.
But then you have a bunch of Sony players out there which can play those discs.
...And for less money too and with the latest and best picture quality. ...Brand new players.

The Sony X800 is nicely built (8 pounds), plays SACDs, plays 4K, offers image and audio quality as good as the Oppo 103 (digital outputs), and when on sale is $200 (couple times it was $150). ...Brand new.

If you have a guarantee that the Oppo 103 is in very good working condition, no glitches, you won't upgrade to 4K anytime soon, you like streaming, you have a fair bunch of SACDs, you want good BR and DVD picture, good sound, ...it's a nice player. It's an old player too, but still a good player, all Oppo players are good.

Will it have a better picture quality than most other players? I doubt it.
Better build quality, yes. It weights ten pounds or so.
Most players are made of plastic and they weight three times less on average.
thanks, actually I was think that about the Sony X800, I mean the Oppo is great but one downside is not play 4K discs, start to being old, the price is nice but I need pay shipping and and some fees for the Sony X800 (I'm not live in USA right now), on the other side the oppo is to 30min drive to my home. Decisions decisions....
Old 10-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #4164
Special Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatafore View Post
help: BDP-103 for $250, worth buy it? even in 2018?
well worth it, the 93 sells for for that much or more, but the 93 is cinavia free which attracts many buyers
i have even seen the 80 and 83 go for that price.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #4165
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2007
Way Out West
-
-

Quote:
mmm yes well but no with the Oppo quality, also reads SACD.
I bet better image and audio quality than the $40 players.
Dunno about the Sony being discussed, but you can easily (and fairly cheaply) make the 103 region free also, if it's not been mod-ed already. And play any dvd-audio discs you may run across. Things I liked to do with mine. (That and it was really good with PAL content also.)
Thanks given by:
ghornett (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 03:59 PM   #4166

Oct 2018

Anyone know why Taken 2 BD doesn't play on a 103? Every other BD I have both new and old (1000+ including Taken 3) plays fine, but Taken 2 comes up "Unknown disc" only on my Oppo. Other players play it.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:06 PM   #4167
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishAnarchist View Post
Anyone know why Taken 2 BD doesn't play on a 103? Every other BD I have both new and old (1000+ including Taken 3) plays fine, but Taken 2 comes up "Unknown disc" only on my Oppo. Other players play it.
Erase your persistent memory perhaps. My copy plays fine. You're using BDP10X-83-1226? Does the player use a 3rd party regional mod?
Old 10-09-2018, 06:13 PM   #4168

Oct 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Erase your persistent memory perhaps. My copy plays fine. You're using BDP10X-83-1226? Does the player use a 3rd party regional mod?
Goddamn memory cache garbage. That's what is was.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:14 PM   #4169
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Goddamn memory cache garbage. That's what is was.
Thats one of the first suggestions to address a lot of weird issues, that along with reset to defaults.

Last edited by JohnAV; 10-09-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:30 PM   #4170

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdm View Post
Dunno about the Sony being discussed, but you can easily (and fairly cheaply) make the 103 region free also, if it's not been mod-ed already. And play any dvd-audio discs you may run across. Things I liked to do with mine. (That and it was really good with PAL content also.)
which is the lower price for make the 103 region free? anyway to download some firmware and that is?

also to play .iso from SACDs, is easy?
Old 10-09-2018, 11:51 PM   #4171
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:
thanks, actually I was think that about the Sony X800, I mean the Oppo is great but one downside is not play 4K discs, start to being old, the price is nice but I need pay shipping and and some fees for the Sony X800 (I'm not live in USA right now), on the other side the oppo is to 30min drive to my home. Decisions decisions....
Weight ...

• Oppo 203-> 10.8 lbs (4.9 kg) ... almost 11 pounds.
• Sony X800 -> 8 lb 7 oz (3.8 kg) ... almost 8.5 pounds.

* I see. Then think 4K ... if you can live without it for the next few years, go check out that Oppo 103 nearby. Only you can make that call.

** There are no Sony websites that can accommodate you in your country?
What would it cost you total for ordering the Sony X800?
And, can you wait around Christmas time...it's probably because you don't want to miss that 103 opportunity just 30 minutes drive from your home.

If the Sony X800 would cost you around $250 total, it's a smarter purchase because of the added 4K playback, more future-proof. But if 4K is not in your picture, the Oppo 103 is a very nice universal BR player.

Don't rush it, there are always opportunities. Think carefully of what real uses you want to make of the next player you'll be purchasing.
Thanks given by:
spatafore (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 12:01 AM   #4172
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

The 103 nearby which region is it? You said you don't live in the USA.

That's a good point other members mentioned about making it region-free very easily by purchasing a small kit easy to install. It depends of where you buy your BR movies usually.

* The region-free kit for the Oppo 103 is roughly between $50 and $100 depending of where you order from, shipping, etc. You'll pay less on eBay deals of course.
Thanks given by:
spatafore (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 12:18 AM   #4173
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2007
Way Out West
-
-

Quote:
which is the lower price for make the 103 region free? anyway to download some firmware and that is?

also to play .iso from SACDs, is easy?
There is a free download called SuperDisc to make the Oppos region free for dvds, you'll have to burn it to a CD first though. According to the Unofficial OPPO UDP-203 Frequently Asked Questions, it still works with the 203s, and worked well with previous Oppo blu-ray players.

For region free blu-ray playback, a hardware modification kit is still needed. There was a fairly recent post here that included the ebay link.
Thanks given by:
spatafore (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 02:43 AM   #4174

Jul 2015

Quote:
Weight ...

• Oppo 203-> 10.8 lbs (4.9 kg) ... almost 11 pounds.
• Sony X800 -> 8 lb 7 oz (3.8 kg) ... almost 8.5 pounds.

* I see. Then think 4K ... if you can live without it for the next few years, go check out that Oppo 103 nearby. Only you can make that call.

** There are no Sony websites that can accommodate you in your country?
What would it cost you total for ordering the Sony X800?
And, can you wait around Christmas time...it's probably because you don't want to miss that 103 opportunity just 30 minutes drive from your home.

If the Sony X800 would cost you around $250 total, it's a smarter purchase because of the added 4K playback, more future-proof. But if 4K is not in your picture, the Oppo 103 is a very nice universal BR player.

Don't rush it, there are always opportunities. Think carefully of what real uses you want to make of the next player you'll be purchasing.
thanks Bob, good advice!

usually I buy everything from USA, I mean I can buy in any online store in USA (ebay, amazon, zavvi, any online store!!! even amazon uk.) and later send to my country, is easy, the downside is I need pay fees to import, for a Sony X800, maybe I need pay mmm around $70. Sometimes is less money importing than the prices here.

I start buying movies since a ayer ago, I collect Criterions, Indicator, Arrow, Scream F. so many are region B, like arrow UK, Indicators etc.

I collect more music than movies, audiophile stuff, gold cds, some sacds, I have around 250 .ISO sacds, etc. but the true I don't expect a huge sonics on the this Oppo, I mean there's more dedicated audio players for cds that I bet brings better sound.

The only downside that seller told me is, he said that he buy it in ebay used 3 years ago, but he not used very much, due he have another OPPO 93, but yes is double used, 2 owners so mmm in some way sounds risky.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:58 AM   #4175
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2012
Denmark

Quote:
This happened to me with the French release of South Korean movie Running Wild the other day. I'd never seen that message before, but I just tried again, and it worked fine.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:22 AM   #4176
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Do your research, check .ISO files from DSD played by the Oppo 103 and Sony 800 players. The Oppo 103 has a DAC, so it can play from its analog output, the Sony 800 does not. But if you are using the digital HDMI output it don't matter anymore.

The Oppo 103 is a more solid player, a more solid transport, a smoother operator and with full front display. The Sony 800 has no front display and its transport is not as smooth and solid. The Oppo 103 has two HDMI outs and two HDMI ins, three USB ports, it is packed with features, and, it plays and decodes HDCDs, if you have any of those.
But the Sony gets the job done too where it counts.

If I was in your position, the main thing would be the 4K aspect.
If I wouldn't care about 4K I would check the Oppo 103 to make sure it works without any glitches, and I would want a certain guarantee, like 14 days, in case I wasn't happy, to return it with full money back.
But if there is no issue with it; transport, reading all discs, etc., I know that you're going to like it.

Yes, you never know what a used player might bring, and if you can't have a minimum guarantee, it's a risk you take. So you better make sure it works fine first.

Later on you can always buy another one with 4K Blu-ray playback, just for 4K when you're ready.
That, is inexpensive now.

I own both, the 103 and 800, I like them both, the Sony was three times cheaper for me in my country.
But my favorite is my 205, which was nine times more costlier than my 800.
All my players were brand new with full warranties. I own a dozen more universal players, all bought brand new.

Best lock-on.

Last edited by LordoftheRings; 10-10-2018 at 03:33 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:42 AM   #4177
Special Member

Apr 2011
The Gulf

Using an OPPO 103 connected to TV, no receiver, no soundbar, just OPPO-HDMI-TV (Sony Bravia KDL52W4100)
probably a dumb question, but hopefully its nothing.
I just had a movie (Exorcist the beginning) stagger at the beginning. Im pretty familiar with the film and didn't remember it doing that, so I hit the back button and started the chapter over. Worked fine. I know there is no definitive answer without looking at my hardware. Was it a glitch or fluke or signs of trouble ahead?

Another non issue is when starting a disc, say WB, the WB crest over blue skies logo pops up before anything, the audio picks up just a hair late, so you miss the very beginning audio, visually, its fine. No big deal, its not the movie, just logo, advertisement, or preview. Normal? TV, HDMI Cable, OPPO103, setting?
Old 11-01-2018, 06:14 AM   #4178
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

It could have been something so simple as a particle of dust.

And yes it's normal what you've said in your 2nd paragraph. Oppo 103.
Thanks given by:
thecalm_7 (11-01-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 01:44 AM   #4179
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

I'm having a problem with my 103 connected to my Yamaha RX-V673 receiver notably in playing SACD's - I have a feeling I somehow reset my audio output in some way that the surrounds sound muted and less dynamic. 4-channel 'quad' releases also seem to be routing the sound to my center speaker for some reason as well - what the heck is going on? For some reason this audio problem isn't happening to the audio output from my LG bluray player connected to same receiver

Last edited by Dubstar; 11-16-2018 at 01:51 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders