Best 3D Blu-ray Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Taza, Son of Cochise 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.89
 
The Meg 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.76
11 hrs ago
Saw: The Final Chapter 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.86
 
3-D Rarities Volume II (Blu-ray)
$34.99
 
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.25
 
Goosebumps 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Those Redheads from Seattle 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.35
 
Prototype 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.04
 
Wonder Woman 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.58
 
Spy Kids: All the Time in the World 3D (Blu-ray)
$10.11
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2018, 04:53 PM   #181
Joe D. Joe D. is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Joe D.'s Avatar
 
Oct 2015
Bronx, NY
1
Default Simulation

Am watching more discs simulated and really amazed at how good source material can produce a nice semblance of depth and even a rare pop out. For titles not on 3D, its a nice diversion.

This does not replace professional 3D but i have found it as an added treat. Why downgrade it for what it does lack instead of being excited for what it can achieve? Yes, placements are arbitrary, not systematic or contingent on natural elements. But its a nice enough to trick one.

We ordered the bluray Rocky Mountain Express because we were on the railroad during our trip to the Canadian northwest years ago. It appeared so natural with some real breathtaking scenes. Already mentioned the impact with Peter Jackson's King Kong.

Its something to take advantage of, the effect better with bluray or DVD than cable because of the additional options. And it requires experimentation to get the most depth without degrading picture quality and creating ghosts and shimmering. I use the strong simulation setting on my bluray player enabling my monitor to detect an actual 3D signal. I then use -2 on my monitor (range is -2 through +2).

With cable, can only use +2 simulation and it then depends on the source. Golf and nature are great. Saw a big difference in The Space Between Us. With baseball I do not get a true sense of the big ballpark while it works better in basketball.

While not comparing it to professional 3D, it no doubt creates a nice addition of 3D to a flat source and for me is a welcome supplement to the enjoyment of our 3D enthusiasm. Again, calibration of one's monitor is essential. The addition of the darbee is a definite plus.

Won't use it all the time but will be taking advantage of this more often. If anything, it puts to rest temptation to buy those bootlegged conversions.

Anybody else into this besides me? Know I've raised this before so apologize to those who might find it repetitious.

Last edited by Joe D.; 03-15-2018 at 05:05 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
wildbill722 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 08:10 PM   #182
Joe D. Joe D. is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Joe D.'s Avatar
 
Oct 2015
Bronx, NY
1
Default

Hi 13,

Was looking for an older thread to add my comment too but couldn't come across it, even though I knew it existed. This was before I came on board.

Didn't want to make your job more burdesom. Sorry I did.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
the13thman (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 09:10 PM   #183
the13thman the13thman is offline
Moderator
 
the13thman's Avatar
 
Feb 2015
London, England
8
1971
35
2
2
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Hi 13,

Was looking for an older thread to add my comment too but couldn't come across it, even though I knew it existed. This was before I came on board.

Didn't want to make your job more burdesom. Sorry I did.
No problem Joe, it took me a little while to find it too, it was in the 3D Hardware and Technology Forum so probably better belongs here in the General Discussion forum where you posted. There's some conversion discussion in the conversion wish list thread and other threads here too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:10 AM   #184
Joe D. Joe D. is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Joe D.'s Avatar
 
Oct 2015
Bronx, NY
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thman View Post
No problem Joe, it took me a little while to find it too, it was in the 3D Hardware and Technology Forum so probably better belongs here in the General Discussion forum where you posted. There's some conversion discussion in the conversion wish list thread and other threads here too.
Hi 13,

Tried it with the Cinerama How the West was Won with the smile screen. Sat about two feet in front of my 50 inch set to see if it could reproduce what I read about was the movie theater experience. Saw the sides stick out maybe 60 degrees from the center. Of course, was way too close and was a strain on my eyes. Sitting normal distance didn't recreate such a theater experience but did add detail and depth.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
the13thman (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 01:21 AM   #185
wildbill722 wildbill722 is offline
Expert Member
 
wildbill722's Avatar
 
Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Am watching more discs simulated and really amazed at how good source material can produce a nice semblance of depth and even a rare pop out. For titles not on 3D, its a nice diversion.

This does not replace professional 3D but i have found it as an added treat. Why downgrade it for what it does lack instead of being excited for what it can achieve? Yes, placements are arbitrary, not systematic or contingent on natural elements. But its a nice enough to trick one.

We ordered the bluray Rocky Mountain Express because we were on the railroad during our trip to the Canadian northwest years ago. It appeared so natural with some real breathtaking scenes. Already mentioned the impact with Peter Jackson's King Kong.

Its something to take advantage of, the effect better with bluray or DVD than cable because of the additional options. And it requires experimentation to get the most depth without degrading picture quality and creating ghosts and shimmering. I use the strong simulation setting on my bluray player enabling my monitor to detect an actual 3D signal. I then use -2 on my monitor (range is -2 through +2).

With cable, can only use +2 simulation and it then depends on the source. Golf and nature are great. Saw a big difference in The Space Between Us. With baseball I do not get a true sense of the big ballpark while it works better in basketball.

While not comparing it to professional 3D, it no doubt creates a nice addition of 3D to a flat source and for me is a welcome supplement to the enjoyment of our 3D enthusiasm. Again, calibration of one's monitor is essential. The addition of the darbee is a definite plus.

Won't use it all the time but will be taking advantage of this more often. If anything, it puts to rest temptation to buy those bootlegged conversions.

Anybody else into this besides me? Know I've raised this before so apologize to those who might find it repetitious.
Hey Joey 3d:
I know this is 3d heresy, but I agree with you. It is wonderful to convert 2d to 3d. I love old Star Treks that have been brought up to blu ray and then 3d them. They are so much better; it is liking watching new episodes! I even watched Revenge of the Creature in 3d conversion and it was good! So I guess you and I will be in the 3d doghouse but I am ok with it. It is fun. And that is what life is all about. Do you have a favorite so far? Bill

ps and yes I tried Jackson's KK and it is much better. I love it.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
robgmun (07-02-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 01:44 AM   #186
Joe D. Joe D. is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Joe D.'s Avatar
 
Oct 2015
Bronx, NY
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill722 View Post
Hey Joey 3d:
I know this is 3d heresy, but I agree with you. It is wonderful to convert 2d to 3d. I love old Star Treks that have been brought up to blu ray and then 3d them. They are so much better; it is liking watching new episodes! I even watched Revenge of the Creature in 3d conversion and it was good! So I guess you and I will be in the 3d doghouse but I am ok with it. It is fun. And that is what life is all about. Do you have a favorite so far? Bill

ps and yes I tried Jackson's KK and it is much better. I love it.
Hi wild Bill,

Couldn't think of anyone I'd rather share a doghouse with than you!

Don't see why it would be heresy on the part of some because we are not making the case of comparing it on equal terms with 3D on a professional level, whether it be actual or post conversion. We're looking at it as an additional indulgence.

As far as the favorite, still want to go through more titles. Besides those mentioned before, On Her Majesty's Secret Service was quite good especially with the ski shots. On TV where I am limited to the set's simulation, The Space Between Us was nicely immersive considering it was simulated. Golf gives a good sense of depth along with most nature titles.

What type of adjustments do you make for Blu-ray? Do you tweak both the player and TV like I do? While that'd not good for real 3D, for me it helps with the simulation.

Hey, stop crowding me and move over to your side of the doghouse.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:40 AM   #187
the13thman the13thman is offline
Moderator
 
the13thman's Avatar
 
Feb 2015
London, England
8
1971
35
2
2
Default

I watched Evil Dead II converted and apart from a few lights floating out where they shouldn't be, it looked better than it did in 2D...
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Joe D. (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 03:58 PM   #188
Joe D. Joe D. is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Joe D.'s Avatar
 
Oct 2015
Bronx, NY
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thman View Post
I watched Evil Dead II converted and apart from a few lights floating out where they shouldn't be, it looked better than it did in 2D...
Hi 13,

In general, how do these compare to those bootlegged conversions sold on eBay?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:37 PM   #189
the13thman the13thman is offline
Moderator
 
the13thman's Avatar
 
Feb 2015
London, England
8
1971
35
2
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Hi 13,

In general, how do these compare to those bootlegged conversions sold on eBay?
The only bootlegged conversion I own is Dark Star and I bought that on Amazon - I only watched the first five minutes, it did have a bit of depth to it but my TV could probably do just as good a job.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:56 PM   #190
Joe D. Joe D. is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Joe D.'s Avatar
 
Oct 2015
Bronx, NY
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thman View Post
The only bootlegged conversion I own is Dark Star and I bought that on Amazon - I only watched the first five minutes, it did have a bit of depth to it but my TV could probably do just as good a job.
Hi 13,

That's my feeling too. Thanks as always. Put on an old VHS and actually got a nice bit of depth on the colorized King Kong, though nothing close to the simulation one can get on Blu-ray. It was still fun nonetheless. The darbee pop out setting helped the limited resolution even though my audio receiver also helped up converting and feeding the signal via HDMI. There is only so much one can do with VHS, of course, and it's drawbacks unfortunately are also enhanced. But a good trade off anyway.

Last edited by Joe D.; 03-16-2018 at 09:24 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
the13thman (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 01:03 AM   #191
wildbill722 wildbill722 is offline
Expert Member
 
wildbill722's Avatar
 
Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Hi 13,

In general, how do these compare to those bootlegged conversions sold on eBay?
Hey Joe and Mr. 13th:

What could be better than talking to my two favorite 3d fan(atic)s?

Joe, do you mean the german autoconversions? If so, I believe the lg is far better. I generally go extreme 3d first in manual and try that and if it is too much then try one of the other settings. Sometimes the extreme setting is too much and causes imperfect 3d on the edges. If that happens I go to cinema 3d setting.

Just sitting here watching Salazar's Revenge in cinema setting while typing this(yes you can multi-task and watch 3d these days) and it is VERY good in conversion mode. The scene showing the British ship going after Salazar is phenomenal and if I hadn't seen real 3d I would be very happy to have this as my 3d. It is that good.

Bottom line is the 77 is a converting fool! I feel so bad for people who will never experience what we are experiencing. Such a loss! But I am tired of trying to convert people to 3d anymore. I just don't care. I just pinch myself every day that I got a lifelong wish fulfilled.

I am considering no more 2d for me. It is just so easy to keep lg passive glasses everywhere and throw on a pair and watch everything in 3d.

HAPPY ST. PATRICKS HOLIDAY TO ALL! (And yes I was yelling. Ha.Ha)
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Joe D. (03-17-2018), the13thman (03-19-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 05:48 AM   #192
Joe D. Joe D. is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Joe D.'s Avatar
 
Oct 2015
Bronx, NY
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill722 View Post
Hey Joe and Mr. 13th:

What could be better than talking to my two favorite 3d fan(atic)s?

Joe, do you mean the german autoconversions? If so, I believe the lg is far better. I generally go extreme 3d first in manual and try that and if it is too much then try one of the other settings. Sometimes the extreme setting is too much and causes imperfect 3d on the edges. If that happens I go to cinema 3d setting.

Just sitting here watching Salazar's Revenge in cinema setting while typing this(yes you can multi-task and watch 3d these days) and it is VERY good in conversion mode. The scene showing the British ship going after Salazar is phenomenal and if I hadn't seen real 3d I would be very happy to have this as my 3d. It is that good.

Bottom line is the 77 is a converting fool! I feel so bad for people who will never experience what we are experiencing. Such a loss! But I am tired of trying to convert people to 3d anymore. I just don't care. I just pinch myself every day that I got a lifelong wish fulfilled.

I am considering no more 2d for me. It is just so easy to keep lg passive glasses everywhere and throw on a pair and watch everything in 3d.

HAPPY ST. PATRICKS HOLIDAY TO ALL! (And yes I was yelling. Ha.Ha)
Hi wild(fanatic)bill

Meant all types. Those from Germany as well as Asia that do Dr. No, Charade, Shane, etc.

So you just use your LG simulation only? I do find having the bluray simulated by the player first is better for me because as mentioned, my TV then senses an actual (even though simulated) 3D signal coming in and uses its actual 3D processing rather than 2D conversion circuitry.

I do believe that additional step helps. The impact is stronger than bypassing the player's simulation mode and using the TV's instead.

The best simulated 3D of course goes hand in hand with the best type of picture quality: bluray, then cable HD followed by DVD. Seems natural that it would.

When watching flat HD cable, the effect is still very quite pleasing, but has slightly less the impact of bluray, the amount depending upon the type of content, signal strength and varying degrees of bandwidth. I gather, the set only using its own simulation mode is another reason.

Use the same steps for DVDs as for bluray but because they are 480i up converted, that doesn't allow them to obviously have quite the same picture quality as bluray. Watched parts of Star Wars III DVD this evening. The lower resolution caused subtle ghosting and a bit lesser depth but the 3D was still pleasingly apparent and better than watching flat.

So no matter which type of video I'm watching, there is certainly quality 3D to enjoy. Again, not comparing it to authentic 3D but rather saying this is another way to expand the enjoyment of our "addictions".

Though my better half is, we're all Irish today. Happy St Patty's day to you too.

Last edited by Joe D.; 03-17-2018 at 05:57 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:20 PM   #193
Joe D. Joe D. is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Joe D.'s Avatar
 
Oct 2015
Bronx, NY
1
Default

Hi wildbill,

Was experimenting further with my star wars DVD because I felt maybe the same settings for high resolution Blu-ray would not be right for lower resolution DVD, even though it was being up converted. My hunch was right.

Kept the player's simulation setting at high but left the TV depth at zero rather than -2 like for Blu-ray. This eliminated most all the ghosting issues and reduced the softness of the picture a little bit as well. As far as more depth, there was a bit more too but not enough to write home about.

This is where the advantage of having the darbee really paid off. For Blu-ray I was keeping it in the normal high definition mode. But there is also a mode for lower resolution sources called 3D pop out. I had tried this before for DVD and my own dvd-r recordings and the result was too much harshness and some artifacts so I use it only for VHS (many silent movies are prerecorded and not yet on disc).

Tried it again and this time it worked wonders! Sharper picture with more detail and thus increased depth. Definitely better than last night.

So you might want to try different settings for your DVDs, even without the darbee. But the darbee's lower resolution feature helped improve the overall quality and simulated effect for the star wars DVD. Saw the improvement eith scenes watched last night compared to how they looked today.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:52 PM   #194
wildbill722 wildbill722 is offline
Expert Member
 
wildbill722's Avatar
 
Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina
Default Paul H likes Darbee too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Hi wildbill,

Was experimenting further with my star wars DVD because I felt maybe the same settings for high resolution Blu-ray would not be right for lower resolution DVD, even though it was being up converted. My hunch was right.

Kept the player's simulation setting at high but left the TV depth at zero rather than -2 like for Blu-ray. This eliminated most all the ghosting issues and reduced the softness of the picture a little bit as well. As far as more depth, there was a bit more too but not enough to write home about.

This is where the advantage of having the darbee really paid off. For Blu-ray I was keeping it in the normal high definition mode. But there is also a mode for lower resolution sources called 3D pop out. I had tried this before for DVD and my own dvd-r recordings and the result was too much harshness and some artifacts so I use it only for VHS (many silent movies are prerecorded and not yet on disc).

Tried it again and this time it worked wonders! Sharper picture with more detail and thus increased depth. Definitely better than last night.

So you might want to try different settings for your DVDs, even without the darbee. But the darbee's lower resolution feature helped improve the overall quality and simulated effect for the star wars DVD. Saw the improvement eith scenes watched last night compared to how they looked today.
I can see a darbee in my future. I have a lot of non blu ray stuff I want to watch in 3d as well. Thank you. Where do you recommend I buy from? Bill
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:31 AM   #195
Joe D. Joe D. is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Joe D.'s Avatar
 
Oct 2015
Bronx, NY
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill722 View Post
I can see a darbee in my future. I have a lot of non blu ray stuff I want to watch in 3d as well. Thank you. Where do you recommend I buy from? Bill
Hi wildbill,

This is the link from darbeevision listing the retailers where you can find one.

http://www.darbeevision.com/products/dvp5000s

Suggest you order one fast since they're becoming scarce.

As said, it will improve the quality of all your video sources, cable, Blu-ray, DVD, VHS and gaming. And doing so, it automatically increases the depth on 3d due to the added detail. If you want, send me a private message and I can let you know more how I use mine.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
BLMN (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 03:11 AM   #196
Auglenson Auglenson is offline
Junior Member
 
Apr 2018
Default

2D to 3D is worst then real 3D content.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:37 AM   #197
Joe D. Joe D. is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Joe D.'s Avatar
 
Oct 2015
Bronx, NY
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auglenson View Post
2D to 3D is worst then real 3D content.
No argument. But converting to 3D is nicer than 2D.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
the13thman (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 08:30 PM   #198
BLMN BLMN is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Feb 2011
Southern NH
58
449
37
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Hi wildbill,

This is the link from darbeevision listing the retailers where you can find one.

http://www.darbeevision.com/products/dvp5000s

Suggest you order one fast since they're becoming scarce.

As said, it will improve the quality of all your video sources, cable, Blu-ray, DVD, VHS and gaming. And doing so, it automatically increases the depth on 3d due to the added detail. If you want, send me a private message and I can let you know more how I use mine.
This darbee thing wouldve been great with my old setup, now i upgraded everything 4k and theres no darbee 4k hrd dv passthrough available yet. guess will hold on that one.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:10 AM   #199
Joe D. Joe D. is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Joe D.'s Avatar
 
Oct 2015
Bronx, NY
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLMN View Post
This darbee thing wouldve been great with my old setup, now i upgraded everything 4k and theres no darbee 4k hrd dv passthrough available yet. guess will hold on that one.
Hi BLMN,

But your 3D collection is not 4K. Does the set upgrade everything to 4K?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:02 AM   #200
BLMN BLMN is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Feb 2011
Southern NH
58
449
37
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Hi BLMN,

But your 3D collection is not 4K. Does the set upgrade everything to 4K?
Yes Joe, the TV upscales 3D1080p to 4K and it looks great.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Joe D. (06-09-2018)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:52 AM.