Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Westworld: Season Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Westworld: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Emmanuelle 3 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
14 hrs ago
Steven Seagal 4-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$8.99
19 hrs ago
Princess Principal: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Frame Arms Girl: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$15.99

A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Triple Threat (Blu-ray)
$22.27
21 hrs ago
The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

If Beale Street Could Talk (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Happy Death Day 2U (Blu-ray)
$23.78
11 hrs ago
The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot (Blu-ray)
$15.41

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 10-31-2017, 04:08 PM   #21

Dec 2012
Rochester, NY

If you're going to spend big bucks, maybe one of the 220 region frees might be worth considering.

It looks like the LG BP450 is the one you want if you want an LG UK player with 3D:
http://www.lg.com/uk/blu-ray-dvd-players/lg-BP450
I noticed that it (along with others, like the BP250 that I have) also specific lists NTSC<-->PAL conversion as a feature. It's not sold by Amazon themselves but they do have marketplace sellers. Usually Amazon UK prices actually end up being cheaper as they normally show VAT, which we don't have to pay; I'm not sure if that's still true with marketplace sellers.

You may want to try a few of the LG models to see which you can get easiest. I might even consider a used/refurb if the price is right - if it does break, chances are you're not going to ship it back anyway. There's a eBay seller in Germany currently selling refurb BP450s for $62 + shipping, however much that is.

(To Amazon's credit, they told me in chat that they would pay full return shipping on my player when I first thought it was bad - which was going to cost nearly $50! The high cost of shipping made me look at other options which eventually led to the realization that all I needed was the cheap plug adapter.)
Old 10-31-2017, 04:12 PM   #22

Dec 2012
Rochester, NY

Also, if buying another, you'll want to (if possible) make sure that the power cord works from 100-240V, I think that's pretty standard but I don't have enough experience to guarantee it. As long as it does that, you just need the plug converter. If it's 240V only, you'd need a voltage changer, which is expensive and skews the economics of the whole plan. It should say right on the plug in the fine print; you'll see it on all plugs. (Well, the "brick" part of the plug.)
Old 10-31-2017, 04:46 PM   #23

Dec 2012
Rochester, NY

OK, thanks for the clarification. That makes sense.

I could swear that when I first got it, there was an extra on the Arrow Day of the Dead that wouldn't play because it was PAL but I couldn't get any of them to not play on my PS3 when testing recently. Maybe it was a City of the Living Dead extra... I'll have to poke around more; I'd like to find something that's definitely encoded at HD 50hz to see if it plays right. Given that the player is converting PAL DVDs to NTSC just fine, I'm assuming it'll play, but I'd like to know for sure.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:35 PM   #24
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchoDis View Post
If you're going to spend big bucks, maybe one of the 220 region frees might be worth considering.

It looks like the LG BP450 is the one you want if you want an LG UK player with 3D:
http://www.lg.com/uk/blu-ray-dvd-players/lg-BP450
I noticed that it (along with others, like the BP250 that I have) also specific lists NTSC<-->PAL conversion as a feature. It's not sold by Amazon themselves but they do have marketplace sellers. Usually Amazon UK prices actually end up being cheaper as they normally show VAT, which we don't have to pay; I'm not sure if that's still true with marketplace sellers.

You may want to try a few of the LG models to see which you can get easiest. I might even consider a used/refurb if the price is right - if it does break, chances are you're not going to ship it back anyway. There's a eBay seller in Germany currently selling refurb BP450s for $62 + shipping, however much that is.

(To Amazon's credit, they told me in chat that they would pay full return shipping on my player when I first thought it was bad - which was going to cost nearly $50! The high cost of shipping made me look at other options which eventually led to the realization that all I needed was the cheap plug adapter.)
Actually, the LG BP450 is discontinued, and Amazon.uk doesn't sell it (not directly from them or a seller that ships to the US). They do list the BP566 which if you follow the link in your first post to the 2D player, then click the 3D model at the top, that's the BP566. But they don't carry that model direct from Amazon either, and no 3rd party seller ships to the US.

I can't seem to find any LG 3D models actually available from Amazon.uk that can ship to the US. And like I said before, I'd rather not buy an old discontinued model unless it's a better model than newer ones. I honestly hate the newer players too, since they don't even have front displays any more.

I considered 220electronics but honestly I like your idea better of buying a true region B player that I don't have to fuss over. Unfortunately it seems Amazon.uk isn't being much help for a 3D LG model.

The only other option is just buying that Sony X800 UHD player since that's available direct from Amazon.uk. That lists worldwide voltage, and built-in PAL/NTSC conversion (another member confirmed it comes set to auto out of the box and outputs 2160p@60 Hz). I forgot about the vat charges, so the price drops quite a bit when vat is removed. With vat removed, the UHD player is $326.56 US. Still much higher than the $199 for the US version, but that includes hassle-free region B and PAL conversion playback too. If I bought the US version plus a separate LG 3D player I'd pay that much anyways. And the X800 is said to be a solid player. The price of that UHD player on 220electgronics is a whopping $449! Buying it from the UK is a deal in comparison, and includes region B playback built-in without hassle.

So as I get close to Black Friday that might be wheat I go with.

Last edited by mar3o; 10-31-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:57 PM   #25

Dec 2012
Rochester, NY

Well, good luck, let us know how it goes!

The only other potential concern with importing one is if you care about "smart" features, if they would work - ie, an Amazon streaming app on the player might only work with Amazon UK's streaming service. Then again, that may not be the end of the world if you have some UK digital codes, especially since we appear to be back in a situation where the UK ones can't be "laundered" into US ones anymore.

But chances are, if you're using streaming services, you already have some other setup.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:30 PM   #26

Apr 2009

I've been following this thread because I want Valerian in 3D (as well as 4K) and while I would prefer not to have to buy a new player (I'm really hoping the 3D is region free) I will if needed.

This thread has been very useful for my backup plan!
Old 11-01-2017, 07:49 PM   #27
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchoDis View Post
Well, good luck, let us know how it goes!

The only other potential concern with importing one is if you care about "smart" features, if they would work - ie, an Amazon streaming app on the player might only work with Amazon UK's streaming service. Then again, that may not be the end of the world if you have some UK digital codes, especially since we appear to be back in a situation where the UK ones can't be "laundered" into US ones anymore.

But chances are, if you're using streaming services, you already have some other setup.
Thanks. I access all my smart features through my LG TV directly, so I won't be needing the online features of the UHD player.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:16 PM   #28
Power Member

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
Most hardware modded players can play 50Hz/PAL stuff just fine. So long as the seller explicitly states it. However, do not get the Sony S6500, its has some built in filtering at 1080P that ruins Blu-rays, and DVD playback is atrocious. DNR city. Check this thread: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=298106 That LG BP550 would be great though!

Also, be very careful when applying firmware updates. I had bought a hardware modded Samsung J-5100 player, and a firmware update broke the region mod. Which prompted me to get that modded S6500, which I regret. Bottom line, if it works, dont bother with a firmware update.
I have the S6500 and to be honest I don't see any atrocity with the picture on bluray or DVD playback, and yes I have other players to compare.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #29

Apr 2013
City On The Edge Of Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLMN View Post
I have the S6500 and to be honest I don't see any atrocity with the picture on bluray or DVD playback, and yes I have other players to compare.
Blu-ray playback is nowhere near as bad as DVD. DVD playback has what really looks like DNR slathered all over it. Maybe the ICOS mod ruined DVD playability? Happens to NTSC and PAL DVDs equally. I'll try to get some comparison pictures.

Edit: Here is a link to my post with the screen shot comparison. I put it in that thread so we dont side track this one.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=13

Last edited by Vanguard; 11-02-2017 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Add link
Old 11-02-2017, 10:13 PM   #30
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

@GrouchoDis,

I just disovered my idea of importing the UK X800 UHD player from Amazon won't work out, as it doesn't convert 50Hz to 60Hz. It plays 50Hz but sends out only as 50Hz. It does send out a 60Hz menu, and can send out NTSC as 60Hz, but it won't convert PAL to 60Hz. So that option is out.

Does your UK LG player actually convert 50Hz content to 60Hz? Do any LGs do that out of the box? I need a 3D region B player that can convert 50Hz content (like region B extras) to 60Hz output for US TVs. I'm really trying to avoid 220electronics if can help it, since I'd feel better knowing I've got a real region B player that will play all region B discs and I can update without worry, but it seems Amazon.uk doesn't sell any 3D LG players now (Only 3rd party sellers that won't ship to the US).

If I have to, I guess I can import a modded player from 220, since it's unlikely I'd need a firmware update, since blu-ray players rarely get updates these days it seems. My region A Panasonic has never received an update since i bought it last January.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:12 AM   #31

Dec 2012
Rochester, NY

Well, it must, as I'm showing PAL DVDs just fine, which requires a 50hz to 60hz conversion, and the manual does mention PAL <--> NTSC conversion. Unless my TV can accept 50hz, but I doubt it, it's a Sony 3D from 2-3 years ago. I'll have to double-check if there's a way for the TV to show exactly which refresh rate it's running at.

Honestly, I would wait to see if Valerian is actually region-locked or not - if not, then you might be able to get by without needing that feature. (And why the hell are there still bluray players in 2017 that can't read 3D? That should have been a standard feature on all of 'em years ago! But that's another rant.) You can also do without 3D and have a small PC or laptop with a bluray drive (maybe a USB one for a laptop) and set that to region B, that will be able to show 3D with any modern bluray playback software. A bit clunkier than a dedicated player but probably OK for the rare region B 3D disc.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:50 PM   #32
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

It's 99% likely Valerian will be region-locked, as will Terminator II 3D. And I think as time goes on, more region-locked 3D titles will be hitting the UK that won't be available in the US. I've had to import several big 3D films now from the UK recently that got no US release.

As far as blu-ray players supporting 3D, instead of seeing more players offering 3D, we're seeing less. Samsung is dropping 3D support from their next UHD player next year. Hopefully others don't follow suit.

There's no way I would rely on my PC as a proper disc player. It's just a poor substitute for a real disc player. My HDD is noisy and Windows is always doing something to access the disc, whether checking for an update for something or just general housekeeping or chattering. I usually shut it down when I watch movies because it's just distracting.

If your manual actually mentions PAL conversion, then I guess it must be built-in. That's pretty rare for a retail player these days. If only the Sony X800 UHD player did that, that would be the solution I need. Frustrating.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:26 PM   #33

Dec 2012
Rochester, NY

Well, of course there's barely a printed manual, but the online manual mentioned supporting PAL/NTSC but doesn't specifically mention conversion.
http://www.lg.com/uk/support/support-product/lg-BP250

The product info page does mention it: http://www.lg.com/uk/blu-ray-dvd-players/lg-BP250
"NTSC⇔PAL Conversion: Yes"

Now, I wouldn't put it past a company to fudge a little on their product page but it definitely seems to be working for me. Curiously, their BP556 played has no mention of PAL-NTSC conversion on their product page, but who knows. It appears to be the same physical case.

As for the computer, I think you're being a little pessimistic - an SSD drive will cure the HDD noise problems (and make it a lot more pleasant to use) and is fast enough that you won't care what Windows is up to. This is a hugely worthwhile upgrade no matter what PC you're using but that's a whole different discussion. The PC solution is a bit clunky (and certainly not the cheapest if you don't have an extra PC laying around, which I have a ton of so it's easy) but should work perfectly well.

Much as I love T2, I don't care about it in 3D - I'm not interested in conversions - and there are so few 3D releases any more that I still can't believe that region free 3D is going to be a major need in the future. Who knows though... I've imported ten UK 3D blurays so far and they're all been region-free, even the one non-Disney disc!
Old 11-03-2017, 09:26 PM   #34
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

I'm sure an SSD drive would improve the situation with my PC, but honestly, I just built it last year and I've already spent a lot of money on it. Right now I have home theatre issues I need to address, including a region B player, a UHD player, and at some point down the road, a 4k-compliant A/V receiver, since mine isn't 4k compliant. I'd rather put money into a good solid player that handles discs properly (framerates, black levels, etc) than worry about PC software and my Nvidia driver all getting along and doing it right.

I've had LG give me false info on the specs of my TV last year, so they don't always seem to know what they are talking about (like all companies), but you seem to be able to play PAL okay so in this case I'm thinking your player is handling PAL properly. It would be nice if I could find a 3D region B LG player that would offer conversion that I could get shipped to the US but this seems to be a difficult task.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:05 PM   #35
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

The UK 3D model (BP556) doesn't list the PAL<>NTSC conversion under the specs like the 2D player lists. Unbelievable. I found this in the manual:

"Important Notice for TV color system

The color system of this player differs according to currently playing discs.

For example, when the player plays the disc recorded in the NTSC color system, the image is output as an NTSC signal. Only the multi system color TV can receive all signals output from the player.

If you have a PAL color system TV, you will see just distorted images when using discs or video contents recorded in NTSC.

The multi system color TV changes the color system automatically according to input signals.

In case that the color system is not changed automatically, turn it off and then on to see normal images on screen.

Even if the disc recorded in NTSC color system are well displayed on your TV, these may not be recorded correctly on your recorder

System Select
Open the disc tray using the B (OPEN/CLOSE) button and then, press and hold M (PAUSE) for more than fve seconds to change the color system (PAL / NTSC /AUTO).

Signal system: Standard PAL/NTSC color TV system
"

So it seems the 2D player does PAL<>NTSC conversion, but not the 3D player. Brilliant. I guess it don't matter anyways since I can buy the 2D player but not the 3D form Amazon.

Last edited by mar3o; 11-04-2017 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:45 AM   #36
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Okay, now I'm even more confused. I looked at the manual for the 2D player (BP250), and it says virtually the same stuff:

"Important Notice for TV color system
The color system of this player differs according to currently playing discs.
For example, when the player plays the disc recorded in the NTSC color system, the image is output as an NTSC signal.

Only the multi system color TV can receive all signals output from the player.

If you have a PAL color system TV, you will see just distorted images when using discs or video contents recorded in NTSC.

The multi system color TV changes the color system automatically according to input signals.

In case that the color system is not changed automatically, turn it off and then on to see normal images on screen.

Even if the disc recorded in NTSC color system are well displayed on your TV, these may not be recorded correctly on your recorder.

System Select
Open the disc tray using the B (OPEN/CLOSE) button and then, press and hold M (PAUSE) for more than fve seconds to change the color system (PAL /NTSC /AUTO).

Signal system: Standard PAL/NTSC color TV system"

The wording for both players doesn't actually say it converts PAL to NTSC. In fact it says just the opposite - that it switches output automatically based on content - PAL>PAL, NTSC>NTSC. It specifically says "If you have a PAL color system TV, you will see just distorted images when using discs or video contents recorded in NTSC." I imagine the same holds true for the reverse.

I still wonder if your TV actually does display 50Hz and that's what your player is putting out, not converting it to 60Hz.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:43 AM   #37

Dec 2012
Rochester, NY

OK, I decided to figure this out once and for all! I knew that one of my early Arrow imports had some PAL content and sure enough, it does - the City of the Living Dead disc. It's region free so that makes it easy to test on multiple setups, not just my region B players.

When you play the movie, you get a new intro, 1920x1080i 25hz.
The main movie is the expected 1920x1080p 23.976hz.
The first main extra is "Fulci in the House" - 720x576i 25hz, normal standard-def PAL.
The second is "Carlo of the Living Dead" - 1920x1080i 25hz.
There's a bunch others, but that's enough of a sample to test with. This info was verified by using WinDVD on the PC and looking at the detailed info.

On my Samsung BD-J5100 connected to an older Vizio 47" 120hz player, all the PAL content, standard def or HD, plays at 480P. I assume that's the Samsung doing some basic conversion. I can't see frame rate with the Vizio.

On my PS3 connected to my Sony TV, the PAL content is skipped entirely. The intro is skipped and it plays the movie immediately, and choosing the PAL extras sends it immediately back to the Extras menu.

On my PS4 connected to the Sony TV, the PAL segments play just fine.

On the LG BP250 region B player, the PAL segments play just fine.

The Sony TV does not show framerate (except at 24hz) so I can't say for absolutely 100% sure that it's running at 60hz when showing PAL content, but I'm pretty confident that the LG player is converting 50hz to 60hz. Next step might be to try one of the players connected to the Vizio, or see if my projector shows framerate.

Either way, it does verify for me that with the LG and my TV, PAL content is no problem whatsoever.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:20 PM   #38

Dec 2012
Rochester, NY

For what it's worth, I tried the City of the Living Dead disc with my Panasonic AE-8000U projector.
On my Sony 3D region A player (I don't remember the exact model), it behaved like the PS3 - the PAL content was skipped entirely.
On the LG region B player, the PAL content was played normally.
That's kind of an interesting result, I thought, considering that the projector is capable (according to the specs) of displaying 50hz content. So the US bluray player is refusing to even try to play it. Unfortunately, I don't see a way for the projector to show exactly what format it's receiving, so I don't even know if it's playing the PAL content at 50hz or 60hz.

The final test I could do is to try to connect it to my Vizio but I suspect I'll see the same results. I looked up the specs on my Sony television and it does not list supporting any 50hz inputs:
"Video (2D): 1080p (30, 60 Hz), 1080/24p, 1080i (60 Hz), 720p (30, 60 Hz), 720/24p,
480p, 480i, PC Formats
Video (3D):
Frame Packing 1080p (30 Hz), 1080/24p, 1080i (60 Hz), 720p (30, 60 Hz), 720/24p
Side-by-Side 1080p (60 Hz), 1080/24p, 1080i (60 Hz), 720p (60 Hz)
Over-Under 1080p (30, 60 Hz), 1080/24p, 1080i (60 Hz), 720p (60 Hz)
Audio: 5.1 channel linear PCM: 32, 44.1 and 48 kHz, 16, 20 and 24 bits"
Old 11-08-2017, 10:17 PM   #39
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

This is all very helpful info. Thanks for tackling this. It sounds to me very much like the LG player does in fact convert to 60Hz. Now if only I could find the LG BP556 3D model. Only 2 3rd party sellers have it on Amazon.uk, and neither ships to the US. So frustrating to see the 2D model so readily available and yet it's so difficult to find the 3D model. Is there any other way I could find this 3D player and ship to the US?

Currys.co.uk lists it - do they ship to the US? I can't find anything out about international shipping from them. I don't think they do. They're the only dealer listed on LG's page for this player.

Last edited by mar3o; 11-08-2017 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:09 AM   #40
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Guys, are there really no 3D blu-rays players on Amazon's UK site that output 60Hz and has a power output of 120-240v? My LG TV only displays 60Hz, not 50Hz, so I need a player that is guaranteed to output 60Hz. I thought I found a player - the Panasonic DMP-BDT180EB, and under the specs on the player's Panasonic page, it lists the following:

Video System: PAL/NTSC

However, under power supply specs, it lists:

Power Supply: AC 220-240V, 50Hz

So it won't run in the US. I can't believe it's this difficult to find a player like the OP found, but with 3D. I checked other UK Panasonics and they all seem to be locked to 220-240v.

Is it possible that it indeed does support 120-240v, and it just lists 220-240 under the specs because it's intended to sell in the UK, even though it can support 120v?

If not, would this solve the power problem?:

http://www.220-electronics.com/100-w...converter.html

This would seem to be able to convert the 220v UK power adapter to US 110-120v. So if the player does indeed output 60Hz, all I would need is this power converter, in theory. Am I missing anything?

EDIT: I see a comment in the Amazon.uk reviews that says this:

"After much head scratching and a few naughty words I tracked it down to the player's output being set from the factory to NTSC rather than PAL."

So it sounds like it should be able to play and output NTSC material, correct? Or is it possible it won't play NTSC, and only convert PAL to NTSC? Being in the US of course I need it to not only output NTSC but also play NTSC/60Hz content on blu-ray, like some extras.

Last edited by mar3o; 11-26-2017 at 06:55 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders