Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Westworld: Season Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Westworld: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The White Princess (Blu-ray)
$7.99
23 hrs ago
Princess Principal: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
22 hrs ago
Triple Threat (Blu-ray)
$22.27
7 hrs ago
Frame Arms Girl: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Underworld: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.09

If Beale Street Could Talk (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot (Blu-ray)
$15.41

A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Emmanuelle 3 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
27 min ago
Kimagure Orange Road (Blu-ray)
$63.68

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 09-02-2018, 09:58 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2016
Default Please Help with Oppo BDP-83 HDMI Resolution Output Confusion with New UHD TV...

Greetings.

I'm trying to sort out some issues I'm having between my decade-old Oppo BDP-83 BD player and a brand new Samsung NU8000 UHD panel I just acquired; I plan on getting a UHD disc player at some point, but right now I'm using the Oppo for DVD and BD playback on this new display.

With my previous TV, a Sony SXRD rear projection set, I left the Oppo on AUTO output for HDMI resolution (everything is connected via HDMI in my system; audio and video are going from the BDP-83 through an Onkyo 605 for full video passthrough and then off to the display) which fed the Sony a 1080p video signal (always confirmed when I pressed the Sony remote's information button). Now, because that display DIDN'T support 1080p/24 video, I assume the Oppo was sending it 1080p/60 signals when the HDMI output was set to AUTO...

With this new UHD TV, I assume it can display 24fps video, so I have been running the Oppo in "1080p/24 - AUTO" output mode, which seems to send the panel 1080p/24 video (confirmed by getting the resolution information on the Samsung). But is this what I should be keeping the Oppo on for this new TV? Should the HDMI output be set to 1080p/24 FORCED on instead of AUTO? Or should I go back to using FULL AUTO for HDMI output, which would send the Samsung the highest resolution it can accept via EDID handshakes?

Here's the weird thing about all this:

When I first got the Samsung and connected it to the Oppo, I used the same HDMI resolution output: AUTO setting I was using on the previous Sony display, and this would send 1080p/60 to the new panel...but if AUTO is supposed to send the highest resolution the TV can accept, why was it sending 60fps video? Shouldn't it have sent 1080/24?

Can anyone assist with this?
Old 09-02-2018, 10:46 PM   #2
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Auto is fine for Output Resolution, you don't have to force 1080p24. I'd imagine if you select 1080p24 from the Output Resolution sub-menu it's a blanket setting for all content. That affects everything, the separate 1080p24 Output and DVD 24p Conversion are for how the player reacts to Blu-ray and DVD content. The first one detects if the Blu-rays are 24Hz and plays them back as such and the other forces DVDs into 24p.

These settings are used in combination with each other for the advance user, you can press RESOLUTION on the remote and select the different resolutions. You also have to factor in that if you select SOURCE DIRECT, you would have to force 24Hz with DVDs. Or if your TV didn't send a signal accepting 24Hz you'd have to switch 1080p24 Output to On (instead of Auto).

Like I said select Output Resolution to Auto 1080p24 Output to Auto, play a Blu-ray movie if the Samsung says it's 24Hz then great, forget about the settings after that.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:48 PM   #3
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
When I first got the Samsung and connected it to the Oppo, I used the same HDMI resolution output: AUTO setting I was using on the previous Sony display, and this would send 1080p/60 to the new panel...but if AUTO is supposed to send the highest resolution the TV can accept, why was it sending 60fps video? Shouldn't it have sent 1080/24?

Can anyone assist with this?
Was that before the update for the OPPO?
Old 09-02-2018, 10:50 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
Auto is fine for Output Resolution, you don't have to force 1080p24. I'd imagine if you select 1080p24 from the Output Resolution sub-menu it's a blanket setting for all content. That affects everything, the separate 1080p24 Output and DVD 24p Conversion are for how the player reacts to Blu-ray and DVD content. The first one detects if the Blu-rays are 24Hz and plays them back as such and the other forces DVDs into 24p.

These settings are used in combination with each other for the advance user, you can press RESOLUTION on the remote and select the different resolutions. You also have to factor in that if you select SOURCE DIRECT, you would have to force 24Hz with DVDs. Or if your TV didn't send a signal accepting 24Hz you'd have to switch 1080p24 Output to On (instead of Auto).

Like I said select Output Resolution to Auto 1080p24 Output to Auto, play a Blu-ray movie if the Samsung says it's 24Hz then great, forget about the settings after that.
Chip,

I believe you're misunderstanding what I'm saying about the way the selections on the Oppo work -- there is NO "1080p24 AUTO" AND "AUTO" setting that's available at the same time...if I select AUTO output for resolution, it overrides everything and I DON'T get that sub-menu for choosing 24fps options...

So, which is it? Do I leave the player on GENERAL AUTO output or 1080p/24 AUTO?
Old 09-02-2018, 10:50 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2016

Quote:
Was that before the update for the OPPO?
Yes.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:58 PM   #6
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Chip,

I believe you're misunderstanding what I'm saying about the way the selections on the Oppo work -- there is NO "1080p24 AUTO" AND "AUTO" setting that's available at the same time...if I select AUTO output for resolution, it overrides everything and I DON'T get that sub-menu for choosing 24fps options...

So, which is it? Do I leave the player on GENERAL AUTO output or 1080p/24 AUTO?

If you select Auto for the red arrow (Output Resolution) it disables the green arrow's 1080p24 Output's sub-menu?
Old 09-02-2018, 11:00 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2016

Quote:

If you select Auto for the red arrow it disables the green arrow's sub-menu?
Yes -- that's what I'm saying.

You know something, though? Now I have to check if this is PRECISELY what's happening with my player...

I could have SWORN that when I select AUTO from the output menu, the 1080p/24 DOES NOT show...

Let me do some tests and get back to you...
Thanks given by:
chip75 (09-02-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 05:34 AM   #8

Oct 2011
Greater Cincy

I had this unit and new 4K panny. If I remember right, when you select "source direct" from the resolution menu then 1080/24 is disabled. But you could still select Auto in resolution and then pick Auto, On, or Off for 1080/24. I found that Auto then Auto worked for me. But I'd say that this relies on the TV being able to tell the player that it supports this format. I could see the older player and a newer TV now or at some point maybe not communicating that information between them.
Thanks given by:
IntelliVolume (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 08:03 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmitdan View Post
I had this unit and new 4K panny. If I remember right, when you select "source direct" from the resolution menu then 1080/24 is disabled. But you could still select Auto in resolution and then pick Auto, On, or Off for 1080/24. I found that Auto then Auto worked for me. But I'd say that this relies on the TV being able to tell the player that it supports this format. I could see the older player and a newer TV now or at some point maybe not communicating that information between them.
Thanks for your reply, varmit!

If you had a new 4K Panasonic, you're probably not in the States...am I correct?

As for Source Direct -- I don't leave the player on this setting because I use its internal Anchor Bay processor (via an HDMI connection) for the outstanding DVD upconversion it performs. And your sentiment that you could still select AUTO for resolution AND then select AUTO for 1080/24 output is correct -- this is something I tested last night before watching the Blu-ray of Captain America: Civil War, and something I was discussing with Chip above. I have to update that for him...

Here's the thing, though: On my last display, a Sony SXRD 1080p TV, when I selected AUTO for general resolution, I believe this GREYED OUT the 1080/24 option so I wasn't able to see it or use it...this is probably because the display didn't accept 24fps video (which I knew), but I think you're correct in that this, being an old Blu-ray player now, may have some issues "picking up" EDID information from new UHD TVs (when I first got my Samsung, I used AUTO resolution from the Oppo, which seemed to send 1080p/60 video to the new display...this tells me that there is a handshaking issue going on).

Last edited by IntelliVolume; 09-03-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:10 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2016

Okay Chip:

Before I threw in the BD of Captain America: Civil War last night, I checked that setting in the Oppo menu -- indeed, I can confirm that I AM getting TWO options for OUTPUT RESOLUTION and then 1080p24 OUTPUT, but I don't believe the 24fps option was there with my old display (I'll get to that in a sec)...

When I went into the menu and switched the HDMI RESOLUTION setting to full AUTO, the player did the blank screen thing while it changed parameters, and I was able to then select 1080p/24 to AUTO, as well...so I was mistaken about what the player is doing with all this...

However, here's what bothers me (and this touches on what I mentioned above): When connected to my previous display, I could SWEAR the Oppo DID NOT give me that 1080p24 output setting option -- I swear it was greyed out or just not available to see at all on the screen. Is this possibly because the player was being told the display definitely did not handle 24fps video?

So now, I'm leaving my selections as follows (and please let me know if this is correct):

HDMI Resolution: Auto
1080p24 Output: Auto
DVD 24fps: Off

Again, though, this is what bothers me: When I first connected the BDP-83 to the Samsung, I was using AUTO resolution with NO 1080p24 setting engaged...when I did this, the Samsung claimed it was getting 1080p60 video, but why would this happen if the TV CAN accept 1080p24? Is it because the 24fps setting in the player was switched OFF?
Old 09-03-2018, 08:27 PM   #11
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
However, here's what bothers me (and this touches on what I mentioned above): When connected to my previous display, I could SWEAR the Oppo DID NOT give me that 1080p24 output setting option -- I swear it was greyed out or just not available to see at all on the screen. Is this possibly because the player was being told the display definitely did not handle 24fps video?
It's possible, but I honestly don't know, all of my displays have been able to handle 24Hz. The OPPO might disable the option, but I'm not 100%.

Quote:
Again, though, this is what bothers me: When I first connected the BDP-83 to the Samsung, I was using AUTO resolution with NO 1080p24 setting engaged...when I did this, the Samsung claimed it was getting 1080p60 video, but why would this happen if the TV CAN accept 1080p24? Is it because the 24fps setting in the player was switched OFF?
It might have outputted 1080p60 before the update or the setting might have been disable. If it's outputting 1080p24 now I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks given by:
Old 09-03-2018, 08:39 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2016

Quote:
It's possible, but I honestly don't know, all of my displays have been able to handle 24Hz. The OPPO might disable the option, but I'm not 100%.
Yeah; the Sony SXRD rear projection display was from 2008 or so and didn't accept 24Hz video (but it was a 1080p native television). From what I understand, the Oppo, on AUTO resolution output, was sending it 1080/60 video because it didn't accept the 24 variant...

Quote:
It might have outputted 1080p60 before the update or the setting might have been disable. If it's outputting 1080p24 now I wouldn't worry about it.
That's possible (that it was occurring before the update); after all, the update was supposed to fix some issues between UHD displays and this old Blu-ray unit. Could it have possibly been a handshaking hiccup wherein the Samsung just wasn't telling the Oppo that it could accept 24fps video when resolution was set to auto?

As for the settings I mentioned in the previous post in bold -- are these correct?

*FWIW, Civil War looked fine with no video problems at all that I could see...
Old 09-03-2018, 09:02 PM   #13
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Quote:
That's possible (that it was occurring before the update); after all, the update was supposed to fix some issues between UHD displays and this old Blu-ray unit. Could it have possibly been a handshaking hiccup wherein the Samsung just wasn't telling the Oppo that it could accept 24fps video when resolution was set to auto?
It's possible, it depends on what the update did and what options where selected.

Quote:
As for the settings I mentioned in the previous post in bold -- are these correct?
They're fine. If you're enjoying smooth playback in 1080p24 then there's nothing to worry about.
Thanks given by:
Old 09-03-2018, 09:07 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2016

Quote:
It's possible, it depends on what the update did and what options where selected.

They're fine. If you're enjoying smooth playback in 1080p24 then there's nothing to worry about.
I'm just the type of person that likes to know -- in this hobby, specifically -- why something happened the way it did, and what makes a particular setting "right" for my setup and such...

That being said, can you explain what the two auto settings are actually DOING in my system...and why they're correct? Would it be "better," for example, to leave Output Resolution at 1080p (forced) as well as 1080p/24 (forced), or not? Why are the two "auto" selections a good bet?
Old 09-03-2018, 10:05 PM   #15
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
That being said, can you explain what the two auto settings are actually DOING in my system...and why they're correct? Would it be "better," for example, to leave Output Resolution at 1080p (forced) as well as 1080p/24 (forced), or not? Why are the two "auto" selections a good bet?
1080p24 Output Auto - Video encoded in 24Hz will be output at 24Hz if the TV supports that signal. It's usually a better bet than On because that forces 24Hz content into 24Hz and that can sometimes cause issues (sometimes you do need to force it with some display).

Output Resolution - Auto checks to see what best signal the TV can display.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:51 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2016

Quote:
1080p24 Output Auto - Video encoded in 24Hz will be output at 24Hz if the TV supports that signal. It's usually a better bet than On because that forces 24Hz content into 24Hz and that can sometimes cause issues (sometimes you do need to force it with some display).
Don't you mean ON forces 60Hz content into 24Hz?

Quote:
Output Resolution - Auto checks to see what best signal the TV can display.
So this is why AUTO is good for both?
Old 09-03-2018, 11:26 PM   #17
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Don't you mean ON forces 60Hz content into 24Hz?
No, On forces 24Hz content regardless of whether the display sends a signal confirming it supports 24Hz. It doesn't convert 60Hz into 24Hz.

24Hz material is only outputted or converted to 60Hz if you don't enable 1080p24 Output or Source Direct.

Quote:
So this is why AUTO is good for both?
Generally, yes.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:45 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2016

Quote:
No, On forces 24Hz content regardless of whether the display sends a signal confirming it supports 24Hz. It doesn't convert 60Hz into 24Hz.

24Hz material is only outputted or converted to 60Hz if you don't enable 1080p24 Output or Source Direct.
Oh...because you said:

It's usually a better bet than On because that forces 24Hz content into 24Hz

...and I didn't understand what you meant by "that forces 24Hz content INTO 24Hz"....

Quote:
Generally, yes.
Thanks; I'm still having two other "issues" with the panel that I can't seem to get any feedback on. For one, I am still getting that little green flickering square in the bottom right corner of the screen on CERTAIN cable channels only...this is after I chose "FIT TO SCREEN: OFF" (so overscan is engaged to cover the little box) and also tried "FIT TO SCREEN: AUTO." Here's the thing I noted: When I land on one of the channels this little green box is on and attempt to zoom the screen via my cable box remote, the box disappears -- which means it's some kind of "transmission garbage" being generated from these channels, not the television. What is this coming from, and how come overscan doesn't erase it?

Also -- I'm still having that little issue of the incoming resolution information indicating the last resolution the display received when I first turn the display on and go into an input. Even if a source is NOT yet turned on -- like the cable box or Blu-ray player -- the Samsung indicates on the top of its screen that the resolution is either "1080i/60" (cable) or "1080p/24" (Blu-ray)...is this just because the display is remembering the last resolution displayed for this input?

I know you and I had discussed this in a previous chat in the Samsung Custom Settings area and that you had mentioned that the information box SHOULD ideally indicate NO resolution when a source isn't turned on, and this is why it's concerning me...how do I know the panel is actually giving me correct incoming resolution information?
Old 09-03-2018, 11:51 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2016

Also, Chip:

With regard to the "FIT TO SCREEN: AUTO" setting I mentioned above, what does this AUTO setting actually do? How does the panel determine in an automatic fashion which program material should be receiving overscan and which shouldn't? Is this the correct setting for FIT TO SCREEN?

When I watch films on disc -- whether Blu-rays or DVDs -- I actually PREFER overscan for one reason: I happen to like the letterboxing of scope films (2.35:1/2.40:1) to be REDUCED a little bit (which overscan does) rather than the black areas be INCREASED -- and, on the "matted" style widescreen films (1.85:1/1.78:1 et al), I prefer that these fill the screen from overscan rather than play back with the tiny letterboxing areas...if that makes any sense.

For these reasons, I have left FIT TO SCREEN off on the Blu-ray player input, but what are your thoughts on what this AUTO setting does?
Old 09-04-2018, 02:23 AM   #20

Oct 2011
Greater Cincy

Quote:
Thanks for your reply, varmit!

If you had a new 4K Panasonic, you're probably not in the States...am I correct?
Sorry, I was up too late after working a double. What I meant to say was when I went from a Panny plasma to a new 4K LG.
As far as your issue, from what I read, chip has as good an understanding of it as I do. I dont have anything to add. It makes me want to go back and start playing with with it though. I guess I didnt have entirely the same issues when I first hooked it up. I definitely didnt have any green cubes. I cant imagine what that was about. I dont have the old TV any more to switch back an forth and test some stuff. If I can figure a way, I will post back. Good Luck in the meantime.
Thanks given by:
IntelliVolume (09-04-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders