Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Westworld: Season Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Westworld: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
The White Princess (Blu-ray)
$7.99
7 hrs ago
If Beale Street Could Talk (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Underworld: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.09
 
Gotham: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot (Blu-ray)
$15.41
 
A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Frame Arms Girl: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$15.99
7 hrs ago
Dragon Ball Super: Broly (Blu-ray)
$22.99
 
Scream and Scream Again (Blu-ray)
$19.98
5 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2017, 04:09 PM   #21
mar3o mar3o is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
Dec 2011
2
Default

The whole point of this thread though was for those that want to avoid modding. For $140 I have a new 2016 model Panasonic 3D player that plays all region B discs without any modding and no fear of updating firmware.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
rickmiddlebrooks (10-18-2018)
Old 12-20-2017, 04:23 PM   #22
caligulathegod caligulathegod is offline
Junior Member
 
Jun 2008
859
363
Default

Right, but for those that are willing to mod (and it was brought up), I just offered up a source.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:49 PM   #23
AnalogAperture AnalogAperture is offline
Active Member
 
AnalogAperture's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Lynchburg, VA
47
296
102
Default

Yea I found out the hard way that my Samsung player doesn't do Region B, Was really hoping that I could see Valerian in 3D since I just got it from Zavvi.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:51 PM   #24
AnalogAperture AnalogAperture is offline
Active Member
 
AnalogAperture's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Lynchburg, VA
47
296
102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
The whole point of this thread though was for those that want to avoid modding. For $140 I have a new 2016 model Panasonic 3D player that plays all region B discs without any modding and no fear of updating firmware.
which player do you have?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:37 PM   #25
dhvsfan dhvsfan is offline
Senior Member
 
Jul 2015
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogAperture View Post
which player do you have?
Analog, I think you have mis-understood mar3o.

On post #1, he is importing a Panasonic DMP-BDT380EB 3D Smart Blu-Ray Player from Amazon UK. Then making it run on 110V.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
AnalogAperture (12-21-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 01:36 PM   #26
AnalogAperture AnalogAperture is offline
Active Member
 
AnalogAperture's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Lynchburg, VA
47
296
102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhvsfan View Post
Analog, I think you have mis-understood mar3o.

On post #1, he is importing a Panasonic DMP-BDT380EB 3D Smart Blu-Ray Player from Amazon UK. Then making it run on 110V.
Aack I sure did! Thanks for clarifying XD

I didn't realize that I was on the second page haha I think I'm going blind lol


Follow up Question, is this a dual HDMI player?

my Issue is that I need dual HDMI for my setup, so I can't just use any player unfortunately.

Last edited by AnalogAperture; 12-21-2017 at 01:42 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:42 PM   #27
dhvsfan dhvsfan is offline
Senior Member
 
Jul 2015
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogAperture View Post
Aack I sure did! Thanks for clarifying XD

I didn't realize that I was on the second page haha I think I'm going blind lol


Follow up Question, is this a dual HDMI player?

my Issue is that I need dual HDMI for my setup, so I can't just use any player unfortunately.
I see in your .sig, that you have a Oppo DV-970HD. Have you considered upgrading it to the latest Oppo UDP-203 ? The Oppo has dual HDMI outputs.

Several vendors sell the Oppo modified to be region free.

Bombay Electronics:
https://www.bombayelectronics.com/pr...?ref=yotpo_106

220-Electronics:
http://www.220-electronics.com/regio...opby/oppo.html

If you already have the Oppo Udp-203, you can get EXTERNAL region-free mod kits from vendors on E-Bay and elsewhere.

One is JVB Digital:

http://www.jvbdigital.nl/jvb.asp?cur...tle&title=1285

DISCLAIMER: I have no connections to these vendors. Simply providing information.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
AnalogAperture (12-22-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 01:41 PM   #28
AnalogAperture AnalogAperture is offline
Active Member
 
AnalogAperture's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Lynchburg, VA
47
296
102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhvsfan View Post
I see in your .sig, that you have a Oppo DV-970HD. Have you considered upgrading it to the latest Oppo UDP-203 ? The Oppo has dual HDMI outputs.

Several vendors sell the Oppo modified to be region free.

Bombay Electronics:
https://www.bombayelectronics.com/pr...?ref=yotpo_106

220-Electronics:
http://www.220-electronics.com/regio...opby/oppo.html

If you already have the Oppo Udp-203, you can get EXTERNAL region-free mod kits from vendors on E-Bay and elsewhere.

One is JVB Digital:

http://www.jvbdigital.nl/jvb.asp?cur...tle&title=1285

DISCLAIMER: I have no connections to these vendors. Simply providing information.
I had not! but that's not bad at all >_ >

I love my Oppo so I know they build quality, my Hi-Fi mentor has a high end Oppo and I have to say, I've been constantly impressed with them. And the price is reasonable.

Thank you for the recommendation!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:48 PM   #29
paceman90 paceman90 is offline
Member
 
Apr 2017
Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I recently bought an Oppo 203 and that makes my old Oppo 93 the perfect guinea pig for the Oppo dongle doohickey thingy that makes it a region free player. The Oppo 93 has not received firmware updates in years, so there's no worry there with updates interfering with the dongle doohickey thingy.

I have heard only good things about this add-on device and I have heard that it even works fine with the new Oppo 203 model. It costs about $60, too, which is far less expensive than the idea of importing a region B player and a voltage converter.

I'm all for any ideas that keep 3D viable on home video. The dongle is the best solution in my case, if I ever get off my keister and buy it. I have three 3D titles from Amazon.uk arriving any day now, but they are all region free. It will be nice not to have to worry about this issue of region coding ever again.

Keep fighting the good fight there mar3o!
I ordered the mod from eBay... just waiting for the payment to clear so it can get shipped. I can't wait to plug it in and get going with it because I bought Valerian through Zavvi when they listed the steelbook as Region-Free, only to find out that it's not. Plus, many Region B 3D titles are so much cheaper on Amazon UK than they are over here. The eBay seller has a 30 day refund policy, so if I can't get the external method to work, I'll likely just return it and go from there. Keep in touch if you get your mod and let me know how it goes. I was concerned that I would have to do the whole 'Dimmer, Dimmer...' cycle every time I switched between Region A and B, but users on here have stated that if you switch to B, once you've finished with the disc make sure to hit stop on your remote, maybe more than once, and the player will remember the disc's region so the next time you pop the Region B in, you won't have to go through the cycle again.

As a personal aside, my wife ordered the OPPO 203 for me last month and it's just been sitting under the tree... she won't let me open it until Christmas, and it drives me nuts! Why just let it sit there when we could be enjoying superior picture and sound over the Samsung 8500, not to mention Dolby Vision!?!? Only three more days....
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:54 PM   #30
GrouchoDis GrouchoDis is offline
Member
 
GrouchoDis's Avatar
 
Dec 2012
Rochester, NY
926
544
23
Default

Geez guys. There's a million threads about multiregion players and hacks. The point of this thread (and my earlier one) is the option of *not* going multiregion or hacking but getting a dedicated stock foreign player. If you want to talk Oppo and hacks, it'd be better to start a new thread.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
AnalogAperture (12-22-2017), mar3o (12-24-2017), rickmiddlebrooks (10-18-2018)
Old 12-22-2017, 02:57 PM   #31
paceman90 paceman90 is offline
Member
 
Apr 2017
Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchoDis View Post
Geez guys. There's a million threads about multiregion players and hacks. The point of this thread (and my earlier one) is the option of *not* going multiregion or hacking but getting a dedicated stock foreign player. If you want to talk Oppo and hacks, it'd be better to start a new thread.
Sorry, bub. I'll send a PM next time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:00 PM   #32
AnalogAperture AnalogAperture is offline
Active Member
 
AnalogAperture's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Lynchburg, VA
47
296
102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paceman90 View Post
I ordered the mod from eBay... just waiting for the payment to clear so it can get shipped. I can't wait to plug it in and get going with it because I bought Valerian through Zavvi when they listed the steelbook as Region-Free, only to find out that it's not. Plus, many Region B 3D titles are so much cheaper on Amazon UK than they are over here. The eBay seller has a 30 day refund policy, so if I can't get the external method to work, I'll likely just return it and go from there. Keep in touch if you get your mod and let me know how it goes. I was concerned that I would have to do the whole 'Dimmer, Dimmer...' cycle every time I switched between Region A and B, but users on here have stated that if you switch to B, once you've finished with the disc make sure to hit stop on your remote, maybe more than once, and the player will remember the disc's region so the next time you pop the Region B in, you won't have to go through the cycle again.

As a personal aside, my wife ordered the OPPO 203 for me last month and it's just been sitting under the tree... she won't let me open it until Christmas, and it drives me nuts! Why just let it sit there when we could be enjoying superior picture and sound over the Samsung 8500, not to mention Dolby Vision!?!? Only three more days....
YEAHHH That's exactly why I'm looking for a Region B 3D player, VALERIAN! lol I was so bummed when I got the notification that it wasn't compatible... I wanna watch Valerian in 3D!!!

P.S. The Valerian Steelbook is gorgeous!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:30 PM   #33
RockyIII RockyIII is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
RockyIII's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
Miami, Fl
25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogAperture View Post
YEAHHH That's exactly why I'm looking for a Region B 3D player, VALERIAN! lol I was so bummed when I got the notification that it wasn't compatible... I wanna watch Valerian in 3D!!!

P.S. The Valerian Steelbook is gorgeous!
I ordered Valerian steelbook from UK and 2 weeks later I went ahead and bought a multiregion player for $170. I'm glad I did!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
AnalogAperture (12-22-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 03:44 PM   #34
AnalogAperture AnalogAperture is offline
Active Member
 
AnalogAperture's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Lynchburg, VA
47
296
102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
I ordered Valerian steelbook from UK and 2 weeks later I went ahead and bought a multiregion player for $170. I'm glad I did!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
which one did you purchase?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 01:14 PM   #35
mar3o mar3o is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
Dec 2011
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchoDis View Post
Geez guys. There's a million threads about multiregion players and hacks. The point of this thread (and my earlier one) is the option of *not* going multiregion or hacking but getting a dedicated stock foreign player. If you want to talk Oppo and hacks, it'd be better to start a new thread.
Thanks for saying what I was about to. I think it's great that people are trying to help each other out with suggestions and options, but as you said here, there are tons of other threads about region-free players and mods. The reason I created this thread specifically was for those who didn't want to mod their player or buy a modded player, but rather wanted a stock retail region B player. It would be helpful for those who find this thread if we tried to stay on-topic about importing region-B players.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
rickmiddlebrooks (10-18-2018)
Old 12-24-2017, 01:20 PM   #36
mar3o mar3o is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
Dec 2011
2
Default

As a note, the Panasonic DMP-BDT380EB 3D Smart Blu-Ray Player I link to in my first post does not have dual HDMI outputs, so if you are planning on using this for upscaling, you will need an A/V receiver that handles 4k, since there is only 1 HDMI output.

I let my TV do the upscaling so I'm not affected - I just send out 1080p.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 02:59 PM   #37
RockyIII RockyIII is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
RockyIII's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
Miami, Fl
25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogAperture View Post
which one did you purchase?
Sony BD6500 by Multi-Systems

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 03:35 PM   #38
man_westooth man_westooth is offline
Member
 
man_westooth's Avatar
 
Aug 2013
Default

I see in your .sig, that you have a Oppo DV-970HD. Have you considered upgrading it to the latest Oppo UDP-203 ? The Oppo has dual HDMI outputs.

Several vendors sell the Oppo modified to be region free.

[. . .]

220-Electronics:
http://www.220-electronics.com/regio...opby/oppo.html


I recently sent my Sony 3D Blu player to them and had it modified for under $100. I was able to play "Valerian" in 3D on it last week. I would suggest e-mailing them with your make and model and asking for a quote. I've dealt with them twice now for region-free players, and have had a good experience with their customer service.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:10 AM   #39
TransAM TransAM is offline
Active Member
 
TransAM's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
Lancaster-Litiz PA
1
Default

I bought the Panasonic DMP-BDT380EB 3D Smart Blu-Ray Player from Amazon/uk so that I could play region B disks, but it appears that it plays region A disks, so did I not get a reqion B player?? Dont have any region B disks yet to test. Anyone help??
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:14 AM   #40
RockyIII RockyIII is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
RockyIII's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
Miami, Fl
25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAM View Post
I bought the Panasonic DMP-BDT380EB 3D Smart Blu-Ray Player from Amazon/uk so that I could play region B disks, but it appears that it plays region A disks, so did I not get a reqion B player?? Dont have any region B disks yet to test. Anyone help??
Only way to know is by playing a region B disc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:22 AM.