Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Westworld: Season Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Westworld: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
The White Princess (Blu-ray)
$7.99
6 hrs ago
If Beale Street Could Talk (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Underworld: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.09
 
Gotham: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot (Blu-ray)
$15.41
 
A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Frame Arms Girl: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$15.99
7 hrs ago
Dragon Ball Super: Broly (Blu-ray)
$22.99
 
Scream and Scream Again (Blu-ray)
$19.98
4 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2018, 03:11 PM   #21
chip75 chip75 is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
chip75's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Wales
1996
2043
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Oh...because you said:

It's usually a better bet than On because that forces 24Hz content into 24Hz

...and I didn't understand what you meant by "that forces 24Hz content INTO 24Hz"....
As I said 1080p24 Output - Auto outputs 24Hz material if the TV accepts the signal, if it doesn't accept the signal it sends 50/60Hz. On doesn't convert 24Hz material it just sends it to the television regardless, whether the TV can accept it or not. The issue with On is that as the 24Hz is been sent without knowing if the TV can display 24Hz material it can cause problems.

Off is the only setting that converts 24Hz regardless of the display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
I'm still having two other "issues" with the panel that I can't seem to get any feedback on. For one, I am still getting that little green flickering square in the bottom right corner of the screen on CERTAIN cable channels only...this is after I chose "FIT TO SCREEN: OFF" (so overscan is engaged to cover the little box) and also tried "FIT TO SCREEN: AUTO." Here's the thing I noted: When I land on one of the channels this little green box is on and attempt to zoom the screen via my cable box remote, the box disappears -- which means it's some kind of "transmission garbage" being generated from these channels, not the television. What is this coming from, and how come overscan doesn't erase it?
If it's not an issue with the TV then you'd have to contact your provider, but it's probably just inside the TV safe zone guides. You could try zooming in a bit more for those particular channels, but if you're losing more than 10% of the picture, I'd contact your provider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Also -- I'm still having that little issue of the incoming resolution information indicating the last resolution the display received when I first turn the display on and go into an input. Even if a source is NOT yet turned on -- like the cable box or Blu-ray player -- the Samsung indicates on the top of its screen that the resolution is either "1080i/60" (cable) or "1080p/24" (Blu-ray)...is this just because the display is remembering the last resolution displayed for this input?
It's quite possible. Did you try removing the HDMI leads and then turning the TV on and switch between inputs? Are the last inputs still displayed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
I know you and I had discussed this in a previous chat in the Samsung Custom Settings area and that you had mentioned that the information box SHOULD ideally indicate NO resolution when a source isn't turned on, and this is why it's concerning me...how do I know the panel is actually giving me correct incoming resolution information?
It should be blank, but it might just be a quirk to that model. The firmware update might fix the issue.

There's nothing to suggest that the information isn't correct.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:41 PM   #22
chip75 chip75 is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
chip75's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Wales
1996
2043
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
With regard to the "FIT TO SCREEN: AUTO" setting I mentioned above, what does this AUTO setting actually do? How does the panel determine in an automatic fashion which program material should be receiving overscan and which shouldn't? Is this the correct setting for FIT TO SCREEN?
I'm not sure if the Fit to Screen options engages overscan, unless the device prohibits 1:1. It usually checks the flag of the content and adjusts automatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
When I watch films on disc -- whether Blu-rays or DVDs -- I actually PREFER overscan for one reason: I happen to like the letterboxing of scope films (2.35:1/2.40:1) to be REDUCED a little bit (which overscan does) rather than the black areas be INCREASED -- and, on the "matted" style widescreen films (1.85:1/1.78:1 et al), I prefer that these fill the screen from overscan rather than play back with the tiny letterboxing areas...if that makes any sense.

For these reasons, I have left FIT TO SCREEN off on the Blu-ray player input, but what are your thoughts on what this AUTO setting does?
It's worth using Fit to Screen with 1.78:1 content as this doesn't have any letterboxing, so you're just cutting off parts of the image.

As I said Auto should detect the flag of the content and adjust accordingly (usually this will be for 4:3 and 16:9 content) as well as applying overscan if the signal doesn't allow 1:1.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:14 PM   #23
IntelliVolume IntelliVolume is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
May 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmitdan View Post
Sorry, I was up too late after working a double.
No problem.

Quote:
What I meant to say was when I went from a Panny plasma to a new 4K LG.
As far as your issue, from what I read, chip has as good an understanding of it as I do. I dont have anything to add. It makes me want to go back and start playing with with it though. I guess I didnt have entirely the same issues when I first hooked it up. I definitely didnt have any green cubes. I cant imagine what that was about. I dont have the old TV any more to switch back an forth and test some stuff. If I can figure a way, I will post back. Good Luck in the meantime.
Thanks; yeah, I don't know what I'm gonna do about the green cube on certain channels. It's pretty annoying, but I can't get any answers on it. I know it WASN'T there on my last display, connected to the same cable box...
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:22 PM   #24
IntelliVolume IntelliVolume is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
May 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
As I said 1080p24 Output - Auto outputs 24Hz material if the TV accepts the signal, if it doesn't accept the signal it sends 50/60Hz. On doesn't convert 24Hz material it just sends it to the television regardless, whether the TV can accept it or not. The issue with On is that as the 24Hz is been sent without knowing if the TV can display 24Hz material it can cause problems.

Off is the only setting that converts 24Hz regardless of the display.
Here's what Oppo had to say about all this; can you tell me if you concur or disagree?

Unfortunately we do not know how 1080p/24Hz Output was grayed out when you were using the previous television, because this is a forced setting that does not rely on EDID handshakes to be enabled. This setitng should have been available on your 1080p television.

If you had set 1080p/24Hz Output to Off, then the player would have always output 24Hz, regardless of the source.

Sorry, this should have been ON, not OFF. If you have it set to ON then the player outputs 1080p/24Hz from 24Hz source regardless of the television's capabilities.

If you have the player set to 1080p/24Hz Output of Auto and the player's Output Resolution of Auto then the player will output 1080p/24Hz for Blu-rays which are 24Hz based and output 50Hz or 60Hz for anything else.

When AUTO is selected the player is selecting the base resolution, not the output frequency. So AUTO will select 480i/576i, 480p/576p, 720p, 1080i or 1080p. The output frequency (24Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz) is determined by several factors, such as the TV System (50Hz or 60Hz) and what you have 1080p/24Hz Output and DVD 24p Conversion set to.

So an AUTO setting would always choose 1080p output in your case, but the other settings, like 1080p/24Hz Output, would determine if the output was 24Hz or 50/60Hz based.


To be honest, all this is getting a bit confusing; with my previous display, I simply left output resolution to AUTO with nothing else engaged...

Quote:
If it's not an issue with the TV then you'd have to contact your provider, but it's probably just inside the TV safe zone guides. You could try zooming in a bit more for those particular channels, but if you're losing more than 10% of the picture, I'd contact your provider.
The thing is, I don't want to have to zoom in on those channels, and I confirmed that it doesn't seem to be an issue with the Samsung because the box disappears when I zoom in on those stations.

Here's something that MAY be related: In my last setup, though I was using the same HD cable box, I had the box connected via component cables (for 1080i transmission) and now I'm running HDMI out of the box to the Samsung (the display doesn't allow for analog connections of any kind)...could a cable introduce such a video glitch?

Quote:
It's quite possible. Did you try removing the HDMI leads and then turning the TV on and switch between inputs? Are the last inputs still displayed?
I didn't try removing the cable leads...

Quote:
It should be blank, but it might just be a quirk to that model. The firmware update might fix the issue.

There's nothing to suggest that the information isn't correct.
Why I suspected that I wouldn't be able to trust the resolution information on the screen was because if it's ALWAYS reading 1080i/1080p (depending on the input), maybe it's just "stuck" on those numbers and not really detecting the right incoming res...does that make any sense?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:28 PM   #25
IntelliVolume IntelliVolume is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
May 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
I'm not sure if the Fit to Screen options engages overscan, unless the device prohibits 1:1. It usually checks the flag of the content and adjusts automatically.



It's worth using Fit to Screen with 1.78:1 content as this doesn't have any letterboxing, so you're just cutting off parts of the image.

As I said Auto should detect the flag of the content and adjust accordingly (usually this will be for 4:3 and 16:9 content) as well as applying overscan if the signal doesn't allow 1:1.
Fit to Screen, as I understand it, controls the overscan mapping algorithm -- so if it's ON, it REMOVES overscan so 1:1 mapping (pixel for pixel) can be applied. However, in MY particular case with MY specific preferences, I don't care for 1.85 or 1.78 films exhibiting any letterboxing, as small as it may be, and I don't like the massive letterboxing areas exhibited on 2.35 and 2.40 transfers when overscan is removed...so I tend to keep FIT TO SCREEN turned OFF for the Blu-ray input so that I get overscan applied to films on disc...

I just don't understand what the AUTO option does; would this apply overscan as the display "sees fit"? And what does that mean; what is it basing it on?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:46 PM   #26
chip75 chip75 is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
chip75's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Wales
1996
2043
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Here's what Oppo had to say about all this; can you tell me if you concur or disagree?

Quote:
Unfortunately we do not know how 1080p/24Hz Output was grayed out when you were using the previous television, because this is a forced setting that does not rely on EDID handshakes to be enabled. This setitng should have been available on your 1080p television.

If you had set 1080p/24Hz Output to Off, then the player would have always output 24Hz, regardless of the source.

Sorry, this should have been ON, not OFF. If you have it set to ON then the player outputs 1080p/24Hz from 24Hz source regardless of the television's capabilities.

If you have the player set to 1080p/24Hz Output of Auto and the player's Output Resolution of Auto then the player will output 1080p/24Hz for Blu-rays which are 24Hz based and output 50Hz or 60Hz for anything else.

When AUTO is selected the player is selecting the base resolution, not the output frequency. So AUTO will select 480i/576i, 480p/576p, 720p, 1080i or 1080p. The output frequency (24Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz) is determined by several factors, such as the TV System (50Hz or 60Hz) and what you have 1080p/24Hz Output and DVD 24p Conversion set to.

So an AUTO setting would always choose 1080p output in your case, but the other settings, like 1080p/24Hz Output, would determine if the output was 24Hz or 50/60Hz based.
To be honest, all this is getting a bit confusing; with my previous display, I simply left output resolution to AUTO with nothing else engaged...
I agree, we're saying the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Here's something that MAY be related: In my last setup, though I was using the same HD cable box, I had the box connected via component cables (for 1080i transmission) and now I'm running HDMI out of the box to the Samsung (the display doesn't allow for analog connections of any kind)...could a cable introduce such a video glitch?
Have you tried running your cable box through your Onkyo? I'd imagine the issue is there as well. I don't think it's an HDMI cable issue, usually they're sort of sporadic and random.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
I didn't try removing the cable leads...
It's worth popping them out and restarting the TV. But even if the TV is remembering what was last inputted, I don't think it's too serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Why I suspected that I wouldn't be able to trust the resolution information on the screen was because if it's ALWAYS reading 1080i/1080p (depending on the input), maybe it's just "stuck" on those numbers and not really detecting the right incoming res...does that make any sense?
Easy to test. Switch on SOURCE DIRECT with your OPPO and playback some BDs and DVDs and check the info with the Samsung. If it's changing you know it's correct.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:55 PM   #27
IntelliVolume IntelliVolume is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
May 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
I agree, we're saying the same thing.
With regard to 1080p24 being ON (forced): If I had this setting adjusted this way in the player and my new Samsung didn't accept 24Hz video, there wouldn't be anything on the screen, correct? It would be BLANK? Is that what you originally meant by "problems"?

So AUTO makes sense in my case, or should I leave 1080/24 ON?

Quote:
Have you tried running your cable box through your Onkyo? I'd imagine the issue is there as well. I don't think it's an HDMI cable issue, usually they're sort of sporadic and random.
I didn't try running the cable box through the receiver; I figured I would just mention that I was using component cables in my last setup (with the Sony and this cable box) and now I'm using HDMI as perhaps there was some factor there...

Quote:
It's worth popping them out and restarting the TV. But even if the TV is remembering what was last inputted, I don't think it's too serious.
No, that's not serious at all; I was just concerned that the incoming resolution information screen was being kind of "locked" or "stuck" on that information, which would mean I couldn't trust what it was saying for actual incoming data, which leads me to...

Quote:
Easy to test. Switch on SOURCE DIRECT with your OPPO and playback some BDs and DVDs and check the info with the Samsung. If it's changing you know it's correct.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:19 PM   #28
chip75 chip75 is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
chip75's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Wales
1996
2043
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Fit to Screen, as I understand it, controls the overscan mapping algorithm -- so if it's ON, it REMOVES overscan so 1:1 mapping (pixel for pixel) can be applied. However, in MY particular case with MY specific preferences, I don't care for 1.85 or 1.78 films exhibiting any letterboxing, as small as it may be, and I don't like the massive letterboxing areas exhibited on 2.35 and 2.40 transfers when overscan is removed...so I tend to keep FIT TO SCREEN turned OFF for the Blu-ray input so that I get overscan applied to films on disc...
Generally Fit to Screen or 1:1 options read the flags of the content and display accordingly. Overscan would only be applied if the input signal didn't allow 1:1, but the option might be disabled anyway.

Auto and On are basically the same thing with the Samsung, Auto will display everything it can in 1:1 and On will do the same, but it will probably remove overscan on content which Auto doesn't detect. But considering everything you watch is from HDMI sources Auto and On should yield the same results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
I just don't understand what the AUTO option does; would this apply overscan as the display "sees fit"? And what does that mean; what is it basing it on?
In most cases your devices are sending 1920 x 1080 content to the TV. Fit to Screen will just display all of this content if enabled and upscale it to 3840 x 2160. If overscan is introduced it will crop the edges of the input and then upscale it (or vice versa).

As far as I know Auto won't apply overscan unless the the option isn't supported (depending on the Picture Size setting) or you're watching through the TV's tuner.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:26 PM   #29
chip75 chip75 is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
chip75's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Wales
1996
2043
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
With regard to 1080p24 being ON (forced): If I had this setting adjusted this way in the player and my new Samsung didn't accept 24Hz video, there wouldn't be anything on the screen, correct? It would be BLANK? Is that what you originally meant by "problems"?
It depends on the display, but you'd either see a blank screen or an "out of range" message or something similar. Problems sometimes arise with 24Hz material and some displays, it just doesn't run smoothly with some, so forcing it would be a problem. As we've said you want the panel to refresh at some multiple of 24Hz and not all of them do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
So AUTO makes sense in my case, or should I leave 1080/24 ON?
Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
I didn't try running the cable box through the receiver; I figured I would just mention that I was using component cables in my last setup (with the Sony and this cable box) and now I'm using HDMI as perhaps there was some factor there...
I think it's just station junk, but you can experiment running the cable box through the receiver with component leads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
No, that's not serious at all; I was just concerned that the incoming resolution information screen was being kind of "locked" or "stuck" on that information, which would mean I couldn't trust what it was saying for actual incoming data, which leads me to...
That quick test will tell you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:17 PM   #30
IntelliVolume IntelliVolume is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
May 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
It depends on the display, but you'd either see a blank screen or an "out of range" message or something similar. Problems sometimes arise with 24Hz material and some displays, it just doesn't run smoothly with some, so forcing it would be a problem. As we've said you want the panel to refresh at some multiple of 24Hz and not all of them do.



Auto.
Does my Samsung NU8000 even support 24Hz video from Blu-ray Discs?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:22 AM   #31
solarrdadd solarrdadd is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Virginia
255
1261
4
42
316
Default

Do you plan on buying a 4K UHD player for your sweet 4K tv?

Have you not looked at the manual for your 4K tv? Didn't think there is a 4K tv that doesn't support 24hz, but get back to us after you read that manual for supported input signals.

I'm happy your still getting use from your 83.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:51 AM   #32
IntelliVolume IntelliVolume is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
May 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
Do you plan on buying a 4K UHD player for your sweet 4K tv?

Have you not looked at the manual for your 4K tv? Didn't think there is a 4K tv that doesn't support 24hz, but get back to us after you read that manual for supported input signals.

I'm happy your still getting use from your 83.
Do you think I'd be asking all these things if I didn't scour the manual?

The "manual" for these new Samsungs (don't know if it's the same way with the other brands) is absolutely useless; the TV came with like a three-page basic dio-rama of how to unpack it and put the stand together, as well as basic power-up instructions, and there's even an area that suggests following the TV's on-screen instructions for setup. Essentially, I had to figure out what everything does on my own...

That being said, I figured that most UHD displays today would support 24Hz video, but I just wanted to be absolutely sure (heck, my SXRD didn't).

Speaking of which, I don't see your 55" SXRD in your sig anymore...you replaced it with a TCL 65 incher?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:50 AM   #33
solarrdadd solarrdadd is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Virginia
255
1261
4
42
316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Do you think I'd be asking all these things if I didn't scour the manual?

The "manual" for these new Samsungs (don't know if it's the same way with the other brands) is absolutely useless; the TV came with like a three-page basic dio-rama of how to unpack it and put the stand together, as well as basic power-up instructions, and there's even an area that suggests following the TV's on-screen instructions for setup. Essentially, I had to figure out what everything does on my own...

That being said, I figured that most UHD displays today would support 24Hz video, but I just wanted to be absolutely sure (heck, my SXRD didn't).

Speaking of which, I don't see your 55" SXRD in your sig anymore...you replaced it with a TCL 65 incher?
yes, almost all LED's for years support 24hz to include your 4K.

as for the SXRD, yes, I sold it to a friend of my Daughter who at her job. they wanted it and they came over, auditioned it and loved the picture. I sold them the tv, the stand it was on, 2 brand new complete lamps (in enclosures), 2 hdmi cables and a 1080p appletv with the original manual for the tv for $100

they were very nice people, little money to spend and nice to my Daughter, so, I wanted to help them out and gave them a great deal. they love the appletv and watch plenty of stuff with it on the tv.

yes, as I told you that I would, I did get the 6 series 65R615 from TCL and I am absolutely loving it. Dolby Vision, HDR10, ATMOS (via ARC) Roku Ultra built in. I'm very happy with the TCL brand, as you can see from my sig I own 3 of them. all have a UHD player connected to them. two of them DV and the smallest in my 2 channel setup does HDR10.

how are you liking your Sammy so far? do you have a UHD source to feed it and if so, how does the picture look? how is 4K streaming on the Sammy?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:29 AM   #34
IntelliVolume IntelliVolume is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
May 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
yes, almost all LED's for years support 24hz to include your 4K.


Quote:
as for the SXRD, yes, I sold it to a friend of my Daughter who at her job. they wanted it and they came over, auditioned it and loved the picture. I sold them the tv, the stand it was on, 2 brand new complete lamps (in enclosures), 2 hdmi cables and a 1080p appletv with the original manual for the tv for $100

they were very nice people, little money to spend and nice to my Daughter, so, I wanted to help them out and gave them a great deal. they love the appletv and watch plenty of stuff with it on the tv.
That sounds like a great gesture that you made on your behalf; as for my SXRD, it too has found what I assume to be a good home with someone else, as well, as I gave it to one of the guys who came to our house to modify the entertainment center I talked about. He said his brother was in need of a TV, so as a "tip" for helping me get rid of the set (we were just going to have to leave it outside on the street for someone to take; we had no other use for it) I let him have it. I told him it was going to need a lamp from time to time, and that the set had developed the staining problem.

It was kind of bittersweet to see the SXRD go, as it was our very first HDTV and gave us a decade of viewing pleasure watching DVDs, Blu-rays and cable.

Quote:
yes, as I told you that I would, I did get the 6 series 65R615 from TCL and I am absolutely loving it. Dolby Vision, HDR10, ATMOS (via ARC) Roku Ultra built in. I'm very happy with the TCL brand, as you can see from my sig I own 3 of them. all have a UHD player connected to them. two of them DV and the smallest in my 2 channel setup does HDR10.
Congrats on the TCL; I understand it's an up and coming brand really competing with the big names. Good for you, also, that they support Dolby Vision save for the smaller one in the two-channel setup; my Samsung, per the company's standard, only does HDR10.

Just out of curiosity, why did you need a display in your two-channel setup?

Quote:
how are you liking your Sammy so far? do you have a UHD source to feed it and if so, how does the picture look? how is 4K streaming on the Sammy?
Per my signature, I don't have a UHD source going to the new Samsung yet, instead using the BDP-83 to feed it 1080p signals for DVD and Blu-ray (which get upscaled to 2160p by the Sammy). I wanted an Oppo 203, but because the company closed shop, I don't know which UHD player to get.

As for liking the set, it is delivering color and clarity (in Movie mode, believe it or not) that we didn't really experience with the SXRD -- the only things I don't like are the issues the edge-lit displays exhibit (flashlighting on the screen and extreme dimming out/local dimming problems) and the fact that I should have gone with the 75 or 82 inch model (though we really couldn't afford em ).

I don't stream, at all, so I can't really answer that part.

Last edited by IntelliVolume; 09-05-2018 at 08:28 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:23 AM   #35
solarrdadd solarrdadd is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Virginia
255
1261
4
42
316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post




That sounds like a great gesture that you made on your behalf; as for my SXRD, it too has found what I assume to be a good home with someone else, as well, as I gave it to one of the guys who came to our house to modify the entertainment center I talked about. He said his brother was in need of a TV, so as a "tip" for helping me get rid of the set (we were just going to have to leave it outside on the street for someone to take; we had no other use for it) I let him have it. I told him it was going to need a lamp from time to time, and that the set had developed the staining problem.

It was kind of bittersweet to see the SXRD go, as it was our very first HDTV and gave us a decade of viewing pleasure watching DVDs, Blu-rays and cable.



Congrats on the TCL; I understand it's an up and coming brand really competing with the big names. Good for you, also, that they support Dolby Vision save for the smaller one in the two-channel setup; my Samsung, per the company's standard, only does HDR10.

Just out of curiosity, why did you need a display in your two-channel setup?



Per my signature, I don't have a UHD source going to the new Samsung yet, instead using the BDP-83 to feed it 1080p signals for DVD and Blu-ray (which get upscaled to 2160p by the Sammy). I wanted an Oppo 203, but because the company closed shop, I don't know which UHD player to get.

As for liking the set, it is delivering color and clarity (in Movie mode, believe it or not) that we didn't really experience with the SXRD -- the only things I don't like are the issues the edge-lit displays exhibit (flashlighting on the screen and extreme dimming out/local dimming problems) and the fact that I should have gone with the 75 or 85 inch model (though we really couldn't afford em ).

I don't stream, at all, so I can't really answer that part.
so I can see things!

because I use it for 2 channel music, but, I also use to watch tv, movies, PS3. I have a balanced analog 2 channel pre-amp that I have an Oppo 105 connected to via XLR and I have a 2 channel amp connected to the pre-amp to my Polk Audio SDA-2.

the TCL connects to the Oppo 105 via HDMI/ARC so I can watch tv (I've got an antenna connected to it), watch movies, I have a UHD player connected direct to the tv (video only) using the 2 cable system with one cable going to the Oppo so I get my lossless audio, I also have a PS3 connected to the tv directly using ARC to the Oppo. everything sounds great, because I get lossless from the UHD player, I get lossless from the oppo Blu-ray player when playing Blu-ray discs, I get great audio from the oppo from the tv via ARC, I'm getting great audio all the way around.

I also have a TT connected direct to the balanced 2 channel analog pre-amp. the pre-amp is the emotiva XSP-1 fully balanced 2 channel analog only.

I have 3 systems the one listed above, then, in the bedroom a 5.1.2 and the main HT 7.1.2, all with 4K monitors so I can enjoy the same 4K/HDR video in every setup (DV in 2 setups) and in my guest room, I have a 1080p LCD with a Roku Ultra connected to it.

anyway, I have a 4K 49" tv at my 2 channel system for versatility of system use!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:31 AM   #36
solarrdadd solarrdadd is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Virginia
255
1261
4
42
316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post




That sounds like a great gesture that you made on your behalf; as for my SXRD, it too has found what I assume to be a good home with someone else, as well, as I gave it to one of the guys who came to our house to modify the entertainment center I talked about. He said his brother was in need of a TV, so as a "tip" for helping me get rid of the set (we were just going to have to leave it outside on the street for someone to take; we had no other use for it) I let him have it. I told him it was going to need a lamp from time to time, and that the set had developed the staining problem.

It was kind of bittersweet to see the SXRD go, as it was our very first HDTV and gave us a decade of viewing pleasure watching DVDs, Blu-rays and cable.



Congrats on the TCL; I understand it's an up and coming brand really competing with the big names. Good for you, also, that they support Dolby Vision save for the smaller one in the two-channel setup; my Samsung, per the company's standard, only does HDR10.

Just out of curiosity, why did you need a display in your two-channel setup?



Per my signature, I don't have a UHD source going to the new Samsung yet, instead using the BDP-83 to feed it 1080p signals for DVD and Blu-ray (which get upscaled to 2160p by the Sammy). I wanted an Oppo 203, but because the company closed shop, I don't know which UHD player to get.

As for liking the set, it is delivering color and clarity (in Movie mode, believe it or not) that we didn't really experience with the SXRD -- the only things I don't like are the issues the edge-lit displays exhibit (flashlighting on the screen and extreme dimming out/local dimming problems) and the fact that I should have gone with the 75 or 85 inch model (though we really couldn't afford em ).

I don't stream, at all, so I can't really answer that part.

I'm here to tell you, UHD DV/HDR/ATMOS streaming from my TCL's is beautiful. I'm watching the Jack Ryan series on Amazon Prime app and it streams in 4K/DV/ATMOS and in the HT it's beautiful, and so is Luke Cage in 4K/DV. streaming is both beautiful and convenient. I'm not a snob (not saying you are either) so, I have no problem with streaming. I stream more than I watch UHD movies from the player; and I do watch UHD movies from the player plenty.

not sure why your not taking advantage of a huge part of what your 4K tv offers, I mean, to each his own, but, for me, I love it. there are so many 4K/HDR nature channels/videos on youtube and other places and man, those things are amazing.

would you care to share why you don't stream and I don't mind if you would rather not say.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:46 PM   #37
chip75 chip75 is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
chip75's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Wales
1996
2043
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Does my Samsung NU8000 even support 24Hz video from Blu-ray Discs?
It does. 100%.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
IntelliVolume (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 08:29 PM   #38
IntelliVolume IntelliVolume is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
May 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
so I can see things!
I only asked because, in the majority of "two-channel" systems, the goal is to enjoy two-channel-only sources with no visual accompaniment (video).
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:30 PM   #39
IntelliVolume IntelliVolume is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
May 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
I'm here to tell you, UHD DV/HDR/ATMOS streaming from my TCL's is beautiful. I'm watching the Jack Ryan series on Amazon Prime app and it streams in 4K/DV/ATMOS and in the HT it's beautiful, and so is Luke Cage in 4K/DV. streaming is both beautiful and convenient. I'm not a snob (not saying you are either) so, I have no problem with streaming. I stream more than I watch UHD movies from the player; and I do watch UHD movies from the player plenty.

not sure why your not taking advantage of a huge part of what your 4K tv offers, I mean, to each his own, but, for me, I love it. there are so many 4K/HDR nature channels/videos on youtube and other places and man, those things are amazing.

would you care to share why you don't stream and I don't mind if you would rather not say.
It's not a pressing intercontinental secret as to why I don't stream, LMAO...I just prefer physical media and always will.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:11 AM   #40
solarrdadd solarrdadd is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Virginia
255
1261
4
42
316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
I only asked because, in the majority of "two-channel" systems, the goal is to enjoy two-channel-only sources with no visual accompaniment (video).
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
It's not a pressing intercontinental secret as to why I don't stream, LMAO...I just prefer physical media and always will.
as for the two channel comment, yeah, some do only have a non video capable component in their 2 channel setup. I want to maximize all my setups to give me as much as possible at a sitting. so, if I have spun some music on the TT, and want to watch the news or watch a movie in glorious 4K, I can just turn on the tv and do it right there without having to go into another room. and I still get to enjoy the audio of my 2 channel system while doing it.

I also prefer physical media, but, streaming has come a long way and since everything I have is wired, the streaming I get is exceptional and looks and sounds great on all 3 of my systems. it's great and very convenient to not always have to go look for the movie, get it load up the player just to watch a movie and better, just to watch a few minutes of a movie. when I want to get the full treatment, yeah, UHD disc is how I do it.

also, streaming allows me to find movies that I've never heard of, or that I'm not sure if I want to buy them, and want to watch them first via a stream. I get to watch tv shows, things that are not available on Blu-ray or UHD yet nor on tv anymore, I can stream that and enjoy it. so, yeah, there's tons you can do with streaming that you can't do or get with "physical media". of course, I'm speaking for me. I respect your response.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:08 AM.