Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Columbia Classics Collection: Volume 1 4K (Blu-ray)
$112.99

Batman 4-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$59.96
4 hrs ago
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.96
7 hrs ago
Laurel & Hardy (Blu-ray)
$59.99
8 hrs ago
Mad Max: Fury Road 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
6 hrs ago
Uncut Gems (Blu-ray)
$17.36
4 hrs ago
Blade: Triple Feature (Blu-ray)
$9.96
4 hrs ago
Shrek: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.50

Jumanji: The Next Level (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.50

Despicable Me 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Feedback Forum

Old 09-22-2019, 11:30 PM   #1
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2011
Default Banned for "piracy"

First, let me say unequivocally that it is not my intention to antagonize the moderation. The two-day suspension has come and gone. It's water under the bridge.

I would just like to know exactly why I was suspended for "piracy" when I have no recollection of ever posting links to torrenting sites or even openly discussing it on the forums.

Clarification would be helpful because if I unwittingly broke a forum rule, knowing how will prevent me from doing it again.

Last edited by Cremildo; 09-23-2019 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Bad English
Old 09-23-2019, 03:56 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-

General experience -- you'll never get an explanation as to why you were suspended or had a post removed, if it was a mistake or misunderstanding, if you posted in a thread that had some other talk of bootleg titles/burning/copying discs or some other issue and you just got caught in the crossfire.

Someone could have mixed your screen name with someone posting about bootlegs, or someone like PrinceYann reported a post from a 'damned foreigner' which must be something nefarious and they suspended first and forgot to ask questions later.

That would be admitting they screwed up which is not going to happen, that they forgot to investigate properly which is not going to happen, or they misread a post which is not going to happen

I like this board and the owners can pretty much do as they wish since it's technically a private entity, but the absolute lack of transparency and accountability is a well known issue. We have all been left guessing over the years trying to figure out what the rules and guidelines are. Explaining why something was incorrect (intentionally or unintentionally) so you can self correct seems to not be allowed.

"We have a new board game we want everyone to play. I know the rules, but I'm not going to tell you since you should be smart enough to figure it out on your own."
Thanks given by:
Cremildo (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 04:22 PM   #3
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
[Show spoiler]General experience -- you'll never get an explanation as to why you were suspended or had a post removed, if it was a mistake or misunderstanding, if you posted in a thread that had some other talk of bootleg titles/burning/copying discs or some other issue and you just got caught in the crossfire.

Someone could have mixed your screen name with someone posting about bootlegs, or someone like PrinceYann reported a post from a 'damned foreigner' which must be something nefarious and they suspended first and forgot to ask questions later.

That would be admitting they screwed up which is not going to happen, that they forgot to investigate properly which is not going to happen, or they misread a post which is not going to happen

I like this board and the owners can pretty much do as they wish since it's technically a private entity, but the absolute lack of transparency and accountability is a well known issue. We have all been left guessing over the years trying to figure out what the rules and guidelines are. Explaining why something was incorrect (intentionally or unintentionally) so you can self correct seems to not be allowed.

"We have a new board game we want everyone to play. I know the rules, but I'm not going to tell you since you should be smart enough to figure it out on your own."
It's unfortunate if that's the case, because as you yourself pointed out, being transparent about the reasoning behind the suspensions is the best way for the user to avoid breaking a forum rule again - that is, if he actually broke a forum rule. I still have no idea what my alleged sin was.

This is all I got on Friday night:

That doesn't tell me much. I'm perfectly aware that piracy is a no-go here, so I've never shared download links or promoted bootlegs.

It'd be more reasonable if, along with the ban message, there was a quote with the offending post(s).
Old 09-23-2019, 05:02 PM   #4
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

You might have better luck private messaging a mod/admin, and asking them.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:33 PM   #5
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2011

I haven't had much luck contacting mods this year for things as simple as thread title change requests, so I'm not sure if questions about my ban would be welcome.

I might as well just leave it alone, and hope the kafkaesque suspension hammer doesn't hit my head again.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:51 PM   #6

Oct 2010
Rhode Island

You were wrongfully suspended, and I apologize for that.

I actually contacted the moderator responsible for your suspension yesterday afternoon after I noticed your suspended status (prior to this thread being created). I typically wouldn't have gone out of my way, but I was surprised since I know you're a regular around the forums and you abide by the rules.

A member reported you for piracy because you posted in the "Name the Last Movie You Watched in Your Home Theater" thread that you watched "In Fabric", a film that does not debut theatrically in the USA until December 2019. I suppose no one took into account your location (Brazil) or the fact that the film had been released in the country since September 2018.

Last edited by Scottie; 09-23-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Thanks given by:
Bodyslide (09-24-2019), Cremildo (09-23-2019), DvdClon (09-24-2019), hanshotfirst1138 (10-21-2019), hariseldon (09-24-2019), Heapashifter (09-28-2019), Heinz-Klett (09-24-2019), LordoftheRings (09-23-2019), MifuneFan (09-23-2019), QuickQuestion (02-08-2020), rdodolak (09-24-2019), Red's got the Blu's (10-07-2019), ronboster (09-24-2019), Sandersobsessed (09-24-2019), Strapped4Cash (09-24-2019), The_Donster (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 09:56 PM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
You were unjustly suspended, and for that I apologize.

I actually contacted the moderator responsible for your suspension yesterday afternoon after I noticed your suspended status (prior to this thread being created). I typically wouldn't have gone out of my way, but I know you're a regular around the forums and you abide by the rules.

A member reported you for piracy because you posted in the "Name the Last Movie You Watched in Your Home Theater" thread that you watched "In Fabric", a film that does not debut theatrically in the USA until December 2019. I suppose no one took into account your location (Brazil) or the fact that the film had been released in the country in September 2018.
If that's the case, your moderators should also keep in mind some movies are legally available long before their official release to those of us who go to movie festivals.

There are specific titles I have watched at festivals that didn't get a commercial release until 1-3 years after being shown at some festival screening. All perfectly legal!
Old 09-23-2019, 10:43 PM   #8
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2011

Quote:
[Show spoiler]You were wrongfully suspended, and I apologize for that.

I actually contacted the moderator responsible for your suspension yesterday afternoon after I noticed your suspended status (prior to this thread being created). I typically wouldn't have gone out of my way, but I was surprised since I know you're a regular around the forums and you abide by the rules.

A member reported you for piracy because you posted in the "Name the Last Movie You Watched in Your Home Theater" thread that you watched "In Fabric", a film that does not debut theatrically in the USA until December 2019. I suppose no one took into account your location (Brazil) or the fact that the film had been released in the country since September 2018.
Thank you very much for taking the time to contact the other moderator and to clarify things here. I really appreciate it.

Last edited by Cremildo; 09-24-2019 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Unnecessary prolonging of the subject. The issue has been solved.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:14 PM   #9
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBonnet View Post
If that's the case, your moderators should also keep in mind some movies are legally available long before their official release to those of us who go to movie festivals.

There are specific titles I have watched at festivals that didn't get a commercial release until 1-3 years after being shown at some festival screening. All perfectly legal!
Also some of us have time machines. Blade Runner 3175 was amazing.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:28 PM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
Also some of us have time machines. Blade Runner 3175 was amazing.
You're skating on thin ice!

Thanks given by:
MifuneFan (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 10:10 AM   #11

Mar 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
someone like PrinceYann reported a post from a 'damned foreigner'
I am Brazilian and the country is a barrel of rotten apples. When you see a tiger, it is safer to assume it is dangerous than to assume it is house trained. Mistakes happen, but I think the mods handled this well given the constraints.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:54 PM   #12
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008

Quote:
You were wrongfully suspended, and I apologize for that.

Scottie

That is kind of a bad policy. Recently moderators around here have just been doing some weird or unorthodox things. Banning someone with no explanation because they simply said they watched something in a home theater before it came out in a region is not piracy. With digital releases 3+ weeks before physical on mediums like Vudu or MoviesAnywhere your telling me someone could suspend me for listing Spiderman Far From Home as the last movie I watched not realizing I could have downloaded it from Vudu or yes like others automatically think I could have downloaded it from a torrent site.

Piracy or advocating Piracy would be someone linking a torrent of a movie or game or emu on pirate******* or something. This is just my opinion I get that in todays landscape its harder for you guys to mod things. But there has been a ton of suspensions or bannings that do not need to happen because thins are assumed.

It would be nice if we had a way to contact a mod during ban or suspension in cases like this so this does not happen again. Just my .02
Thanks given by:
Cremildo (09-24-2019), Sandersobsessed (09-24-2019), Trekkie313 (10-12-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 03:59 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
New York City

there should be some kind of checks and balances in place to prevent things like this...one rogue mod or even a mistake by a mod should not be the final word...there should be a way of making sure the ban was warranted
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Feedback Forum