Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

12 Days of Deals, Day 13 is Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Samurai Jack: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$48.49

Jurassic World: 5 Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Despicable Me 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$13.99

Pixar Short Films Collection: Volume 3 (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Jack Reacher 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.32

Mission: Impossible - Fallout 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Supernatural: The Complete Thirteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
14 hrs ago
The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$16.99

The Meg (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction

Old 10-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #1

Oct 2012
Aurora, IL
Default AJ's Basement Build

Hi there everyone!!!

Welcome to my build thread. I have been working on ideas on how to finish my basement since my wife and I bought our house in May of 2011. My hope for this thread is to first show off my; ideas, concepts, build photos, and finally a finished project. Secondly it's a thread so it will be full of my questions, gripes, and probably a whole lot of down time between updates. Sorry in advance for the lengthy delays. I will be doing the vast majority of the work myself at the pace that my skill and wallet allow. I have some very high hopes for this space, here's hoping I'm not over reaching!

The concept:

I want a multipurpose entertaining space. My layout consits of a full kitchen with a bar. A storage area behind the kitchen. A small game area North of the kitchen area, with my utility/work room past that. There will be a full bath. A second bar area with a view into the home theater. A home theater. (OBVIOUSLY!!!) and then a room that I have slated as a billards room but in all reality will probably become the kids playroom. (When we have kids). But I have also designed it to be a possible bedroom.

I look forward to answering your questions and hearing comments!!!

This is the basement as it sits today.

This is the floor plan that I am shooting for. The software I used did not have a bar that I liked so it was left out of the plan. The bar will divide the game area and the kitchen.

Here is a 2D rendering.

Thanks for stopping by!!!!!

Last edited by AJhilzy; 11-01-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:11 AM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

It really is a lovely space... hopefully the ceiling height is reasonable and the duct work doesn't get in your way! Take whatever budget you currently have in mind and then double it, that should get you close to what you will spend I'm only half kidding.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:25 AM   #3

Oct 2012
Aurora, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by roar View Post
It really is a lovely space... hopefully the ceiling height is reasonable and the duct work doesn't get in your way! Take whatever budget you currently have in mind and then double it, that should get you close to what you will spend I'm only half kidding.
I have 8 foot ceilings and most of the duct work is in the utility and biliard rooms. I have some plumbing issues but everything is pretty much along the walls. Check back tomorrow evening I'll have some current pictures up. Yeah I haven't exactly nailed down a budget but I'm estimating in the $30-35k range with a lot of that being HT hardware! time will tell. Thanks for the insight!!

Last edited by AJhilzy; 11-01-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:36 AM   #4
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Toronto, Canada eh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJhilzy View Post
Yeah I haven't exactly nailed down a budget but I'm estimating in the $30-35k range with a lot of that being HT hardware! time will tell. Thanks for the insight!!
That's what you think till you start adding up material costs
Old 11-01-2012, 04:25 AM   #5

Aug 2012
Indiana

Dang thats a huge space! Good luck!

I set my budget (still ongoing) and didn't take into account all the tools I would need that I didn't own... blew past my budget already and the drywall isn't even up yet!

I look forward to reading updates.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #6

Oct 2012
Aurora, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrf_uproar View Post
Dang thats a huge space! Good luck!

I set my budget (still ongoing) and didn't take into account all the tools I would need that I didn't own... blew past my budget already and the drywall isn't even up yet!

I look forward to reading updates.
What tools didn't you account for? I'm just curious if I have over looked something or if there are some tools I don't even know I need yet.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
What tools didn't you account for? I'm just curious if I have over looked something or if there are some tools I don't even know I need yet.
I put all of the following to pretty good use: table saw, chop saw, hand saw, mitre box, jig saw, drill, crowbar, sledge hammer, drywall drill bit, chalk line, numerous driver bits, wire cutters, wire strippers, various ladders, paint trays, paint brushes, paint cleaners, screw drivers, paint scrapers, safety goggles, breath mask, voltage meter, pencils, utility knives, square rulers, rulers, measuring tapes, shop vac, broom, dust pan, wire fish

I'm sure I'm missing some things, but it's a good starting list
Old 11-02-2012, 01:21 AM   #8

Oct 2012
Aurora, IL
USA

Quote:
I put all of the following to pretty good use: table saw, chop saw, hand saw, mitre box, jig saw, drill, crowbar, sledge hammer, drywall drill bit, chalk line, numerous driver bits, wire cutters, wire strippers, various ladders, paint trays, paint brushes, paint cleaners, screw drivers, paint scrapers, safety goggles, breath mask, voltage meter, pencils, utility knives, square rulers, rulers, measuring tapes, shop vac, broom, dust pan, wire fish

I'm sure I'm missing some things, but it's a good starting list

Excellent!! I have everything covered, except, the table saw!! C'mon Santa!!! LOL!

Thanks for the list Roar!
Old 11-02-2012, 02:37 AM   #9

Oct 2012
Aurora, IL
USA

And as promised here are the current pictures of my basement.

The bath room rough in at the bottom of the stairs.

Looking west into the kitchen/bar area.

Looking south into the "kitchen"

Looking East bathroom rough in on the right stairs on the left. The screen for the theater will be on the far wall.

Looking North/East into the billard room.

The Billiard room.

Looking West Closet under the stairs will hold the A/V cabinet.

Looking East from the utility room into the billiard room.

Looking West into the utility room from the billiard room.

The utility room looking North from the Kitchen/Bar.

Looking South West from the opposite corner of the basement.

A you can see I have a lot of work ahead of me. Please keep the questions and comments coming. I really appreciate the help and suggestions.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:15 AM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Excellent!! I have everything covered, except, the table saw!! C'mon Santa!!! LOL!

Thanks for the list Roar!
It really is a great space... I wish I had that clean slate to work with, I would have done so much different. I'm only about 1000 sq ft of usable space in my basement, that looks more than double the size of mine.

I'd say the table saw was the one tool I used the least. I used it for some long rips but didn't have many of them. You could probably get a ton done without one.

Good luck!
Old 11-02-2012, 04:28 AM   #11
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2009
The Great NorthWest

Wow thats going to be one nice HT !!
Old 11-02-2012, 04:47 AM   #12

Oct 2012
Aurora, IL

I'm only finishing just over 1000 sqft. I'm leaving the utility room as it is. No need to spend the time and money on a room that's perfect as is. Thanks for the comments!
Old 11-02-2012, 04:57 AM   #13
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2009
The Great NorthWest

Quote:
I'm only finishing just over 1000 sqft. I'm leaving the utility room as it is. No need to spend the time and money on a room that's perfect as is. Thanks for the comments!
1000Ft should be plenty big
Old 11-03-2012, 04:16 AM   #14

Aug 2012
Indiana

Roar hit on many of the tools that I have needed (and then some)

You are probably a lot better off than me because you've got a good tool collection going. I just moved into my first house and really didn't own much besides a few small handheld power tools.

The things I bought that he didn't list include some small things. Halogen shop lights, outlet testers, auto strippers, airless paint sprayer, framing gun, air compressor. These (along with many other tools already mentioned) really added up quick.

Keep the pics comin'... looks like a great space.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:12 AM   #15

Oct 2012
Aurora, IL
Default Rerouting stairs

Hey guys I was down stairs tonight moving some stuff around and I was looking at my stair case. Have any of you ever changed the lay out of a stair case? Currently mine is laid out in an "L" but I have noticed that if it was a straight stair case it would make my life so much easier. Along with making my life easier it was also give me more square footage as the new lay out would fit in the space currently taken up by the landing. Just curious if you guys have any experience or thoughts? Let me know. Thanks!!
Old 01-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #16
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008
Washington, DC Metro

Quote:
Hey guys I was down stairs tonight moving some stuff around and I was looking at my stair case. Have any of you ever changed the lay out of a stair case? Currently mine is laid out in an "L" but I have noticed that if it was a straight stair case it would make my life so much easier. Along with making my life easier it was also give me more square footage as the new lay out would fit in the space currently taken up by the landing. Just curious if you guys have any experience or thoughts? Let me know. Thanks!!
If there is nothing in the way (pics aren't clear enough to determine of there is anything behind the water heater), then you can do it. Just remember to start from scratch with new stringers. You want them to be one continuous piece. Also, a third stringer in the middle may help minimize any sqweaks from riser and tread rubbing. Besides, they should be on 16" centers and I am sure that your stairs are not narrower than 32" wide.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #17

Oct 2012
Aurora, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammie View Post
If there is nothing in the way (pics aren't clear enough to determine of there is anything behind the water heater), then you can do it. Just remember to start from scratch with new stringers. You want them to be one continuous piece. Also, a third stringer in the middle may help minimize any sqweaks from riser and tread rubbing. Besides, they should be on 16" centers and I am sure that your stairs are not narrower than 32" wide.
Thanks for the response! The water heater won't be an issue, but I will take some more pictures tonight of the stair case. Basically I want the stair case to end at the west side of the landing and have the last step be where the staircase wall studs are now. It looks like the landing is actually larger than the real estate I would need to put the last 4 steps. I don't know maybe I'm over reaching but if I'm going to do this basement I want to do it right and I only want to have to do it once. Except for equipment upgrades of course!!!. Look for more pics tonight and thanks again Hammy!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Thanks for the response! The water heater won't be an issue, but I will take some more pictures tonight of the stair case. Basically I want the stair case to end at the west side of the landing and have the last step be where the staircase wall studs are now. It looks like the landing is actually larger than the real estate I would need to put the last 4 steps. I don't know maybe I'm over reaching but if I'm going to do this basement I want to do it right and I only want to have to do it once. Except for equipment upgrades of course!!!. Look for more pics tonight and thanks again Hammy!
I wonder if the turn in the stairs may be better for sound escaping or maybe for heating? I really don't know, just pulling at straws. Lord knows carrying the slate down for pool table would be much easier on a straight run than trying to make a turn with them... they tend to be on the heavy side
Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #19

Oct 2012
Aurora, IL

Quote:
I wonder if the turn in the stairs may be better for sound escaping or maybe for heating? I really don't know, just pulling at straws. Lord knows carrying the slate down for pool table would be much easier on a straight run than trying to make a turn with them... they tend to be on the heavy side
I don't know about either of those (sound or heating), originally I thought it was to support the stairs to the second floor. I did some investigating and found that there was a couple of huge engineered wood beams holding up the area above the staircase and that the studs surrounding the stair case for the most part aren't load bearing.

Yeah I wasn't even thinking about the slate for the pool table yet I was more thinking about all the building materials I'm going to have to hump down the stairs!!! Any one know a good sherpa?????
Old 01-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
I don't know about either of those (sound or heating), originally I thought it was to support the stairs to the second floor. I did some investigating and found that there was a couple of huge engineered wood beams holding up the area above the staircase and that the studs surrounding the stair case for the most part aren't load bearing.

Yeah I wasn't even thinking about the slate for the pool table yet I was more thinking about all the building materials I'm going to have to hump down the stairs!!! Any one know a good sherpa?????
I'm not necessarily condoning what a buddy did one time but it is something to consider... he actually pulled the carpet up on main floor and cut a slit in his flooring between the I-beam’s wide enough for two pieces of drywall and 'dropped' them through the ceiling. He patched the hole up in his floor moved the carpet back over and no ones the wiser. Saved a lot of time going up and down stairs and his stair case would have required all pieces to be cut because he couldn't make his turn.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction