Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Westworld: Season Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Westworld: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Steven Seagal 4-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$8.99
20 hrs ago
Emmanuelle 3 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
15 hrs ago
Princess Principal: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
 
A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Frame Arms Girl: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$15.99
 
The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot (Blu-ray)
$15.41
 
Triple Threat (Blu-ray)
$22.27
22 hrs ago
The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Happy Death Day 2U (Blu-ray)
$23.78
12 hrs ago
If Beale Street Could Talk (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2018, 03:39 PM   #1
Dragon Ranger Dragon Ranger is offline
Power Member
 
Dragon Ranger's Avatar
 
Jan 2015
235
Default The Tokusatsu Thread

Tokusatsu (特撮 "special filming") is a Japanese genre of live-action film or television drama that uses many special effects.

Tokusatsu entertainment often deals with science fiction, fantasy or horror, but movies and television shows in other genres can sometimes count as tokusatsu as well. The most popular types of tokusatsu include kaiju monster movies like the Godzilla and Gamera film series; superhero TV serials such as the Kamen Rider and Metal Hero series; and mecha dramas like Giant Robo. Some tokusatsu television programs combine several of these subgenres, for example the Ultraman and Super Sentai series.

Tokusatsu is one of the most popular forms of Japanese entertainment, but most tokusatsu movies and television programs are not widely known outside Asia.


I am creating this thread so fans of all types of Tokusatsu from Godzilla to Power Rangers to Mothra and Kamen Rider can chat about the best quality releases and share information about which have sub titles (to make them English friendly) and the best place to purchase them from.


Rules of this thread - No 'Power Rangers suxxxxxx' style elitism please, Super Sentai and Power Rangers share a DNA so respect the fandoms of both.

If you are posting about the best home release of a certain title please include a picture of the cover art and where people can buy it from.

Remember to include if it is English friendly or not.

And please; just be nice to each other.

Now, on with the thread!


  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
gabuchan (07-03-2018), Professor Knowby (05-15-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 03:46 PM   #2
Dragon Ranger Dragon Ranger is offline
Power Member
 
Dragon Ranger's Avatar
 
Jan 2015
235
Default

Also I would love to hear how fellow fans got into Tokusatsu and see photos of your Blu ray/DVD/merhcandise/cosplay so please feel free to post these.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:57 PM   #3
Professor Knowby Professor Knowby is offline
Member
 
Professor Knowby's Avatar
 
Aug 2014
1360
363
Default

Glad to see this post! I started watching the Super Sentai releases from Shout Factory about a year and a half ago starting with Zyuranger and have been loving them. Does anyone know if Shout Factory confirmed this?

https://www.powerrangersnow.com/jetman-dvd-announced/

I've read that Jetman is one of the best of the "Super Sentai" shows - hope it's really coming out! The design of the mechs and costumes look fantastic.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
UniSol GR77 (05-27-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 09:14 AM   #4
Dragon Ranger Dragon Ranger is offline
Power Member
 
Dragon Ranger's Avatar
 
Jan 2015
235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Knowby View Post
Glad to see this post! I started watching the Super Sentai releases from Shout Factory about a year and a half ago starting with Zyuranger and have been loving them. Does anyone know if Shout Factory confirmed this?

https://www.powerrangersnow.com/jetman-dvd-announced/

I've read that Jetman is one of the best of the "Super Sentai" shows - hope it's really coming out! The design of the mechs and costumes look fantastic.
It is true; Shout are releasing Jetman (and Gaoranger later in the year). This video by the fantastic MMPRToys channel confirmed it (Bruno is good friends with the people at Shout).



I have seen Jetman and can confirm it is brilliant. Not just for the motif (birds, in tribute to the anime Gatchaman aka Battle of the Planets to the Western world), it's robots and action but for its depth of character. It has a love triangle that won't make you cringe, conflict between team mates that feels genuine and some of the best villains in the franchise history. Compared to how Sentai is these days it also feels a bit edgier due to some of the violence and people drinking and smoking, something you wouldn't see today! Plus Geki and Dan's actors from Zyuranger appear in a couple of episodes.





  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Professor Knowby (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 03:33 PM   #5
agvd agvd is offline
Member
 
agvd's Avatar
 
Aug 2015
Default

While I'm thankful for the US DVD releases we've got (e.g., Ultra Q, Ultraman, Ultraseven), I'm hoping for some more '60s and '70s stuff to make it to blu here aside from the occasional Toho film.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Jameron4eva (05-18-2018), Takeshi666 (05-19-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 03:44 PM   #6
Dragon Ranger Dragon Ranger is offline
Power Member
 
Dragon Ranger's Avatar
 
Jan 2015
235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agvd View Post
While I'm thankful for the US DVD releases we've got (e.g., Ultra Q, Ultraman, Ultraseven), I'm hoping for some more '60s and '70s stuff to make it to blu here aside from the occasional Toho film.
Same here; I know Space Sheriff Gavan & Sharivan are out on Blu in Japan as is Goranger and a fair few of the recent Super Sentai series and movies but none of them have Enlgish subs unfortunately.





  Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:45 PM   #7
professorwho professorwho is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
professorwho's Avatar
 
Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA
167
59
Default

I don’t happen to own any of the Shout releases of Super Sentai, but I’m gonna start picking them up starting with Megaranger (one of my favourites). I heard there were some issues with Carranger and the timing of the subtitles, so has Shout ever addressed these issues, and/or offered replacement discs?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:57 PM   #8
Dragon Ranger Dragon Ranger is offline
Power Member
 
Dragon Ranger's Avatar
 
Jan 2015
235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
I donít happen to own any of the Shout releases of Super Sentai, but Iím gonna start picking them up starting with Megaranger (one of my favourites). I heard there were some issues with Carranger and the timing of the subtitles, so has Shout ever addressed these issues, and/or offered replacement discs?
As far as I am aware they never offered replacement discs; the timing isn't hugely off or too frequent. It didn't affect my enjoyment of the series. Though it's probably my least favourite of the box sets released so far. The humour was enjoyable most of the time but kind of neutered any sense of drama. I suppose it's the Thor Ragnarok of Super Sentai.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:52 PM   #9
willtopower willtopower is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
willtopower's Avatar
 
Apr 2014
California
1377
44
38
Default

Hyped for Jetman. I've lagged a bit with the releases and haven't been able to catch up! Three behind so I better get back on the wagon to pick up the slack.
Kakuranger was next on my watchlist, but I think I will bump Jetman up because I've been wanting to watch that one for a long time.

Super Sentai all started with Power Rangers for me. When I rewatched Power Rangers as an adult and found out how to get some super sentai, I was hooked. Of course, I can't think of any tokusatsu I *don't* like...

Tokusatsu offers a very unique and special type of art form for me. It's the kind of verisimilitude only tapped into with practical effects like Jim Henson stuff here in the states. It lets you have fantasy and real-life at the same time in some ways. When I watch this stuff I still get the genuine feeling of wonder I got as a kid.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:12 AM   #10
Dragon Ranger Dragon Ranger is offline
Power Member
 
Dragon Ranger's Avatar
 
Jan 2015
235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willtopower View Post
Hyped for Jetman. I've lagged a bit with the releases and haven't been able to catch up! Three behind so I better get back on the wagon to pick up the slack.
Kakuranger was next on my watchlist, but I think I will bump Jetman up because I've been wanting to watch that one for a long time.

Super Sentai all started with Power Rangers for me. When I rewatched Power Rangers as an adult and found out how to get some super sentai, I was hooked. Of course, I can't think of any tokusatsu I *don't* like...

Tokusatsu offers a very unique and special type of art form for me. It's the kind of verisimilitude only tapped into with practical effects like Jim Henson stuff here in the states. It lets you have fantasy and real-life at the same time in some ways. When I watch this stuff I still get the genuine feeling of wonder I got as a kid.
That's very well put about how it is a unique and special kind of art form. I agree about the lineage with Jim Henson Productions and here in the UK I would relate it to the Supermarionation work of Gerry Anderson particularly in the use of vehicles/miniatures etc.

I would definitely recommend you put Jetman at the top of your watch list; it's one of the best Sentai I have seen. Curious to know which series people have watched so I will start a list of the ones I have seen so far.

Super Sentai:

Zyuranger
Jetman
Ohranger
Dairanger
Gokaiger
Toqger
Kyuranger
Gaoranger
Kakuranger
Carranger
Go-Busters

Metal Heroes:

Space Sheriff Gavan


Godzilla movies:

Godzilla
King Kong vs Godzilla
Son of Godzilla
Godzilla vs Megalon
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla
Terror of Mechagodzilla
Giant Monsters All Out Attack
Godzilla against Mechagodzilla
Godzilla Tokyo S.O.S.
Godzilla Final Wars
Godzilla USA 1998
Godzilla USA 2014

Power Rangers

Mighty Morphin
Alien Rangers
Zeo
Turbo
In Space
Lost Galaxy
Lightspeed Rescue
Time Force
Wild Force
Dino Thunder
SPD
Mystic Force
RPM
Megaforce
Super Megaforce
Dino Charge
The Movie 1995
Turbo Movie
The Movie 2017

VR Troopers

Season 1 & 2



Currently watching:


Kyuranger
Lupinranger VS Patranger
Space Sheriff Gavan
Power Rangers Ninja Storm

Last edited by Dragon Ranger; 05-18-2018 at 08:45 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:38 AM   #11
professorwho professorwho is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
professorwho's Avatar
 
Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA
167
59
Default

I see you didn't include Kamen Rider. While I haven't seen one yet, I'm gonna start KR Black shortly, as it appears to be the fan favourite. Though, some of the newer titles like 555 (pronounced Fiez, I think?) look pretty cool.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:27 AM   #12
Jameron4eva Jameron4eva is offline
Active Member
 
Jameron4eva's Avatar
 
Feb 2017
243
16
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agvd View Post
While I'm thankful for the US DVD releases we've got (e.g., Ultra Q, Ultraman, Ultraseven), I'm hoping for some more '60s and '70s stuff to make it to blu here aside from the occasional Toho film.
Or if Nothing else, SDBD for improved audio, and possibly a better image of the sd content, plus,cutting down on discs would be a great way to cheaply, and quickly get them out. Lazy yes, but unless you want to sink TOS/TNG levels of time and $$$ into updating EVERYTHING from whatever source remains....
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:43 AM   #13
Dragon Ranger Dragon Ranger is offline
Power Member
 
Dragon Ranger's Avatar
 
Jan 2015
235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
I see you didn't include Kamen Rider. While I haven't seen one yet, I'm gonna start KR Black shortly, as it appears to be the fan favourite. Though, some of the newer titles like 555 (pronounced Fiez, I think?) look pretty cool.
I really need to get into Kamen Rider and Black is the series I am leaning towards. I watched Masked Rider back in the 90's but in no way consider that a fair representation of Kamen!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:45 AM   #14
Dragon Ranger Dragon Ranger is offline
Power Member
 
Dragon Ranger's Avatar
 
Jan 2015
235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameron4eva View Post
Or if Nothing else, SDBD for improved audio, and possibly a better image of the sd content, plus,cutting down on discs would be a great way to cheaply, and quickly get them out. Lazy yes, but unless you want to sink TOS/TNG levels of time and $$$ into updating EVERYTHING from whatever source remains....
Agreed; the Mighty Morphin DVD's look pretty poor, especially season one. I would happily take SD on Blu ray discs with better image quality.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:00 AM   #15
Takeshi666 Takeshi666 is offline
Special Member
 
Takeshi666's Avatar
 
Oct 2011
Suomi Finland Perkele
234
15
Default

I've watched Kamen Rider! The original!

That's about it, actually. I know Godzilla is technically toku, I'm not including it because I tend to reserve the term for masked heroes stuff.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:19 AM   #16
Dragon Ranger Dragon Ranger is offline
Power Member
 
Dragon Ranger's Avatar
 
Jan 2015
235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeshi666 View Post
I've watched Kamen Rider! The original!

That's about it, actually. I know Godzilla is technically toku, I'm not including it because I tend to reserve the term for masked heroes stuff.
Which Kamen Rider have you watched? Any recommendations?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:22 AM   #17
Dragon Ranger Dragon Ranger is offline
Power Member
 
Dragon Ranger's Avatar
 
Jan 2015
235
Default

Toho executive Keiji Ota: "The future of the series and its forwarding developments are very conscious of the method of "shared universe". Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah, etc. could all share a single world view much like a Marvel movie where Iron Man and the Hulk can crossover with each other. It is said that each movie can be a possible film production where any one of them could lead a film of their own as the titular character."

Seems that TOHO have been doing 'shared universe' since the 60's anyway with Destroy all Monsters and even more recent productions such as Godzilla Final Wars so not sure why they are making such a big deal out of this.

Thoughts from fellow forum users welcome.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Professor Knowby (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 11:34 AM   #18
Dragon Ranger Dragon Ranger is offline
Power Member
 
Dragon Ranger's Avatar
 
Jan 2015
235
Default

Exciting update for the upcoming Godzilla: King of the Monsters (thanks to fellow forum user Himmel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himmel View Post
Godzilla: King Of The Monsters Marketing Has Officially Begun!


  Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:12 PM   #19
Professor Knowby Professor Knowby is offline
Member
 
Professor Knowby's Avatar
 
Aug 2014
1360
363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Ranger View Post
Toho executive Keiji Ota: "The future of the series and its forwarding developments are very conscious of the method of "shared universe". Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah, etc. could all share a single world view much like a Marvel movie where Iron Man and the Hulk can crossover with each other. It is said that each movie can be a possible film production where any one of them could lead a film of their own as the titular character."

Seems that TOHO have been doing 'shared universe' since the 60's anyway with Destroy all Monsters and even more recent productions such as Godzilla Final Wars so not sure why they are making such a big deal out of this.

Thoughts from fellow forum users welcome.
I'm really excited by this news! As long as it means more movies with real monster suits, model cities, etc. then I'm all in I loved Shin Godzilla because of how authentic the special effects felt, and honestly found the 2014 Godzilla film to be a bit of a bore, visually (and narratively).

I love the movies director Michael Dougherty has made so far, so I'm really looking forward to Godzilla: King of the Monsters, but there's something... idk, charmless(?) when these monsters are recreated by a big budget studio with perfect looking CGI (hot take, I know )

It does seems a little odd that Toho would try to act like this is a new thing when they were one of the earliest studios to do a shared series, but I get it from a marketing standpoint.

On a side note, I have the first 8 Gamera films coming in the mail today and I'm really looking forward to binging them all soon. Does anyone have any recommendations for other giant monster/Kaiju films outside of the Godzilla and Gamera series? I loved watching the first couple Super Sentai releases from Shout! Factory, and was thinking of trying out an Ultraman series, but not sure what would be the best place to start. The crazier/zanier stuff, the better!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:56 AM   #20
Dragon Ranger Dragon Ranger is offline
Power Member
 
Dragon Ranger's Avatar
 
Jan 2015
235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Knowby View Post
I'm really excited by this news! As long as it means more movies with real monster suits, model cities, etc. then I'm all in I loved Shin Godzilla because of how authentic the special effects felt, and honestly found the 2014 Godzilla film to be a bit of a bore, visually (and narratively).

I love the movies director Michael Dougherty has made so far, so I'm really looking forward to Godzilla: King of the Monsters, but there's something... idk, charmless(?) when these monsters are recreated by a big budget studio with perfect looking CGI (hot take, I know )

It does seems a little odd that Toho would try to act like this is a new thing when they were one of the earliest studios to do a shared series, but I get it from a marketing standpoint.

On a side note, I have the first 8 Gamera films coming in the mail today and I'm really looking forward to binging them all soon. Does anyone have any recommendations for other giant monster/Kaiju films outside of the Godzilla and Gamera series? I loved watching the first couple Super Sentai releases from Shout! Factory, and was thinking of trying out an Ultraman series, but not sure what would be the best place to start. The crazier/zanier stuff, the better!
I enjoyed the Godzilla 2014 movie but I can see why a lot of people have issues with its pacing. The effects work is (mostly) excellent but will never touch the magic of a suit actor trashing unbelievably detailed miniature sets.

I have only seen a few episodes so far but for giant monster action I would recommend Ultraseven which is on DVD. It's not available through Amazon right now but you can get it on the Shout Factory website.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product...roduct_id=1637






Could you post images of your Gamera delivery? Also curious to know where you ordered them from.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Professor Knowby (05-31-2018)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:38 PM.