Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Twin Peaks: The Television Collection (Blu-ray)
$76.99
8 hrs ago
Avengers: Endgame 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

50 Years of Planet of the Apes: 9-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.74

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$164.99

Man of Steel 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Unplanned (Blu-ray)
$19.99
6 hrs ago
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Brightburn (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Child's Play (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Banana Splits Movie (Blu-ray)
$17.96
13 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems

Old 07-31-2019, 07:21 AM   #18961
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman9270 View Post
Anyone go from an XPA-5 Gen 2 to an XPA-5 Gen3 or XPR-5? If so, did you notice any audible difference? (Look, I know I'm asking a loaded question but reading has gotten me nowhere and I'm so sick and tired of polarizing reviews. (And then I ask on here.))

Every time I mention my XPA people immediately tell me that I'd do better with another amp(Parasound, McIntosh, Rotel):

- I've heard a Parasound A51 once and it sounded good on the KEF speakers being demo'd but it's hard to make out in another environment.
- I actually had a McIntosh MC8207 in my room and tested. I heard a difference in the movie material but not on 2-channel material. I was also told that a real McIntosh is Quad-Balanced and the MC8207 is not.
- I listened to the Rotel RMB-1575 at a Best Buy but, again, not in my environment.

I love my hobby but it can be extremely frustrating. The next to last thing that I want to do is make an expensive purchase and return in 3 weeks. I feel like that's a douche move but I'm heading towards that choice.

My room and equipment details are in my signature.
I haven't heard either amp, but if you haven't already, I'd suggest heading over to the Emotiva Lounge (official Emotiva forums). I used to be active on that board. The members there are generally very helpful, and I'd venture to guess someone there has stepped up from a Gen 2 to a Gen 3.
[Show spoiler] Just don't rip on Emo products or they'll turn on you fast. As to be expected.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:28 PM   #18962
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

So my almost decade old XPA-5 Gen 1 stopped producing sound. It went into protect mode after I accidentally jiggled the power cord from the wall. After cutting the main power switch then unplugging and starting it back up - which all went fine and no protect mode - it's not producing sound. I'm also bummed that it was only 2 months away from its 10th anniversary and has kept on kicking without a hitch. I'm hoping it's just a fuse, which if it is then it's evident Emotiva was true in their promise about their amps having their own fault protection circuitry and why they recommend direct power from the wall vs connecting to a power conditioner.

Need to make a call to Emo, hopefully to get a technical manual.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:49 PM   #18963
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post
So my almost decade old XPA-5 Gen 1 stopped producing sound. It went into protect mode after I accidentally jiggled the power cord from the wall. After cutting the main power switch then unplugging and starting it back up - which all went fine and no protect mode - it's not producing sound. I'm also bummed that it was only 2 months away from its 10th anniversary and has kept on kicking without a hitch. I'm hoping it's just a fuse, which if it is then it's evident Emotiva was true in their promise about their amps having their own fault protection circuitry and why they recommend direct power from the wall vs connecting to a power conditioner.

Need to make a call to Emo, hopefully to get a technical manual.
sorry to hear that red, my XPA-5 Gen 1 will hit 10 years in January next year. on some rare occasions mine goes into protection fault, but, turning it on and off it's fine. I fear the day that it fails as I know it's inevitable.

did you open it up to see if one of the fuses has blown? I had two blown fuses over the years and with that, I was lucky that it's not happened in many years and that it continues to play with no real damage that's noticeable.

best of luck and please keep us posted bud. good luck with emotive and the tech support
Old 07-31-2019, 09:27 PM   #18964
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
sorry to hear that red, my XPA-5 Gen 1 will hit 10 years in January next year. on some rare occasions mine goes into protection fault, but, turning it on and off it's fine. I fear the day that it fails as I know it's inevitable.

did you open it up to see if one of the fuses has blown? I had two blown fuses over the years and with that, I was lucky that it's not happened in many years and that it continues to play with no real damage that's noticeable.

best of luck and please keep us posted bud. good luck with emotive and the tech support
Hey solarrdadd, hope all is well with you, been a while.

Haven't opened it up yet. It happened Monday night and I didn't want to pull that sucker out of the rack and crack it open. It was otherwise a 5 minute swap to my AVRs internal amps to get me by for now. Yes, I went back to an AVR, which I'm glad actually because it's paying off right now. I almost bought another dedicated pre-pro last month, too.

I probably won't get to it till this weekend. But I did call Emotiva today, and they already sent over the specs for the fuses. I'll report back after.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:20 AM   #18965
Expert Member

Jan 2012
Michigan

I have an IPS-1 have had it for years. It had an amp card that was kind of wonky. Not wanting to really do much about it as I didn't use all the channels at the time I unplugged to offending card. Well time came that I wanted to use that channel. I took the amp apart and here is what I found..... It grew
WHISKERS!

I clipped the whisker and resoldered, the joint looked like it was a bit cold when originally soldered. Also cleaned up the entire inside of the amp as it was real filthy from 12 years of use. Runs great now.

Last edited by Remo; 08-01-2019 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Added link
Thanks given by:
nonametofame (08-02-2019), red_5ive (08-03-2019), solarrdadd (08-02-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 09:13 PM   #18966
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Finally got to checking the amp this morning, and yup, 2 blown fuses. Spent the morning trying to find the fuses and nobody in my area has 'em. I was hoping to replace them this weekend but looks like I'll have to order online.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:48 AM   #18967
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

So the fuses arrived today and I just dropped 'em in and got everything reconfigured. All is good, my XPA-5 never sounded better. Right on time, too, as I finally have a new AVR arriving tomorrow that I'll temporarily be using as a pre-pro. I got tired of running 4k UHD the last 2.5 years without any OSD as my current pre isn't HDCP 2.2 compliant. I'll also finally be going Atmos. Eventually I'll be grabbing another dedicated pre-pro, and then the new AVR will go to the mancave to serve pre-pro duties there.

On a side-note, when I initially ran everything through my current AVR (Aventage RX-A3020) after the fuses died, I was surprised by what I thought was a positive difference in sound as I'd never heard the 3020's internal amps. I had only re-calibrated the speaker levels and nothing else (no auto-calibration), and I was surprised that it sounded so clean and that there was sound EVERYWHERE (running 9.3 with the Aventage DSPs). I was actually thinking that maybe I'll keep it this way for a bit, even if after getting the XPA-5 up and running. Yeah, it took me about a minute to realize what I was missing after getting the XPA-5 back up and running lol. It's fuller yet still cleaner and even more sound everywhere lol.

One thing I forgot to do was try out my 2-channel amp (RPA-2) which drive my mains for music to instead run 2 other channels, and then put the mains on the XPA-5 along with the center and surrounds. I'd been wondering if that'd make a difference and possibly have more impact with movies being that the RPA-2 is class H. But I'm grinning from ear-to-ear after getting the XPA-5 hooked back up so I might not bother at this point.
Thanks given by:
evoll (08-06-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems