Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Fantomas 1960s Collection (Blu-ray)
$33.03
10 hrs ago
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Columbus (Blu-ray)
$24.05
10 hrs ago
Rocky (Blu-ray)
$25.01

Rider on the Rain (Blu-ray)
$19.99
10 hrs ago
Keoma (Blu-ray)
$26.42
10 hrs ago
Terra Formars (Blu-ray)
$26.42
10 hrs ago
The Land Unknown (Blu-ray)
$19.98
10 hrs ago
The Iguana with the Tongue of Fire (Blu-ray)
$26.42
10 hrs ago
2001: A Space Odyssey 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
20 hrs ago
If Beale Street Could Talk (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Emmanuelle 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
5 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International

Old 01-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #21
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
I refuse to support the businesses who take advantage of both sellers and buyers. I prefer to support the studios directly. Like video games, I will have nothing to do with secondhand unless it's a straight trade!!!
Don't all retailers 'take advantage' of both sellers and buyers? Amazon and Best Buy and Target all charge me more than they pay the supplier (well, at least they try to, I'm not sure it always works out that way) and I'm perfectly fine with that.

And I'm not sure why straight trades are any more acceptable. In a straight trade you've got two parties who are refusing to support studios directly. Shouldn't that be twice as objectionable?

Me? I love used BDs. I look at most of them as slightly more expensive rentals that I can watch whenever I get around to it.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #22
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
Don't all retailers 'take advantage' of both sellers and buyers? Amazon and Best Buy and Target all charge me more than they pay the supplier (well, at least they try to, I'm not sure it always works out that way) and I'm perfectly fine with that.

And I'm not sure why straight trades are any more acceptable. In a straight trade you've got two parties who are refusing to support studios directly. Shouldn't that be twice as objectionable?

Me? I love used BDs. I look at most of them as slightly more expensive rentals that I can watch whenever I get around to it.
Retail stores make a few dollars, yes. Seconhand pawn shops pay $3-$5 and try selling for $15+ and that is unacceptable mark-ups. Besides, I'd rather pay a legitimate middleman who gets their item directly from the original supplier.

Trades often have two people partaking in a transaction that they both agree is equal in value to each. Nobody can be taken advantage of.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #23

Sep 2012
Clacton , Essex

I have bought quite a few myself and never had any problems with them.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #24

Jun 2012

i like to browse 2nd hand places, in UK we have CEX which i think is awesome, but often 2nd hand is the same or more then new.
i have brought 2nd hand for films that i enjoy but thought were ok priced - usually 5 is my 2nd hand limit, con air, speed and the 2nd POTC from ebay. anything more then 5 and ill wait for the new price to drop.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #25
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3rm3y View Post
i like to browse 2nd hand places, in UK we have CEX which i think is awesome, but often 2nd hand is the same or more then new.
i have brought 2nd hand for films that i enjoy but thought were ok priced - usually 5 is my 2nd hand limit, con air, speed and the 2nd POTC from ebay. anything more then 5 and ill wait for the new price to drop.
CEX is the greatest video store ever!
Old 01-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #26

Nov 2011
Lajes Field, Azores

I used to buy used blu-rays on ebay, etc. I didnt care about packaging (exception: no "Blockbuster" rental sized DVD case) or anything as long as the disc was like new. But now I just watch movies I already own and wait until the new copy of one I want is so cheap on amazon that the second hand price is roughly comparable.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:42 AM   #27
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
I refuse to support the businesses who take advantage of both sellers and buyers. I prefer to support the studios directly. Like video games, I will have nothing to do with secondhand unless it's a straight trade!!!
Well you're missing out on a lot of great deals. 75% of my blu-ray collection, I've bought used, and they were all in mint condition. I've saved hundreds of dollars. Why not support your local used media stores? The studios are already filthy rich, multi-billionaires. They don't need your money... How would you feel if you opened a new restaurant, serving your scrumptious secret recipe dishes that no other restaurant feature on their menu, and your friends, family, and the public chose to patronize another large chain restaurant, who is already well established? It will hurt you emotionally, and financially.

Last edited by slimdude; 01-26-2013 at 05:55 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #28

Dec 2008
Portugal
-

I don't like the idea of buying 2nd hand movies, but if they are in mint conditions at a decent price i wont think twice.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #29
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
Well you're missing out on a lot of great deals. 75% of my blu-ray collection, I've bought used, and they were all in mint condition. I've saved hundreds of dollars. Why not support your local used media stores? The studios are already filthy rich, multi-billionaires. They don't need your money... How would you feel if you opened a new restaurant, serving your scrumptious secret recipe dishes that no other restaurant feature on their menu, and your friends, family, and the public chose to patronize another large chain restaurant, who is already well established? It will hurt you emotionally, and financially.
Obviously, you missed my point. I don't care how much money the studios already have. They put the work into the artistic endeavour which I am enjoying. Therefore, THEY deserve the reward for creating such an experience.

It's not about how much money they have. It's about giving money to those responsible for the entertainment.

Let me turn your analogy around on you. If you spent 3 to 5 years on a project, would you let millions of people give their money to someone else for the enjoyment of the fruits of said project when that someone else didn't spend any time and only a fractional portion of money on it compared to yourself? I do my best to reward those who are originally responsible for what I buy. I don't believe in the "me me me me me" mentality that has gripped the planet.

Ultimately, if the product is good, it will merit attention. And, to me, most secondhand/pawn shops are simply preying on the desperate in order to capitalize anyhow. They get people who desperately need money come through their doors and take whatever is given them. These shops look to give a ridiculously small fraction of what they can resell items for. It's really sickening to me. I don't care what can be said in rebuttal, but that is not a morally or spiritually viable business model for any healthy community.

You have the notion of restaurants completely flipped around! I love going to non-franchise eateries since they are often the only ones using fresh local ingredients whereas large chains use frozen ingredients shipped for days in cargo crates. Again, I support them because they are responsible for creating an original fresh food experience, so they get my money even though it is more expensive to eat at non-franchise eateries. By your own analogy, I should save 75% off of my food by going to franchise restaurants and be happy about that. But... alas... we digress...

Last edited by Petra_Kalbrain; 01-26-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #30

Apr 2010
central new york

I don't mind 2nd hand blu's. As long as the case and art work are in good shape & the disc is in mint condition, than why not? If you can save $ and get a perfectly fine movie, whats not to love?
Old 01-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #31
Blu-ray Champion

May 2010
Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
CEX is the greatest video store ever!
That's debatable. CEX being a second hand store don't have what you're looking for most of the time, however their prices are cheap and they thoroughly test the equipment before they purchase it from the customer.

About 1/4 of my Blu-rays have been bought from CEX and I have never had any problems with them. All of them play fine. Also, when you buy in-store from CEX and other stores such as the soon to be gone HMV, it's handier searching for a Blu-ray that comes with a slip, unlike purchasing from the internet not knowing if it will come with the slip or not.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #32
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
I do my best to reward those who are originally responsible for what I buy. I don't believe in the "me me me me me" mentality that has gripped the planet.
I asked earlier about trading and you said trading was okay because neither party was taking advantage of the other. But you never addressed the fact that neither you nor your trading partner was rewarding those originally responsible for what you were buying.

Why is "me me me me me me" okay if two people are saying it instead of one?

Quote:
And, to me, most secondhand/pawn shops are simply preying on the desperate in order to capitalize anyhow. They get people who desperately need money come through their doors and take whatever is given them.
You figure 'the desperate' are swimming in excess Blu-rays, do you? That GoHastings gets most of its second-hand discs by preying on single moms trying to scrape together a little extra baby formula money?

I wish one of them would get desperate enough to unload her copy of The Sopranos Season Six Part Two. I've been waiting forever for that to come back in stock.

Quote:
I don't care what can be said in rebuttal, but that is not a morally or spiritually viable business model for any healthy community.
Just to be clear, which of the following operate in this supposed moral and spiritual vaccuum...

Ebay sellers?
Amazon dealers/resellers?
Amazon Warehouse?
GoHastings?
Thrift Stores (including, say, The Salvation Army)?
The Blu-ray.com trading forum?
Craigslist ads?
Old 01-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #33
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
I asked earlier about trading and you said trading was okay because neither party was taking advantage of the other. But you never addressed the fact that neither you nor your trading partner was rewarding those originally responsible for what you were buying.
Trading is something that I rarely do to be honest. So, it's still something I don't consider completely kosher. I've only done trades a few times (as can be seen via my iTrader score). Even that reflects some purchases I had to make from users due to unavailability from retail locations... but they were factory sealed, so I'm the only person to have enjoyed them. The studios received their sale and I'm the sole benefactor of the experience provided.

Quote:
Why is "me me me me me me" okay if two people are saying it instead of one?
Is it "me me me me me me" in that case though? It's more of a mutually agreed upon "us" is it not? Neertheless, I rarely do trades, so I rarely think about it. But I know it will be present in my mind should I ever be approached with a "used content" trade in the future.

Quote:
You figure 'the desperate' are swimming in excess Blu-rays, do you? That GoHastings gets most of its second-hand discs by preying on single moms trying to scrape together a little extra baby formula money?
Well, if they do have them lying around and are desperate to get formula for their child, shouldn't these crack-brain pawnshops be offering more sizea le returns? Say $10 for something they can resell for $13 or $14 instead of the $3 or $4 they do offer? (Canadian values)

Quote:
I wish one of them would get desperate enough to unload her copy of The Sopranos Season Six Part Two. I've been waiting forever for that to come back in stock.
No desire to purchase it new I take it?

Quote:
Just to be clear, which of the following operate in this supposed moral and spiritual vaccuum...

Ebay sellers?
Amazon dealers/resellers?
Amazon Warehouse?
GoHastings?
Thrift Stores (including, say, The Salvation Army)?
The Blu-ray.com trading forum?
Craigslist ads?
As long as the item is factory sealed, then the proper people received their proper reward for the item. If it's sold as used or marked up beyond reasonable capitalist gains, it's unnacceptable. It has nothing to do with location of sale but more to do with the nature of the sale.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #34
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Obviously, you missed my point. I don't care how much money the studios already have. They put the work into the artistic endeavour which I am enjoying. Therefore, THEY deserve the reward for creating such an experience.
The studios are doing what they're suppose to do, and that is to make movies. That's what they are in business for! Movie studios doesn't need to be rewarded by you, or any other consumer. They're already being rewarded themselves, by earning a hefty salary. That's their reward! So basically what you're saying is that, you would rather give and support the rich, instead of supporting and help people who're less fortunate or poor because, that's what's you are implying.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #35
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
The studios are doing what they're suppose to do, and that is to make movies. That's what they are in business for! Movie studios doesn't need to be rewarded by you, or any other consumer. They're already being rewarded themselves, by earning a hefty salary. That's their reward! So basically what you're saying is that, you would rather give and support the rich, instead of supporting and help people who're less fortunate or poor because, that's what's you are implying.
Ummmmmmm.... how exactly do you think actors and directors and grips and costume staff and make-up staff and set designers and everyone else on a production get paid?

This is by far one of the stupidest things that I've read on these forums!

You are saying that everything coming out of Hollywood should just be given to the public for free? Ya. Let's see how long it will take for us to no longer have a film hobby to speak of.

Out of curiosity... if your employer suddenly offered its services for free, how long do you think it would take before they weren't able to pay its workforce anymore? Would you keep doing the job without income?

Last edited by Petra_Kalbrain; 01-26-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #36
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
This is by far one of the stupidest things that I've read on these forums!
Well I must've hit the nail right on the head because typically, this is their first reply. People have an tendency to rebuttal solely out of pride, than to accept the fact that they're wrong. You said it, I didn't. I just call a spade a spade!
Old 01-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #37
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Well I must've hit the nail right on the head because typically, people have an tendency to rebuttal solely out of pride, than to accept the fact that they're wrong. You said it, I didn't... I just call a spade a spade!
Wait... so you just pick one sentence and try to spin the topic based on that? How am I wrong in saying that Hollywood is IN BUSINESS to make money?

I'm seriously curious how you expect Hollywood could function without box office/media/merchandising revenue. That is, in fact, what you are trying to say. Thousands of people can only work for so long without compensation before the company goes bankrupt and a riot occurs.

How is it that Hollywood is in business to not make money? Since that is what you said above, I really want to hear your theory.

Last edited by Petra_Kalbrain; 01-26-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #38
Special Member

Dec 2009
the Dutch Mountains

Quote:
Just curious; have you ever bought a new car, driven it for a few years and then sold it to the dealer when you were going to buy another new car?
Old 01-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #39
Special Member

Aug 2011
Edinburgh, Scotland

I have only bought 2 pre-owned blu rays and both had problems with the disc skipping parts of the film. However, I buy used DVDs all the time and never had a problem with them
Old 01-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #40
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisei View Post
Just curious; have you ever bought a new car, driven it for a few years and then sold it to the dealer when you were going to buy another new car?
Nope. But selling that car back to the same dealer that you bought it from, as you described, sounds like the right idea to me.

FYI, I've never owned a car. Therefore have never had need to sell one.

Sounds like an answer though. Sell the discs back to the studio so they can clean up the disc, reseal it, and relist it at full price.

Last edited by Petra_Kalbrain; 01-26-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Thanks given by:
TaxiTodd (03-05-2016)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International