Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
18 hrs ago
Hannibal 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.42

Vampire Hunter D (Blu-ray)
$7.99
1 hr ago
Justice League vs the Fatal Five (Blu-ray)
$18.99
6 hrs ago
If Beale Street Could Talk (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Steven Seagal 4-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$8.99

A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Dragon Ball Super: Broly (Blu-ray)
$22.99

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Underworld: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.09

Justice League vs The Fatal Five 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.26
11 hrs ago
First Man (Blu-ray)
$17.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 11-21-2018, 06:49 PM   #1

Jan 2013
Default Hows the UBP-X800 Sony Blu-Ray Player?

I was considering getting this one since I really need to upgrade my player since it feels outdated & the noise on it is way too loud. Does this one have much noise when playing discs? Also, how is the bluetooth connectivity?

Edit: Or would buying a PS4 or Xbox One S to watch movies for same price be better to get?

Last edited by JG85; 11-21-2018 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:05 PM   #2

Jul 2017
Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG85 View Post
I was considering getting this one since I really need to upgrade my player since it feels outdated & the noise on it is way too loud. Does this one have much noise when playing discs? Also, how is the bluetooth connectivity?

Edit: Or would buying a PS4 or Xbox One S to watch movies for same price be better to get?
I've bought two, one new and one used. Neither are loud but the new one occasionally needs to be unplugged and then plugged back in to play discs. The used one has never had any issues. Don't use Bluetooth with them so I can't comment on that. I will say that the streaming interface is not great. Very happy with my 4K Roku for streaming.

FYI, no PS4 plays UHD's. The UBP-X700 might be a good alternative if you want a Sony UHD player since it has Dolby Vision whereas the X800 doesn't. It's discounted to $150 at Best Buy during their Black Friday sale.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:08 PM   #3

Jul 2018

Any of the current PS4 models DO NOT play UHD's, and the Xbox One S is the only console that does.

As for the X800, a while back various Target stores had them on clearance for $90 which IMO is a steal if you can find one there now.

It's a pretty good player overall for the buck, offers decent HDR-SDR conversion that can be adjusted to your liking, and I don't hear much noise from playback but that could vary depending on the discs.

I haven't tried bluetooth with it, but be aware that the WiFi function (at least on mine) is extremely spotty even with a 200mbs IP speed and such, so I would recommend hard wiring via Cat6 or greater if you do plan to stream or use it's internet capabilities.

Edit: one more thing to add with the X800. The X700 is a newer model than the X800, but the former is a downgrade in a couple ways being build quality and the omission of Super Audio CD playback.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:09 PM   #4
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

you probably could have had this answered better in the already existing X800 thread where there are hundreds of posts about the player.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:18 PM   #5

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
you probably could have had this answered better in the already existing X800 thread where there are hundreds of posts about the player.
No one was replying in the older thread I posted in so I made a new one.
Thanks given by:
solarrdadd (11-22-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 11:21 PM   #6

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee Jack View Post
I've bought two, one new and one used. Neither are loud but the new one occasionally needs to be unplugged and then plugged back in to play discs. The used one has never had any issues. Don't use Bluetooth with them so I can't comment on that. I will say that the streaming interface is not great. Very happy with my 4K Roku for streaming.

FYI, no PS4 plays UHD's. The UBP-X700 might be a good alternative if you want a Sony UHD player since it has Dolby Vision whereas the X800 doesn't. It's discounted to $150 at Best Buy during their Black Friday sale.
I donít necessarily need UHD for the room Iím putting it in. But is the PS4 loud when playing discs? I already have an Xbox One S but Iíll have to check to see how loud it plays blu-rays again. I did want bluetooth though so I can just put headphones in while playing movies at night instead of waking people up.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:50 PM   #7
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

For the price the X800 cannot be beat. It's not loud, much less than the 95% of all other light plastic players out there. Friday should be a good day...look for it.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:06 AM   #8

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
For the price the X800 cannot be beat. It's not loud, much less than the 95% of all other light plastic players out there. Friday should be a good day...look for it.
So you recommend I still get the X800 over a PS4 or another Xbox One S if I donít need UHD?
Old 11-22-2018, 01:57 AM   #9
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
So you recommend I still get the X800 over a PS4 or another Xbox One S if I don’t need UHD?
did you not read the first sentence of post #3? UHD are, if you didn't know 4K discs and you would need either the X700 or the One S to play them. if you don't want/need to play them get a regular Blu-ray player, I mean, what exactly are you plans? you ask about UHD players then say if you don't need UHD? I'm kinda lost!

you also mention Bluetooth, exactly what is it your hoping to be able to do with whatever device. you should list that so people aren't wasting their time responding with answers that won't be able to do what you want them to do.

if you don't want or need to watch UHD movies, then just get a plain Blu-ray player. if you want to watch UHD movies and you have a 4K tv, get one of the UHD players you listed.

if you have a specific need or function for/of Bluetooth, list what that is. also, what research have you done other than creating this thread? have you researched this outside of this forum, i.e., google, youtube? either would give you hundreds of answers too. this helps us help you and shows us your commitment.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:26 AM   #10

Jan 2013

Quote:
did you not read the first sentence of post #3? UHD are, if you didn't know 4K discs and you would need either the X700 or the One S to play them. if you don't want/need to play them get a regular Blu-ray player, I mean, what exactly are you plans? you ask about UHD players then say if you don't need UHD? I'm kinda lost!

you also mention Bluetooth, exactly what is it your hoping to be able to do with whatever device. you should list that so people aren't wasting their time responding with answers that won't be able to do what you want them to do.

if you don't want or need to watch UHD movies, then just get a plain Blu-ray player. if you want to watch UHD movies and you have a 4K tv, get one of the UHD players you listed.

if you have a specific need or function for/of Bluetooth, list what that is. also, what research have you done other than creating this thread? have you researched this outside of this forum, i.e., google, youtube? either would give you hundreds of answers too. this helps us help you and shows us your commitment.
I was asking about this one since it seems this is one of the quietest blu-ray players. I donít want to purchase another player & itís going to be extremely loud while watching movies. Basically I need one with certain apps (which this one has) to watch on the TV Iím putting it on & that is quiet while watching movies. Bluetooth Iíd like to have to use if Iím watching a movie late at night & donít want to wake up anyone up while watching a movie so I can watch it with a wireless headset. I donít really need UHD specifically though but I donít know of any cheaper stand alone players besides this one & more expensive ones that fit my needs in every other category. It seems cheaper blu-ray players are made a lot cheaper & make a lot of noise & donít have many features.

So to summarize:

- Want Bluetooth functionality when watching movies late at night
- needs certain apps (WWE Network mainly)
- want a player that makes very little to no noise

So it seems itís either down to this one or a PS4 unless you know of a cheaper stand alone that fits all those categories.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:34 AM   #11
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

what brand/model tv do you have? is it a smart tv cause if it is and if it's recent, you should be able to download the app onto it. and keep using your One S for movies. how is it you don't already know how loud the One S is for movies? have you not watched movies on it before? I figure one time to remind you forever if it's quiet or not?

I thought you could download apps on the One S, is that not the case? have you tried looking for the app you mentioned and if so, is it not available to work with the One S?
Old 11-22-2018, 02:50 AM   #12

Jan 2013

Quote:
what brand/model tv do you have? is it a smart tv cause if it is and if it's recent, you should be able to download the app onto it. and keep using your One S for movies. how is it you don't already know how loud the One S is for movies? have you not watched movies on it before? I figure one time to remind you forever if it's quiet or not?

I thought you could download apps on the One S, is that not the case? have you tried looking for the app you mentioned and if so, is it not available to work with the One S?
The TV is older so it doesnít have the apps I need on the TV itself & itís a Sony. I mainly watch movies on Xbox One S with a headset in & never thought about how loud it is until now really. Iíll have to check later to see how loud it is. I donít want to move my Xbox since itís on the big screen HD TV & this other one whichever I get would be in my bedroom.

And you can download apps on the One S. I have WWE Network on there.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:02 AM   #13
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
The TV is older so it doesnít have the apps I need on the TV itself & itís a Sony. I mainly watch movies on Xbox One S with a headset in & never thought about how loud it is until now really. Iíll have to check later to see how loud it is. I donít want to move my Xbox since itís on the big screen HD TV & this other one whichever I get would be in my bedroom.

And you can download apps on the One S. I have WWE Network on there.
see, now we are making progress. so, you don't want something that's loud that will wake someone up, someone who is sleeping in the bedroom with you or near you? ok, I don't think there is a player that is that loud to do that! but, lets say this person can't get to sleep with even a slightly noisy player. first off, I'd say give the One S a listen to without the headphones on. put a movie in, play it and listen to see how much noise the console itself and the drive make.

also, which are you more likely inclined to do at night when the other party is sleeping, watch a movie on disc or stream WWE?
Old 11-22-2018, 03:12 AM   #14

Jan 2013

Quote:
see, now we are making progress. so, you don't want something that's loud that will wake someone up, someone who is sleeping in the bedroom with you or near you? ok, I don't think there is a player that is that loud to do that! but, lets say this person can't get to sleep with even a slightly noisy player. first off, I'd say give the One S a listen to without the headphones on. put a movie in, play it and listen to see how much noise the console itself and the drive make.

also, which are you more likely inclined to do at night when the other party is sleeping, watch a movie on disc or stream WWE?
I watch movies more than watch WWE Network. The only thing is I donít know if I actually want to own 2 Xboxes. If I happened to get a PS4 Iíd buy some games for it too that arenít on Xbox & use it as a game console as well. So Iím not sure which, but it definitely seems to come down to either a PS4, Xbox One S or the X800.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:18 AM   #15
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

I did realize you said you want to leave the One S in a different room. I don't know how quiet this player is, but, it does support Bluetooth for headphones and it does support the WWE app for download and it's like $100 or less. probably can snag one for less this Friday!

either at walmart, amazon and possibly BB. the brick and mortar stores advantage is if you think it's too noisy you can just take it back and not have to worry about shipping.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:20 AM   #16
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
I watch movies more than watch WWE Network. The only thing is I donít know if I actually want to own 2 Xboxes. If I happened to get a PS4 Iíd buy some games for it too that arenít on Xbox & use it as a game console as well. So Iím not sure which, but it definitely seems to come down to either a PS4, Xbox One S or the X800.
I wouldn't spend the money on a PS4 or One S as a player unless I was a gamer first, then a movie watcher occasionally. to much money. again, if a player is making that much noise, something is wrong with it. almost any cheap player that works and supports the WWe app should fit the bill. of course, that's up to you and your seemingly unique situation.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:23 AM   #17

Jan 2013

Quote:
I did realize you said you want to leave the One S in a different room. I don't know how quiet this player is, but, it does support Bluetooth for headphones and it does support the WWE app for download and it's like $100 or less. probably can snag one for less this Friday!

either at walmart, amazon and possibly BB. the brick and mortar stores advantage is if you think it's too noisy you can just take it back and not have to worry about shipping.
lol the player I have now is so loud but it could be because itís a lot older model. Itís a Sony Blu-Ray Player from 2013 or 2014. And it wasnít an expensive model, I got it for like $75 on sale.

And Iíll have to look into reviews for this player.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:28 AM   #18
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

it's under $100, go buy it this Friday if it's in stock and find out how loud it is and if it does what you need it to do. audition it for whatever the return policy length of time is. make up your mind then. put on those big boy pants and lets go!
Old 11-22-2018, 03:42 AM   #19

Jan 2013

Quote:
it's under $100, go buy it this Friday if it's in stock and find out how loud it is and if it does what you need it to do. audition it for whatever the return policy length of time is. make up your mind then. put on those big boy pants and lets go!
Yeah, seems like it fits all my needs. Will likely pick this one up actually & if I don’t like it I’ll just return it. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:45 AM   #20
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Yeah, seems like it fits all my needs. Will likely pick this one up actually & if I donít like it Iíll just return it. Thanks.
what I will say is check at the sony site to see if there is a manual and download it and read it. mostly about the requirements for Bluetooth headphones. knowledge is your friend.

keep us posted whatever you decide to do. I hope this works out for you.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders