Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Westworld: Season Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Westworld: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The White Princess (Blu-ray)
$7.99
23 hrs ago
Triple Threat (Blu-ray)
$22.27
6 hrs ago
Princess Principal: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
21 hrs ago
Frame Arms Girl: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$15.99
23 hrs ago
Underworld: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.09

If Beale Street Could Talk (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot (Blu-ray)
$15.41

Kimagure Orange Road (Blu-ray)
$63.68

Gotham: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 08-29-2008, 03:50 PM   #41
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007
Abiit, excessit, evasit, erupit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entertainment72 View Post
The PS3 is not the best player simply because it is not $5000, if it had been of course it would be.
Because ad hominem arguments of perception bias explain everything, right?

There is no overall "best" player, since everyone's desired feature-set and cost/benefit decision is different.

Clearly, the PS3 is the best player for you. Please resume play.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #42
Power Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by drago3451 View Post
My first player was the Sony S300 but it did not decode or bitstream all of the HD audio. I went out and bought a PS3 because I wanted to be able to hear all that blu-ray has to offer and could not afford the more expensive stand alone with the same capabilities. I still have my S300 hooked up and use it for SD-DVDs. In watching the same movie on each system (right after one another) the PS3 actually has a better picture with BDs than the S300.

I do not even play games with the PS3 because I feel the contoller is not as comfortable as the XBOX 360s.
My son has a PS3. I can't stand how it looks whether vertical or horizontal. A curved console like that looks ugly to me. No thanks. I'd rather have a cool looking stand alone for the same price like the Panny BD30 or Sony S350.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:27 PM   #43
Special Member

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entertainment72 View Post
The PS3 is not the best player simply because it is not $5000, if it had been of course it would be.
Wait, so because it is the most expensive it is still the best right??

WHEW.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:38 PM   #44
Special Member

Jan 2008
Fort Myers, FL
Send a message via AIM to Entertainment72 Send a message via Yahoo to Entertainment72

Guys I'm being sarcastic.. just saying many upon many associate price with quality and performance.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:17 PM   #45
Special Member

Aug 2007
Near Seattle

If money was no object, I would have no problem plopping down some hard-earned jack for the Pioneer BDP-09FD. If it came with SACD / DVDA, so much the better.

The debate on the non-bitsteaming PS3 (which I own and wouldn't trade for any BD player on the market...yet) vs a bitstreaming BD player has an important distiction. The type you choose will depend on what type of receiver you have. If the receiver can't decode the HD codecs (but can handle PCM/LPCM), you'll have to buy a BD player that can.

Whether or not the player bitstreams is rendered moot however, since, if I could afford the Pioneer BD player (or any price-is-no-object player for that matter), I should think I would also be able to afford a nicely equipped A/V receiver. If you're gonna dream, dream big, right?
Old 09-11-2008, 07:29 PM   #46

Apr 2008
Donegal, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwojtalewicz View Post
My son has a PS3. I can't stand how it looks whether vertical or horizontal. A curved console like that looks ugly to me. No thanks. I'd rather have a cool looking stand alone for the same price like the Panny BD30 or Sony S350.
+1
Old 09-11-2008, 08:33 PM   #47

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLeerUK View Post

If price is no object, I'll have a Pioneer BDP-09FD please.

i rather buy 6 ps3's
Old 09-11-2008, 08:40 PM   #48
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

PS3 is the best Blu Ray player I've ever had.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:21 PM   #49

Mar 2008

That's right. We all don't shop at Walmart.We enjoy having nicer than the average.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:43 PM   #50
Banned

Sep 2007
NH

PANNY BD30!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS THE BEST IN THE WHOLE WORLD AND NOTHING BEATS IT!!!!!!!
Old 09-11-2008, 10:45 PM   #51
Special Member

Feb 2008
Omaha

Why buy a Pinto whan you can own a Mustang for the same price???
PS3 - is the only option.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:42 AM   #52

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion-strike View Post
Panasonic BD 30 is the best you can get at the moment i think
Especially since CC is selling it for $319
Old 09-12-2008, 01:27 PM   #53

Dec 2007

According to Home Theater Magazine - the best source component (Blu-ray) is (drumroll please.....................) The Panasonic DMP-....BD50. Runner up was the Samsung 1500 - honorable mention was the ps3.

Last edited by prerich; 09-13-2008 at 07:40 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:22 PM   #54

Sep 2008

I have looked at the PS3 and some others. I am brand new to blu ray and I don't have a HDMI reciever. I have a Denon AVR-1603 and I really like it, I don't want to buy a new reciever. I do have the analog inputs on this reciever so in order for me to get all the latest and greatest sound I would have to go with a BP that decodes those signals am I right? So far the only decent one would be the Panny D50 or hopefully the Sony 550 when that comes out. Just looking for some direction on this subject.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:48 PM   #55
Power Member

Mar 2008

Buy a standalone..u can watch blu-rays and make sure to always have your disc ready so you can keep updating the firmware....

Dont buy a ps3....all you can do is...watch blu-rays...upconvert dvds..listen to music...play ps3 games..free online gaming.download games/trailers,movies, add ons, and updates the latest firmware via internet.

Stay faaaar away from the ps3....
Old 09-27-2008, 04:08 PM   #56

Jan 2008
Post Some Good Choices

If youíre a first time Blu-ray user, than the Sony S350 or the Panasonic BD30 are the two best choices to consider. There are now numerous generic brands appearing on the scene, that are far and away cheaper than the major brand names. However, itís best to stay with a brand that has something of an already established reputation with Blu-ray. I can understand all the hoopla about the PS3, but if youíre not into gaming, then I wouldnít go that route. With all this fuss about the PS3 and its many virtues, letís not forget about Media-PCís, that are about to make their mark with Blu-ray playback capabilities. A stand-alone Blu-ray player should only be purchased by way of what features appeal to you or what you feel you need. Simplicity is what should really be considered, especially if this will be your first Blu-ray player. I say this only because in terms of video performance, most of the players are pretty much the same, regardless of features or price. This also goes for the audio side, especially if youíre going to use the HDMI hookup. By the time of the holidays, there will be a good amount of choices.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:31 PM   #57

Sep 2008
Question I do not need a PS3

Another gaming platform on my TV is not going to happen. Already there is conflict between TV and games, so all that stuff not related to watching TV is out the window. My computer does all that and more and it bothers no one. Quit trying to sell PS3s, we know what it is and what it does. Ok. But to be so rude is just wrong. I well research what I get and am happy with it. I get what I need not what others think I need.
Just in case your wondering, and I am sure you are, I got the WII because of my grand kids, They are not even allowed to watch me play a game that has any violence. Being my little 40 in. plasma is right out in the living room, no RPGs, MMORPGs, Shooters, etc... WII made the right games for family. If you expose your kids to what ever that is your business but stay out of mine.
I need specifics. What kind of games? Is it 10 or 10.1 BR. Is it true 1080p? Does it handle 7.1 and what interface (cable) is used? Am I missing anything? How many ports for what type of media (HDMI etc...)?
I may get another BR for playing and burning (stand alone). I already have one for PC and TV-TV is player only.
Are there any new important features I should be aware of?
Answer these type questions and let go of your personal choice of systems-it is annoying.

Bobby
Old 09-27-2008, 09:18 PM   #58
Power Member

Sep 2008
New York City

OK, I want to get a Blu Ray player in the new Amazon deal (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...rd_i=193640011).

I don't care to play games or anything, I just want to be able to watch Blu Rays on this. I really just want to get great visuals and sound. I also eventually want to get surround sound, if that factors in.

Which do you guys recommend? I don't really know what the deal is with HDMI, so if someone could give me a brief (and non jargony) explanation, I'd appreciate it.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:32 PM   #59

Sep 2008

I bought the BD1000 when it first came out. It was fine until it started to not play any of the new release movies. It would not accept any of the firmware upgrades. I sent it in because of the extended warranty that I purchased and they too had the same issues and could not get the firmware installed. They gave me the BD1400 as a replacement. It worked great until recently, so I downloaded the firmware and that helped on certain movies, but it still cannot play Transformers.

I am not sure what DD+ or TrueHD are or do. I just want a BD Player that won't turn into a paper weight every 8 Months. I am not a gamer but everything that I have read suggests that the PS3 (for the money) is the way to go. Can anyone please put their two cents in?

Thanks,

J
Old 10-17-2008, 05:16 AM   #60
Banned

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewatergrigsby View Post
I'd look at the Denon, Pioneer Elite's and Marantz. PS3 is great but not all want to drive a Toyota ( best selling car ). Some enjoy a BMW or Acura.
I like Acuras...but the problem with the PS3 is that it's a bit pricey...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders