Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Westworld: Season Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Westworld: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Underworld: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.09
21 hrs ago
The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot (Blu-ray)
$15.41

The White Princess (Blu-ray)
$7.99
38 min ago
Gotham: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

If Beale Street Could Talk (Blu-ray)
$19.99

A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Kimagure Orange Road (Blu-ray)
$63.68

Bourne: The Ultimate Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Star Wars Rebels: Complete Season Four (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 04-03-2018, 10:18 PM   #41
Expert Member

Jun 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
OK, so unfortunately Oppo is going away forever. Now the question is, what are the alternatives? What other manufacturer makes a quality player that provides good support (in the U.S.) and can play most formats?
Sony X1000ES and X800.
Panasonic next batch of players, the 9000 supreme next leader, and his right hand, the 820.
I agree with the Panasonic recommendation. I hope they are released in the US. Some reviewers picked the prior Panasonic flagships over the Oppos for non-DV discs.

http://www.avsforum.com/oppo-announc...-new-products/

Q: Why is Oppo terminating its product manufacturing?
A: The revenue from sales cannot offset the cost of developing players and maintaining a production facility.
Q: The announcement says Oppo will “gradually” stop making products. How gradually?
A: We are in the process of manufacturing our last batch of products. If there is no change to delay or speed up the production, we expect the last product to come out of the factory in June.
Q: When production stops, will you continue to sell products in your inventory? How long do you anticipate that might last?
A: Yes, we will continue to sell products in our inventory. It is hard to predict how long that might last; based on the previous rate, it may last 2-3 months. However, demand may slow down given the announcement, or perhaps people will want to get products while they can and the inventory will be sold out quickly.
Q: What will happen to the company in the long term? Will it change its focus in some way, or will it stay open long enough to support its products for some period of time? Are we talking months or years?
A: The company will transition from product development to product support. We are committed to supporting the products for as long as we can. For those who just purchased one of our products or will purchase them, we will honor the 2-year manufacturer’s warranty, so we are talking about years rather than months. This is also why we made the announcement now, so customers can make an informed decision regarding future purchases, and we can plan to have the proper resources to support the customers and products.
Thanks given by:
fgsouza (04-04-2018), onyx527 (04-03-2018), Paul.R.S (04-04-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 10:41 PM   #42

Feb 2008
Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdave View Post
Just got a shipping notice from Fedex.

Be interesting to check prices on ebay tonight.
Me too. I just ordered a 2nd Oppo 203 just in case.

I traded in a Oppo 93 last year for over $200, with no retail box!!! These prices will only go up.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:41 PM   #43
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
They obviously won’t be making any more of those either, since no one will be supplying them with the “internals”.
They use different boards even though the mt8591 is utilized, so OPPO announcement might not be at all representative to what CA does.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:44 PM   #44
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
The decision was made last year apparently.

Yeah, seems both decisions were made last year.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:50 PM   #45
Expert Member

Jan 2014
Sydney, Australia

203 will become a holy grail, laserdisc style.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:30 AM   #46
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMill View Post
I agree with the Panasonic recommendation. I hope they are released in the US. Some reviewers picked the prior Panasonic flagships over the Oppos for non-DV discs.

http://www.avsforum.com/oppo-announc...-new-products/

Q: Why is Oppo terminating its product manufacturing?
A: The revenue from sales cannot offset the cost of developing players and maintaining a production facility.
Q: The announcement says Oppo will “gradually” stop making products. How gradually?
A: We are in the process of manufacturing our last batch of products. If there is no change to delay or speed up the production, we expect the last product to come out of the factory in June.
Q: When production stops, will you continue to sell products in your inventory? How long do you anticipate that might last?
A: Yes, we will continue to sell products in our inventory. It is hard to predict how long that might last; based on the previous rate, it may last 2-3 months. However, demand may slow down given the announcement, or perhaps people will want to get products while they can and the inventory will be sold out quickly.
Q: What will happen to the company in the long term? Will it change its focus in some way, or will it stay open long enough to support its products for some period of time? Are we talking months or years?

A: The company will transition from product development to product support. We are committed to supporting the products for as long as we can. For those who just purchased one of our products or will purchase them, we will honor the 2-year manufacturer’s warranty, so we are talking about years rather than months. This is also why we made the announcement now, so customers can make an informed decision regarding future purchases, and we can plan to have the proper resources to support the customers and products.
If the phone conversation I had earlier this afternoon is any indication, I think the wind has shifted a little just since this e-mail interview. The company underestimated the response to the announcement. Of course, demand could slow in the coming weeks. But I've now been led to believe that even the "last batch of products" could be sold through in a month. It's also now my understanding that they will be turning off the phone number at the end of April. Warranty service will be administered online.

No disrespect to Scott Wilkinson but the way he phrases the "what will happen to the company in the long term" question indicates a possible lack of understanding of the fact that this subsidiary company is shuttering. The larger China-based OPPO remains. Which segues to . . .

Re "for as long as we can": I hate to be lawyerly pessimistic but this language is noteworthy. This rep didn't say "We are committed to supporting the products for the length of the warranty obligation." If OPPO Digital is no more, the entity that our warranties as consumers is with is going bye bye. It seems to me that the larger company will be administering those warranties and it is not unfathomable that, say, a year from now they could simply chose to refund the $79 cost of extended warranties and come up with a figure to compensate those not yet at the end of the baked in 2-year warranty, cut a check and just stop servicing players. Is OPPO Digital going to maintain a service facility staffed with engineers here in California (or wherever Stateside)? They ain't saying' yet and that is a key issue it seems to me.

I just spoke with my salesman at Walt's TV yesterday from whom I bought my Mitsu DLP 5 years ago. He told me that that is what has happened to some customers who had display problems and an extended warranty. Mitsu no longer makes DLP displays and there is no U.S.-based staff any longer dealing with their TVs except about 6 people (some of them rude) selling lamps and remotes in the parts department in Irvine, California. Which segues to . . .

There's a flip side to rushing out and getting a second 203 right now. I think that in a year's time we will have greater clarity of the hot mess that is HDR issues right now: How is HDR10+ going to fare vis-a-vis Dolby Vision? Which studios are going to embrace DV besides those which have now? Is OPPO going to issue a fw upgrade for the 203 for DV? And is this whole HDR conversation overcooked for those of us more interested in deep catalog titles for which HDR may or may not even be applied?

There's a lot to consider here, gents.

Last edited by Paul.R.S; 04-04-2018 at 12:41 AM.
Thanks given by:
Dollar Colonel (04-05-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 12:49 AM   #47
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
NOLA

Very distressing news. I just bought a 203 two months ago and had my heart set on a 205 later in the year. Don't know if they'll be in production long enough for that to happen.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:55 AM   #48
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFerric View Post
Very distressing news. I just bought a 203 two months ago and had my heart set on a 205 later in the year. Don't know if they'll be in production long enough for that to happen.
From AVS article

Quote:

Old 04-04-2018, 02:34 AM   #49
Power Member

Nov 2009

I am contemplating a second 203 but I am on the fence. Does any other 4k player also offer SACD and 3D capability?
Old 04-04-2018, 02:41 AM   #50
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
They obviously won’t be making any more of those either, since no one will be supplying them with the “internals”.
I too thought about that, the Cambridge player, but I'm not sure if it would affect that player. If not, it's not all bad news.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:42 AM   #51
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniteCR View Post
Yeah, seems both decisions were made last year.
We didn't get the memo.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:48 AM   #52
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedliniv View Post
I am contemplating a second 203 but I am on the fence. Does any other 4k player also offer SACD and 3D capability?
Sony X800. $200 and $150 when on sale.
https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-ubp-x800/review/
Old 04-04-2018, 02:48 AM   #53
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedliniv View Post
Yes, it plays SACD, 3D, DVD-A, blu-ray, 4k UHD, DVD, CD etc.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:56 AM   #54

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havenbull View Post
Me too. I just ordered a 2nd Oppo 203 just in case.
Same here. Putting the 2nd away in storage.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:12 AM   #55

Sep 2009

No matter how you slice or dice or mince it, this is a huge blow to physical media and to physical media enthusiasts. I suppose one could say that this day or this particular time was meant to come at some point, but it is still a surprise for me.

I don't know why people would necessarily panic though. I've owned 4 Oppo machines (BD's 80, 83, 93, and 103D) and none of the four had any issues of any kind whatsoever. One of them was given to a family member who continues to use it. If Oppo offers future firmware upgrades, no one has to worry.

What I am most concerned with though is the loss of a new product that plays SACD's and DVD-Audio (yes I still pop a few of those in now and then). I am guessing that those kinds of players will be only found in the obscenely priced snob-end of the market.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:09 AM   #56

Dec 2009

SOB. You guys are going to make me buy a 203....
Old 04-04-2018, 04:21 AM   #57

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzYme View Post
SOB. You guys are going to make me buy a 203....
If I were you, I'd get one now if you have any interest in it. I wouldn't wait, because I can see people who have been on the fence about upgrading to 4k or wanting a 203 or 205 pulling the trigger on it.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:46 AM   #58
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemcgee64 View Post
Same here. Putting the 2nd away in storage.
All ears for comments from repair people with differing input, but if you're kind of planning to mothball the additional deck that seems like a bad idea to me based upon comments I've heard from repair technicians over the years. The belts of the drive mechanism need to move now and again, not get stiff from staying still for months and months. I'd bring the deck out now and again and watch a movie or two on it, kinda like taking an older car that you don't drive daily for a regular spin.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:51 AM   #59
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Sigh. For the price of most pre-owned 103s on Amazon right now, ya' might as well get a 203 with the damn warranty that I don't think is going to be honored for 24 much less 36 months.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:33 PM   #60

Aug 2013

I would love to know how many players OPPO has actually sold for each model over the years.

Also wondering what their actual production rate will be until June.

My 203 will sit in a box for a bit until I have time to extract the 83 and replace it with the 203. Then the 83 will go back to Oppo to have the tray replaced.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders