Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Shawscope Volume Two (Blu-ray)
$89.45
15 hrs ago
The Red Balloon and Other Stories: Five Films by Albert Lamorisse (Blu-ray)
$55.99
1 day ago
Dawn of the Dead / Land of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$5.99
17 hrs ago
Blue Steel (Blu-ray)
$15.79
1 day ago
The Equalizer 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
19 hrs ago
The Equalizer 3-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$48.55
 
The Venture Bros.: Radiant is the Blood of the Baboon Heart (Blu-ray)
$14.96
20 hrs ago
Rudy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
9 hrs ago
The Girl from Rio 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.84
1 day ago
The Exorcist (Blu-ray)
$6.99
14 hrs ago
Bourne: The Ultimate Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
4 hrs ago
The Flash 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #201
red_5ive red_5ive is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
red_5ive's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Temecula, CA
18
273
893
4
2
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP View Post
I guess what I’m getting at is, how loud do you guys listen to your movies?
I had my SPL handy so I took a reading using the train-wheel sequence in The Island at my normal "loud" listening level that I'm comfortable with. SPL at C weighting/Slow, I'd guesstimate an 80db avg, and note this is in my 2nd setup with avg. speaker distance of 5.5'. That's comfortable for me for the most part, but maybe a little loud at some peaks. However that's probably not driving the system very hard given my proximity and smaller room.

Last edited by red_5ive; 06-24-2011 at 11:15 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:24 PM   #202
Kali157 Kali157 is offline
Special Member
 
Nov 2009
43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post
Strange that the empire amp doesnít even get warm and the design is so much like the legend. If I had to guess I would say that the amp isnít a good match to the sub.
Exactly what I am thinking... Design is similar, but the amp rating is a pretty big drop while the woofer size is only 3".

Warm to touch is okay. So hot that you cannot keep your hands there... seems excessive.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:31 PM   #203
Kali157 Kali157 is offline
Special Member
 
Nov 2009
43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrellB View Post
I was on the legend preorder and was one of the first to get my duals. I have not had a problem as of yet. They have performed admirably. I will say my amps do run warm to hot but so does my B&K amps and they are 7 years old. My B&K's actually run a little hotter. I think ReggaetonSalsero is mistaken into thinking that just because you spend 600 on a sub doesnt mean the sub does not have limitations. You are wrong in that sense. You push anything beyond its capabilities it will break. If you force the amp into clipping, it could damage the amp as well as the driver. How high are your ceilings? 12x18 is not a small room and depend on your ceiling height, could be to big for one legend to pressurize. I think you are expecting too much from a small sub. I have duals in my room and while they do a great job, I didnt expect them to just pound my room. I knew what I was buying and that was a sealed sub system that would produce nice tight deep bass. I think you were looking for an spl monster which it is not. How did you calibrate your sub? I am not taking up for Epik at all because when I first got mine, they were almost on the first fedex truck back to them until they broke in. Like I said, my B&K amps run hotter and I have always been told thats just how they are. Onkyo's are the same way. I just think you bought something that you expected more from in the way of spl and its not it. Dont be offended by my statements, as they are just observations and opinions.
Limitations yes... amp shutting off at the levels he described, no.

Derrell, any chance you can take temp measurements of the amp plate after a movie workout? Maybe some people are just extremely sensitive to temp... wusses (just kidding guys).
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:47 PM   #204
red_5ive red_5ive is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
red_5ive's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Temecula, CA
18
273
893
4
2
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali157 View Post
Limitations yes... amp shutting off at the levels he described, no.

Derrell, any chance you can take temp measurements of the amp plate after a movie workout? Maybe some people are just extremely sensitive to temp... wusses (just kidding guys).
Well, you can fry an egg on it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:06 AM   #205
RocShemp RocShemp is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Jul 2009
2
Default

Although I love my two Legends, I wonder if the amp issues might make Epik open to the notion of us trading up our Legend amps for Empire amps. Not for free, since I assume the Empire amps are more expensive, but rather for some reasonable "upgrade" price.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #206
ReggaetonSalsero ReggaetonSalsero is offline
Senior Member
 
Jan 2008
Florida (from Brooklyn)
14
21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
Although I love my two Legends, I wonder if the amp issues might make Epik open to the notion of us trading up our Legend amps for Empire amps. Not for free, since I assume the Empire amps are more expensive, but rather for some reasonable "upgrade" price.
That's what i was thinking. MAN u guys here have some SERIOUS home theaters.....LOVE IT!! I notice in some of ur home theater setups, u guys have ur couches close to the tv.....i'm about 11 - 12 feet away from my tv and set up. Believe it or not, I had my E.D.Sub, just one A2 -300 with the same distance, same open concept...living room 12 X 18......and that woofer worked great, never got hot or turned off, sounded GREAT and i had a denon avr 4308 with the full db on the receiver setup and the ed sub's knobb on half and it would pound and never gave me these issues. Now i have a onkyo 609, i don't even have it on full db, i have it on ZERO on the receiver, which can go from -15 to +15 (so i'm in the middle of those at 0 ), then i have the sub knob on half on the epik.....there is NO reason i should have this lack of bass since it's a dual driver and stronger amp then the a2 300. I mean i pumped that ed.....i haven't even pushed this epik.

The reason i bought the epik is because a few people on HERE actually recommended it to me after i told them the above specs. They said it was a better and more powerful sub then the ed and instead of getting another ed a2 300 or instead of getting 2 smaller subs, to get the legend. Well that's what i did. My expectations were that i would get something better than what i already had that was working base db wise to begin with. I damaged my ed which is why i had to get another sub. I don't think i'm being overly unrealistic as to what to expect if my ed a2 300 was less powerful and only one driver as opposed to 2 12 inch drivers and 300 watt amp. And again, guys HERE recommended it to me. I never even heard of epik til i got all these recommendations. I was gonna go with an hsu but they didn't have the one that i wanted til late summer. So I followed the advice of people here. If a small ed a2 300 can give me what i want, then this bigger epik should give me at least the same if not a bit more no?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:18 AM   #207
ReggaetonSalsero ReggaetonSalsero is offline
Senior Member
 
Jan 2008
Florida (from Brooklyn)
14
21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
Although I love my two Legends, I wonder if the amp issues might make Epik open to the notion of us trading up our Legend amps for Empire amps. Not for free, since I assume the Empire amps are more expensive, but rather for some reasonable "upgrade" price.
Well, i sent an email to chad asking him that same question and asked since i've been going through these headaches if he can just swap out the epik legend amp for an empire amp and if it would even fit but i haven't heard from him and that was the same day u posted this. I am going to connect the new sub when i have time, maybe saturday or sunday when i'm home and have enough time to do it. Here is hoping this one works lol I'll keep u guys posted. Chad sent me a free t shirt that says epik on it. Also. Cool guy as i've been saying.

Last edited by ReggaetonSalsero; 06-30-2011 at 06:08 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:50 PM   #208
ReggaetonSalsero ReggaetonSalsero is offline
Senior Member
 
Jan 2008
Florida (from Brooklyn)
14
21
Default Second Epik Legend Sub Replacement

Well guys, i got the second sub replacement and it works like a charm. Chad said that the first box definitely had issues but the replacement so far has given me NO issues. If it does, Chad will take care of it he said but as of now, it hasn't given me any issues. True i have not really blasted it or tried using it's full power but for now, i have the receiver on a ZERO (the receiver can go from Postitve 15 to Negative 15 so Zero is right in the middle. And i have the Subs knobb on half. On this so far, it's working. I plan on pushing it soon but since it has 3 year warranty there is no rush. I totally appreciate Chad sending me a new sub and taking back the first one and sending me a second amp as well to see if that was the issue. Right now it's a boomie but Chad says cause it's new that the sub has to breakin first and then the boomie sound will go away, which i'm sure that is the case He sent me a T shirt as well that says Epik. I appreciate it all and the process he went through to make sure i get a working item. I'll keep u posted when i really push it. I'm glad this is all taken care of finally The ONLY thing so far that worries me is that the AMP gets REALLY hot again. Seems all those amps get too hot for the touch BUT if it goes out, at least i know Chad would replace the amp cause it does have 3 years warranty So far so good
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #209
de Rookie de Rookie is offline
Senior Member
 
Mar 2011
1
Default

Great news, Reg! Mine's been working like a champ since my 2nd amp was installed and I've been using the heck out of it. Movies around -10.0 to -8.0db. Volume knob is around a 3rd, calibrated with Audyssey and an SPL meter.

Heck, I even threw a review up

https://www.blu-ray.com/Epik-Subwoof...ow=userreviews
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #210
ReggaetonSalsero ReggaetonSalsero is offline
Senior Member
 
Jan 2008
Florida (from Brooklyn)
14
21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by de Rookie View Post
Great news, Reg! Mine's been working like a champ since my 2nd amp was installed and I've been using the heck out of it. Movies around -10.0 to -8.0db. Volume knob is around a 3rd, calibrated with Audyssey and an SPL meter.

Heck, I even threw a review up

https://www.blu-ray.com/Epik-Subwoof...ow=userreviews
I saw ur home theater setup...NICEEEEEEEEE setup. WOW u have 2 subs. Have u ran it withOUT that second sub? Maybe it sounds as awesome as u say cause u have 2 subs? I'm not saying it's not a good sub cause i do like it way better than the E.D. A2 300 i have for sure. How big is ur room size? I let my audyssey set up the calibration, i ran it 3 times and all 3 times i got a different calibration, like night and day different. Weird but in the end i just put it all on 80z and 120 lpe with the sub knob on half and the receiver on Zero balance (half).
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #211
de Rookie de Rookie is offline
Senior Member
 
Mar 2011
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggaetonSalsero View Post
I saw ur home theater setup...NICEEEEEEEEE setup. WOW u have 2 subs. Have u ran it withOUT that second sub? Maybe it sounds as awesome as u say cause u have 2 subs? I'm not saying it's not a good sub cause i do like it way better than the E.D. A2 300 i have for sure. How big is ur room size? I let my audyssey set up the calibration, i ran it 3 times and all 3 times i got a different calibration, like night and day different. Weird but in the end i just put it all on 80z and 120 lpe with the sub knob on half and the receiver on Zero balance (half).
Thanks, Reg.

Actually, since I've been breaking in the Epik and getting a feel of how it sounds I haven't run the other sub much in tandem with it. Maybe 3 times total. The Legend definitely blows the JBL E250P away though. It really fills the room with sound and vibrations

My room is 20'W X 14'L (but open-backed into the kitchen) X 10'H. Hardwood floors with a big area rug in the center. The Legend along the front wall on the right, the JBL on the front wall on the left. I ran Audyssey with just the Legend on, then individually dialed in the subs with an SPL meter afterward. I plan to get another sub (probably another Legend) and a bass correction device like the Velodyne SMS-1, probably around winter.

Everytime I run Audyssey I get near identical results. The only thing that really changed was the sub distance and level. On the sub level in particular, the JBL was -3.5db and the Epik was -4.5db. I ticked it up to -3.0db in both cases, then used my SPL meter + volume knob + test tone CD. When I first got the Legend working the volume was higher than the 1/3 it's on now. Every week I do the SPL meter check and adjust and I end up turning down the volume a tad every time.

Also, as far as running Audyssey I have my procedure. Turn off HVAC, unplug bar and kitchen refrigerators, turn off fans, and crate my dog in another room. I find myself almost holding my breath too, haha.

I run the Legend about 3 to 5db hot, and the E250P about -1db cold. The reason for that on the JBL is to avoid port chuffing.

When I hit the 80 hour use mark I'll re-run Audyssey (I actually ran it again already last weekend). I'll probably tick back on the JBL then as well. The Legend impresses more and more with each hour of use that passes (as those drivers break in). I'm sure after a month or so you'll find yourself turning yours down too
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:46 AM   #212
ReggaetonSalsero ReggaetonSalsero is offline
Senior Member
 
Jan 2008
Florida (from Brooklyn)
14
21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by de Rookie View Post
Thanks, Reg.

Actually, since I've been breaking in the Epik and getting a feel of how it sounds I haven't run the other sub much in tandem with it. Maybe 3 times total. The Legend definitely blows the JBL E250P away though. It really fills the room with sound and vibrations

My room is 20'W X 14'L (but open-backed into the kitchen) X 10'H. Hardwood floors with a big area rug in the center. The Legend along the front wall on the right, the JBL on the front wall on the left. I ran Audyssey with just the Legend on, then individually dialed in the subs with an SPL meter afterward. I plan to get another sub (probably another Legend) and a bass correction device like the Velodyne SMS-1, probably around winter.

Everytime I run Audyssey I get near identical results. The only thing that really changed was the sub distance and level. On the sub level in particular, the JBL was -3.5db and the Epik was -4.5db. I ticked it up to -3.0db in both cases, then used my SPL meter + volume knob + test tone CD. When I first got the Legend working the volume was higher than the 1/3 it's on now. Every week I do the SPL meter check and adjust and I end up turning down the volume a tad every time.

Also, as far as running Audyssey I have my procedure. Turn off HVAC, unplug bar and kitchen refrigerators, turn off fans, and crate my dog in another room. I find myself almost holding my breath too, haha.

I run the Legend about 3 to 5db hot, and the E250P about -1db cold. The reason for that on the JBL is to avoid port chuffing.

When I hit the 80 hour use mark I'll re-run Audyssey (I actually ran it again already last weekend). I'll probably tick back on the JBL then as well. The Legend impresses more and more with each hour of use that passes (as those drivers break in). I'm sure after a month or so you'll find yourself turning yours down too
WOW i didn't know a person should keep re-calibrating the sound every few weeks. I'm gonna re-run audyssey again, see what it gives me with all that stuff off u were saying. Thanks. Yes i agree, i'm sure that legend will sound even better when it breaks in I haven't used a spl meter as i have to first go to buy one at radio shack AFTER i figure out how to USE it properly lol
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #213
de Rookie de Rookie is offline
Senior Member
 
Mar 2011
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggaetonSalsero View Post
WOW i didn't know a person should keep re-calibrating the sound every few weeks. I'm gonna re-run audyssey again, see what it gives me with all that stuff off u were saying. Thanks. Yes i agree, i'm sure that legend will sound even better when it breaks in I haven't used a spl meter as i have to first go to buy one at radio shack AFTER i figure out how to USE it properly lol
Well, once the sub is broken in you don't have to recalibrate all the time. The reason I re-ran Audyssey last week was it had been about a month and the sub was really breaking in. Since I use the Audyssey EQ settings I thought it was best to go ahead and run it again.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:24 AM   #214
McStyvie McStyvie is offline
Member
 
Apr 2009
21
11
Default

HI all,

I got my Epik Empire three days ago...holy moly! That thing freaking rocks! It is replacing a very well liked B&W ASW610 and doing a darned fine job at that

For music great, for HT it is just smiles all around.

And this thing gets better with time??????

Edit- Review here
Empire Review

Last edited by McStyvie; 07-17-2011 at 07:58 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #215
RocShemp RocShemp is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Jul 2009
2
Default

That was a great review, de Rookie. It really mirrors my experience with my Legends.

I just recently re-ran Audyssey and had to tame my subs a bit in order to get a 0dB result. And maybe I'm going mad but I swear they're sounding deeper and more nuanced.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #216
de Rookie de Rookie is offline
Senior Member
 
Mar 2011
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McStyvie View Post
HI all,

I got my Epik Empire three days ago...holy moly! That thing freaking rocks! It is replacing a very well liked B&W ASW610 and doing a darned fine job at that

For music great, for HT it is just smiles all around.

And this thing gets better with time??????

Edit- Review here
Empire Review
Saw over on AVS you got one. Congrats and good review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
That was a great review, de Rookie. It really mirrors my experience with my Legends.

I just recently re-ran Audyssey and had to tame my subs a bit in order to get a 0dB result. And maybe I'm going mad but I swear they're sounding deeper and more nuanced.
Thanks Mine's definitely sounding better every week!

Oh, check this puppy out:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Auralex-...49-i1134565.gc

I was going to build a riser but saw this when I was in Guitar Center and picked it up. For $50 it was a pretty good deal. Made a pretty surprising difference in the way the Legend sounded. I re-ran Audyssey after I put the Epik on top of it. All I can say is wow

Time to run those darn .FLAC files again
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:23 AM   #217
RocShemp RocShemp is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Jul 2009
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by de Rookie View Post
Oh, check this puppy out:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Auralex-...49-i1134565.gc

I was going to build a riser but saw this when I was in Guitar Center and picked it up. For $50 it was a pretty good deal. Made a pretty surprising difference in the way the Legend sounded. I re-ran Audyssey after I put the Epik on top of it. All I can say is wow
Cool purchase. Just don't let Big Daddy see that post. He demands we build our own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by de Rookie View Post
Time to run those darn .FLAC files again
You're welcome.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:35 AM   #218
McStyvie McStyvie is offline
Member
 
Apr 2009
21
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by de Rookie View Post
Thanks, Reg.

Actually, since I've been breaking in the Epik and getting a feel of how it sounds I haven't run the other sub much in tandem with it. Maybe 3 times total. The Legend definitely blows the JBL E250P away though. It really fills the room with sound and vibrations

My room is 20'W X 14'L (but open-backed into the kitchen) X 10'H. Hardwood floors with a big area rug in the center. The Legend along the front wall on the right, the JBL on the front wall on the left. I ran Audyssey with just the Legend on, then individually dialed in the subs with an SPL meter afterward. I plan to get another sub (probably another Legend) and a bass correction device like the Velodyne SMS-1, probably around winter.

Everytime I run Audyssey I get near identical results. The only thing that really changed was the sub distance and level. On the sub level in particular, the JBL was -3.5db and the Epik was -4.5db. I ticked it up to -3.0db in both cases, then used my SPL meter + volume knob + test tone CD. When I first got the Legend working the volume was higher than the 1/3 it's on now. Every week I do the SPL meter check and adjust and I end up turning down the volume a tad every time.

Also, as far as running Audyssey I have my procedure. Turn off HVAC, unplug bar and kitchen refrigerators, turn off fans, and crate my dog in another room. I find myself almost holding my breath too, haha.

I run the Legend about 3 to 5db hot, and the E250P about -1db cold. The reason for that on the JBL is to avoid port chuffing.

When I hit the 80 hour use mark I'll re-run Audyssey (I actually ran it again already last weekend). I'll probably tick back on the JBL then as well. The Legend impresses more and more with each hour of use that passes (as those drivers break in). I'm sure after a month or so you'll find yourself turning yours down too
I do the same when I run Audyssey hehe. I aim for 0.0Db on the sub level with Audyssey, however that means turning the Empire down to just less than 1/4 volume!!! It sits less than three feet behind me though. Still, the mix sounds right between bass and the other speakers,and ofc I can pump it +12.0Db if I want. Still, if I run it at even half volume, it puts the sub at -11.0 Db which doesn't leave much room for when the wife asks me to turn it down. How do people run their audysseys with the sub at full volume? Does the sub have to be all the way across the room or what?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #219
de Rookie de Rookie is offline
Senior Member
 
Mar 2011
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McStyvie View Post
I do the same when I run Audyssey hehe. I aim for 0.0Db on the sub level with Audyssey, however that means turning the Empire down to just less than 1/4 volume!!! It sits less than three feet behind me though. Still, the mix sounds right between bass and the other speakers,and ofc I can pump it +12.0Db if I want. Still, if I run it at even half volume, it puts the sub at -11.0 Db which doesn't leave much room for when the wife asks me to turn it down. How do people run their audysseys with the sub at full volume? Does the sub have to be all the way across the room or what?
Sounds about right. The best place for a subwoofer is where it sounds best and it seems like you've found the sweet spot for your tastes. As long as your ears can't localize the sub you're doing just fine

People who have a sub way across the room and have it turned all the way up probably need to get another sub, think about a different spot for placement, or both, haha. They're definitely over working the poor thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #220
McStyvie McStyvie is offline
Member
 
Apr 2009
21
11
Default

yeah, true enough! I can't localize it at all, which is amazing, because it just looks huge sitting right between and behind the chairs. It just hits hard and digs deep, and it is totally inert even while watching WotW. Tonight is Star Trek blu again

I played a lot of 80's rap on it today too while cleaning Tone Loc, 2Live Crew, Run Dmc, Sir Mix a Lot, awesome lol...
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
The Official SVS Subwoofer Owners Thread Subwoofers Jwilly019 18605 Yesterday 04:54 PM
The Official Paradigm Subwoofer Owners Thread Subwoofers Big Daddy 297 11-30-2022 03:20 AM
The Official Klipsch Subwoofer Owners Thread Subwoofers Big Daddy 228 05-18-2022 01:37 AM
The Official Axiom Subwoofer Owners Thread Subwoofers Big Daddy 17 07-28-2020 12:34 PM
The Official Sunfire Subwoofer Owners Thread Subwoofers Big Daddy 51 07-04-2018 06:02 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:12 AM.