Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
U-571 (iTunes)
$4.99
13 hrs ago
Frankenstein (iTunes)
$4.99
13 hrs ago
Superbad (iTunes)
$4.99

The Hangover Part II (iTunes)
$4.99

Hitman (iTunes)
$4.99
13 hrs ago
This Is the End (iTunes)
$4.99

Superbad (iTunes)
$4.99

Fifty Shades Darker (iTunes)
$4.99

Sausage Party (iTunes)
$4.99

The Strangers (iTunes)
$4.99

Sausage Party / This is the End (iTunes)
$9.98

The Strangers 2-Movie Collection (iTunes)
$19.98

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > Streaming Movies

Old 07-10-2019, 12:04 PM   #21
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2017
Nashville

Pass.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:34 PM   #22
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman View Post
Nope. If you are subscribed to HBO Now, you don’t get access to Max. Max is it’s own thing. They will keep HBO Now/Go separate if you only just want HBO.
I know that Now/Go doesn't allow access to Max, but since Max is $1-2 more a month I suspect there will be an option to switch/upgrade subscription types.

At the very least people can cancel their HBO Now/Go, let the end date pass, then sign up for Max instead. I expect HBO Now/Go subscriptions to drop significantly over the course of 2020.
Thanks given by:
Jumpman (07-11-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 01:56 AM   #23
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin87 View Post
Actually I think it's dumb to label it HBO, WB Max would make more sense because HBO is group under WB, not the other way around. People are going to think it's HBO's app and only has HBO content and not everybody likes what HBO offers.

$17+ is a joke, I don't even want to subscribe to Hulu for $13 lol

Eventually every studio will have their own service and only produce shows for themselves and their networks and it'll be far more than cable ever hoped to be. That's not a good idea.
It's funny that you mentioned that because that has been precisely the major complaint over "HBO Max". Everyone is going to think it's a new streaming service for just HBO content. I've never been a fan of HBO or Cinemax. There's just going to be too much confusion.

But, there's also the possibility that WarnerMedia could change the name of the service by the time they officially launch it. Between now and 2020 is a long time and they could change the name of the service if they start to receive too much negative feedback over the service's name.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:44 PM   #24

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
-
-
-

I'm going to try to explain this as I understand what's happening with the whole "HBO" thing.

HBO Max- is a new, upcoming, streaming ONLY service. Including Cinemax content, HBO content as well as selections from Warner properties. The entire service is supposedly SVOD....no LIVE channels included.

HBO Go- Is the streaming "companion" to HBO. You subscribe to HBO on cable, you get access to HBO Go. You subscribe to HBO on a "live" TV service that streams (DTVN,Hulu L, PS Vue, etc.) you get access to HBO Go. HBO Go has NO live channels. Also all SVOD.

HBO Now- Is the streaming stand-alone of HBO. If you do not subscribe to a "Live" TV service that includes HBO, or a cable service that includes HBO, HBO Now is available as a stand-alone for $15@month. HBO Now has no live channels. Also all SVOD.

It is MY belief, that the "push back" to 2020 after initially it was "rumored" to debut this fall (around the same time Disney + was coming). Was to accommodate the following. AT&T has several "plates" going on right now, and this seems like a great opportunity to "lessen" their load. I've heard talk that possibly "small" packages of DTVN could be incorporated within HBO Max (with additional cost) which would not only provide "live" channels but would also become a "one stop shop" for all AT&T/Warner content. The current AT&T Watch would be "absorbed" into both services and no longer be offered as a separate app. The current DTV replacement (for the satellite service) would be renamed AT&T TV, eventually DTVN would be renamed AT&T TV Now. Once the satellite service is "shuttered" which could happen anytime after 2021, the DirecTV name would be no more...discarded with "Cingular" for those who remember them!

Once all that happens, I see the HBO Now service as useless, HBO Go will remain as the complement to cable subscribers.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:48 AM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
Dawson, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjritter79 View Post
HBO Go- Is the streaming "companion" to HBO. You subscribe to HBO on cable, you get access to HBO Go. You subscribe to HBO on a "live" TV service that streams (DTVN,Hulu L, PS Vue, etc.) you get access to HBO Go. HBO Go has NO live channels. Also all SVOD.
Not just "live" TV services that stream, but satellite and cable providers as well. DirecTV, DISH Network, Xfinity, Spectrum, etc.

Quote:
HBO Now- Is the streaming stand-alone of HBO. If you do not subscribe to a "Live" TV service that includes HBO, or a cable service that includes HBO, HBO Now is available as a stand-alone for $15@month. HBO Now has no live channels. Also all SVOD.
The following is apparently incorrect information on my part. My mistake.

[Show spoiler]False. HBO Now has both East & West coast feeds. Even on Apple TV Channels, there is a live feed, and I believe there is on Roku (if I remember correctly) as well, and most likely Amazon, etc.

I cannot speak about whether or not HBO Max will have a live feed of any sort (HBO, Cinemax, CNN, TNT, etc.), nor do I know about HBO Go, but HBO Now does.

Last edited by Alan Gordon; 07-17-2019 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:43 PM   #26

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
-
-
-
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gordon View Post
False. HBO Now has both East & West coast feeds. Even on Apple TV Channels, there is a live feed, and I believe there is on Roku (if I remember correctly) as well, and most likely Amazon, etc.
How so?
HBO Now is a STREAMING service, it's VOD. The string of content you see on Apple's TV app (I have NO IDEA what "channels" are?, My ATV doesn't have anything like that) is all VOD, none of it is live?
EDIT: Bottom Row...where it says "Try Apple TV Channels" that's ONLY available if you subscribe to HBO through Apple. It is DIFFERENT from the HBO Now app.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:53 PM   #27

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
-
-
-

Not just "live" TV services that stream, but satellite and cable providers as well. DirecTV, DISH Network, Xfinity, Spectrum, etc.

To me Alan, Satellite (Dish/DTV) and cable, are one and the same!
Old 07-17-2019, 11:02 PM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
Dawson, GA

Quote:
How so?
HBO Now is a STREAMING service, it's VOD. The string of content you see on Apple's TV app (I have NO IDEA what "channels" are?, My ATV doesn't have anything like that) is all VOD, none of it is live?
EDIT: Bottom Row...where it says "Try Apple TV Channels" that's ONLY available if you subscribe to HBO through Apple. It is DIFFERENT from the HBO Now app.
My mistake then. I do not have HBO Now and incorrectly assumed that HBO Now included live feeds like subscribing to HBO via Apple, Roku, or Amazon.

CBS All Access and Showtime have live feeds on their standalone apps, so assumed HBO Now did as well.

Quote:
To me Alan, Satellite (Dish/DTV) and cable, are one and the same!
I've never had cable, only satellite, and it took years before satellite offered local channels to my location, and of course, no internet service, so bundling wasn't an option. Ironically, it was only a few years after satellite did offer local channels that I ended up cancelling service. LOL!
Old 07-20-2019, 12:37 PM   #29

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
-
-
-
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gordon View Post
My mistake then. I do not have HBO Now and incorrectly assumed that HBO Now included live feeds like subscribing to HBO via Apple, Roku, or Amazon.
Neither HBO Go/Now or the upcoming HBO Max services include "live" feeds.
In fact, there is "talk" of AT&T incorporating DirecTV Now into HBO Max, as a "live channel supplement" which theoretically would include live channels as part of that service...a separate tier or add-on if you will.

And for those who stream only, without DTVN, I'm going to guess that this is perhaps the ONLY way to get live feeds of HBO in the future...it won't be part of Hulu "live" or Vue in the years to come...not right away, but this is certainly a "trend" the industry seems to be going in given content being withdrawn from other services in favor of their own streaming service.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:49 PM   #30

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
-
-
-

And on a related note....we now have Fox content removed from Sling, and some CBS stations removed from DirecTV/DTVNow/U-Verse.

This whole "live" TV thing is eventually going to be "exclusive" by providers as well.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:26 PM   #31

Sep 2009
Queens, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin87 View Post
Actually I think it's dumb to label it HBO, WB Max would make more sense because HBO is group under WB, not the other way around.
HBO isn't under WB. Both WB and HBO are side by side, under Warner Media.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:45 AM   #32

Mar 2012

I already have HBO through my cable provider. Will I have to pay extra for HBO Max, or is it included with my HBO subscription that I currently have with my cable package?
Old 08-14-2019, 03:32 PM   #33
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by robvalentino81 View Post
I already have HBO through my cable provider. Will I have to pay extra for HBO Max, or is it included with my HBO subscription that I currently have with my cable package?
You pay extra.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:18 AM   #34

Mar 2012

How much extra?
Old 08-15-2019, 04:42 AM   #35
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2017
Gotham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by robvalentino81 View Post
How much extra?
They haven’t announced the price yet.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:07 PM   #36
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
KY

Will HBO Max have The Office? I know that The Office is leaving Netflix.
Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM   #37
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2008
Durham, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD-Blu View Post
Will HBO Max have The Office? I know that The Office is leaving Netflix.
Yes.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > Streaming Movies