Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
€17.99

Shazam! (Blu-ray)
€22.15
4 hrs ago
The Spy Gone North (Blu-ray)
€14.99

Hunter Killer (Blu-ray)
€14.99

Cliffhanger 4K (Blu-ray)
€14.99

Captain Marvel 3D (Blu-ray)
€25.55

Forrest Gump 4K (Blu-ray)
€14.99

The Renegade (Blu-ray)
€14.99

Second Act (Blu-ray)
€14.99

X-Men et Wolverine: Intégrale 7 films - Coffret Collector Cerebro (Blu-ray)
€54.32
15 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible - Fallout 4K (Blu-ray)
€15.99

Warcraft 4K (Blu-ray)
€13.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > France

Old 02-04-2010, 04:35 AM   #1
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
-
France Agora

Alejandro Amenabar's Agora (2009) has received a preliminary release date for the Gallic markets: May 5, 2010. Nominated for 13 Goya Awards.

Review:

Official English-language site and trailer:
http://www.agorathemovie.com/

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 12-11-2011 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Added link to review.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:47 PM   #2

Oct 2008
Fairfax, VA

It amazes me that films like this (like Creation, from the UK), don't get picked up for distribution in the US more quickly. Maybe it shouldn't amaze me, given the degree of folk-"Christian" chauvinism that most Americans seem to value. But it still does.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hok007 View Post
It amazes me that films like this (like Creation, from the UK), don't get picked up for distribution in the US more quickly. Maybe it shouldn't amaze me, given the degree of folk-"Christian" chauvinism that most Americans seem to value. But it still does.
Well, you have to realize that (even moreso than say, the United Kingdom) the United States is very culturally insulated in most places.

Generally, the Northeast Coast and the West Coast are the main places where international cinema has any chance of being seen and liked. Of course, there are thousands of cinephiles who live more inside the U.S. and don't get chances to see these films until they hit video (if at all), but unfortunately, the majority is either ignorant of great international cinema, or have no desire to see films different that the all-too-typical Hollywood sensory-stimulation extravaganza (Read: Avatar).

Believe me, I feel very lucky to be so close to a movie Mecca like New York City.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
-

The pre-order is up. Please see first post.

Pro-B
Old 03-17-2010, 10:59 PM   #5

Nov 2007

I got the chance to watch this movie, and although it takes historic licenses (mostly in the way it depicts early christians), I think it's really entertaining.

It has great production values, worthy of any big budget hollywood movie.

The title is already available on Blu Ray in Spain. I hope to get my copy soon (maybe 2 weeks or so - it's my first experience ordering from a spanish store).

Unfortunelly Spain doesn't have an Amazon store, which would be easier to use, at least for those who are used to it.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:27 AM   #6

Nov 2007

Just a few words on the Spanish release:

It's REGION B locked.

PICTURE and AUDIO (English DTS HD master audio) quality is excellent.

The movie itself is obviously english friendly, since it was filmed in english. The only question remaining is about brief texts that contribute to the story, placed at the beginning, in the middle and in the end, that in the screen are in spanish. There are english subtitles available indeed, just for that text, but at least in my blu ray player, they had to be turned on directly from the remote. As far as I could tell, they couldn't be activated in the disc menu.

Extras don't have english subtitles (the only ones that are good without them are trailers and deleted scenes).

I got my copy from fnac.es. I was completely satisfied, except for the shipping price, which is very high, although I must add that it took just 3 days for the BD to arrive to the United States. That's fast !. Obviously, if you are in Europe, it will be cheaper.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
UK

Artwork update:

[Show spoiler]
Old 07-05-2010, 11:16 PM   #8

Oct 2008
Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldheil View Post
Just a few words on the Spanish release:

It's REGION B locked.

PICTURE and AUDIO (English DTS HD master audio) quality is excellent.

The movie itself is obviously english friendly, since it was filmed in english. The only question remaining is about brief texts that contribute to the story, placed at the beginning, in the middle and in the end, that in the screen are in spanish. There are english subtitles available indeed, just for that text, but at least in my blu ray player, they had to be turned on directly from the remote. As far as I could tell, they couldn't be activated in the disc menu.

Extras don't have english subtitles (the only ones that are good without them are trailers and deleted scenes).

I got my copy from fnac.es. I was completely satisfied, except for the shipping price, which is very high, although I must add that it took just 3 days for the BD to arrive to the United States. That's fast !. Obviously, if you are in Europe, it will be cheaper.
Wow! You got lucky because the French Blu-ray version has simply the same Dolby Digital 5.1 (448 kbps) and 2.0 from the DVD. No HD sound!! A shame for such a recent movie!
Old 07-07-2010, 09:10 AM   #9

Oct 2008
Paris

Well after setting the option mixer in my PS3, I found out that the french Blu-ray do actually have Dolby True HD 5.1 and 2.0 on both english and french. No DTS HD on this edition.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:42 PM   #10

Apr 2008

The "Agora" SD is out in the U.K. on 8/16 but no BD (yet). Any idea why or when?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s?url=search...&sprefix=agora
Old 08-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #11

Apr 2008

Also, on the French BD, can you turn off the French subtitles?
Old 08-10-2010, 11:32 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai

The site's review is up.

Agora.jpg

Agora Blu-ray Review
Old 08-11-2010, 12:36 AM   #13

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Titan View Post
The site's review is up.

Attachment 21863

Agora Blu-ray Review
Great review guys. Wonderful film! I bought the French release yesterday. Can't wait to get it.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:22 AM   #14
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldheil View Post
Hello Donald,

Just a quick note - On the French disc all of the text inserts are indeed in English, not Spanish, as they appeared during the Cannes premiere of the film.

Pro-B
Old 08-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #15
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

This is a must have for me. Ordered mine
Old 10-24-2010, 11:55 PM   #16

May 2008

Amazon now lists a North American SD, but still no BR, and not even a page where you can "vote" for one. Sux (latin for sucks).
Old 10-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #17

Feb 2010

I just read elsewhere that the Dutch version of the BD is region-free. Anyone know of an online Dutch store that I can order from?

The movie was released into 17 theaters and grossed just over $600,000 in the U.S. and wasn't even released into theaters in the UK, hence DVD only in both countries.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:24 PM   #18

Oct 2010
Los Angeles
USA Agora Blu-ray in the USA

Just to repeat what I just posted in the "other" Agora thread...

For those of you like me who want to see an American Blu-ray release of this great film, email Newmarket Films and ask them nicely for one!

info@newmarketcap.com

I wouldn't be surprised if it comes later. Especially as more and more people come to hear about this movie, which got almost no theatrical release in the USA.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:23 PM   #19
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009

I'd love it if Newmarket would eventually release a BD of this movie here in the U.S., but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I'm still considering getting a region-free BD player, but in the meantime, I'll just say that you guys who get to watch the French or Spanish BD are really lucky!!
Old 11-09-2010, 05:51 AM   #20

Jul 2009
Santa Cruz CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBonnet View Post
I'd love it if Newmarket would eventually release a BD of this movie here in the U.S., but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I'm still considering getting a region-free BD player, but in the meantime, I'll just say that you guys who get to watch the French or Spanish BD are really lucky!!
As posted on the other Agora Thread:

Good news Agora Blu-Ray seekers!
I waited till I watched my disc before reporting this.

The Dutch version is Region Free, or more correctly, all 3 regions.
It is superbly rendered, has lossless HD sound, it has the introduction and other text in English,
same as the American theatrical version.
The Dutch subtitles can be turned off.
The documentary on the making-of is in Spanish, but about half of has the actors and the production designer speaking English.
Since the only option for subs is Dutch, if you want the full information of the documentary you'll need to rent the DVD.
I will be doing that because I am fascinated with this subject. All of the bonus material is in HD.

To get your copy easily, go to FreeRecordStore.nl. Enter search for Agora BluRay. You can use a translator
to get through the Dutch instructions, but it is set up like any other shopping cart. The quickest way to check out
is with PayPal. It costs about 30 American dollars with shipping, and takes about a week to arrive in the mail.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > France