Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
17 hrs ago
Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96
1 hr ago
The Outer Limits: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$46.25

Looker (Blu-ray)
$17.97
18 hrs ago
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Blu-ray)
$29.33

Metropolis (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Mandy (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Spy Who Dumped Me (Blu-ray)
$19.99
16 hrs ago
Sorry to Bother You (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Jurassic World: 5 Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$64.99

Teen Titans Go! To the Movies (Blu-ray)
$22.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 05-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #1

Mar 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Default Question about uncompressed BD audio...

It's my understanding that if your equipment on any end doesn't support uncompressed, lossless audio the audio on a BD will automatically be down-converted to Dolby 5.1. Is this correct? It's not an issue for me, I'm just trying to win an argument.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:14 AM   #2

Jul 2009

Depends on what you mean by that.

All BD players can read a lossless track and pass it along the HDMI cable, to be worked on by a TrueHD or DTS HD MA capable receiver.

The player isn't, technically, lossless capable, in the sense it cant decode the track.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:38 PM   #3
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainhawk1 View Post
It's my understanding that if your equipment on any end doesn't support uncompressed, lossless audio the audio on a BD will automatically be down-converted to Dolby 5.1. Is this correct? It's not an issue for me, I'm just trying to win an argument.
not sure what you are asking. All equipment can support PCM (which is the only one wich is not compressed. Now if you mean DTS-HD MA and DTHD, then that is compressed lossless. Now if your player does not support it then, depending on settings, it might decode the DTS-HD MA/DTHD and send PCM 5.1 or maybe bitstream DTS or DD (depending on if it was DTS-HD MA or DTHD to begin with). So no it won't automatically be DD 5.1
Old 05-11-2010, 10:46 PM   #4

Mar 2009
Las Vegas, NV

I'm talking about a receiver or TV, not a BD player.

I should have clarified "uncompressed, lossless" as "uncompressed/lossless" or "uncompressed and other lossless", i.e., the new formats for multi-channel associated with BD.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:48 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Well if your receiver supports audio across HDMI but doesn't decode dts-ma and TrueHD then you'll get the following based on the player setting.

Dolby TrueHD
PCM - 5.1 PCM
Bitstream - Dolby Digital

dts-ma
PCM - 5.1 PCM
Bitstream - dts core

PCM
PCM - 5.1 PCM
Bitstream - 5.1 PCM

If you have your receiver hooked up via digital coaxial or optical you'll get:

Dolby TrueHD
PCM - 2.0 PCM
Bitstream - Dolby Digital

dts-ma
PCM - 2.0 PCM
Bitstream - dts core

PCM
PCM - 2.0 PCM
Bitstream - 2.0 PCM

If this was the case some players have a feature where they will recode TrueHD 5.1 or PCM 5.1 tracks to 1.5 Mbps dts core. This would be best.
The first thing I try to communicate to my crew is that there will be no shaky-cam and no rack zooms, because those techniques are only used to hide the fact that there is no energy. When you eliminate those gimmicks you’re confronted with the reality of the shot you have in front of you, and nine times out of 10 you say to yourself: “This just isn’t working.”
~Christopher McQuarrie (Director, Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation)
Old 05-13-2010, 08:03 AM   #6

Mar 2009
Las Vegas, NV

I guess I'm still not making this clear. I'm referring to an old receiver with no HDMI inputs that can't decode anything but Dolby-D or DTS. What happens to the audio then?
Old 05-13-2010, 09:43 AM   #7

Jul 2009

In that case, it doesn't "down-convert" from True HD or DTS HD MA, IIRC they either have a seperate DD or DTS audio track or embed a DD or DTS track within the True HD or DTS HS MA track.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
Power Member

Sep 2007

If you are using the optical or coax out of the player and are getting sound out of it you are automatically getting either a legacy DD or DTS track or PCM. The player is extracting that from the disc and sending that through the output.

HDMI is better or the 5.1 audio outs, but the audio will still be better than a DVD as the bitrate of the DD or DTS core is higher on a Blu-ray Disc than what is included on a DVD, due to space limitations.

If you want specific confirmation, tell us what your equipment is and someone can quickly check the manuals online.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #9
Power Member

Sep 2007

Usually IIRC the DD is a separate shadow track and the DTS is a core plus extension file on the disc, but that does not matter to you at all. It works the same way that your equipment automatically finds the best option for you.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

When discussing non-HDMI audio outputs, the capability of the receiving equipment is irrelevant. With non-HDMI connections, the player has no idea what types of audio the receiver or TV can handle because there's no handshake between the player and receiver. So, you are really asking whether the end user has to intervene in order to make sure the player sends audio that the receiver can handle. The answer to that depends on the type of connection being used.

If you are using an S/PDIF connection (optical or digital coax) and the player is set to bitstream, it will send DD 5.1 instead of TrueHD and DTS instead of dts-MA. Multichannel PCM sources will be downmixed to stereo PCM for output over optical or coax. That's all handled by the player software. There's nothing the user needs to do to make it happen.

But, if you have a player that can decode the new lossless codecs and output them over multichannel analog, then there's lots that the end user needs to do to make it happen.

So, you win the argument (or not) depending on the specifics of the dispute. For example: your first post said the player will output DD 5.1 on its own, which is only correct part of the time. Players only output DD 5.1 on their own when the source is TrueHD and the output is S/PDIF. If, on the other hand, you really mean to ask, "If I am using optical and play a lossless track on the disc, will the player will output a signal that older equipment can process?", the answer is mostly yes. Of course, if you have a really old receiver without a DTS decoder, then you'll get an unusable DTS signal if the player is set to bitstream and you play any type of DTS track.

Aren't you glad you asked?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology