Best 3D Blu-ray Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.38
23 min ago
Taza, Son of Cochise 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.89
 
Long Day's Journey Into Night 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.23
 
3-D Rarities Volume II (Blu-ray)
$34.99
 
Saw: The Final Chapter 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.32
13 hrs ago
The Meg 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.76
 
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.25
 
Goosebumps 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Prototype 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.39
3 hrs ago
Wonder Woman 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.58
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 03:40 AM   #1
mredman mredman is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Jun 2008
13
7
Post 3D Auto-Conversion Discussion Thread (Auto Conversion of 2D Content to 3D)

Isn't it the same?
So when you have Avatar for example the 3D tv can convert it to 3D why does they make 3D blu rays when the tv can convert all 2D material to 3D?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:49 AM   #2
that1guystudios that1guystudios is offline
3D Moderator
 
that1guystudios's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Oh I come from a land, from a faraway place...
24
259
1148
223
1199
335
135
29
94
Default

2D to 3D conversion is similar to the comparison from Blu-ray to DVD upconversion. True Hd quality on Blu-ray is vastly superior to upconverted DVD's. 2D to 3D conversion is often downright awful at times, and isn't available on several 3D TV's from Panasonic and LG. Only Samsung and Sharp feature realtime conversion with an actual illusion of depth.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:54 AM   #3
mredman mredman is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Jun 2008
13
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guypictures View Post
2D to 3D conversion is similar to the comparison from Blu-ray to DVD upconversion. True Hd quality on Blu-ray is vastly superior to upconverted DVD's. 2D to 3D conversion is often downright awful at times, and isn't available on several 3D TV's from Panasonic and LG. Only Samsung and Sharp feature realtime conversion with an actual illusion of depth.
Ok thanks so when you have a samsung 3D tv you don't have to buy 3D movies because they convert 2D blu rays to 3D quite good
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:05 AM   #4
Jimmy Smith Jimmy Smith is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
May 2008
17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredman View Post
Ok thanks so when you have a samsung 3D tv you don't have to buy 3D movies because they convert 2D blu rays to 3D quite good
Wow boy do you have a unique ability to selectively read. So much so I wonder if your trolling.

Comparing realtime upconverted 3D to real 3D is like comparing Blu-Ray to VHS. There is no comparison. Converters only make the movie look different and next to a native 3D presentation, that can only be achieved from a real 3D source, are an absolute joke.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:17 AM   #5
Suntory_Times Suntory_Times is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Suntory_Times's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
The Grid
16
23
Default

I call troll.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:49 AM   #6
mredman mredman is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Jun 2008
13
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith View Post
Wow boy do you have a unique ability to selectively read. So much so I wonder if your trolling.

Comparing realtime upconverted 3D to real 3D is like comparing Blu-Ray to VHS. There is no comparison. Converters only make the movie look different and next to a native 3D presentation, that can only be achieved from a real 3D source, are an absolute joke.
Hey i am not trolling i am an avid member and new to this whole 3D and when i saw a 3D can convert 2D to 3D i got curious

The guy wrote this "Only Samsung and Sharp feature realtime conversion with an actual illusion of depth. "

That sounds like samsung and sharp provide "some" 3D illusion but of course i guess its not the same as a real 3D blu ray
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:38 AM   #7
Suntory_Times Suntory_Times is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Suntory_Times's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
The Grid
16
23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredman View Post
Hey i am not trolling i am an avid member and new to this whole 3D and when i saw a 3D can convert 2D to 3D i got curious

The guy wrote this "Only Samsung and Sharp feature realtime conversion with an actual illusion of depth. "

That sounds like samsung and sharp provide "some" 3D illusion but of course i guess its not the same as a real 3D blu ray
In all honesty 2d to 3d real-time conversions (whilst fun for a few minutes), are not a good way to watch a film. To convert 2d to 3d well takes many months and millions of dollars for a single film, and even then nothing has come close to bieng as good as something shot nagtivly in 3d.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
koover koover is offline
Power Member
 
koover's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
Surprise Arizona
189
2930
219
6
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredman View Post
Ok thanks so when you have a samsung 3D tv you don't have to buy 3D movies because they convert 2D blu rays to 3D quite good
If anything is a gimmick, it's just that. I have a Samsung 3D set and by no means is this the case. I think this feature is for people like me that want "something" to get by on.....every once in a while. It's OK (and I say this meekly) in moderation if you want a quick fix, but not for regular viewing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:00 AM   #9
SethRex SethRex is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
SethRex's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
100
648
6
39
645
2
23
6
121
Talking 3D autoconversion - TVs / players converting 2D movies to 3D

Like with DVD to HD Upconverts on Blu-Ray Players, will a 3D-BD Player (in my case PS3) upconvert 2D BDs to 3D(I suppose it would be more simulated). It'd be interesting to see RE1-3 in 3d along with afterlife.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #10
Suntory_Times Suntory_Times is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Suntory_Times's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
The Grid
16
23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethRex View Post
Like with DVD to HD Upconverts on Blu-Ray Players, will a 3D-BD Player (in my case PS3) upconvert 2D BDs to 3D(I suppose it would be more simulated). It'd be interesting to see RE1-3 in 3d along with afterlife.
The real time conversions are horrible. They really add some minor depth in some very limited circumstances. Otherwise they just remove some detail and crop the image abit.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #11
SethRex SethRex is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
SethRex's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
100
648
6
39
645
2
23
6
121
Default

Noted. I'll use it sparingly then if I want to see a regular blu in 3d.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:21 AM   #12
Suntory_Times Suntory_Times is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Suntory_Times's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
The Grid
16
23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethRex View Post
Noted. I'll use it sparingly then if I want to see a regular blu in 3d.
Use it as much as you want, i've just seen some people think it was going to work miracles, which it simply doesn't.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:49 PM   #13
raygendreau raygendreau is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Oct 2008
1
Default

2D to 3D conversion (simulated 3D) on my Bravia KDL-40HX800 is O.K. on live sports (football, basketball, hockey) but not worth it on any other 2D content.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:14 PM   #14
PaulGo PaulGo is offline
Power Member
 
PaulGo's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
North Potomac, MD
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethRex View Post
Like with DVD to HD Upconverts on Blu-Ray Players, will a 3D-BD Player (in my case PS3) upconvert 2D BDs to 3D(I suppose it would be more simulated). It'd be interesting to see RE1-3 in 3d along with afterlife.
The PS3 is not programmed to upconvert 2D to 3D for Blu-ray or DVD.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:04 PM   #15
kwrobbins kwrobbins is offline
Senior Member
 
kwrobbins's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
Maryville Tennessee
142
2082
1
2
92
Default

As far as I know it's the TV that converts 2D to 3D not the blu-ray players. Any computer generated movie looks pretty good upconverted to 3D. I've seen The Incredibles, Toy Story and Astro Boy and I liked the way they looked.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:07 AM   #16
Suntory_Times Suntory_Times is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Suntory_Times's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
The Grid
16
23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwrobbins View Post
As far as I know it's the TV that converts 2D to 3D not the blu-ray players. Any computer generated movie looks pretty good upconverted to 3D. I've seen The Incredibles, Toy Story and Astro Boy and I liked the way they looked.
But compare it to the actuall 3d presentations of those films and it looks horrible.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:34 AM   #17
ronjones ronjones is offline
Active Member
 
Dec 2007
Ft. Myers, FL
Default

Panasonic, Samsung and Sony have all annouced new models of Blu-ray players that include 2D to 3D conversion. These should be available sometime this spring.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #18
perfectdark perfectdark is offline
Expert Member
 
perfectdark's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
Ontario, Canada
51
55
59
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntory_Times View Post
But compare it to the actuall 3d presentations of those films and it looks horrible.
The OP was asking if his PS3 can convert 2D to 3D

You've responded 3 times in this thread..... and all 3 times NOT answering the OP's question or helping him in any way
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #19
Mirage29 Mirage29 is offline
Active Member
 
Dec 2010
North Carolina
4
7
USA 2D to 3D conversion with network update

I own a blu ray player that does not have 2D to 3D conversion. Could a network update give this player 2D to 3D conversion?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #20
Tns49 Tns49 is offline
Special Member
 
Mar 2011
4
381
3559
402
4
2
16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage29 View Post
I own a blu ray player that does not have 2D to 3D conversion. Could a network update give this player 2D to 3D conversion?
Unlikely although possible. It needs decent processing power, or a special chip to do this conversion.

Many of the manufacturers have the 2d to 3d conversion built in to there TV's so don't have it on there Blu-ray players.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:05 AM.