Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Venom: Let There Be Carnage 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.99
1 day ago
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.18
1 hr ago
Ronin 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
The Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection Vol 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$38.99
10 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 day ago
The Manchurian Candidate 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Sherlock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$39.99
1 day ago
The Batman 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 day ago
Halloween Ends 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.99
1 day ago
Cool Hand Luke 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99
1 day ago
Jurassic World: Dominion 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 day ago
Dune 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 01-11-2021, 08:59 AM   #28941
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Everything is all connected and tonight I watched, and listened to, my first movie with an ATMOS track: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 4K disc. I had so much fun! I felt like I was in someone else's home. I waited waaaaay too long to do this.

I can't wait to see what a subwoofer does for me; it is the next phase of my little project.
Coincidently I watched that last night too.
Thanks given by:
Vilya (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 11:27 AM   #28942
Power Member

Feb 2010

Quote:
Everything is all connected and tonight I watched, and listened to, my first movie with an ATMOS track: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 4K disc. I had so much fun! I felt like I was in someone else's home. I waited waaaaay too long to do this.

I can't wait to see what a subwoofer does for me; it is the next phase of my little project.
Welcome to the world of immersive audio! Itís a lot of fun here. Glad to hear the install went well. Adding the sub(s) will be as fun if not more when that lands, plus no ladders with that project!
Thanks given by:
bhampton (01-11-2021), Vilya (01-11-2021), Wendell R. Breland (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 03:53 PM   #28943
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
In the 43 some odd years that I have wired speakers I have never had any issue with connecting bare wire to the speaker terminals.
I am the opposite, have always used spade terminals (AR-3a) speakers or Pomona brand banana jacks and plugs. I have the advantage of being a tech person and a fair amount professional tools for electronics and wiring work. I would not expect the enthusiast to have such items. As you can see from the picture connecting bare speaker wires to my audio amps would be quite a challenge.

The important thing, you are enjoying your setup. Always good to see that. I believe you will be equally thrilled when you add a sub(s), it will be like watching Lucy or Blade Runner 49 for the first time.

[Show spoiler]
Thanks given by:
bhampton (01-11-2021), cheez avenger (01-11-2021), Vilya (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 05:58 PM   #28944
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
I know you guys are sensitive, who said anything about Discs Fading. I said Sony was moving away from Discs. When I talked to those Support Techs it was a few years ago around 2018.
You can not prove this, its just more of your BS!!!!

Quote:
With the new Sony Bravia XR and "Pure Stream," you tell me if they aren't moving in that direction!
You are so far behind its not even . Sony brought out the FMP-X1 in 2013. The concept was no different than Bravia Core is today, that is to make Sony (only) content available to only certain models of their hardware. It is nothing more than an incentive to purchase Sony hardware. FYI, I procured a FMP-X10 in late 2014 or early 2015.

The positive conclusion one can derive from Sony Bravia Core streaming, “If you want UHD Blu-ray disc quality then you must have similar data rates”. Of course many here already know this so nothing new.

Last edited by Wendell R. Breland; 01-11-2021 at 06:05 PM. Reason: change wording
Old 01-11-2021, 06:53 PM   #28945
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2009
Silicon Valley - where you never run out of toys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
The positive conclusion one can derive from Sony Bravia Core streaming, “If you want UHD Blu-ray disc quality then you must have similar data rates”. Of course many here already know this so nothing new.
As posted earlier this is nothing but a another vain attempt to promote more expensive Bravia TVs that you can watch movies by streaming.

Where it fails is people finding out that 20-30 GB a hour quickly eat ups your internet providers data cap.

Also its limited to Sony titles that a lot of people that do have the money to quite these TVs already likely have BD'd and UHD BD's of that content. That is literally why HBO Max doesn't interest me, I have a lot of what they have already with older movies.

If this Bravia Core streaming had offered Sony PVOD that would be different, but even then they choose to limit to their new TV buyers, it will fail and stuff will just show up on Crackle!

Last edited by JohnAV; 01-11-2021 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:04 PM   #28946
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2017
Vacationland
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Where it fails is people finding out that 20-30 GB a hour quickly eat ups your inter providers data cap.
Luckily, my provider does not have data caps...yet.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:10 PM   #28947
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Which providers have data caps?

https://www.highspeedinternet.com/re...have-data-caps
Old 01-11-2021, 07:19 PM   #28948
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollar Colonel View Post
Luckily, my provider does not have data caps...yet.
Since I utilize Comcast Xfinity (1.2 TB cap) and watch how much I have downloaded on occasionally yeah you can see if you watch a lot of iTunes or MoviesAnywhere 4K content it accelerates consumption.

Comparing first few min of 4K Doctor Strange stream

iTunes/Movies Anywhere were very close with 32 Mbps peak, 24 Mbps average for peaks, but when watch bit rate it usually 17-19 Mbps.

Interestingly Disney+ was lower, showed 22 Mbps peak, 17 Mbps average for peaks, but when watch bit rate it usually 11-13 Mbps.

So I approximated the consumption rate with that 20-30 GB

Netflix is similar to Disney speeds looking at HUD om Apple TV 4k

Quote:
Low - 0.3 GB per hour per device
Medium - SD: 0.7 GB per hour per device
High - Best video quality, up to 3 GB per hour per device for HD, and 7 GB per hour per device for Ultra HD
So if you have a 22-24Mbps 4K stream and that is 7 GB a hour, something 3 to 4 times (Bravia Core 80 Mbps) that would be 20-30 GB per hour approximately.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:23 PM   #28949
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
The positive conclusion one can derive from Sony Bravia Core streaming, ďIf you want UHD Blu-ray disc quality then you must have similar data ratesĒ. Of course many here already know this so nothing new.
You guys called it here it is Sony Bravia Core Streaming:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/bravia-core
Old 01-11-2021, 07:28 PM   #28950
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
If I wanted to pay $30 extra per month with Xfinity it would be unlimited, But I haven't gone over any month. Sill that article failed to supply any of the cell/telecom data caps which are considerably lower.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:33 PM   #28951
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
You guys called it here it is Sony Bravia Core Streaming:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/bravia-core
Your not telling us anything really? We called it Bravia Core, could care less it is Sony Bravia Core Streaming.

Also before you sing the praises, UHD BD bitrates go higher then this service. I have seen close to 110 Mbps peak bit rate playing many media titles, with lossless audio, not lossy.

So even if you want to claim this is so good, I will call your bluff, that nothing available by streaming beats a local digital file residing on UHD media or downloaded by Kaleidoscope as far as PQ/AQ.

Reference
Quote:
BRAVIA CORE features Pure Stream ™ which offers streaming between 30MB/s - 80MB/s. To access Pure Stream™ at 30MB/s, you must have a minimum internet speed of 43MB/s. To access highest quality Pure Stream™ available at 80MB/s you must have a minimum internet speed of 115MB/s. BRAVIA CORE is not responsible for network restrictions or available bandwidth. Network service provider restrictions and terms may apply.

Last edited by JohnAV; 01-11-2021 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:01 PM   #28952
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2007
BJ's Wholesale Club

Quote:
So even if you want to claim this is so good, I will call your bluff, that nothing available by streaming beats a local digital file residing on UHD media or downloaded by Kaleidoscope as far as PQ/AQ.
Right. And since Kaleidoscope doesn't appeal to me UHD media is the obvious choice.

Apparently I have enough UHD discs to watch a different one every night of the year. Living the dream, I love my theater so much.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:03 PM   #28953
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
As posted earlier this is nothing but a another vain attempt to promote more expensive Bravia TVs that you can watch movies by streaming.
Donít you just love the marketing folks:

Quote:
Use your BRAVIA CORE credits to choose what you want to watch, in up to 4K HDR quality.

BRAVIA CORE features Pure Streamô, streaming at up to 80 Mbps, delivering lossless 4K UHD picture quality on a wide range of content.
If I were younger I would contest lossless 4K UHD picture statement. I would like to think most everyone that visits this site knows that is a false statement.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (01-12-2021), JohnAV (01-11-2021), Vilya (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 09:26 PM   #28954
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Gotham
Default Every Day The Future Gets Closer

Bravia Core. PureStream 4K today, 8K tomorrow.

Data caps? The world is full of cheap, accessible, unlimited internet access.

The future. You're either in or you're in the way.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:33 PM   #28955
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

I read that Appleís AR glasses are entering phase 2 (of 3). I wonder what the probability of those glasses replacing the TV set are?

Itís rumoured that you will have the ability to lock a virtual screen into one position in your living room (a wall for example) and have it stay a
In that position whenever you enter the room.

At that stage, why buy a tv when you can just download the app on your AR glasses?

I wonder what the timeline would be for mainstream adoption if it were to happen? Maybe talk of laser projectors and MicroLED would be mute?

Finally, would you guys be excited about replacing the living room tv with a virtual screen size of your choice? How would you feel about wearing glasses all day if you didnít have to?
Thanks given by:
bhampton (01-12-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 09:41 PM   #28956
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpublic View Post
The world is full of cheap, accessible, unlimited internet access.
Is that based on internet provider maps that claim hookups for your address but there are no hookup for your address when they check on site. Keep dreaming.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:50 PM   #28957
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Gotham
Default Let Freedom Ring

Quote:
Is that based on provider maps that claim hookups for your address but there are no hookup for your address. Keep dreaming.
The world is much larger than the United States and the UK, where elected officials have accepted beaucoup bucks to keep their cable conglomerate contributors in the pink and their constituents in the dark ages.

Fast, reliable and affordable internet access is a right, and is coming if the US wants to remain competitive.

Until then, unlimited access in your instance is a $30 premium, about the price of a new UHD release.

Think about it.
Thanks given by:
flyry (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 10:40 PM   #28958
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

If "fast, reliable, and affordable internet access is a right" I would like to see the statute, or even a proposed statute, that says so. Take your time.

My ISP imposes data caps with all of their plans and there is no option for "unlimited access." They charge an extra fee for every 50 GB used, or fraction thereof, when a customer exceeds their data cap.

Even if someone chooses to be the ultimate Luddite when it comes to the internet, how does that put them "in the way" of those that wish to embrace all that it offers? It doesn't. Regardless of how much, or how little, I use streaming it in no way prevents anyone else from streaming to their heart's content.

Last edited by Vilya; 01-11-2021 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:44 PM   #28959
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I read that Apple’s AR glasses are entering phase 2 (of 3). I wonder what the probability of those glasses replacing the TV set are?

It’s rumoured that you will have the ability to lock a virtual screen into one position in your living room (a wall for example) and have it stay a
In that position whenever you enter the room.

At that stage, why buy a tv when you can just download the app on your AR glasses?

I wonder what the timeline would be for mainstream adoption if it were to happen? Maybe talk of laser projectors and MicroLED would be mute?

Finally, would you guys be excited about replacing the living room tv with a virtual screen size of your choice? How would you feel about wearing glasses all day if you didn’t have to?
As a novelty it might be appealing, but I doubt that I would like to wear AR glasses for extended periods. Three hours of wearing passive 3D glasses is my limit.

I'm keeping my TVs.

Last edited by Vilya; 01-11-2021 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:55 PM   #28960
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
As a novelty it might be appealing, but I doubt that I would like to wear AR glasses for extended periods. Three hours of wearing passive 3D glasses is my limit.

I'm keeping my TVs.
I take it you donít wear specs?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology