Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Dune 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99
15 hrs ago
Friday the 13th Collection (Blu-ray)
$99.99
10 hrs ago
Dune 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99
16 hrs ago
Sphinx (Blu-ray)
$17.99
2 hrs ago
The Vincent Price Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.99
1 day ago
The 'Burbs (Blu-ray)
$17.99
3 hrs ago
They Live 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.99
1 day ago
Labyrinth 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.49
15 hrs ago
Event Horizon (Blu-ray)
$20.99
1 day ago
The Poison Ivy Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.99
1 day ago
Wild at Heart (Blu-ray)
$13.79
18 hrs ago
Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old Today, 06:10 PM   #2801

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Ah, the old chestnut of “it’s the makeup!” that makes them look like that. It’s a powerful type of makeup that also removes grain from film though…
Oh I wasn't saying "its not DNR, its just heavy make-up", I was saying that the make-up looked scarily heavy, which I took it as being something that the clarity of blu-ray was revealing to me for the first time. I wasn't sure if this is what people had been referring to when they described everyone as wax-works in older posts. I had expected everyone to be completely scrubbed of any lines or details in their faces. Perhaps its something I'll see more clearly in subsequent Trek movies.

I did notice the lack of grain though, and even though this may have me hanged on this forum, that didn't really bother me at all.
Last week I watched the entire Back to the Future trilogy (iTunes 4k Dolby Vision) and I must confess that the excessive grain in some of the scenes in the first movie was extremely distracting, although it wasn't as noticeable in the other two movies. Or maybe I just got more used to it and stopped noticing as they went on.......
Old Today, 06:11 PM   #2802
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
It's not that - just the DNR on top of the makeup makes the crew look even more waxy than they should.
Even so: it’s not the makeup itself that’s doing it. (Same bullshit trotted out regarding the dreadful Paramount BD of Zulu.)
Old Today, 06:14 PM   #2803
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmblueocean81 View Post
Oh I wasn't saying "its not DNR, its just heavy make-up", I was saying that the make-up looked scarily heavy, which I took it as being something that the clarity of blu-ray was revealing to me for the first time. I wasn't sure if this is what people had been referring to when they described everyone as wax-works in older posts. I had expected everyone to be completely scrubbed of any lines or details in their faces. Perhaps its something I'll see more clearly in subsequent Trek movies.

I did notice the lack of grain though, and even though this may have me hanged on this forum, that didn't really bother me at all.
Last week I watched the entire Back to the Future trilogy (iTunes 4k Dolby Vision) and I must confess that the excessive grain in some of the scenes in the first movie was extremely distracting, although it wasn't as noticeable in the other two movies. Or maybe I just got more used to it and stopped noticing as they went on.......
The “clarity” of Blu-ray has nothing to do with it; stripping the grain away with some of the worst DNR I’ve ever seen on ST VI is what does it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America