Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Last-Minute Holiday Deals are Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Spider-Man Limited Edition 4K Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.19
22 hrs ago
Deadpool 1 + 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.69
12 hrs ago
Illumination Presents: 6-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
22 hrs ago
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
9 hrs ago
Reign of the Supermen (Blu-ray)
$14.99
4 hrs ago
Mortal Engines 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.95
6 hrs ago
Ocean's 8 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00
11 hrs ago
Saw: 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.96
8 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete Peter Capaldi Years (Blu-ray)
$55.99
22 hrs ago
Dracula: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99
22 hrs ago
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (Blu-ray)
$9.99
13 hrs ago
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$8.79
7 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction

Old 06-14-2017, 05:12 AM   #1

Jan 2008
Default What do you think of this as an inexpensive way to create corner bass traps

I put a lot of effort into this small corner bass trap;

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...5&postcount=95

I think it looks nice, and I know there are easier ways to build them. I was thinking of this easier way to make a smallish trap like that. Once it is wrapped in fabric, what's underneath is fairly irrelevant.

What about taking these boxes

https://www.amazon.com/Aviditi-HD241.../dp/B00BT4BWQM

Nicely cutting them in half, you end up with 24" x 16" x 8" open top boxes (@ ~$2 each). Perfect for 3 half sheets of Roxul Safe and sound(24" x 16" x 3"). The double corrugated box is fairly rigid, you could use a hole saw, or razor to remove much of the siding to the box and still have a rigid frame, then wrap it in your fabric of choice, and voila!

They could be hung in corners, or mounted any way you would mount a wooden framed one. So, it is certainly inexpensive and fast, but is it ingenious or dumb

Last edited by brad1138; 06-14-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:38 AM   #2

Jun 2008
Atlanta, GA

Brad,

I admire your creativity. While the concept of a bass trap in general is new to me, I am intrigued. I often have to ignore the wine glasses rattling in the cupboard during scenes with heavy base from by subs.

I have read basic acoustics how-tos and built a sub riser, but how well do your traps work?
Old 06-15-2017, 07:26 AM   #3

Jan 2008

Thanks,

To be honest, I haven't had much chance to listen and assess, lots of other stuff going on in my life...

I ordered the boxes and will construct a few and post pics here, but it will be a week or so.

Bass traps are supposed to flatten out bass response in the room, and improve it overall, we will see. The Acoustic panels (https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...=284779&page=5) did clean up the sound, as they are supposed to. But again, I haven't had a ton of time to listen in the last month...

Last edited by brad1138; 06-15-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:05 AM   #4

Jun 2008
Atlanta, GA
Default Thinking Outside the Box

Brad,

I like how you are using lightweight materials, so the boxes can be hung on the wall. When you suggested trying corrugated boxes, it got me to thinking that we might be able to dispense with the box altogether.

What if we created mobiles suspended from fishing line? We could then use any shape that you can create with the sound suppression material inside a fabric cover. I would start with a mock up of a BD box hanging from a corner. Then perhaps some small stars (the astronomical kind, not movie stars), or a Death Star! Add a Millennium Falcon, a few tie fighters, etc.

I know, a lot easier said than done, but it does mean that an acoustic device can hide in plain sight without looking like what it is. What should we call them? Acoustic Lites? Mobile Dampers? Pend-acoustics? Sound Suspenders? ROTFL!
Old 06-23-2017, 03:02 PM   #5

Jan 2008

I got the 10 pack of boxes, haven't had time do anything with them yet. I am now trying to figure the best way to cut them in half, cleanly.

The problem with no frame is it ends up looking like a pillow. If you use rockboard, it would be more rigid, but it is so delicate, it might break under t's own weight, especially if bumped.

I hope to have time this weekend, I'll post pics.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction