Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
21 hrs ago
Hannibal 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.42

Vampire Hunter D (Blu-ray)
$7.99
3 hrs ago
Justice League vs the Fatal Five (Blu-ray)
$18.99
9 hrs ago
If Beale Street Could Talk (Blu-ray)
$19.99

A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Steven Seagal 4-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Dragon Ball Super: Broly (Blu-ray)
$22.99

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Aura Battler Dunbine: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.99
9 hrs ago
First Man (Blu-ray)
$17.00

Underworld: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.09

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 11-06-2017, 06:27 PM   #21
Special Member

Aug 2007
New York, NY, US

Until we know otherwise, I’d assume that Sony BD players with scaling to 2160p can’t be trusted, so why not just save some cash and get the cheaper unit?
Old 11-07-2017, 12:32 AM   #22
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
It does have 4K upscaling like the 6500. Good chance it might have the same issues, but I do not know.

If you have no need for 4K upscaling, then I would suggest the S3600 like what David M said. Its cheaper and is a solid little player.
I need a region-free player. I see 220electronics doesn't have the S3600, but it does have the S5500. Would this be a suitable alternative? Does anybody know what the difference is between those two? In fact, I can't even find anything about the S3600 anywhere online.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:38 AM   #23
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Until we know otherwise, Iíd assume that Sony BD players with scaling to 2160p canít be trusted, so why not just save some cash and get the cheaper unit?
This makes me wonder about their UHD x800 as well, as that obviously upscales and outputs 4k. Is that player affected? I'm still torn on whether I should go for the all-in-one modded UHD x800 player from 220 or the S5500 which is blu-ray only, and pick up a UHD player later, maybe after the 2nd gen model comes out next year. Either way it's the same money in the end, buy one player now or 1 now for region-free and a UHD player later. If the x800 also suffers form this then obviously that's a different story.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:45 AM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
This makes me wonder about their UHD x800 as well, as that obviously upscales and outputs 4k. Is that player affected? I'm still torn on whether I should go for the all-in-one modded UHD x800 player from 220 or the S5500 which is blu-ray only, and pick up a UHD player later, maybe after the 2nd gen model comes out next year. Either way it's the same money in the end, buy one player now or 1 now for region-free and a UHD player later. If the x800 also suffers form this then obviously that's a different story.
Even if the x800 is also affected, if you’ll be using it with a 4K TV, it shouldn’t matter as the 4K upscaling should be fine. It just depends how long you’ll use it before hooking it up to a 4K TV.

Last edited by Indiana Jonezzz...; 11-07-2017 at 03:21 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:04 AM   #25

Apr 2013
City On The Edge Of Forever

Quote:
I need a region-free player. I see 220electronics doesn't have the S3600, but it does have the S5500. Would this be a suitable alternative? Does anybody know what the difference is between those two? In fact, I can't even find anything about the S3600 anywhere online.
It looks like the 5500 has 3D, while the the 3600 does not.

220 has a region free 3700 for sale, i'd recommend that or the 5500 then: http://www.220-electronics.com/sony-...-built-in.html

Last edited by Vanguard; 11-07-2017 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Add 5500
Old 11-07-2017, 03:24 AM   #26
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
It looks like the 5500 has 3D, while the the 3600 does not.

220 has a region free 3700 for sale, i'd recommend that or the 5500 then: http://www.220-electronics.com/sony-...-built-in.html
Well I need 3D so it looks like the 5500 would be the one to go with, unless I went with the x800 UHD player.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:27 AM   #27
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jonezzz... View Post
Even if the x800 is also affected, if you’ll be using it with a 4K TV, it shouldn’t matter as the 4K upscaling should be fine. It just depends how long you’ll use it before hooking it up to a 4K TV.
Well I'd be using it right away on my UHD set, but I don't know if I'd prefer having it just upscale everything or send everything out native and let my LG do the upscaling like I'm doing now. A poster on the x800 thread says it looks like the x800 is actually smoothing over upscaled 1080p content, compared to his Samsung player, but maybe his Samsung player is artificially sharpening the output.
Thanks given by:
Indiana Jonezzz... (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 12:15 AM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010
Scotland

Quote:
Well I'd be using it right away on my UHD set, but I don't know if I'd prefer having it just upscale everything or send everything out native and let my LG do the upscaling like I'm doing now. A poster on the x800 thread says it looks like the x800 is actually smoothing over upscaled 1080p content, compared to his Samsung player, but maybe his Samsung player is artificially sharpening the output.
I forgot that you might not want the player to do the upscaling, and instead leave it to your TV to do it, if that does a better job. In that case, it sounds like you might be safest just to get the 5500.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #29
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Yeah, still torn over either the 550 or the UHD x800. I wish I knew if the x800 has this issue. It's one or the other.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:14 PM   #30

Apr 2013

Quote:
Yeah, still torn over either the 550 or the UHD x800. I wish I knew if the x800 has this issue. It's one or the other.
Not sure if you have a Best Buy near you, but some stores have the x800 on display, and maybe you could convince an employee to show you what it looks like on different televisions, and maybe test it with a Blu-ray that has a strongly defined grain field like Lawrence Of Arabia or modern film like the 2005 King Kong. The x800 also appears to be on sale for $150.

Otherwise, if I was in your position, I would get the 5500. Its guaranteed to not have the issues, and has been field tested for a few years.

Last edited by Vanguard; 11-08-2017 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Add words
Old 11-17-2017, 08:14 PM   #31

Nov 2017

Has anyone been able to figure out if the UBP-X800 has this issue?
Old 11-19-2017, 04:58 AM   #32
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcity View Post
Has anyone been able to figure out if the UBP-X800 has this issue?
I've asked twice in the x800 thread and got no confirmation one way or the other. Sadly I consider all recent Sony players suspect until it's proven otherwise. This is what happens when a company screws up (and doesn't fix the issue) - they lose trust.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:27 PM   #33
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2013
Twin Cities, MN
-
-
-
-
-

Does the 6700 suffer from this as well?
Old 11-20-2017, 05:38 PM   #34

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefy View Post
Does the 6700 suffer from this as well?
Most likely, yes. Its nearly the same player as the S6500.

The consensus now is to avoid the upscaling 4K players, so everything from the S6500 and higher is possibly affected. Though regular, true 4K players like the x800, are probably fine.

Hopefully Sony can remedy this with a firmware update. It seems quite ridiculous that this managed to get through QA.
Thanks given by:
Chiefy (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 08:23 PM   #35
Special Member

Aug 2013
Right behind you.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:08 AM   #36
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Most likely, yes. Its nearly the same player as the S6500.

The consensus now is to avoid the upscaling 4K players, so everything from the S6500 and higher is possibly affected. Though regular, true 4K players like the x800, are probably fine.

Hopefully Sony can remedy this with a firmware update. It seems quite ridiculous that this managed to get through QA.
Why can I assume the x800 is safe? That also upscales SD/HD to 4k, and also has an option to output in 1080p. Some may prefer to let the TV do the upscaling, so then wouldn't that run into the same issue, with the x800 outputting 1080p?

Very frustrating, and something I wasn't expecting from Sony. I was hoping to pick up a Sony region-free player but now I don't know what to do. The 5500 doesn't have the better upscaler, and the 6500 up has this issue.

Maybe I'm better off going with an LG after all. I trusted the Sony would be superior, but now I'm not convinced.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:05 PM   #37

Apr 2013

Quote:
Why can I assume the x800 is safe? That also upscales SD/HD to 4k, and also has an option to output in 1080p. Some may prefer to let the TV do the upscaling, so then wouldn't that run into the same issue, with the x800 outputting 1080p?

Very frustrating, and something I wasn't expecting from Sony. I was hoping to pick up a Sony region-free player but now I don't know what to do. The 5500 doesn't have the better upscaler, and the 6500 up has this issue.

Maybe I'm better off going with an LG after all. I trusted the Sony would be superior, but now I'm not convinced.
I assumed that since the x800 is an actual UHD player, and not a upscaling model like the 6500, it would have different firmware and hardware that would not be affected. I dont own a x800, so I dont know how it handles 1080P content, running at 1080P.

I'm upset as you are on this, especially since I paid a bundle for a region free S6500, and its my only way of watching B region locked discs and PAL dvds.

So, if you are looking for a player quick, definitely go with a different brand for now. The LG-UP970 looks like a great player. Or the UP870, but I cant find many reviews for the 870.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:31 PM   #38
Special Member

Aug 2007
New York, NY, US

I'd like to know re the X800 too. I really hope it doesn't, but at this point I'll have to be cautious. Sony's SXRD projectors have applied a different type of noise reduction (temporal NR) to any non-4K input signal for a while now (and yes, that's even when the Reality Creation and Noise Reduction settings are both set to "Off") - although in some cases you can use Game Mode to get around it. Their consumer products seem to have picked up a penchant for including this kind of undefeatable processing in recent years.

Fortunately, the last Sony TVs I looked at (including the A1 OLED) are fine.
Thanks given by:
HeavyHitter (12-21-2017)
Old 11-22-2017, 03:18 AM   #39

Oct 2008
-

Hi, this is for the people who were asking about this smoothing on the x800. First I would like to point out that there are so many settings that can affect the outcome and the interaction of the player with different tv's could give you different results.

I have tried a DVD (terrible PQ) Strictly Ballroom and BD (not the best PQ) 1st Harry Potter.
My TV is the equivalent of the Sony X930e in the US 65"

I have tried plenty of combinations but I'll keep it simple. The main difference appears changing the screen setting (HDMI output) changing the upscaling method from auto1,2 or off causes almost no visual change. If you force HDMI to output 4k all the time it does smooth the picture only a tiny bit on the BD but it is very noticeable on the DVD.
The DVD looks much better in forced 4k because using original resolution shows a checkerboard pattern all over the screen made of compression artifacts. With the bluray the change is not so obvious -sitting right next to the tv- I am convinced there is an almost insignificant shift to smoother picture more visible in close ups of hair or skin which is really too small to worry about.

If I can summarize it this way: it was an interesting experiment and I am glad to know this behavior but I am waiting for my second spare player that's due to arrive in a week or so. To this point I have no regrets I am still very pleased with the player. I can criticize a few points but picture is not one of them.

I can't compare it to Oppo as I don't have one but the current difference in price makes no contender not because I can't afford it but because when I see the quality this player is giving me for the price I don't feel the need to search for a better player and as you know most of them have one problem or another.

I am sure now that I have posted this confirmation there will be people saying they rather jump of a bridge than buying this player but you can't please everyone, that's life.

Last edited by cochon; 11-22-2017 at 03:25 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:30 AM   #40
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Thanks for the info. But there's no way now that I would own an X800. The lack of Dolby Vision and so many reports of it freezing up on discs is bad enough, but hearing that the X800 has similar forced DNR as their other players convinces me. I have never owned a Sony player, and until they fix these issues, I never will. Looks like I'll be waiting on a UHD player as Oppo and Panasonic seems to be the only companies that currently make a decent player, and I can't afford either brand.

As far as a region free player, I'm tempted to go with an older model LG from 220-electronics, but their players are lackluster at best, and I'm not thrilled with any of the choices in my affordable range (under $200).

What is Sony thinking? They are going to lose sales over this. I play DVDs through my Panasonic blu-ray player currently and there is A) no checkerboarding or pixellation (other than the obvious DVD compression artifacts) and B) there is no forced DNR.

I thought the 6500 would be the ideal region-free player but this DNR mess has me totally rethinking everything.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders