Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

12 Days of Deals, Day 11 is Live »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Star Trek: The Original Motion Picture Collection (Blu-ray)
$16.96

Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Jurassic World: 5 Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Mission: Impossible - Fallout 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Crazy Rich Asians 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

The Meg 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$16.99

The Meg (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Gotham: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction

Old 12-24-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007
Default DIY powercords

Hi guys, though I would share this with you. For the holidays I decided to make myself some powercords...

I am planning on doing 2 powercords with C7 endings (one polarized and one not) to replace the ones on my DVR and external HD for the same DVR... I am also planning to replace the IEC terminated powercords on my receiver and PS3 with starquad cords (rethinking it, the ps3 does not need the starquad but anyway). In the future I plan on making another starquad for the sub but I did not order the parts yet (I actually wanted to make the other ones and see how it goes).

I used the DIY instructions from Take Five Audio to make my cords (it's a canadian parts distributor and since I'm canadian, it was easier for me to order from them and not having to worry about duties... Also I'm not affiliated with them).

Anyway, I'm not going to post the DIY guide (since I did it almost exactly as them) so here are the links:

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for these instructions and the consequence of following them on your health and belongings... Also check the TFA disclaimer.

C7 Powercord

Starquad Powercord

So far I made my two C7 powercords but I can't make the starquad powercords since the Belden 83754 cable was b/o (until early january).

The C7 powercords were a bit hard to do... Modifying the adapter, drilling holes in the terminals, soldering... However installing the Marinco 8215T connectors was fairly easy once I figured out that I had to remove a clamp on the inside in order to fit in the cord in the larger openings... In the end for an easier installion you might prefer using an IEC plug and then using the adapter for what it was designed to do (but for me since the principal goal was to reduce wire length and clutter using an adapter was not my first choice (and it's less fun )

Here are some pics of the cords.

The IEC-C7 adapter with the part above the terminals removed (that part part is hard to remove specially if you use a knife like I did), ground removed and holes drilled in...

Next the conductor was soldered on and Teflon tape was applied on the solders (not shown in the DIY guide on TFA). Since it is not explained on the DIY guide I'm going to guess that the Teflon acts as isolation since it has excellent dielectric properties.

The end result...

Here are the 2 new cords installed (on a special note, these connectors don't fit next to each other on the APC H10)... These cords were made mostly to have custom cord lenght and won't have an impact on the PQ/AQ coming from the PVR :P)

Well now I can wait to make the other cords (the missing part, the wire itself, is supposed to be in, in January)... The starquad cord should be better than the flimsy cord that came with my receiver.

On another note I don't think I'll be replacing the cord for my TV, since the cord seems to be of a good gauge (could be misleading since I can't see the actual wire), the cord has a special clamp on the IEC side and that I can easily hide the cord excess behind the display without it looking like a mess...

I'll post pics of the starquad cords when the wire comes in... Also don't hesitate to send questions/comments
Old 12-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
Breinigsville, PA

Must be satisfying to make your own Power cords. Have you done a little listening yet to find out if you hear any difference in the audio performance? By the way, it will take time for the power cords to burn in. Part of the burn-in will be from turning the power of the equipment on and off to start the power draw on the cords and the equipment. Expect several hundred hours of use possibly to notice the full potential.

Rich
Old 12-24-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturephoto1 View Post
Must be satisfying to make your own Power cords. Have you done a little listening yet to find out if you hear any difference in the audio performance? By the way, it will take time for the power cords to burn in. Part of the burn-in will be from turning the power of the equipment on and off to start the power draw on the cords and the equipment. Expect several hundred hours of use possibly to notice the full potential.

Rich
Yeah it's really nice to make my own cords.

I can't yet comment on the AQ improvements yet since I haven't received the Belden 83754 wire to make the cord for my receiver yet... (I don't have any high expectations so if I get some improvements, I will be very pleased...)

Interesting info on the burn-in.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
Breinigsville, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johk View Post
Yeah it's really nice to make my own cords.

I can't yet comment on the AQ improvements yet since I haven't received the Belden 83754 wire to make the cord for my receiver yet... (I don't have any high expectations so if I get some improvements, I will be very pleased...)

Interesting info on the burn-in.
Also, consider using the even better IEC female connectors as you have for the male end. Both will contribute to the final performance.

Rich
Old 12-24-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
Power Member

Jan 2008

I just picked up a couple of Audioquest power cables. Haven't been delivered yet though.

Anyhow I plan on making a 12 footer for my sub. Should cost around $300 using Wattgate connectors and furutech cable. I also plan on changing out the AC outlet as well.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
Breinigsville, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdabb View Post
I just picked up a couple of Audioquest power cables. Haven't been delivered yet though.

Anyhow I plan on making a 12 footer for my sub. Should cost around $300 using Wattgate connectors and furutech cable. I also plan on changing out the AC outlet as well.
Andrew,

Contact Dave Schulte of the Upgrade Company. He is having custom made Power Cords, Speaker Wire, ICs etc. made under his Time Portal line name. He can get you really good cords/cables for less than AQ or the like.

http://upgradecompany.com/

Rich
Old 12-24-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007

Quote:
Also, consider using the even better IEC female connectors as you have for the male end. Both will contribute to the final performance.

Rich
I got Marinco 320 IEC and the other end will be the Marinco 8215T Hospital Grade Male Plug...

Both are Cryo Treated (nitrogen vapor @ -285F to -320F) even if I'm not completely convince on the improvements of the treatment (I didn't take the time to educate myself completely on the subject) but the extra investment was not dramatic.

From what I've seen they looked like a good price/quality compromise.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:47 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
Breinigsville, PA

Quote:
I got Marinco 320 IEC and the other end will be the Marinco 8215T Hospital Grade Male Plug...

Both are Cryo Treated (nitrogen vapor @ -285F to -320F) even if I'm not completely convince on the improvements of the treatment (I didn't take the time to educate myself completely on the subject) but the extra investment was not dramatic.

From what I've seen they looked like a good price/quality compromise.
Give it some time for burn-in as I mentioned. Try to listen to some really well recorded CDs or Blu-rays. Listen for the clarity of the sound and bass performance as initial indicators. It may only be somewhat subtle at first but should probably be more noticeable with time.

Rich
Old 12-24-2008, 04:54 PM   #9
Power Member

Jan 2008

Thanks for the heads up I will look into that..............

A friend of mine has turned me onto some of the cables from "Signal Cable". They are a good value and of great quality. The two Audioquest cables I picked up recently were a great deal as well. One of them was normally around $350 and I paid about a third of that price. Gotta look for those deals, there out there from time to time.

As for making the Sub cable I am actually looking forward to doing that. I need something to keep me busy during my time off from working. I have made my own speaker cables as well using Canare Quadstar 4S11 cable and Kimber Kable Post Master Spade lugs soldered with a special solder from Cardas.

I picked up a nice soldering station a while back so I enjoy doing these sort of things. I figured a lot of other cable companies are just assembling the cables so I can do the same for much less.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:41 PM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
Florida

Quote:
Hi guys, though I would share this with you.
If I recall, the last time you did one of thes threads it wound up costing me money.

Nice work.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:50 PM   #11
Banned

Apr 2007
That's What She Said!

Call me crazy, but $300 for a power cord? No way. What's wrong with the cords that come with the item already? Not big enough to support enough juice? Ugh. Talk about an expensive hobby.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:52 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
Breinigsville, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkMore View Post
Call me crazy, but $300 for a power cord? No way. What's wrong with the cords that come with the item already? Not big enough to support enough juice? Ugh. Talk about an expensive hobby.
With the proper equipment, amongst other things you will most probably notice more clarity, with better bass, and quite possibly many other attributes.

Rich
Old 12-24-2008, 05:53 PM   #13
Banned

Apr 2007
That's What She Said!

Quote:
With the proper equipment, amongst other things you will most probably notice more clarity, with better bass, and quite possibly many other attributes.

Rich
You have to have one hell of a pair of ears to notice better clarity with a different power cord.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:13 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008
Menifee, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkMore View Post
You have to have one hell of a pair of ears to notice better clarity with a different power cord.
I am sure not an expert in this area but your thoughts are also mine. But if I were rich, I would change over just because it might.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:15 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
Breinigsville, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post
I am sure not an expert in this area but your thoughts are also mine. But if I were rich, I would change over just because it might.
Many stores and manufacturers will offer a guarantee period. If you notice a difference, then you keep it. Otherwise return it.

Rich
Old 12-24-2008, 06:19 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008
Menifee, CA

Quote:
Many stores and manufacturers will offer a guarantee period. If you notice a difference, then you keep it. Otherwise return it.

Rich

Interesting. That I might do.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:21 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008
Menifee, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob71 View Post
If I recall, the last time you did one of thes threads it wound up costing me money.

Nice work.
They all cost me more money. Got to stop reading them
Old 12-24-2008, 06:25 PM   #18
Expert Member

Dec 2007
Dark Side of the Moon

Okay -- I'm a degreed electrical engineer with 27 years of power and grounding experience. (PE in several states) If that lends any creedence to my opinion, so be it.

Improper grounding or poor shielding in a power cord can lead to the dreaded "hum" in any audio component. A lot of high-end equipment has a separate grounding post to eliminate this possibility. Long runs of cable may require shielded cable to prevent picking up noise. Usually with proper grounding in a power cable, this isn't an issue.

In other words -- in my opinion the cables supplied with your audio equipment are perfectly fine. If you hear a "hum", your system is incorrectly grounded.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:27 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
Breinigsville, PA

Jim,

Another thing you could do is to check the Auctions over at Audiogon. There are a lot of manufacturers (some individuals) that auction off their power cords, and other wiring. Many of the auctions are listed under the $1 No Reserve auction listings. I can not comment about their return policy, but this could be an inexpensive option.

http://www.audiogon.com/index.html

You would just have to become a member of Audiogon to bid, but it is a free membership.

Rich
Old 12-24-2008, 06:32 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
Breinigsville, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Raider View Post
Okay -- I'm a degreed electrical engineer with 27 years of power and grounding experience. (PE in several states) If that lends any creedence to my opinion, so be it.

Improper grounding or poor shielding in a power cord can lead to the dreaded "hum" in any audio component. A lot of high-end equipment has a separate grounding post to eliminate this possibility. Long runs of cable may require shielded cable to prevent picking up noise. Usually with proper grounding in a power cable, this isn't an issue.

In other words -- in my opinion the cables supplied with your audio equipment are perfectly fine. If you hear a "hum", your system is incorrectly grounded.
No one suggested that there was a problem with the original power cords. However, with the proper gear, different power cords can actually have an affect on the overall sound of a system. This in part will have to do with the materials, connectors, copper versus silver, gauge, shielding, general design, etc.

Rich
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction