Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Les MisÚrables 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96
8 hrs ago
The Night of the Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Serpico 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Sisu 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.36
 
The Package (Blu-ray)
$12.49
8 hrs ago
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
21 hrs ago
The Longest Yard 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Hustle (Blu-ray)
$14.99
1 hr ago
National Lampoon's Vacation 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
8 hrs ago
Needful Things 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49
 
Marathon Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99
6 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #1
121212 121212 is offline
Active Member
 
May 2013
Hong Kong
Hong Kong Fearless Hyena Blu-ray (Region A) (English Subtitled) Jackie Chan 1979 Kung Fu movie

Fearless Hyena Blu-ray (1979)
(Region A) (English Subtitled)
Director: Jackie Chan
Producer: Xu Li Hua
Starring: Jackie Chan, Dean Shek, James Tien, Chen Tien Tze
Distributor: Kam & Ronson Enterprises Co., Ltd. (HK)
Release Date: 09 July 2013
Synopsis: In this directorial debut, Jackie plays Lung, a talented fighter but prefers to spend his time loafing around and picking fights, despite orders from his grandfather (James Tien) not to fight. Unknown to him, a brutal general (Yam Sai Kun) has been slaughtering all the people from his grandfather's clan. When the general recognizes Lung's style of kung fu during one of his street fights, he hunts down Lung's grandfather and kills him.

A grieving Lung plans his vengeance and is aided by crippled kung fu master who imparts to him a new kind of "emotional kung fu". Mentally and physically ready, Lung finally seeks out the wicked general to see justice done.

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
Cactus Cactus is offline
Senior Member
 
Cactus's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
106
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121212 View Post
Distributor: Skam & Upscale Enterprises Co., Ltd. (HK)
There, I fixed it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
OldPangYau OldPangYau is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
OldPangYau's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
596
194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
There, I fixed it.
In all fairness, while we all used to harp on K&R about the transfers, we now know it's Fortune Star that's to blame, as other FS HD releases in other countries have had the same issue (aside from the real Bruce Lee movies).

That being said... yeah, this'll most likely be the same upscale that was used in Japan. The only thing that could save it are some really good extras, but I doubt there will be any.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
reason108 reason108 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
reason108's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
-
8
Default

Yeah, having extras on an K&M disc is like winning the lottery. haha. They do sometimes contain a trailer though. Only a couple of their releases that I have have any extras at all.

I almost want to get this but do you know if this is an extended cut or anything of that nature? I have the old Simitar and Sony dvd`s of it. And, at this point I can`t remember if those were edited or did not use the original mono. It`s getting to the point that I need an app for that just to keep things straight in my mind. Too many movies and too many non original versions to keep track of.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:28 PM   #5
OldPangYau OldPangYau is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
OldPangYau's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
596
194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason108 View Post
Yeah, having extras on an K&M disc is like winning the lottery. haha. They do sometimes contain a trailer though. Only a couple of their releases that I have have any extras at all.

I almost want to get this but do you know if this is an extended cut or anything of that nature? I have the old Simitar and Sony dvd`s of it. And, at this point I can`t remember if those were edited or did not use the original mono. It`s getting to the point that I need an app for that just to keep things straight in my mind. Too many movies and too many non original versions to keep track of.
Unlike some of the other Lo Wei-produced Jackie Chan films, such as Dragon Fist and New Fist of Fury, Fearless Hyena has pretty much always had the same cut. Only difference usually just being how the opening credits look.

However, there's an 8 minute deleted scene that was used in the pseudo-sequel Fearless Hyena II.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
reason108 reason108 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
reason108's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
-
8
Default

Cool. Thanks for that info. This might be worth another purchase. I think I will watch the movie again and re-evaluate it.

And, if I remember correctly, that outtake was the only thing that Jackie had to do with FH2.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:44 AM   #7
OldPangYau OldPangYau is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
OldPangYau's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
596
194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason108 View Post
Cool. Thanks for that info. This might be worth another purchase. I think I will watch the movie again and re-evaluate it.

And, if I remember correctly, that outtake was the only thing that Jackie had to do with FH2.
Watching it again, Jackie seemed to have filmed a couple of short scenes before finally getting out of it altogether. I used to think they were extra deleted scenes from the first FH, but his hair is much shorter than the restaurant scene. Even in "I Am Jackie Chan", he said he was basically forced to work on one more Lo Wei film before Jimmy Wang Yu saved him... it was probably FHII. It gets mighty confusing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:57 AM   #8
reason108 reason108 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
reason108's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
-
8
Default

Just re-watched the Columbia/TriStar dvd of Fearless Hyena. Horrible! It almost looked like the movie was out of focus/ghosted. I haven`t watched the movie in years and did not realize how bad it looks on HD monitor. May end up getting the K&R blu after all.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
121212 121212 is offline
Active Member
 
May 2013
Hong Kong
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason108 View Post
Just re-watched the Columbia/TriStar dvd of Fearless Hyena. Horrible! It almost looked like the movie was out of focus/ghosted. I haven`t watched the movie in years and did not realize how bad it looks on HD monitor. May end up getting the K&R blu after all.
The HK classic movies were filmed with poor picture to begin with (no HD at that moment). The HK blu-rays are coming up now is with average quality, probably not much better than an upscaled remastered DVD.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #10
hazelwu hazelwu is offline
Power Member
 
Jun 2011
Alhambra, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121212 View Post
The HK classic movies were filmed with poor picture to begin with (no HD at that moment). The HK blu-rays are coming up now is with average quality, probably not much better than an upscaled remastered DVD.
Right, there was only film, which is better than HD. HK was using cheaper films though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #11
reason108 reason108 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
reason108's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
-
8
Default

I think this is more of an issue of how Columbia/Tristar transferred the film to dvd(authored?). The quality is better than the Simitar dvd release. But, in some scenes, the image looks blurry; or with a ghosting effect of the image. But, back in the day, on an CRT TV, it was not something that I ever noticed. But, on HD TV, it looks like crap.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #12
benricci benricci is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
benricci's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelwu View Post
Right, there was only film, which is better than HD. HK was using cheaper films though.
I'm a little tired if this misinformation. Hong Kong productions generally used the same 35mm film stock (mostly Fuji/Kodak) and anamorphic glass lenses available to the rest of the world at the time. They were lower budget productions, yes. But they weren't filmed on "inferior" or "poor" stock.

The main issue is preservation and restoration. When done right, HD masters can look stunning (see the Shaw Brothers catalog from this era, remastered from original negatives and other film elements). When you transfer crappy fifth generation prints (see most low-budget martial arts films from this era), your results are equally crappy.

And most HK films of this era have not been treated well over the years, further perpetuating this notion that they were filmed poorly to begin with. Quickly? Yes. Inexpensively? Yes. Poorly? No.

Last edited by benricci; 07-05-2013 at 05:27 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #13
hazelwu hazelwu is offline
Power Member
 
Jun 2011
Alhambra, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benricci View Post
I'm a little tired if this misinformation. Hong Kong productions generally used the same 35mm film stock (mostly Fuji/Kodak) and anamorphic glass lenses available to the rest of the world at the time. They were lower budget productions, yes. But they weren't filmed on "inferior" or "poor" stock.

The main issue is preservation and restoration. When done right, HD masters can look stunning (see the Shaw Brothers catalog from this era, remastered from original negatives and other film elements). When you transfer crappy fifth generation prints (see most low-budget martial arts films from this era), your results are equally crappy.

And most HK films of this era have not been treated well over the years, further perpetuating this notion that they were filmed poorly to begin with. Quickly? Yes. Inexpensively? Yes. Poorly? No.
Thanks. Internet is where all knowledge and rumors comes from, but takes time to tell them apart.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #14
benricci benricci is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
benricci's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelwu View Post
Thanks. Internet is where all knowledge and rumors comes from, but takes time to tell them apart.
From what I've read, Jackie himself invested heavily in camera equipment when he first had the itch to direct in the late 1970s. There was also the popular rumour he used to by film by the ton from Fuji because of how many takes his action scenes took to film. From the amount of outtakes in some of those films, I believe it, lol.

Here's a promo shot of him directing with the camera crew members used to call "lucky number 4" - at least according to the caption. I think it's an ARRI, but I'm no expert on motion picture cameras.


Last edited by benricci; 07-06-2013 at 09:44 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #15
OldPangYau OldPangYau is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
OldPangYau's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
596
194
Default

If you watch the outtakes to Police Story 2, you'll see how many cameras he had lined up for the grand finale of the factory explosion. Obviously it was a one-take only scenario
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #16
benricci benricci is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
benricci's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
1
Default

My copy just shipped. Should arrive next week - I'll post a quick a/v review then.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:24 AM   #17
aps42 aps42 is offline
Junior Member
 
aps42's Avatar
 
Dec 2012
Scotland
2
1
1
United Kingdom

excited for this one to arrive (along with Young master and Dragons forever) we just need the original Drunken Master on blu too now.. one can dream.. anyone know if this is a possibility any time soon?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:57 AM   #18
OldPangYau OldPangYau is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
OldPangYau's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
596
194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aps42 View Post
excited for this one to arrive (along with Young master and Dragons forever) we just need the original Drunken Master on blu too now.. one can dream.. anyone know if this is a possibility any time soon?
Well, the Columbia DVD said it was "remastered in high definition", so hopefully they still have said master. Perhaps they could give it to Twilight Time? Then again, while it's uncut, it has the English language opening credits due to being from a export print... not to mention the incomplete Cantonese, but that can easily be extracted elsewhere.

As for an HK release, it would most likely be Mei Ah, since they at least had DVD/VCD rights. Japan I think also was Sony/Columbia on DVD.

Either way, Fortune Star doesn't seem to have it, so at least an upconvert may be less of a potential issue ;-)
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #19
hazelwu hazelwu is offline
Power Member
 
Jun 2011
Alhambra, CA
Default

Confirmed to be an upscale.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #20
OldPangYau OldPangYau is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
OldPangYau's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
596
194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelwu View Post
Confirmed to be an upscale.
No surprise, especially since the Japanese blu-ray was an upscale as well. The only upside was that the colors were a bit better than the DVD.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia

Tags
action, comedy, fight, martial arts

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:20 PM.