Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (Blu-ray)
$4.99
 
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
 
The Predator (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
The Meg (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
RED 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
43 min ago
The Hitman's Bodyguard (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
This Is the End (Blu-ray)
$4.99
 
Lucifer: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$25.15
 
Peppermint (Blu-ray)
$22.99
7 hrs ago
Bad Boys I & II 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96
 
The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96
 
Sailor Moon Super S: Season 4 Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$42.37
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2006, 11:17 PM   #1
Zinn Zinn is offline
Active Member
 
Oct 2006
Sweden
Default Blu-ray to support 1080@60p?

On this image it says that it supports 1080@60p but i thought the top was 1080@24p?

Sony BDB-S1

If true will the maximum forBlu-ray Disc be 1080/60 @ 40 MB/s for H.264 and 18 MB/s for 7,1 DTS HD Master Audio/7.1 PCM Uncompressed?

My first post!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:51 PM   #2
ProvenFlipper ProvenFlipper is offline
Special Member
 
Jun 2006
11
322
1
Default

The Sony and Pioneer units do both 1080p60 and 1080p24. The problem lies in the amount of TVs that can take in a 24p signal.
Blu-ray Disc Collection- I don't think I can count that high...

Main Viewing Space: Samsung LN52a750/Denon AVR-2309/Polk TSi400/Polk CS10/Polk TSi100/Polk RM85/Polk PSW125/Sony BDP-S350/PS3/XBOX 360/Wii

Secondary Viewing Space: Samsung UN46C5000/Denon AVR-2307/Polk RM6750/BDP-S350

My Home Theater Gallery Thread
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:06 AM   #3
PurpleAardvark PurpleAardvark is offline
Active Member
 
Jul 2006
Cross Plains, WI
Default

Welcome a board.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:13 AM   #4
dobyblue dobyblue is offline
Super Moderator
 
dobyblue's Avatar
 
Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada
46
621
13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinn View Post
On this image it says that it supports 1080@60p but i thought the top was 1080@24p?

Sony BDB-S1

If true will the maximum forBlu-ray Disc be 1080/60 @ 40 MB/s for H.264 and 18 MB/s for 7,1 DTS HD Master Audio/7.1 PCM Uncompressed?

My first post!
PS3 supports 1080p/60fps in game.
Blu-ray's bit rate can get up to 288Mbps.
Welcome!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:52 AM   #5
Zinn Zinn is offline
Active Member
 
Oct 2006
Sweden
Default

Thanks for the welcome!

Wow 288 mbps!!

Is that within the BD spec??

But can a movie be stored as 1080 @ 60p? or do they just upconvert?

Thanks in advanced.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:46 PM   #6
thunderhawk thunderhawk is offline
Moderator
 
thunderhawk's Avatar
 
Jul 2004
Belgium
Default

I hope one can configure the player/TV/reciever properly...
Blu-ray Disc is only the beginning...

Thunderhawk
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:50 PM   #7
phloyd phloyd is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
phloyd's Avatar
 
Dec 2003
California
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinn View Post
But can a movie be stored as 1080 @ 60p? or do they just upconvert?
I don't see any reason why a movie could not be stored at 60 fps 1080p

However most movies only have 24 frames per second so any more than that would just be duplication which is a waste of space.

If there was a source with 60 true independent frames it could be encoded and stored that way.

That said, they would need to be sure that there was a mechanism to 'downconvert' that to 1080i, etc for those that can't use 1080p interface. That is the only issue that I would see...
---
Content is the key. See the stats
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:08 PM   #8
Zinn Zinn is offline
Active Member
 
Oct 2006
Sweden
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phloyd View Post
I don't see any reason why a movie could not be stored at 60 fps 1080p

However most movies only have 24 frames per second so any more than that would just be duplication which is a waste of space.

If there was a source with 60 true independent frames it could be encoded and stored that way.

That said, they would need to be sure that there was a mechanism to 'downconvert' that to 1080i, etc for those that can't use 1080p interface. That is the only issue that I would see...

Well Im thinking For TV making it would be smart to shoot in 1080 @ 60p, 4:4:4 and 48 bit RGB for a good master.
And It could easy be coverted to 1080 @ 60/25i US/EURO.

But the if it could be stored with 60 unique frames per second can all BD players play it? Is the hardware powerful enough??

I.e. IS 1080 @ 60p within the BD specification

Btw I love this forum!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:27 PM   #9
Shadowself Shadowself is offline
Senior Member
 
Shadowself's Avatar
 
Sep 2005
Default No technological reason other than...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinn View Post
Well Im thinking For TV making it would be smart to shoot in 1080 @ 60p, 4:4:4 and 48 bit RGB for a good master.
And It could easy be coverted to 1080 @ 60/25i US/EURO.

But the if it could be stored with 60 unique frames per second can all BD players play it? Is the hardware powerful enough??

I.e. IS 1080 @ 60p within the BD specification

Btw I love this forum!

There is no technological reason why masters of TV and other recordings cannot be done in 1080p/60. While the specs for this are not included in the U.S. "Grand Alliance" they are included under the ITU specs.

However... and this is the big "gotcha" at the moment ... I know of no company currently shipping chipsets which record 1080p/60. I expect them within the next year or so. Then we may actually see recordings done at this resolution and frame rate.
Be careful when annoying dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
A question regarding 1080/60p and 1080/24p Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology mainman 41 05-13-2010 06:14 PM
Blu Ray player use for TV 1080 i Newbie Discussion hansvo286 4 08-02-2008 10:09 PM
1080 Blu-ray set up Home Theater General Discussion bond373737 3 05-14-2008 11:02 PM
Blu-Ray Upconverting and 1080 -i vs. -p question... Blu-ray Players and Recorders chucklee 1 02-27-2008 12:23 PM
BLU-RAY support is the key..once again support PS3 joeorc 7 09-24-2007 06:56 AM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:45 PM.