Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

12 Days of Deals, Day 10 is Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99
22 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible - Fallout 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$16.99
22 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Hunter Killer 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
14 hrs ago
The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Gotham: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Crazy Rich Asians 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Mid90s (Blu-ray)
$14.99
23 hrs ago
The Meg (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Meg 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.54

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction

Old 05-03-2018, 07:00 PM   #1

Jan 2013
United States
Default Need help with HT design

I am going to be closing off our open plan kitchen/living room and make them two separate rooms.

The reason being is my wife and I live on one side of the house, with two rooms and a bathroom. One room is the bedroom and the other my cozy 120 sq. ft. 9.1 Auro 3D Home Theater.

The in-laws live on the other side, due to health reasons. Typical Florida home, open plan, the front of the house boasts a dining-room, great room and a small den/office and the back of the house has the open plan kitchen and living room.

My wife and I would like to close off the living room so we can have a larger home theater, and use my current HT room as a nursery for when that eventually happens.

I am struggling with how it will look when complete based on the location of the partition wall.

The new wall will be doubled up with an air gap and most likely have green glue for good measure, as well as a solid-core door with threshold seal. The new wall will be the main barrier to sound waves reaching the rest of the house. There are two walls with windows, both cinder block exterior walls, and one wall adjoining my ensuite bathroom. My current HT is only 8' from the kitchen behind two hollow-core doors and the high frequencies at 75db- 80db aren't terrible, especially when the mother-in-law has her TV going so I'm confident some added mass with the new partition should help dampen things, so I'm not disturbing everyone.

Hardware is currently:

Elite Screens 84" 16x9 Fixed Frame
Epson 5040UB
Marantz SR7011
Onkyo TX-NR509 powering 2 height channels for Auro 3D.
Oppo UDP-203
Klipsch R-15M (SL+SR)
Klipsch R-26F (L+R)
Klipsch R-250C (C)
Klipsch R-10SW (LFE1)
Onkyo 12" Sub (LFE2)
Onkyo Bookshelf THX Speakers for height channels.

Here are some very crude and not to scale floor plans to give you an idea. I'm thinking about switching from Auro 3D to Atmos, just because of media being more widespread. I'm also not set on 7.2.4. I'm happy to stick with 5.2.4 due to the room size if need be. Height channels will be Klipsch in-ceiling or wall mounted Atmos speakers depending on config and want to upgrade to matching Klipsch R-12SW's.

The first picture is current floor plan.
Blank Canvas.jpg

This is one option, which still allows us to walk around the kitchen island.
Option 1.jpg

This is another option which provides a lot more depth/width depending on speaker layout but drastically alters the kitchen design. My wife and I prefer this as it makes it so there is only one entrance into our personal square footage. The mother-in-law is having a hard time picturing it though as she believes it will make the kitchen feel too cramped.
Option 2.jpg

Keep in mind, the kitchen will be remodeled at the same time/just after. While the plumbing is going to stay put, the shape and size of the island can be altered. As well as new cabinets being installed.

I'm hoping some of you here have a good mind for interior design/architecture and can throw out ideas/criticisms, things I haven't thought of or even completely new ideas, as this is happening. The means is covered, I'm speaking to electricians/handymen and GC's currently. I just want to nail down a good plan before I move forward as we're all going to be living here for some time.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:58 PM   #2

Mar 2010

Another option perhaps?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Option 2b.jpg (67.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 06-17-2018, 05:39 PM   #3

Jul 2016
Neverwhere

I would aslo suggest this option, with an electrical screen over the window, which window, of course must have black-out drapes.
Check my Home-Cinema pictures with what I've done some time ago... for an idea how this could work.
For me is working SUPER GREAT sine I would need/want complete darkness when watching movies.
Drapes+screen also acts as an extra layer of sound barrier, make it even quieter from outside, and the drapes extended on the side walls are also great with absorption and good with/for standing waves, so are great even without the screen, when just listening music (with those drapes + a carpet on the floor and a sofa + 2 chairs, I went from 5-6 echo-claps to almost 0 echo-claps [check the "clapping echo effect/test" on the internet, and sorry if I can't recall now the exact term ]).
I also has some ideas to further enhance the viewing experience blocking the reflections from the ceiling, but... never got to do it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Another option perhaps?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction