Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
A Quiet Place 4K (Blu-ray)
£9.99
22 hrs ago
Parasite 4K (Blu-ray)
£15.99
 
He Came from the Swamp: The William Grefé Collection (Blu-ray)
£39.99
 
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
£59.99
 
Godzilla vs. Kong (Blu-ray)
£12.50
15 hrs ago
The Ring Collection (Blu-ray)
£19.99
 
Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again 4K (Blu-ray)
£5.69
12 hrs ago
Jeepers Creepers (Blu-ray)
£5.99
21 hrs ago
The Hobbit: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
£59.99
1 day ago
Hoop Dreams (Blu-ray)
£9.99
1 day ago
The Matrix Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
£30.40
 
The Krays (Blu-ray)
£23.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 06-12-2021, 04:49 PM   #1741
RossyG RossyG is offline
Special Member
 
RossyG's Avatar
 
Sep 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclea View Post
You mean the country that banned Carmen Jones, Battle of Algiers, Paths of Glory...
Carmen Jones was a copyright issue with the Bizet estate rather than actual censorship.

The other two were banned for political reasons. I can see why Algiers was. It's a very well-made film that's quite immoral (in my opinion) in its condoning of terrorist bombing of civilians for political reasons. Paths was simply embarrassing for the Republic, so they banned it for a while.

But all that was in the 1950s and 60s, of course.

Since then, film censorship has been - for better or worse - very lenient. The censors can only ban films not cut them, but this seldom happens. Texas Chainsaw Massacre was banned back in the day, but I can't recall any others.

I find it quite odd that Eyes Wide Shut and Kiss Ass got U certificates, but their country, their rules.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Drooch (06-12-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 10:09 PM   #1742
Withnail74 Withnail74 is offline
Member
 
Aug 2018
Default

Emmanuelle's original BBFC cuts were due to an "educational" rape scene. Ironically, this wasn't cut on its original cinema release, although many other scenes were.

Ferman campaigned long and hard to get film included in the Obscene Publications Act - ostensibly, this would mean that stronger material could be defended if the work was taken as a whole and considered to be of artistic merit. One side effect, however, was that this rape scene from Emmanuelle was retrospectively cut, as it failed to meet this test.

Lot of info about this on the BBFC case study - that this material exists is a sign that the BBFC are not the organisation they once were in terms of secrecy and the personal whims of senior staff there.

https://www.bbfc.co.uk/education/cas...ies/emmanuelle
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Aclea (06-12-2021), CelestialAgent (06-12-2021), minister_x (06-12-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 10:31 PM   #1743
Agent Kay Agent Kay is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
Agent Kay's Avatar
 
May 2018
57
57
Default

Again, the cover not the movie.
I know what was cut in the movie
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 11:17 PM   #1744
Withnail74 Withnail74 is offline
Member
 
Aug 2018
Default

In the days of VHS, packaging was originally unregulated, but was eventually covered by the Video Packaging Review Committee. It still exists but I believe membership has always been voluntary. The guidelines don't specifically prohibit nudity, and if it's the cover I'm thinking of, it's fairly innocuous breast nudity which wouldn't go against their guidelines - they allow for genre expectations. Keep in mind those were the days when daily newspapers happily had breast nudity!

If the imagery was married with violence or something more explicit or "vulgar", it would probably have been a different story.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Agent Kay (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 07:01 AM   #1745
minister_x minister_x is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
minister_x's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
Dinas Powys, UK
110
694
293
Default

Doesn't the Optimum blu of Emmanuelle also have breast nudity on the front cover? Mind you, I was always amazed at the BFI's blu cover for Salo..., which also clearly has nudity on the cover - and in a less innocuous context!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:23 AM   #1746
Agent Kay Agent Kay is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
Agent Kay's Avatar
 
May 2018
57
57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister_x View Post
Doesn't the Optimum blu of Emmanuelle also have breast nudity on the front cover? Mind you, I was always amazed at the BFI's blu cover for Salo..., which also clearly has nudity on the cover - and in a less innocuous context!
So it does! It's odd how that is fine, but in any other context on a retail shelf I wouldn't be aloud!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
minister_x (06-13-2021)
Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM   #1747
DTSBOY DTSBOY is offline
Senior Member
 
DTSBOY's Avatar
 
Nov 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister_x View Post
Mind you, I was always amazed at the BFI's blu cover for Salo..., which also clearly has nudity on the cover - and in a less innocuous context!
Aye, the two nekid women wearing the dog collars and their mouths wide open. Couldn't even begin to guess what's going on...
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
minister_x (Today)
Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM   #1748
Krynoid-Man Krynoid-Man is online now
Active Member
 
Krynoid-Man's Avatar
 
Sep 2020
UK
53
909
216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister_x View Post
Mind you, I was always amazed at the BFI's blu cover for Salo..., which also clearly has nudity on the cover - and in a less innocuous context!
I had to order that online because I was too embarrassed to take it to the counter in HMV
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
DTSBOY (Yesterday), minister_x (Today)
Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM   #1749
Killer Meteor Killer Meteor is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Jan 2013
39
1672
245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTSBOY View Post
Aye, the two nekid women wearing the dog collars and their mouths wide open. Couldn't even begin to guess what's going on...
On my A-Z collection listing on this site, it's right next to the Sailor Moons, which makes it look even more awkward!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
DTSBOY (Yesterday), minister_x (Today)
Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM   #1750
DTSBOY DTSBOY is offline
Senior Member
 
DTSBOY's Avatar
 
Nov 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krynoid-Man View Post
I had to order that online because I was too embarrassed to take it to the counter in HMV
There's gonna' be a spike in sales (good 'ol Spike) because of this chat, you realise that.
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM   #1751
DTSBOY DTSBOY is offline
Senior Member
 
DTSBOY's Avatar
 
Nov 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Meteor View Post
On my A-Z collection listing on this site, it's right next to the Sailor Moons, which makes it look even more awkward!
Try explaining the Cannibal Holocaust artwork to any guests you may have over.

What a conversation that'll be.
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM   #1752
Killer Meteor Killer Meteor is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Jan 2013
39
1672
245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTSBOY View Post
Try explaining the Cannibal Holocaust artwork to any guests you may have over.

What a conversation that'll be.
My secret shame!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
DTSBOY (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM   #1753
DTSBOY DTSBOY is offline
Senior Member
 
DTSBOY's Avatar
 
Nov 2007
Default

Aye, keep all the, ahem, sick, twisted, deranged (pick whichever) in a drawer.
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM   #1754
Krynoid-Man Krynoid-Man is online now
Active Member
 
Krynoid-Man's Avatar
 
Sep 2020
UK
53
909
216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTSBOY View Post
There's gonna' be a spike in sales (good 'ol Spike) because of this chat, you realise that.
The BFI are posting our checks as we speak
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
DTSBOY (Yesterday), minister_x (Today)
Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM   #1755
drush9999 drush9999 is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
drush9999's Avatar
 
Nov 2016
Sutton Coldfield, England
22
2683
550
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krynoid-Man View Post
I had to order that online because I was too embarrassed to take it to the counter in HMV
Surprised that never had a tamer slip

Last edited by drush9999; Yesterday at 03:41 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM   #1756
DTSBOY DTSBOY is offline
Senior Member
 
DTSBOY's Avatar
 
Nov 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krynoid-Man View Post
The BFI are posting our checks as we speak
Only 11 left in stock on Amazon. I'm telling ya' those will be sold out by 6 o'clock.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Krynoid-Man (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM   #1757
Drooch Drooch is offline
Banned
 
Mar 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclea View Post
No, angry little man. AntiChrist was banned in France and the 'corrupt' classifiers buckled and re-rated the film under outside pressure;
Idiot. None of that changes the fact that the French classifiers rated it an uncut 16, and they do not sell cuts to studios, ruining the films to make money… unlike the corrupt BBFC who do this routinely.

The fact that forces outside the control of the French classifiers forced them to re-rate the film, and that the film remained in limbo for a short time while the courts deliberated, doesn’t help your point at all. Fail.


Quote:
Before your next angry rant or accusations of lies when your claims don't hold up to scrutiny,
You’re projecting your own anger there sweetheart, and if I’ve called out users for BS it has been entirely accurate and appropriate.


Quote:
I also suggest you do some research into the funding and creation of the BBFC, a private company formed by - but not owned by - the film industry. The Wikipedia page is a good place to start. It is a private company that interacts with and takes soundings from the public but ultimately is an industry body.
I suggest you, first, stop bending over for the censors and making endless simpering excuses for them cutting our films for profit when classification bodies in equivalent countries, like France, correctly don’t engage in such practices; and secondly to read the BBFC’s current mission statement which makes no mention of their corrupt cuts-for-cash practices. The moment they changed their name from the BBFCensorship to the BBFClassification they should have stopped censoring films, they haven’t, because there’s money in it.

Finally, there is no excuse for censoring artistic content for adults in a modern liberal democracy, but I’m sure your pathological submissiveness will compel you to scrape the barrel for one. Let’s hear it…
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM   #1758
dallywhitty dallywhitty is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
dallywhitty's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
The Macroverse
101
1210
188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krynoid-Man View Post
I had to order that online because I was too embarrassed to take it to the counter in HMV
I remember being on holiday with my family when I was eighteen and spotting the BD in HMV, but I didn't have any photo ID, so my dad bought it on my behalf. Later I was flicking through the booklet and my mum leaned over and asked, 'You enjoying your porn, son?'
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Aclea (Yesterday), CelestialAgent (Yesterday), drush9999 (Yesterday), Markgway (Today), minister_x (Today)
Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM   #1759
Drooch Drooch is offline
Banned
 
Mar 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclea View Post
No, by your standards the fact that the rating was changed on appeal is incontrovertible evidence of 'corruption.'
By the standards you just invented perhaps, but absolutely nothing to do with mine.
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM   #1760
Killer Meteor Killer Meteor is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Jan 2013
39
1672
245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drooch View Post
Idiot. None of that changes the fact that the French classifiers rated it an uncut 16, and they do not sell cuts to studios, ruining the films to make money… unlike the corrupt BBFC who do this routinely.

The fact that forces outside the control of the French classifiers forced them to re-rate the film, and that the film remained in limbo for a short time while the courts deliberated, doesn’t help your point at all. Fail.
I had no idea we were allowed to call people idiots on here! I've been unecessarily polite.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Aclea (Yesterday), dallywhitty (Yesterday), minister_x (Today)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:50 PM.