Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Westworld: Season Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Westworld: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Underworld: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.09
21 hrs ago
The White Princess (Blu-ray)
$7.99
1 hr ago
The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot (Blu-ray)
$15.41

Gotham: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

If Beale Street Could Talk (Blu-ray)
$19.99

A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Kimagure Orange Road (Blu-ray)
$63.68

Bourne: The Ultimate Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Star Wars Rebels: Complete Season Four (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 11-26-2017, 06:59 AM   #41

Oct 2008
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
Guys, are there really no 3D blu-rays players on Amazon's UK site that output 60Hz and has a power output of 120-240v? My LG TV only displays 60Hz, not 50Hz, so I need a player that is guaranteed to output 60Hz. I thought I found a player - the Panasonic DMP-BDT180EB, and under the specs on the player's Panasonic page, it lists the following:

Video System: PAL/NTSC

However, under power supply specs, it lists:

Power Supply: AC 220-240V, 50Hz

So it won't run in the US. I can't believe it's this difficult to find a player like the OP found, but with 3D. I checked other UK Panasonics and they all seem to be locked to 220-240v.

Is it possible that it indeed does support 120-240v, and it just lists 220-240 under the specs because it's intended to sell in the UK, even though it can support 120v?

If not, would this solve the power problem?:

http://www.220-electronics.com/100-w...converter.html

This would seem to be able to convert the 220v UK power adapter to US 110-120v. So if the player does indeed output 60Hz, all I would need is this power converter, in theory. Am I missing anything?

EDIT: I see a comment in the Amazon.uk reviews that says this:

"After much head scratching and a few naughty words I tracked it down to the player's output being set from the factory to NTSC rather than PAL."

So it sounds like it should be able to play and output NTSC material, correct? Or is it possible it won't play NTSC, and only convert PAL to NTSC? Being in the US of course I need it to not only output NTSC but also play NTSC/60Hz content on blu-ray, like some extras.
I presume you have done your research, I would have thought there would be some player out there with a more flexible power supply.

No reason to worry, the transformer you have linked should perform the job of allowing you to use the player in the US.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:41 AM   #42
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochon View Post
I presume you have done your research, I would have thought there would be some player out there with a more flexible power supply.

No reason to worry, the transformer you have linked should perform the job of allowing you to use the player in the US.
Well, I'm avoiding Samsung due to my poor experiences with their players in the past, so I haven't researched their UK players. The LG 3D player I mentioned earlier in this thread would be fine except that only 3rd party sellers carry it and none ship to the US. The Panasonics all seem to list 220v only. I'm just not sure on the playback abilities of the Panasonic Uk players. They list PAL/NTSC, and in fact seems to ship out of the factory set to NTSC output, which is ideal for me, since my TV will immediately get a signal for the settings menus, but I can only guess if the player will in fact play both PLA and NTSC content. It's a UK player so it may only play PAL content, even though it can output NTSC. My US Panasonic player plays NTSC only, no PAL playback.

If I knew this player would indeed convert PAL>NTSC/1080p@60Hz, I'd go for it.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:50 AM   #43

Oct 2008
-

You can always return it that is if you are willing to lose on postage. I'd said you have a good chance it'll work but is only a guess based on people's general experiences. It seems US market equipment you have to be more careful with in regard of compatibility. Of course I can't guarantee it as manufacturers these days are very unpredictable and don't give always all the info needed to make decisions. So it is a risk only you can decide whether is worth taking or not.
Thanks given by:
mar3o (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 08:20 AM   #44
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

I'm guessing it would probably play PAL and NTSC so I should be all set there. But it would be silly to buy a power converter if the player does indeed support 120v and just doesn't list it. I'd be afraid to just plug it into my AC with a simple plug adapter and see what happens though. Is there any way to tell by looking at the back of the playe rif it supports both 110/120-220/240?

The online manual for the more recent Panasonic players are a joke. They tell you almost nothing. And the specs pages on the manufacturers pages are often incomplete or incorrect.

Last edited by mar3o; 11-26-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:42 AM   #45

Oct 2008
-

Here is 230V if I was to connect a US player that doesn't list 230v as voltage you can be certain I'll blow it for good, the other way around is not such clear cut.. If the UK player doesn't list 120V (find photos of the back) then it doesn't support it.

It may work initially but it may also cause you performance issues that might not be blatantly obvious or other weird issues, it could also end up damaging the motors of the player which would have at least two or possibly three. So if it is not physically marked as 120V then you do need the transformer.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:37 AM   #46

Dec 2012
Rochester, NY

Well, these can be picky. I mentioned in my original post that I got an eBay power supply that claimed to be the 12v 1a required by my LG players, and it would power on and work, but would not spin up the disc all the way - it'd start then you'd get a clunk, then a few retries, and the whole player would freeze and I'd have to pull power to get it back up. The good news is that none of this damaged the players; both are still working perfectly; I recently watched the whole Phantasm box set from Arrow. Point being, who knows what'd happen if the power brick wants 220-240 and you plug it into 120. (I'm sure an electrician can, but that's not me!)

I'm eager to hear what comes out of this discussion; I'd like to know what my options are for 3D. It sounds like Valerian is indeed region locked (though it's still not 100% definite) so that's a problem, but there appears to be a region A 3D in China that you can get shipped to the US for $36. A bit more than the 15 pounds (minus VAT plus postage) that it's going for at Amazon right now but not unreasonable, especially compared to the risk of getting a region B player that won't do what you need.

For now, I'm going to treat Valerian as an anomaly and figure out some way to get it in region A or all region; I really can't see a lot more coming out in region B 3D. I did just watch my imported Kong Skull Island; I didn't watch the 3D version (I probably should have!) but I did verify that it is all-region, and we know the Disney ones are almost always all-region.

Last edited by GrouchoDis; 12-04-2017 at 08:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-28-2017, 07:31 PM   #47
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Well I see Terminator II will also be region-locked to B. I see this becoming a trend sadly.

Do these power converters get hot? I have very little room as it is, and the "diamond-series" power converter I linked to that costs around $20 for the 100-watt measures around 5"x5"x6", so that takes up a nice little chunk of space, and if it needs room to breath due to temperatures, that's even more space I need to find to tuck this in somewhere on my A/V rack behind everything else. And then I wonder just how steady the power output is on these things for $20. It claims it's "Recommended for High Value and/or Sensitive Items" and "Approved and Used by USA Military".

I know it's easier to just buy a modded player, but sadly so many are older models or just junky. The Panasonic I'm looking at in the UK is a real nice recent 2016 model - it even has a front display which is almost unheard of now. If I could buy one like that modded, I would, but the closest Panasonic model I could find from 220-electronics is a 2014 model. Newer ones are cheap and plasticy with no front display. I know the 6500 is plasticy and has no front display either, but at least I though that one would offer great upscaling, especially for DVDs, which I do still watch for some older TV shows. The DNR issue makes things even more complicated.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:21 PM   #48
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochon View Post
Here is 230V if I was to connect a US player that doesn't list 230v as voltage you can be certain I'll blow it for good, the other way around is not such clear cut.. If the UK player doesn't list 120V (find photos of the back) then it doesn't support it.

It may work initially but it may also cause you performance issues that might not be blatantly obvious or other weird issues, it could also end up damaging the motors of the player which would have at least two or possibly three. So if it is not physically marked as 120V then you do need the transformer.
Both Bombay and 220-electronics list a few Panasonic models (270,360,460) as worldwide voltage. So are they actually replacing the power supplies in these players? Because either they are, or the players are shipping with worldwide voltage straight out of Panasonic. Does anybody know?
Old 12-04-2017, 08:48 PM   #49

Dec 2012
Rochester, NY

I fear you are overthinking it, or falling into the "paralysis by analysis" trap - I still don't see region B 3D being a major concern.

Just on a whim, I looked at this site's release calendar - and in the US, there is exactly *one* 3D title on the calendar (Lego Ninjago), and in the UK, there's exactly *one* - Terminator 2, a post-conversion decades after the movie was released. So Terminator 2 3D might be region locked - well, that's only a concern if you're really, really into 3D, despite the movie never being designed for it.

So, that leaves us with Valerian. The options:
1. Expensive modded all-region 3D-capable bluray player
2. Mythical region B 3D player with PAL/NTSC conversion (I do wish this were not the case, but it seems to be!)
3. Set up a not-optimal-but-functional system like using a computer/laptop and bluray player set to region B
4. Find region A release or wait for eventual USA release (available now in HK for a reasonable price)
5. Buy the region B disc and use questionable-legality means to rip it to a computer, remove the region restriction, then burn it to a BD-R DL and play that on your region A player

For Valerian, #4 seems the obvious best choice considering the extra cost and hassle of the other choices.

With 4K picking up steam and seemingly little chance of 3D support for it and no new 3D TVs being released, 3D is general is probably going to continue to dwindle... and most of the movies that are in 3D are either released regularly in the USA in 3D or released region-free in England. The fact that after all these years of 3D blurays, we just now have one main title that is causing this discussion is a good sign that this is an anomaly, not the new normal.

In the meantime, I'm still happily using my cheap LG region B players - I just watched the beginning of Arrow's Hellraiser from my imported trilogy set the other night. It's great to be able to look for the best (and cheapest! especially with Arrow stuff, the UK stuff is usually much cheaper) release of a given movie no matter where it's released with no region-lock concerns.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:43 AM   #50

Oct 2010

Sorry for being a ignoramus newb on the region-free stuff, but I ordered a LG BP550 with the all-region-free, zone-free upgrade from 220-electronics last week, and its supposed to be delivered in a day or two. I had preordered both Valerian 3D and T2 3D when they were listed as region-free.

If I read the product page and description right, the player should be ready to go right out of the box, right? I have a Vizio 3D TV. Just a garden-variety amazon.com purchase a few years back.

The 220 product listing didn't mention anything about a power converter, which I would have ordered along with it if it was required. I would guess 220 would sell those right on the page. http://www.220-electronics.com/lg-bp...ay-player.html

I can't imagine they'd sell players that were guaranteed not to work without a bunch of technical know-how, adapters and a lot of monkeying around and not make it a little more clear. At least I hope they wouldn't.

I'm guessing the player is either A) an imported UK player modified to be region-free that will require some sort of plug adapter, or B) a US player modified to be region-free, which would allow me to plug and play right here in the US of A.

I really appreciate any advice you guys could provide. It's one of the best things about belonging to this forum.

Last edited by MarkBirds; 12-05-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:06 PM   #51

Dec 2012
Rochester, NY

I would assume that 220 would provide any necessary power adapters/cords to run the player. From what I can see, the BP550 is a US model - a discontinued one, too (NLA at Amazon, Target, Best Buy, etc), presumably 220 bought a pile of them for modding purposes, but there should be no power concerns I'd think.

The LG BP450 looks to be essentially the same model but for Region B, so I assume the hardware mod takes some component of that and lets you switch it at bootup. The BP450 is not available for shipping to the USA from anyone at Amazon UK. The big question is if you could buy a stock BP450 and if it'd work as well as the BP250 does. The BP250 does everything you'd want a region B player in the USA to do and for a very cheap price, so it would be great to have a 3D option that'd cost just a little more but still do PAL-NTSC conversion and require just a cheap plug converter to work in the USA.
Thanks given by:
MarkBirds (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 10:58 PM   #52
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchoDis View Post
I fear you are overthinking it, or falling into the "paralysis by analysis" trap - I still don't see region B 3D being a major concern.

Just on a whim, I looked at this site's release calendar - and in the US, there is exactly *one* 3D title on the calendar (Lego Ninjago), and in the UK, there's exactly *one* - Terminator 2, a post-conversion decades after the movie was released. So Terminator 2 3D might be region locked - well, that's only a concern if you're really, really into 3D, despite the movie never being designed for it.

So, that leaves us with Valerian. The options:
1. Expensive modded all-region 3D-capable bluray player
2. Mythical region B 3D player with PAL/NTSC conversion (I do wish this were not the case, but it seems to be!)
3. Set up a not-optimal-but-functional system like using a computer/laptop and bluray player set to region B
4. Find region A release or wait for eventual USA release (available now in HK for a reasonable price)
5. Buy the region B disc and use questionable-legality means to rip it to a computer, remove the region restriction, then burn it to a BD-R DL and play that on your region A player

For Valerian, #4 seems the obvious best choice considering the extra cost and hassle of the other choices.

With 4K picking up steam and seemingly little chance of 3D support for it and no new 3D TVs being released, 3D is general is probably going to continue to dwindle... and most of the movies that are in 3D are either released regularly in the USA in 3D or released region-free in England. The fact that after all these years of 3D blurays, we just now have one main title that is causing this discussion is a good sign that this is an anomaly, not the new normal.

In the meantime, I'm still happily using my cheap LG region B players - I just watched the beginning of Arrow's Hellraiser from my imported trilogy set the other night. It's great to be able to look for the best (and cheapest! especially with Arrow stuff, the UK stuff is usually much cheaper) release of a given movie no matter where it's released with no region-lock concerns.
But we have no idea of knowing what's coming up. I need a new region-free player anyways, and I'm a big 3D fan. I already had to import several titles recently form other countries. Beauty and the Beast was region-free thanks to Disney, but policies can change at any moment. Lionsgate no longer releases 3D in the US, so any 3D films released by Lionsgate in the future will not get a US release, and they region-lock.

I'm just thinking logically. What's best for my situation, so I don't waste money buying multiple players later. Why buy a 2D region-free player when I already own a couple region-locked 3D discs and it's almost guaranteed that more locked 3D titles will be coming? They only recently started holding back US releases. As this continues many more may end up needing a region-free or region-B player to play.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:02 PM   #53
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBirds View Post
Sorry for being a ignoramus newb on the region-free stuff, but I ordered a LG BP550 with the all-region-free, zone-free upgrade from 220-electronics last week, and its supposed to be delivered in a day or two. I had preordered both Valerian 3D and T2 3D when they were listed as region-free.

If I read the product page and description right, the player should be ready to go right out of the box, right? I have a Vizio 3D TV. Just a garden-variety amazon.com purchase a few years back.

The 220 product listing didn't mention anything about a power converter, which I would have ordered along with it if it was required. I would guess 220 would sell those right on the page. http://www.220-electronics.com/lg-bp...ay-player.html

I can't imagine they'd sell players that were guaranteed not to work without a bunch of technical know-how, adapters and a lot of monkeying around and not make it a little more clear. At least I hope they wouldn't.

I'm guessing the player is either A) an imported UK player modified to be region-free that will require some sort of plug adapter, or B) a US player modified to be region-free, which would allow me to plug and play right here in the US of A.

I really appreciate any advice you guys could provide. It's one of the best things about belonging to this forum.
Any player sold by 220-electronics or Bombay electronics will work out-of-the-box in the US. They are modded to handle PAL>NTSC conversions, as well as handle US 120v power, and of course they are region-free (be careful - 220-electronics charges $40 extra for blu-ray region-free - you have to select that option when selecting your model, and it adds another $40).
Thanks given by:
MarkBirds (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 01:20 AM   #54

Oct 2010
Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
Any player sold by 220-electronics or Bombay electronics will work out-of-the-box in the US. They are modded to handle PAL>NTSC conversions, as well as handle US 120v power, and of course they are region-free (be careful - 220-electronics charges $40 extra for blu-ray region-free - you have to select that option when selecting your model, and it adds another $40).
Thanks for the reply.

I did make sure to select the region-free option for $40. I think I got a decent deal thanks to a Black Friday discount code they were still honoring. Depends on how the player works.

I ended up going with 220 after seeing some models listed on eBay with "region-free" in the artwork but not in the description. Interestingly enough, the price was about $40 less. The seller never returned my message about the region-free feature, so I skipped eBay altogether.

I'm looking forward to buying some more imported movies. I just have to figure out what's out there.

Last edited by MarkBirds; 12-08-2017 at 05:41 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:01 AM   #55
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

GrouchoDis, thanks to you starting this thread, I finally found a player that works for me! I started a new thread/guide since it's a 3D player and also required a converter/transformer to run on 110v US power. Here's the link to my new thread if anyone is interested. Thanks again for all the help. This is an excellent alternative to buying a region-modded player, as long as you're able to find a player that works for you.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:51 PM   #56

Dec 2012
Rochester, NY

Sounds good, thanks for the update and I'm glad you found a good solution!
Old 09-01-2018, 11:39 PM   #57

Sep 2018

Apologies for chiming in so late, but I just wanted thanks for this thread. I recently started collecting blu-rays, and I really like the Arrow releases. I was really bummed to find out they're a UK based company as I live in the States. So I had to find a solution to playing Region B discs. Found out about 220, but was incredibly turned off by the high prices for old and cheap players. I thought, why not just import a player from the UK? Planning on getting the LG Bp250 as I have no need for 3d playback and it's cheap. One thing I noticed though, is the link for the power adapter in the original post no longer works. I imagine the power cord out of the box from the UK will NOT work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:19 AM   #58

Dec 2012
Rochester, NY

I'm always happy to see someone getting use out of this information! The exact plug adapter doesn't matter, all you need is to convert the UK plug to a US plug. The great thing with the BP250 is that it accepts US and UK voltage so you don't need a more-expensive device that actually converts the power output.

I found this on Amazon; there may be cheaper ones there or on Amazon or wherever if you look around.
https://www.amazon.com/SYCON-Univers.../dp/B0789WJF5Z

To clarify, you *DO* use the power cord that comes with the player, you just stick the cheap converter on the end to allow you to plug it into US outlets.

In my initial message, I pointed out that I tried to buy US power cords for the BP250. They had all the correct power markings and the player would power up, but not have enough energy to actually spin the disc. The stock cord with converter has worked perfectly since I started, a little while before I started this thread. I just used one a few days ago to start watching Arrow's new Police Story set!
Old 09-02-2018, 02:24 AM   #59
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2017
Cow Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konkoly View Post
Apologies for chiming in so late, but I just wanted thanks for this thread. I recently started collecting blu-rays, and I really like the Arrow releases. I was really bummed to find out they're a UK based company as I live in the States. So I had to find a solution to playing Region B discs. Found out about 220, but was incredibly turned off by the high prices for old and cheap players. I thought, why not just import a player from the UK? Planning on getting the LG Bp250 as I have no need for 3d playback and it's cheap. One thing I noticed though, is the link for the power adapter in the original post no longer works. I imagine the power cord out of the box from the UK will NOT work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Two posts up from yours, mar3o's signature has a link about how to go region B with 3D in the US. Click on that, and in the post that comes up there are two links to voltage adapters that work with 220 volt electronics. The amazon one is reasonably priced, and there is a non amazon option (if that is the product you need).
Old 09-02-2018, 04:12 AM   #60

Dec 2012
Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobipopcorn View Post
Two posts up from yours, mar3o's signature has a link about how to go region B with 3D in the US. Click on that, and in the post that comes up there are two links to voltage adapters that work with 220 volt electronics. The amazon one is reasonably priced, and there is a non amazon option (if that is the product you need).
The BP250 does *not* need a voltage adapter - just a passive plug adapter.

If you look at the manual available here:
https://www.lg.com/sg/support/support-product/lg-BP250

You'll see this about the power supply:
"Input: 100-240 V~, 50-60 Hz 0.3 A Max.
Output: 12 V - 1 A"

So it happily accepts US power voltage as well as UK's. That's part of what makes this such a great deal - inexpensive player and easy to convert. No, it can't do 3D, but there are *so* few region B 3Ds not available in other regions. Even Valerian was released 3D in region A in Asia so you can get a copy from there.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders