Best Wii U Game Deals

Best Wii U Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Splatoon (Wii U)
$42.40

Skylanders: Trap Team (Wii U)
$99.99

Star Fox Zero (Wii U)
$12.92

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii U

Old 12-15-2015, 12:41 PM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
Default Wii U seems to have a bad reputation

Hi,

I got a Wii U for my kids for xmass. (don't tell them yo.)

And I read a lot of negative things about it but so far it seems fantastic to me.

My kids 2 favorite games ever are Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros and I have those pre-loaded.

Maybe I just have a pre-disposition to bad consoles or maybe it's the best consoles have the worst reputations.

(I still have and pretty much love my Sega DreamCast.)

I also have unqualified successful consoles like the original Wii and PS3... just seems to me the Wii U gets subjected to a lot of unwarranted negativity.

I have never wanted an Xbox of any type and the new pay to play online PS4 doesn't appeal to me either.... I guess I just have bad taste in VG consoles.

-Brian
Old 12-15-2015, 01:08 PM   #2
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Sega master system was my choice over Nintendo entertainment system.

Anyway, Nintendo used to compete with other brands while Sega was still alive in the console market. Once their main competitor quit that buis.. All resources went into gizmos instead of competing with non gaming brands such as Sony & MS. Who knew Electronic brands would of dominated our current gen after N64?

So people kinda grew up & moved onto more mature games which Nintendo doesn't do. I still play them, but I'm immature.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:19 PM   #3
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
Hi,

I got a Wii U for my kids for xmass. (don't tell them yo.)

And I read a lot of negative things about it but so far it seems fantastic to me.

My kids 2 favorite games ever are Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros and I have those pre-loaded.

Maybe I just have a pre-disposition to bad consoles or maybe it's the best consoles have the worst reputations.

(I still have and pretty much love my Sega DreamCast.)

I also have unqualified successful consoles like the original Wii and PS3... just seems to me the Wii U gets subjected to a lot of unwarranted negativity.

I have never wanted an Xbox of any type and the new pay to play online PS4 doesn't appeal to me either.... I guess I just have bad taste in VG consoles.

-Brian
The Wii U is great for kids, as there's a ton of age-appropriate content plus kids typically don't pay attention to the "console wars" and just want to play fun games. Plus they'll have fun collecting the Amiibos.

For me, I love my Wii U as a companion console but I would be pissed if it were my only console, simply because it's so devoid of 3rd party support and their online network is so inferior to Live and PSN. Also I'm not terribly crazy about the tablet controller design either but I tolerate it for the great Nintendo exclusives. I bought a pro controller separately (I recommend it) which I use almost exclusively. I've enjoyed the system but I would be lying if I didn't admit that I already have my eyes on the horizon, looking forward to seeing what the NX is going to bring.

Last edited by Steelmaker; 12-15-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:00 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
For me, I love my Wii U as a companion console but I would be pissed if it were my only console
I'd look for a different hobby altogether if the wii u was my main gaming system
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (12-17-2015), TaxiTodd (12-22-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 07:11 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talal86 View Post
I'd look for a different hobby altogether if the wii u was my main gaming system
Wii U is actually one of my only two gaming systems this generation. It's Wii U + 3DS.
Because I got fed up with all the horrible things Sony has done in the last few years. And I'm also pretty much done with the dumbed down AAA industry. I'm done with broken games as a whole.

May I ask, why I should look for a different hobby?

btw. my backlog is over 100 games. In fact it's 166 games. Almost all of them physical games. Includes all sorts of last gen games too. Plenty of Wii games. Also includes around 40 Wii U games.

Last edited by jimidini; 12-15-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:35 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimidini View Post
Wii U is actually one of my only two gaming systems this generation. It's Wii U + 3DS.
shocking!

Quote:
I never said you should look for a different hobby

I was talking about myself, the wii u library is too 'culty' for my liking, I only enjoyed a few games

the only game I've loved is Wind Waker HD, enjoyed Splatoon and Bayonetta 2, kind of liked Hyrule Warriors, and it's too soon to judge Xenoblade

PC, Ps4 and X1 have more variety that that I personally enjoy, so if I don't have access to these, I'd retire gaming (even the 3ds and vita have better libraries than the Wii U)

more power to you for loving it, though
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (12-17-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 07:59 PM   #7
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Because I got fed up with all the horrible things Sony has done in the last few years. And I'm also pretty much done with the dumbed down AAA industry. I'm done with broken games as a whole.

btw. my backlog is over 100 games. In fact it's 166 games. Almost all of them physical games. Includes all sorts of last gen games too. Plenty of Wii games. Also includes around 40 Wii U games.
Um

If you can afford that many games, I suggest branching out.

The only thing Wii U has in its favor is it has to actually rely on physical media for playback unlike Sony & MS who rely strictly on HDD alone.
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (12-17-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 08:18 PM   #8
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:

Do tell!

I like the Wii U but Nintendo needs to diversify more. They have become way too dependent on a small number of their existing IP's and have ignored a large number of their others. Where is Metroid? Where is Kid Icarus? Where is Punch Out? Where is FZero? Where is Pilotwings? Where is Waverace? Where is Earthbound? Plus the system will be in it's 4th year before we finally get a new Zelda or Star Fox. That's unacceptable. They also need to create new characters/IP's. Splatoon is a step in the right direction but they need to be more aggressive with this.

Also the Wii U is too top heavy with platformers. Just off the top of my head...

Super Mario U
Super Luigi U
Super Mario 3D World
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Yoshi's Wooly World
Mario Maker
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

and that's just 1st party. Throw in titles like Rayman Legends, Sonic Boom, etc and you have even more.

And you know what? None of this would even be an issue if the Wii U had the same 3rd party support that X1 and PS4 has. It certainly has made waiting on Sony's big IP's a lot more tolerable.

Last edited by Steelmaker; 12-15-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (12-17-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 08:27 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
USA

Also, don't forget that Wii U offers the greatest Lego game ever made:

LEGO CITY UNDERCOVER

The Wii U is my only gaming system and I am perfectly content with it
Thanks given by:
Derb (12-15-2015), KillaCam (12-16-2015), ps3bd_owner (12-17-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 09:28 PM   #10
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad_1138 View Post
Also, don't forget that Wii U offers the greatest Lego game ever made:

LEGO CITY UNDERCOVER

The Wii U is my only gaming system and I am perfectly content with it
That's a good game. If you own a Wii U & don't have this, you are missing out on Lego's best.
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (12-17-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 09:59 PM   #11
Banned

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
The only thing Wii U has in its favor is it has to actually rely on physical media for playback unlike Sony & MS who rely strictly on HDD alone.
What is this supposed to mean? Why is it a disadvantage that disc based games are installed to the hard drive on PS4? I reduces wear on both the disc and the disc drive.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:55 AM   #12
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinMaster View Post
What is this supposed to mean? Why is it a disadvantage that disc based games are installed to the hard drive on PS4? I reduces wear on both the disc and the disc drive.
A HDD only has so many TBW's.

A disc is limitless, A drive is replaceable.
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (12-17-2015), ps3bd_owner (12-17-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 01:29 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
DFW TX

The Wii U has flaws but overall it makes an excellent secondary system. Plus seeing all my favorite Nintendo franchises in HD for the first time is worth the purchase for me.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:37 AM   #14
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

The new Mario Tennis for it is pretty fun.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:30 AM   #15
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

The reputation Nintendo has seems to be more from older games like myself than the younger crowd. I think it mostly has to do with Nintendo having had massive third party support throughout the NES and SNES era and to a lesser degree N64. Back then Nintendo catered to both soft and hardcore gamers. A lot of us miss those days.

These days Nintendo consoles have extremely little third party support outside of their handhelds. With the Wii and Wii U Nintendo went all put for the casual gamer and that carried over to the Wii. That strategy worked for the Wii because they had a gimmick (motion controls) that generated a ton of casual gamer interest. But with the Wii U they tried a new gimmick with the oversized, overly expensive Gamepad, which flopped pretty badly. Just look at how sad looking any Wii/Wii U gaming section of retail stores are for evidence.

I myself and many other older gamers just want Nintendo to drop the gimmicks and put out a top of the line console with PSN/Xbox Live quality online gaming that will bring back third party support to Nintendo consoles. Sadly it seems Nintendo has no intention of that. I still buy Nintendo consoles and love Nintendo first party games but these days I play my PS3 and 4 about 90% of the time with Wii/Wii U maybe 10% smply due to lack of quality games.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:57 AM   #16
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

Hey,

Thanks for the reply's ... The talk about disc vs digital was interesting in particular because I hope to avoid disc completely with the wii U.

Strange notion because I feel very strongly about saving physical media but I prefer if my kids can just turn it on and play so I'm using the "digital code" option to buy the Wii U games. I already have a old laptop 500GB drive hooked up with a Y cable so that it doesn't need another power cord.

I have a Wii (which I hope to retire) that was a garage sale purchase and had it soft modded so that all the games loaded from Hard Drive and the result was amazing convince. I think I prefer Digital Copies for sure for VG going forward. That's not to say I'm all for Physical media going away because at the same time I recently got a Roku and most streaming looks like total unwatchable crap... so as far as movies go I will still fight for physical media.

-Brian

Last edited by bhampton; 12-16-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:20 PM   #17
Banned

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
A HDD only has so many TBW's.

A disc is limitless, A drive is replaceable.
While a disc doesn't specifically have any limits it is much more likely to get scratched if it's constantly spinning instead of just sitting in the drive. A PS4 hard drive is much cheaper and easier to replace than the optical drive in a Wii U or PS4: the hard drive isn't proprietary and it is designed to be replaceable.

I've had plenty of hard drives break so I understand that problem, but I'm much more concerned about something breaking that can't be easily replaced. It is unlikely that there will ever be a point that I can't replace a PS4 hard drive easily, but in the future replacing a Wii U or PS4 optical drive could be very difficult. And if a rare game you have happens to get damaged from use, that would be difficult and/or expensive to replace as well.

Last edited by PenguinMaster; 12-16-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:26 PM   #18
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Well I'm a PC gamer. Give me a mouse and keyboard over a console controller any day.

That said a few years ago we got a Wii mostly for the wife, but I ended up loving it. It was simple and it was fun.

I haven't spun it up yet as my home theater isn't quite done, but I recently bought a Wii U thinking it's newer, used HDMI, was HD, and would still run the classic Wii games.

Then after buying it I started reading up on it and it frankly seems like a mess. Some games are in HD, some aren't, you have to look at 3rd party lists to see what's what. Some games run online only, others are traditional. Running original Wii games involves some effort. And the killer, there's been almost no Wii U specific games made. I mean it's literally a handful.

But on the flipside I'd never buy a PS4 or Xbox as I'd much rather run the titles released on them on my PC.

I'm hoping whatever Nintendo releases next returns to the simplicity of the original Wii.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:38 PM   #19
Banned

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondosinatra View Post
Then after buying it I started reading up on it and it frankly seems like a mess. Some games are in HD, some aren't, you have to look at 3rd party lists to see what's what. Some games run online only, others are traditional. Running original Wii games involves some effort. And the killer, there's been almost no Wii U specific games made. I mean it's literally a handful.
I don't know where you are getting your information, but other than some games being online only (which is true of all consoles and PC) all of this is false.

Last edited by PenguinMaster; 12-16-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:47 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondosinatra View Post
Well I'm a PC gamer. Give me a mouse and keyboard over a console controller any day.

That said a few years ago we got a Wii mostly for the wife, but I ended up loving it. It was simple and it was fun.

I haven't spun it up yet as my home theater isn't quite done, but I recently bought a Wii U thinking it's newer, used HDMI, was HD, and would still run the classic Wii games.

But on the flipside I'd never buy a PS4 or Xbox as I'd much rather run the titles released on them on my PC.

I'm hoping whatever Nintendo releases next returns to the simplicity of the original Wii.
Every title is in HD, playing wii games is simple as launching the wii interface and there are loads of awesome first party games to enjoy. I'm currently enjoying my wii u way more than my PS4 and XB1. A few recommended titles that you should love are: Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3, Super Mario World 3D, Splatoon and my current favorite Xenoblade Chronicles X.

There are plenty of other games to enjoy as well with many more to look forward to releasing. Haven't turned my XB1 on in about a month and I've been using my PS4 just to play friends on madden or as a blu-ray player for my movies. I promise that once you actually play the system you will enjoy it

Last edited by KillaCam; 12-16-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (12-17-2015)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii U