Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals

Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
RPG Maker MV (Switch)
$40.99
22 hrs ago
Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age (Switch)
$49.94

My Little Riding Champion (Switch)
$14.99

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (Switch)
$29.99

Super Mario Maker 2 (Switch)
$56.55

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate (Switch)
$29.99

Nelke & The Legendary Alchemists: Ateliers of The New World (Switch)
$29.99

Steins;Gate Elite (Switch)
$62.38

Rocket League (Switch)
$26.96

Banner Saga Trilogy (Switch)
$19.99

Darksiders Genesis (Switch)
$119.99

Atelier Lulua: The Scion of Arland (Switch)
$53.97

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch

Old 03-05-2017, 11:30 AM   #41
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface32 View Post
I don't like the new Street Fighters. III was ok, but I didn't care for IV and V. II is my favorite one, and being able to play it on the go is awesome.
Well sure but its not like that's a new concept either. There have been versions of SF2 on virtually every handheld ranging from Gameboy to 3DS and Vita.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:37 AM   #42
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

The only thing that concerns me is the stupid lack of a D-pad on the joy cons. It might make playing this, and any fighter on the Switch sans a Pro controller extremely unpleasant.

So yes it will be nice being able to play it on the go but at the cost of having no d-pad.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:32 PM   #43
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
Well sure but its not like that's a new concept either. There have been versions of SF2 on virtually every handheld ranging from Gameboy to 3DS and Vita.
Im not sure about the Vita, but the other two have poor resolution. Now I can play on the go in 720p.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:33 PM   #44
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
The only thing that concerns me is the stupid lack of a D-pad on the joy cons. It might make playing this, and any fighter on the Switch sans a Pro controller extremely unpleasant.

So yes it will be nice being able to play it on the go but at the cost of having no d-pad.
The PlayStation doesn't have a D-pad, no one complains about it. They are four separated buttons, just like on the Joy-Con.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:05 PM   #45
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
The PlayStation doesn't have a D-pad, no one complains about it. They are four separated buttons, just like on the Joy-Con.
Difference being the jocon is like using the face abxy buttons where as the DS4 isn't. It would be like trying to play a DS4 with which the DS4 obviously isn't like, so they can't really compare to the joy con to the DS4 now can they?
Old 03-05-2017, 05:18 PM   #46
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Wrong. They are not 4 separate buttons. The DS4 d pad is 1 solid d pad with an overlay that separates each direction.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:53 PM   #47
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

After checking Amazon daily, they finally have the game card on pre-order now. (also the digital version is "unavailable" for some odd reason). I just pre-ordered the physical copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
Wrong. They are not 4 separate buttons. The DS4 d pad is 1 solid d pad with an overlay that separates each direction.
Doesn't matter what's under the plastic, it still feels like separate buttons when using the controller.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #48
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010

Old 03-17-2017, 02:21 PM   #49
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talal86 View Post
What now? What can you possibly be annoyed with this time?
Old 03-17-2017, 03:04 PM   #50
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Despite the plastic the separates the 4 sections on the surface, the PS D-pad is still a true d-pad, and acts as one.

Meaning that when turning it on an angle and such, it reacts accordingly.

The concern about the 4 separate buttons on the joycons is different. Maybe they will work okay, but since they are 4 independent buttons, it could potentially cause a problem when doing quarter and half circle motions to do special moves.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #51
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
Despite the plastic the separates the 4 sections on the surface, the PS D-pad is still a true d-pad, and acts as one.

The concern about the 4 separate buttons on the joycons is different. Maybe they will work okay, but since they are 4 independent buttons, it could potentially cause a problem when doing quarter and half circle motions to do special moves.
But the Pro Controller D-Pad had the same issue. Unlike past Nintendo D-Pads, it only registered one direction at a time. You can't, for example, have DOWN and RIGHT registered st the same time. So one is complaining about that.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:32 PM   #52
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post

exactly, if you press down on the ds4 (or any controller with a d-pad for that matter) all the buttons 'move', they're connected. the same can't be said for the buttons

I'm sure capcom will make it work (maybe press down and right/left together instead of a quarter circle motion) but I'd say Mav's concern is warranted
Old 03-17-2017, 06:24 PM   #53
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

In case you don't believe me about what I said in the previous post, here's a video.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:53 AM   #54
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post

I downloaded King of Fighters 98 and was playing it for a little bit. I don't know if you're familiar with the series but Robert and Ryo have a similar move style to Ken and Ryu in regards to directional presses and I can tell you that I had no issues at all performing any of the moves using the four directional buttons (for any of the other characters so far either) I don't foresee an issue with Street Fighter either unless Capcom really screws something up.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:41 AM   #55
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey Parker View Post
I downloaded King of Fighters 98 and was playing it for a little bit. I don't know if you're familiar with the series but Robert and Ryo have a similar move style to Ken and Ryu in regards to directional presses and I can tell you that I had no issues at all performing any of the moves using the four directional buttons (for any of the other characters so far either) I don't foresee an issue with Street Fighter either unless Capcom really screws something up.
That's what I was trying to tell them up there, but they never listen to me. The only difference is the FEEL, which is why their PS4 analogy didn't matter. It may be one button under the plastic, but it feels like it's separated. The actual input though will be fine. The only difference between the 4 buttons and the D-Pad is how is feels to the thumb.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:47 AM   #56
Expert Member

Sep 2012
Vancouver, Canada

The Dualshock 4 D-pad is complete ass. They designed it with inventory management and other secondary functions in mind, not for fighting games. The Pro controller D-pad seems to be better but I can agree with the game probably being uncomfortable to play on the go with the analog sticks only.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:30 PM   #57
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniros View Post
The Dualshock 4 D-pad is complete ass. They designed it with inventory management and other secondary functions in mind, not for fighting games. The Pro controller D-pad seems to be better but I can agree with the game probably being uncomfortable to play on the go with the analog sticks only.
Joystick's aside, as far as I'm concerned, this has and always will be the best gamepad for fighting games. I could pull off moves in Street Fighter 2 with this controller that I simply never could with the SNES controller.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:32 AM   #58
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

I posted this in the Switch topic as well and just in case there's someone who might not actually look at that topic and looks here instead:

If anyone has any 8bitdo controllers (I have the NES30 and SNES30) here's some excellent news, just in time for the release of Ultra Street Fighter II on Friday.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...eet_fighter_ii

Quote:
Peripheral maker 8Bitdo has released a new firmware update for its controllers which enables support for the Nintendo Switch.

The range of pads - which includes the NES30 and SNES30 controllers - are based on classic Nintendo products and boast an exceptional build quality.

While there are obviously some caveats - rumble, motion control and NFC aren't included - the fact that these pads boast proper D-Pads will make them of particular interest to those of you who intend to purchase Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers, or have already bought any of SNK's one-on-one fighters for the Switch, such as Garou: Mark of the Wolves or The King of Fighters '98.
I was playing some of the Neo Geo fighting games earlier and it was definitely easier to pull off moves.

You can also plug the charging cable in to the USB on the Switch dock and charge the 8bitdo controller when the Switch is turned off, just like you can do with the Pro Controller.

You can download the new firmware here and instructions on how to sync with the Switch are on the site.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:49 PM   #59
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

Way of the Hado is complete garbage. I played it twice today, it's just terrible.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:05 AM   #60
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

I haven't gotten to try that mode yet. My copy didn't deliver until almost 7:00. I've played with both the SNES30 pad in docked mode and in handheld mode and the controls are very fluid. With the SNES30 there was no input lag and it felt just like playing it on the SNES.

I will say that trainee difficulty is perfect for younger players. My five year old feels like a Street Fighter master because he was able to beat the game on that difficulty. His face when he got to Bison only for Akuma to jump out was priceless. His score was so high at the end that I've only been able to get in second place so far ha ha.

I did do the update but I haven't tried out online yet. Very happy with the purchase, especially since my son will get to enjoy it as well.

Last edited by Petey Parker; 05-28-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch